• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The problem is that none of this usually works out this way.

You guys are too ready to put a system in place with rules. The major factor that drives the roster is popularity. If the characters are popular, then they stand a good chance (less they meet other, smaller, requirements). Skull Kid was never that popular, so he's out. Krystal will move up in Japanese popularity and is doing well here, so she is probably in. King K. Rool is one I'm not sure is popular in Japan, but kind of popular here, so he stands a chance.
Popularity is relevance, it simply deviates depending on trend. The less relevant a character is, the less popular the usually are - Sakurai will use time to determine who has passed their sell-by-date, if they are as relatively unknown as K. Rool (compared to the big'uns, I mean), at which point he'll see that K. Rool hasn't really been recognised out of a go-kart or on a pair of bongos in a while [I don't follow the DK series in too much detail] and may just brush him off.

I am not 5150. I don't even know who he is - it sounds like he was around for the time I wasn't here.

chansen

Smash Lord
Thanks for another clarification smash daddy, I believe you and i are of similar opinion.

Sorry everyone thinks your 5150...

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
Well as a very big King K. Rool fan like me. I just still hope he gets in. I like him more then Ridley and I actually think K. Rool deserves to be in more then Ridley.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
I really hope that they don't forget about Krystal and her staff. The current Star Fox games act as if she never had a staff. If characters from other franchises got into a Star Fox game, they would lose their defining features.

Instead of being a greedy, powerful man who is resourceful, Wario would be made stupid in a Star Fox game. Instead of being a super fast and cool guy who can roll into a ball, Sonic would not be much more than a streaker in Star Fox. Timmy Turner would lose his Fairy Godparents and act like he never had them in a Star Fox game. Pit wouldn't be an angel in Star Fox. Mario and Luigi wouldn't be able to jump well in SF. Pokemon Trainer would lose his Pokemon in SF. Samus would just be a romantic interest character instead of a female warrior in SF. etc.

However, all of them would use the same weapons that every Star Fox character has access to. Krystal wasn't originally made for Star Fox, so that's why she had the staff. Since all the other Star Fox characters were cliche and homogenized, they decided to get rid of her staff and make her into something not much more than a female love interest.

Smash would be the only place where Krystal can use her staff again.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
I really hope that they don't forget about Krystal and her staff. The current Star Fox games act as if she never had a staff. If characters from other franchises got into a Star Fox game, they would lose their defining features.

Instead of being a greedy, powerful man who is resourceful, Wario would be made stupid in a Star Fox game. Instead of being a super fast and cool guy who can roll into a ball, Sonic would not be much more than a streaker in Star Fox. Timmy Turner would lose his Fairy Godparents and act like he never had them in a Star Fox game. Pit wouldn't be an angel in Star Fox. Mario and Luigi wouldn't be able to jump well in SF. Pokemon Trainer would lose his Pokemon in SF. Samus would just be a romantic interest character instead of a female warrior in SF. etc.

However, all of them would use the same weapons that every Star Fox character has access to. Krystal wasn't originally made for Star Fox, so that's why she had the staff. Since all the other Star Fox characters were cliche and homogenized, they decided to get rid of her staff and make her into something not much more than a female love interest.

Yeah I agree. Krystal should be in as well since the smash needs more hot females like Lyndis, and many more.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master

Yeah, the problem is that at the time of SSBB, three Star Fox games had already been released since Melee, and they took the appearance of the playable characters from Command, while everything else was based on Assault (I'm pretty sure). That's why Star Fox Adventures was pretty much pushed out of the picture. Most of the Star Fox characters are pretty cliche, which is fine, since they don't really spend much time out of the cockpit (except for Fox). I also hope Krystal and the rest of the characters get out of the cockpit more in the future and at least show that she still has the staff.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Popularity is relevance, it simply deviates depending on trend. The less relevant a character is, the less popular the usually are - Sakurai will use time to determine who has passed their sell-by-date, if they are as relatively unknown as K. Rool (compared to the big'uns, I mean), at which point he'll see that K. Rool hasn't really been recognised out of a go-kart or on a pair of bongos in a while [I don't follow the DK series in too much detail] and may just brush him off.

I am not 5150. I don't even know who he is - it sounds like he was around for the time I wasn't here.
That's exactly what I fear. K. Rool hasn't had a big, sweeping villain role in a while now. But until SSB4 draws closer and we can consider how his relevance has changed between now and then, we can't really make a solid guess. But for now... he had no role in Jungle Beat, and that one's being ported to Wii, so... I'm starting to think that his golden age isn't coming back any time soon, and I don't remember him ever being the most popular villain.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Even though the Starfox characters definitely have their share of cliches, I can't help but feel there's a load of potential in them.

It makes me wonder if they should make a Starfox anime.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
^Dude that is spamming. Not allowed. Your going to get banned for that. We can get the mods to get rid of that and you will get an infraction. Just warning you. So don't spam. It's a rule.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I'm starting to lose faith in Nintendo's core franchises. They're beginning to focus more on exercise games and all that. ._.

They've lost all will to provide to hardcore gamers, it seems.

Looks like this thread is getting closed.

tonyphantom

Smash Rookie
1) Sakurai can NOT develop this game
2) Make the gameplay as close to Melee, but more advanced
3) Custom sticker movesets

Some desired characters are:

9-Volt: The reasoning for this character is because he is chalked full of nostalgia. All of his attacks will consist of using a controller to attack with an 8-bit character that is summoned to the field of battle.

Primary GS Character: Golden Sun might have a new game released soon enough which might include a new protagonist. If there is not a new protagonist, Isaac will take the character spot.

Advance Wars CO: An AW rep with a unique moveset revolving around buying units.

Master Chief: Because
keep the character intros in just make them fluid

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I'm starting to lose faith in Nintendo's core franchises. They're beginning to focus more on exercise games and all that. ._.

They've lost all will to provide to hardcore gamers, it seems.

Looks like this thread is getting closed.
Nah, they're secretly working on Mario, Zelda, Star Fox and everything under cover. *smokes bubble pipe* Not kidding about the Mario and Zelda part, though.

Nah, this guy comes back every once and a while. He'll probably be banned and come back under three more usernames today. Just ignore.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I knew about Zelda, but not Mario. I hope Mario isn't just some "LOOK MARIO PARTY 9 NOW FEATURING WARIO AND YOSHI CHARACTERS TO FURTHER ALIENATE!"

On the spamming note:

Flyinfili, at least he makes your sig completely visible XD

kid x

Smash Apprentice
That's part of the problem, which I forgot to elaborate on.

Another example of this is Skull Kid - he had his last biggest and only substantial part in Majora's Mask. After Brawl, he's very much an impossibility against newer characters - he had his chance, even though he appears in some form in other Zelda games. The same could be said for K. Rool, as Donkey Kong itself is deteriorating and, soon enough, there will be actual human beings in the games. I'd say that Brawl was K. Rool's last chance, not unlike Wolf or Snake - considering that Star Fox is becoming less and less of an entity; Metal Gear Solid's remake is only traveling further and further back in time as it flows forwards.
True, true, hopefully a new DK game and/or Zelda comes out before they make a new brawl. If not maybe they'll make K. Rool and Skull Kid AT's which wouldn't be that much of a problem to me. K. Rool could use his cannon or crown from the DKC 1 and 2. Not to sure about Skull Kid though because I'm not that knowledgable in the Zelda series.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
True, true, hopefully a new DK game and/or Zelda comes out before they make a new brawl. If not maybe they'll make K. Rool and Skull Kid AT's which wouldn't be that much of a problem to me. K. Rool could use his cannon or crown from the DKC 1 and 2. Not to sure about Skull Kid though because I'm not that knowledgable in the Zelda series.
NO NO NO!

K. Rool playable. I mean look at Bowser, Ganondorf, and Dedede. If they can be playable. So will K. Rool. K. Rool most likely be playable.

I'd vomit if they made him boss or AT.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
I want K. Rool in as much as you do, K. Rool has a wide variety of moves. I'm just saying if they didn't make him playable, at least make him an AT.
He will most likely be playable. Since Bowser, Dedede, and Ganondorf are playable. He will too.

kid x

Smash Apprentice
He will most likely be playable. Since Bowser, Dedede, and Ganondorf are playable. He will too.
True, true, as long as whoever's developing the next Smash acknowledges K. Rool as another DK candidate, he should've came in with Diddy at least. If they put Dixie instead of K. Rool, I'll be pretty mad, because K. Rool came before Dixie.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Yeah, the problem is that at the time of SSBB, three Star Fox games had already been released since Melee, and they took the appearance of the playable characters from Command, while everything else was based on Assault (I'm pretty sure). That's why Star Fox Adventures was pretty much pushed out of the picture. Most of the Star Fox characters are pretty cliche, which is fine, since they don't really spend much time out of the cockpit (except for Fox). I also hope Krystal and the rest of the characters get out of the cockpit more in the future and at least show that she still has the staff.
Star Fox was better when it was a rail shooter. The only way Krystal could be unique without derailing gameplay would be to have her sections be like Sin and Punishment (haven't played it, but seen videos). That way, it would be the best of both worlds. Anything else and you would have another Sonic Adventure.

Black Hole CO

Smash Cadet
Motha f*** Blackhole that is my god d*** idea...
huh? i made that up on two separate different forums ages ago:

Here: http://www.advancewarsnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34575&st=25&p=926324&#entry926324 (as metroidman)
and
Here: http://nintendohub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=713610#post713610 (as Hungryliketehwolf)
I used the same Email address for all three accounts.
(as seen here: http://nintendohub.com/forums/member.php?u=7482 @ http://www.advancewarsnet.com/forums/index.php?showuser=678 @ on this profile.)

sorry if you had something similar, but don't accuse me with plagiarism, as i made up this stuff myself.

Yoshi52

Smash Cadet
I get to post my list now, what fun.

- I personally like Brawl's physics, for the most part. I don't, however, like how much you slide around when your size scale is higher than two. Doesn't make sense to me...

- Dr. Mario should be an alternate costume like how Wario's anti-plumber costume is... It's called an "anti-plumber" costume, right?

- Moar Paper Mario! Ahem... Yeah, I was a little disappointed at how there were so few Paper Mario references. Why couldn't there at least be a song from any of the Paper Mario games?

- Leave the Debug Mode in the game so hackers can have fun with it... :p

- Have more references to recent games. Did Brawl have anything from Super Mario Galaxy? I don't think I even saw a sticker!

- It's been said before, but improve the Stage Builder. And, I guess fix the Wi-Fi too, people seem to complain about that a lot...

- The Stop Watch item should "subtract or add X amount of speed to character," not "force character speed to X." The Stop Watch item is useless in slow-mo matches if they do the latter.

- All characters from past SSB games should return. If they would be clones, make them "alts." of the main characters.

- At least 6 colours for every character. And maybe make the Shadow and Emerald versions of characters unlockable?

- If the next story mode is going to be like SSE, all characters should have an important role. I hardly found any priority in playing as Ice Climbers except in the "Glacial Peak" stage.

- Classic Mode should be more classic. You know, a Race to the Finish, Board the Platforms, individual Target Tests (or smashes) for each Character, and fighting the "Fighting Based" team.

- Return of Red Shells? I liked those items...

- Since Kirby and others can eat items, shouldn't they be able to get special, temporary power-ups if they eat a certain thing?

- This is something minor, and probably doesn't even affect much, but if an area is unused and has no way at all to be normally seen or even accessed in game, that area shouldn't even exist. It really bothers me that developers leave graphics, and maybe even collision, in places that can't be accessed in any way. Also, how about actual sky boxes instead of a big "Billboard" like object? It looks pretty bad to me in Home Run Contest.

- A feature that lets the player add their own music into the game with an SD Card. That's definitely easier than using a PlayStation 1's music feature, replacing the Wii's Red Audio wire with the PS1's Red Audio wire, then changing the Music to Sound balance so that only sound comes from the left speaker and nothing coming out of the right.

- More hard coded Replays. If the game has a rare glitch on the Replay, the Replay playback will have the Human players continue to follow button presses, but the computers will break away from the replay and act as if it's a normal match, causing the replay to have odd effects. An easy fix could be saving replays as an .avi file maybe?

I'm forgetting some of the things I want, I'll post more later.

EDIT: By "More hard coded replays," I mean the Replays shouldn't be normal matches with the Human players following recorded button presses and the computers following a path of actions that gets overwritten if something in the Replay is changed.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
What about Captain Rainbow?
WTF???????

Well, there ya go then. What can that guy do anyway?

EDIT:

- This is something minor, and probably doesn't even affect much, but if an area is unused and has no way at all to be normally seen or even accessed in game, that area shouldn't even exist. It really bothers me that developers leave graphics, and maybe even collision, in places that can't be accessed in any way. Also, how about actual sky boxes instead of a big "Billboard" like object? It looks pretty bad to me in Home Run Contest.
What do you mean by this?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't see any characters that don't exist right now either. Good, we're both normal! :bee:

I know what you mean though. I have faith that Nintendo will continue to progress their series and create some new good ones with new characters. I think that SSB4 will wait until this progress has been made. We just don't know what'll come up in the next 5-6 years.
From what Nintendo showed at their Fall Press Conference, there are a lot of new franchises coming out. It may be Nintendo trying to make new, disruptive ideas.[/QUOTE]

One thing to remember is sales may not be the best determiner. The Donkey Kong franchise has been greatly under represented (even at it's peak) and Mother may have sold too little to deserve a second character. It's all how much fans want to see them.

Of the three big ones: Ridley, Krystal and Geno, none of them have fallen in popularity. The only character with a noticeable fall was Lyn.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I'm here for your needs.

1. Ouendan guy in black clothes.
2. Sukopon.
3. Takamaru.
4. Balloon Fighter.
5. Lip.
6. Donbe and Hikari.
7. Little Mac.
8. Tingle.
9. Stanley.
10. Excitebike.
11. Old Man- Zelda.

I'd like to see the Old Man- he's obscure, and could be a cool Zelda rep for th games before OoT.

Yoshi52

Smash Cadet
What do you mean by this?
OK, example: In the Subspace Emissary, in the Great Maze level. At the part where you have the entrance to the Final Battle with Tabuu, you go left. Then, you're at the castle place(Forgot the name...), you go down where the Big Primids are and go left through the door. The level where the spiked ceiling is falling, is what I'm talking about. You can't see it normally(obviously), so you use the "Unrestricted Pause Camera" code to zoom out and then up. Where the door that leads to the "Glacial Peak" part, there's purple Subspace. With the unrestricted camera, you zoom out a little and scroll up. There's a segment above the Subspace that is not accessible in any way. That part wasn't even in a different level in SSE. It can't even be relatively looked at.

I find it as a waste of space to have something in the game that can't be accessed at all.

EDIT: Oh, did you mean the "Skybox" part?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
*I haven't really played through SSE* But I see what you mean, Yoshi52. I guess it's just stuff left over from development that they forgot to take out. On a related note, by using a glitch involving the Dragoon, people have seen extreme detail in the background environments of some stages like Castle Siege and Green Hill Zone and Delfino Plaza. They put a lot of detail into places that you won't even get to see during normal fighting. It's actually kinda cool.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Isn't Captain Rainbow that guy who helps video game characters like Little Mac and Lip? Since they have Marth and Lucas, he could get in. I just hope that the Captain Rainbow will get released in America eventually.

Supersmasher10310

Smash Cadet
The Never ending K. Rool vs Dixie Thread/end rant. I think the Blck Shadow should be a new character. Give Gannondorf the respect he deserves and de-clone him. Then give the similar Capt.Falcon moveset to Black Shadow. This would make sense. Since that it is almost his alter ego and trie to out do everything Falcon does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom