• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official: SSBPD unsupported; source code released.

NNID
dansalvato
The **** is going on at wavedash.net its someone's blog with instructions how to wavedash in smash. I'm confused, who owns this and can we buy it off them? apparently they hosted grass roots tournaments so it's got to be someone connected to smash.
I currently own wavedash.org, and I prefer the .org suffix anyway, especially for an informational website.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I currently own wavedash.org, and I prefer the .org suffix anyway, especially for an informational website.
That gets my vote, I'm not a fan of .org but it works and I don't think it makes much of a difference, especially if you own it and want to use it for something smash related.

On the other hand, SSBPD is fine too.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
That was one of the best parts of the name IMO. There is no reason to discriminate between games. I prefer melee and don't care for the other games, but that doesn't mean I want to keep resources from those communities. The melee community gains from the successes of smash in general. Even though brawl was purposely designed to be uncompetitive, it is better for the community on the whole to support them. As an example, if we never supported brawl, 3 years later P:M wouldn't have been released.

tl;dr, play nice, include everyone.

Boat Mode

Smash Journeyman
That was one of the best parts of the name IMO. There is no reason to discriminate between games. I prefer melee and don't care for the other games, but that doesn't mean I want to keep resources from those communities. The melee community gains from the successes of smash in general. Even though brawl was purposely designed to be uncompetitive, it is better for the community on the whole to support them. As an example, if we never supported brawl, 3 years later P:M wouldn't have been released.

tl;dr, play nice, include everyone.
My intention wasn't exclude to Brawl. I just didn't know there were long term plans to extend it to the brawl community. I thought that as a melee specific resource, the name was too generic. Thanks for the insight.

NNID
dansalvato
I don't consider a name such as wavedash.org to be discriminatory. The point is that every Smash player can identify with the term, similarly to how every fighting game player can identify with the term "Shoryuken".

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
So. . . progress report? Sounded like it would be less than a month (unless something bad happened) and that was posted over a month ago. Did something bad happen?

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Owch, I hope they are all fixed soon. Perhaps ssbpd was built on an Indian burial ground and is cursed. That **** happens all the time.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
So. . . progress report? Sounded like it would be less than a month (unless something bad happened) and that was posted over a month ago. Did something bad happen?
The time that I had allocated toward working on the database just happened to be the week that Windows decided it no longer had a desire to function properly. I have a new machine now (I've needed to upgrade for a long while), but I've yet to actually put more time into the database. Sorry about that, I should be working on it again after the Thanksgiving family chaos ends. If I keep having to put it aside, I'll release the source code as-is with some very basic documentation if other people want to try to help out.

NNID
dansalvato
I may be interested in contributing, but I have a vision of combining the database with additional social features and a good forum to facilitate moving away from Smashboards. What's your opinion on that?

C.SDK

Smash Ace
wavedash sounds cool but imo, it's like an inside joke type of deal where only smashers know what that means and think about the Brawl players!!

Though it'd be fine if it's meant for Melee only rankings and our own cool little site but if you want to appeal to a mass audience, you need a neutral name that talks about smash, but still isn't vague like wavedash, lol. If I were a newbie, I would not know what that is and even more so if I'm a Brawl player. About fighting this site for the #1 spot, to be honest, it shouldn't matter. Word will spread through word of mouth, recommendations, anyone who wants to check out the rankings will find it. Unless people are planning on doing what IE has planned (a full blown Smash site), then you might worry about trying to be on top to get the most hits. Which reminds me, I'm gonna message you, IE. I have something to tell you! =p

Btw, I need a new homepage for smashworld.net
Does anyone have a good video I can link to? lol. (in case y'all haven't noticed, the "(laughs)" text is a hyperlink!)

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
More clearly, the project's tournament file collection has only included Melee tournaments, but the new player database website will accept games that aren't Melee if people want to submit them.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Still in development. With the news that Smashboards was no longer owned by MLG we've started considering more ideas with how to implement SSBPD directly into Smashboards.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
We have access to the raw TIO uploads from the original SSBPD site (or at least the post-crash version), right?

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
I created something similar for the Spanish community of Smash a while ago.

How do you handle adding old tournaments (older than the last tournament added)?

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I created something similar for the Spanish community of Smash a while ago.

How do you handle adding old tournaments (older than the last tournament added)?
If you mean how do you recalculate when putting in old tournaments, I'm pretty sure it didn't happen on the fly. They either had a button or an automatic "recalculate everything".

Top Bottom