• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm not talking about female characters in general, I'm talking about Krystal in Smash Bros.

Reading comprehension is your friend!
Ha ha. No, you were strongly suggesting that I was against Krystal simply because she is female.

Krystal first and foremost does not deserve to be in Smash Bros. since the Star Fox series has more than enough characters, especially for a series of its size and popularity. The series is already oversaturated, and most Star Fox fans (even Krystal fans) feel the series does not need anymore characters. She also has done nothing in the games of real importance outside of Adventures, to warrant here being selected for a playable position.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Chrono is saying that most (not all. Remember most =/= all. Like 80 is not 100, although being most of it) people who got introduced to the Star Fox series through the SNES or 64 game dislike Krystal because she was introduced as a character in a game that marked the "downfall" of the series - at least in opinion of most (!) of those people who played the prequels. Not to mention Adventures wasn't even supposed to be a Star Fox game to begin with, but eh...
Oh yeah, I know, Spade. I'm just singling him out because the main cause of arguments about characters such as Krystal (heck, throw in Ridley, Geno, K. Rool, anyone really) is just the fact that some people just flat out don't like the character and will come up with anything to use as an argument.

The reason I left this thread is because I realized that I don't care what other people think Smash Bros. should be like/should have, etc., and people don't need to care what I think either.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh yeah, I know, Spade. I'm just singling him out because the main cause of arguments about characters such as Krystal (heck, throw in Ridley, Geno, K. Rool, anyone really) is just the fact that some people just flat out don't like the character and will come up with anything to use as an argument.

The reason I left this thread is because I realized that I don't care what other people think Smash Bros. should be like/should have, etc., and people don't need to care what I think either.
Ridley and K. Rool are ACTUALLY important to their franchise.

...and Geno's awesomeness beats anyone

§leepy God

Smash Master
Hey, as long as Banjo and Kazooie are in the next game, the rest of the characters don't matter. <3
You forget that Rare is no longer with Nintendo. I don't even think Nintendo will even get his game from the 64 and put it in the VC. Remember that Nut's and Bolts are on 360 and not Wii, (to me, Xbox killed Rare).

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Importance in their series doesn't really matter that much, because Falco (who didn't do anything important before Melee) got to be in Melee over Wolf who is Fox's arch rival. Jigglypuff, Lucario, Pit, Ice Climbers, Snake, Luigi, (when he was first in Smash) Captain Falcon, Ness, and Lucas aren't very signifigant to Nintendo and they all got in anyways. Why should it be different for Krystal? Aside from people hating Krystal just for being furry bait (the same could be said for Falco being Tier Q bait) or afraid that she would replace a certain high tier character, there's no good reason to not put Krystal into SSB4. Maybe have 4 slots if they need their high-tier, chain throwing, tourney winning bird, but there could be replacing if there has to be like Lucario and Mewtwo was.

PS: SF 64 is the only SF game I like (although I would give the 1st one a chance) and Krystal is still my favorite SF character.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Importance in their series doesn't really matter that much, because Falco (who didn't do anything important before Melee) got to be in Melee over Wolf who is Fox's arch rival. Jigglypuff, Lucario, Pit, Ice Climbers, Snake, Luigi, (when he was first in Smash) Captain Falcon, Ness, and Lucas aren't very signifigant to Nintendo and they all got in anyways. Why should it be different for Krystal? Aside from people hating Krystal just for being furry bait (the same could be said for Falco being Tier Q bait) or afraid that she would replace a certain high tier character, there's no good reason to not put Krystal into SSB4. Maybe have 4 slots if they need their high-tier, chain throwing, tourney winning bird, but there could be replacing if there has to be like Lucario and Mewtwo was.
Hell will freeze over if Krystal replaces Falco. Falco fortunately lucked out by being top tier again for Brawl which really puts a wrench into the plans by Krystal fans who say, "LOL let's just cut Falco, that way SF isn't overepresented". They can't go after Wolf either because Wolf can't let Krystals fans do that...

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Krystal still has a good chance of getting into SSB4, even with the people who are so fixated on not having Krystal in SSB4 that they ignore any legimate reason that Krystal could be in.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Hell will freeze over if Krystal replaces Falco. Falco fortunately lucked out by being top tier again for Brawl which really puts a wrench into the plans by Krystal fans who say, "LOL let's just cut Falco, that way SF isn't overepresented". They can't go after Wolf either because Wolf can't let Krystals fans do that...
Wait, tiers?

Neither is Krystal, but at least Ridley IS in Brawl...as a boss.
Hooray!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Krystal still has a good chance of getting into SSB4, even with the people who are so fixated on not having Krystal in SSB4 that they ignore any legimate reason that Krystal could be in.
Legitimate reasons?

As in, the only one being is that she has some newer generation fans?

I'm fairly certain you asked someone on the street who Krystal was they would point to the girl on the corner...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Legitimate "reasons" from most Krystal fans for why Krystal deserves to be in: She's "popular" and "hawt".

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Ehh, filipino...

I do agree with you when it comes to the "discussions" - hence I left this thread originally too. Krystal, though, unlike those others you mentioned, is dividing the Smash fans far more than any other character, really.

I mean, if I started argumenting like... "IF ULALA FROM SPACE CHANNEL 5 ISNT IN SMASH 4 IM NOT GONNA BUY THIS GAME BECAUSE THEN ITS ****E RAWR D:<" just because she's my favourite video game character, and all I can come up with is that she could like, use a microphone and dance as moveset, and that she is female, then noone would take me seriously, as well. Right?

And honestly, Ulala's not even too far-fetched, as she's one of Sega's most popular characters (aside from the Sonic cast... we all know that one's dominating ¬¬), and pretty much has about the same chances to get in like Krystal - since she is female, has unique moveset potential... and that her inclusion would downright be wrong, because there are far more important characters like Ulala that should be included before her.

@Kraryo:
And how are Jigglypuff, Lucario, Pit, Ice Climbers, Snake, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ness, and Lucas not important?

Jigglypuff is one of the most popular Pokemon in Japan.
Lucario is one of the most, if not THE most popular Pokemon of the current generation.
Pit and the Ice Climbers are characters from very successful games of Nintendo's past.
Snake's game series started on the NES and Kojima is good friends with Sakurai, hence Sakurai did him the favor to put him in Smash
Luigi not important? I should stop argueing with you now, as your opinions are what made me eventually leave.
Captain Falcon is the main character of the one and only Nintendo racing series not being a spin-off
Ness is the main character of the one and only Nintendo RPG back in the time when Smash 64 was released, not to mention EarthBound is very popular in Japan.
And Lucas was more likely included as tribute to the MOTHER series, which found its end with the third installment.

As you can see, all of those reasons are far better than "has a staff and boobs", which is what it winds down to in the end.

By the way - just as an information - Smash 64 was supposed to be Japan only, but it was decided to release it outside due to its enormous success.

Also, Falco is Fox' friend, teammate and one of the most important Star Fox characters, if not the most important, next to Fox and Andross themselves.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ehh, filipino...

I do agree with you when it comes to the "discussions" - hence I left this thread originally too. Krystal, though, unlike those others you mentioned, is dividing the Smash fans far more than any other character, really.

I mean, if I started argumenting like... "IF ULALA FROM SPACE CHANNEL 5 ISNT IN SMASH 4 IM NOT GONNA BUY THIS GAME BECAUSE THEN ITS ****E RAWR D:<" just because she's my favourite video game character, and all I can come up with is that she could like, use a microphone and dance as moveset, and that she is female, then noone would take me seriously, as well. Right?

And honestly, Ulala's not even too far-fetched, as she's one of Sega's most popular characters (aside from the Sonic cast... we all know that one's dominating ¬¬), and pretty much has about the same chances to get in like Krystal - since she is female, has unique moveset potential... and that her inclusion would downright be wrong, because there are far more important characters like Ulala that should be included before her.

@Kraryo:
And how are Jigglypuff, Lucario, Pit, Ice Climbers, Snake, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ness, and Lucas not important?

Lucario is one of the most, if not THE most popular Pokemon of the current generation.
Pit and the Ice Climbers are characters from very successful games of Nintendo's past.
Snake's game series started on the NES and Kojima is good friends with Sakurai, hence Sakurai did him the favor to put him in Smash
Luigi not important? I should stop argueing with you now, as your opinions are what made me eventually leave.
Captain Falcon is the main character of the one and only Nintendo racing series not being a spin-off
Ness is the main character of the one and only Nintendo RPG back in the time when Smash 64 was released
And Lucas was more likely included as tribute to the MOTHER series, which found its end with the third installment.

As you can see, all of those reasons are far better than "has a staff and ****", which is what it winds down to in the end.

Also, Falco is Fox' friend, teammate and one of the most important Star Fox characters, if not the most important, next to Fox and Andross themselves.
Amen Spadefox. Amen.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You're telling me that being a friend for the main is far more important than being the love interest for the main character and revealing some of his personality?

*Does a Higurashi laugh*

Besides, if there is anyone, besides Krystal which you can argue, that is the third most important character in the series, it's either Peppy or Wolf.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Y'know, due to all Star Fox characters basically being Mary-Sues, it's hard to put an "importance" list. Though, Wolf and Falco both are insanely high up there.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I agree, Spadefox (I love how we understand each other now), but that's assuming Krystal getting in has some sort of effect on other characters that people want instead. Now, assuming that that wasn't the case*, and Krystal getting in didn't affect any other character...what reasons would people have for not wanting to have her in the game?

*realizes that this is a hypothetical situation

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You're telling me that being a friend for the main is far more important than being the love interest for the main character and revealing some of his personality?

*Does a Higurashi laugh*

Besides, if there is anyone, besides Krystal which you can argue, that is the third most important character in the series, it's either Peppy or Wolf.
Friend and rival, which have been more important to the series itself so far.

Maybe a love interest is more important to him, but we aren't basing it off who he thinks is important.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575

Aside from popularity, Jigglypuff isn't signifigant in any way.
Same as Jiggs, but at least his popularity gave him a movie. Still doesn't make him any more signifigant than those legendary Pokemon that star in the other movies.
Kid Icarus didn't sell very well outside of the US. Ice Climbers only had one game not counting ports.
Snake's most popular games weren't on a Nintendo game. I doubt he would get in if it wasn't for Kojima asking Snake to be in a Smash game.
While he has plenty of important roles in Luigi's Mansion, Mario & Luigi, and Super Paper Mario, Luigi had no non-educational games before SSB64 and thus he wasn't that important back than.
Not many people knew about him before Smash.
Ness is the main character of the one and only Nintendo RPG back in the time when Smash 64 was released
Although I really want to play Earthbound, it didn't sell well in the US and it didn't come to Europe.
Mother isn't as much of an influncing franchise due to only one of it's games coming outside of Japan and it certainly wasn't Mother 3.
As you can see, all of those reasons are far better than "has a staff and ****", which is what it winds down to in the end.
Krystal is a popular character and popularity was also what got Jigglypuff, Luigi, and most of the others into Smash.
Comments in yellow.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Comments in yellow.
Jigglypuff was suppose to be the mascot of pokemon, that's why Jigglypuff has an icon in Red/ Blue.

Also, you can't deny the Ice Climbers and Pit are still important to their franchises, which is what I said originally.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I agree, Spadefox (I love how we understand each other now), but that's assuming Krystal getting in has some sort of effect on other characters that people want instead. Now, assuming that that wasn't the case*, and Krystal getting in didn't affect any other character...what reasons would people have for not wanting to have her in the game?

*realizes that this is a hypothetical situation
If I get my Ridley, Isaac and Bowser Jr. playable in SSB4, I won't complain if Krystal gets in. It still, though, would make me cringe.

Falco won't be going anywhere soon, as he already has been in 2 games until now. He also was supposed to have another Final Smash, which was scrapped due to time constraints, meaning that Sakurai intended to make Falco even more separated to Fox. As it stands, Wolf won't be going anywhere, as well, considering how - and I think we all won't argue about that - Wolf is one of the really MOST important characters to the series, and has been in almost as many games as Falco (just not the original SNES one).

So cutting any of those 2 would result in even MORE *****ing than those Roy- and Mewtwo-fans (Doc and Pichu are not as vocal, and Yink have their Tink, basically), since both characters - I'm pretty sure of it - have bigger fanbases than Roy or Mewtwo had. Especially considering how Brawl is FAR more popular than Melee.

That would mean that we would have to add a fourth Star Fox character! I personally think that'd be outrageous, considering how little the importance of Star Fox to Nintendo is. At least in comparison to FAR bigger series like Metroid or Donkey Kong.

That's what my main reason for not wanting her in Smash is. Cutting the other Spacies would be a very bad decision, and adding a fourth would be, as well.

Comments in yellow.
As said (in my edit). Smash Bros. 64 was supposed to be NOT released outside of Japan. Hence the second most popular Pokemon character in Japan next to Pikachu got into it... and that's Jigglypuff. Hence the most popular Nintendo RPG protagonist in Japan - Ness - got in. And, Mario is Nintendo's biggest franchise. Luigi makes a lot of sense, considering how he has been in the franchise SINCE THE SECOND FREAKING GAME (Mario Bros.). The roster in 64 was insanely even when it comes to representation of franchises, and was aimed at Japanese audience.

I will, though, ignore your "arguments" from now on, as you obviously don't know of what you're talking about in at least 90% of the cases.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Well, you just ignore anything that's positive about Krystal. Nothing you will do won't prevent Krystal from appearing in SSB4 as a playable character.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, you just ignore anything that's positive about Krystal. Nothing you will do won't prevent Krystal from appearing in SSB4 as a playable character.
And nothing you do will help her appear in SSB4 as a playable character.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
And nothing you do will help her appear in SSB4 as a playable character.
And thus is the story of the Official SSB4 Discussion Thread...

Only ChronoBound and his project can save us!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Haha. The last sentence in your response reminds me of the dying quote of the main villain from Thracia 776, all you needed was maniacal laughter at the end of it.

Also, I see flyinfilipino is angsty about my work as per usual.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Proof or it never happened.
Have you even seen part of the first series. Jigglypuff followed the main characters around everywhere. That;s why she was important. She is staying in because she was of the original 12. And don't say the anime wasn't important. Few people would care about pikachu if Ash didn't get stuck wtih the rat.

But still, if they add in a new character i don't care. As long as krystal doesn't steal a spot from someone more deserving I personally don't care. I don't think she will be a clone so at least we would get someone totally different.

StarFoxcoastocoast

Smash Rookie
I'm not too convinced that SSB4 is happening at all. And if it does, it'll be a few. Some new series will be out, but nonetheless I don't expect them to make another unless they attempt to top this current one in characters from nintendo and other consoles, online play, regular play, and especially improve the events because of the dullness in Brawl.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I'm not too convinced that SSB4 is happening at all. And if it does, it'll be a few. Some new series will be out, but nonetheless I don't expect them to make another unless they attempt to top this current one in characters from nintendo and other consoles, online play, regular play, and especially improve the events because of the dullness in Brawl.
It will happen...it will just wait for a time when it can be as revolutionary as it once was.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm just trying to build up hype for it. Being helpful, you know? It's been more than half a year in the making. I remember the days when it was coming in August...of last year....
Its already complete. Its a series of essays elaborating on the history of the Smash series and the suggested route it should head for the next installment in terms of gameplay design, roster design, etc.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
@starfoxcoasttocoast: If you are even doubting there will be a ssb4 then why are you wasting your time on this thread. There will probably be a new one on the wii 2 coming out in 2010ish.

Cioran

Smash Cadet
This is silly. You have a wonderful, fun, addictive game out RIGHT NOW: SSBB. Play more, worry about a game 3+ years away later?

I like to speculate as much as the next man, but as John Lennon said life is what happens while you're making plans.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
@Chronobound: I would like to see some of the ideas in your essay on the roster and gameplay. Also who are you going to give the essay to? You would have to have some friends high up in nintendo to get sakurai to even think of looking at it.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
This is silly. You have a wonderful, fun, addictive game out RIGHT NOW: SSBB. Play more, worry about a game 3+ years away later?

I like to speculate as much as the next man, but as John Lennon said life is what happens while you're making plans.
Some people aren't satisfied, and need something to do, so there's this thread....

When the time is right, I will post them. I have already been posting history essays of the Smash series in another topic.
There's no better time than now. Hopefully it's got stuff that hasn't already been discussed to death.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There's no better time than now. Hopefully it's got stuff that hasn't already been discussed to death.
There is some material that has been talked about that make up the content of some of the essays. However, the level of detail makes up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom