• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
The only brawl characters who have ever been voice acted successfully (ie more than one liners) in a game or otherwise are Fox and Snake (I haven't heard lucario's voice in his movie, and the other pokemin don't count). All other characters, at best, come off as laughably corny. At worst, you get Super Mario Sunshine bowser and CDI link.
Eh, Sonic Adventure 1's voice acting was pretty good. But uh after that... *shudders*

If Nintendo cares at all about their adoring fans, they'll put Megaman and Geno in SSB4.
Hehe welp looks like Megaman and Geno stand no chance...

DaThings

Smash Rookie
If Nintendo cares at all about their adoring fans, they'll put Megaman and Geno in SSB4.
Megaman, I can totally see being included in SSB4. Geno, not so much. He's only really been in one Nintendo game, and he was a minor role.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I've said this all before.

Remember that Smash is a Nintendo fighting game, so third parties will always be few and far between due to structure and legal issues. Megaman is the most likely canidate for a 3rd party character, but it all depends if Sakurai wishes to continue doing it, and feels he should be in (remember that Sonic did not get in easily).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've said this all before.

Remember that Smash is a Nintendo fighting game, so third parties will always be few and far between due to structure and legal issues. Megaman is the most likely canidate for a 3rd party character, but it all depends if Sakurai wishes to continue doing it, and feels he should be in (remember that Sonic did not get in easily).
Just how much legal work does it take to get a third party character since Sonic barely got in?

Anyway, I hope for the next game that there is some more realism in some of the moves. For example, look at Mario's BThrow. No matter who it is, he always has the same animation which isn't all that bad. However, when you close up on him, there are times it doesn't look like he's holding on to anything. I know they don't affect the game much, but would it really hurt to fix these things?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Anyway, I hope for the next game that there is some more realism in some of the moves. For example, look at Mario's BThrow. No matter who it is, he always has the same animation which isn't all that bad. However, when you close up on him, there are times it doesn't look like he's holding on to anything. I know they don't affect the game much, but would it really hurt to fix these things?
This is hardly possible, considering the fact you'd need a character to move differently for every character. That'd be in the current situation whopping 39 different grabs/throws for each of the 39 characters. And then there's a grab, 4 throws and a pummeling animation.

JPW

Smash Ace
So why was Sonic close to not getting in?

I thought he was quite popular for the spot and he had that Olympics game with Mario and that was made by Sega. So I thought It makes sense to have him in Brawl.

I thought Megaman would get in too.

Not many people know who Geno is, not even the casual gamers but you ask them if they know who Sonic is and they'll say hell yeah.

To be honest I didn't even know who geno was... until I joined this website. And jumped on that the Brawl hype train.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
FINALLY. I've been waiting for this. I am sick of the millions of SSB4 threads.

My wish list:

Improve online play

Improve Stage Builder

Add more Sonic characters

More Sonic characters would make the game suck.

They need K. Rool, Geno and Megaman.

smashbot226

Smash Master
How about they take the series down to 16 bit graphics and use all old school models for characters to save space so that there can be like 300 playable characters, also have the game play like exactly like melee, then give every character things that are so good no one knows who the best characters will be for like 11 years.
I'm going to sig this someday.

In other news:

NO MORE SONIC CHARACTERS.

After they revealed Sonic and The Black Knight, I lost ALL respect for them.

But I had already lost that at Sonic the Hedgehog (Xbox 360/PS3), Secret Rings, and Unleashed.

Dark Brotherhood helped a little bit.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
You mean that Mario will not know that Luigi brought a secret weapon with him, and Luigi responding that it's Mama Luigi to Mario?
Yoshi'll already be at Bowser's throne room eating it up, and Bowser'll be like "Where's my room gone?!" etc.

And in the end, it'll all be a story XD.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
This is hardly possible, considering the fact you'd need a character to move differently for every character. That'd be in the current situation whopping 39 different grabs/throws for each of the 39 characters. And then there's a grab, 4 throws and a pummeling animation.
Yes. Additionally, a character couldn't always grab another the exact same way, particularly with size changes. So you'd actually have to do all that. . .*counts*. . .five times.

For example, let's just take Mario's B-Throw used on Bowser.

We have:

- Normal Mario throwing Normal Bowser
- Normal Mario throwing Giant Bowser
- Normal Mario throwing Tiny Bowser
- Giant Mario throwing Tiny Bowser
- Tiny Mario throwing Giant Bowser

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Which would be 1170 different grabs and throws (including the pummeling) for one character, and 45630 throws all in all. And that's just for Brawl.

And then of course you have to implement that Tiny Mario throwing Tiny Bowser has the same animation as Normal Mario throwing Normal Bowser; or Tiny Mario throwing Normal Bowser having the same as Normal Mario throwing Giant Bowser.

I guess you can see, where we're going with that, KumaOso - that's just too complicated to do. It will always be a flaw for fighting games like this, it's not different in Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Exactly Spade, you know it would work. And what food is spaghetti nice on? (Hint= toasted bread)
How would you react if it were true though?

Anyway, I agree with you about Geno in a way. I only heard of him reading through various forums about SSBB, and all I can make out is that he is a wooden pirate with a weird name or something like that.

However, I've never tried the game, as I never had a SNES (I was a Sega person lol) and I don't know if it ever came out in the UK.

He just doesn't seem to deserve a spot that much, although the games release on VC could boost his popularity, and people could start making their own opinions about him, and not just jumping on the bandwagon without even playing the game.

Same thing goes for Krystal, I've never played a Starfox game, so I don't know if she's a deserving character or not, but I'm not gonna like or dislike her to stick with the majority.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
However, I've never tried the game, as I never had a SNES (I was a Sega person lol) and I don't know if it ever came out in the UK.

He just doesn't seem to deserve a spot that much, although the games release on VC could boost his popularity, and people could start making their own opinions about him, and not just jumping on the bandwagon without even playing the game.
The game has been released in Europe, as far as I know, but only in English. I wouldn't know, though, since I haven't played it on a cartridge and don't even have the desire to own it due to the fact how bad it is.
How Mario and RPG can work is shown by Mario & Luigi series and Paper Mario series. Super Mario RPG is plain bad.

And about Geno: Basically he's an alien entity who possessed a (very ugly) wooden doll. He has some powerful magic. And that's basically it.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
The game has been released in Europe, as far as I know, but only in English. I wouldn't know, though, since I haven't played it on a cartridge and don't even have the desire to own it due to the fact how bad it is.
How Mario and RPG can work is shown by Mario & Luigi series and Paper Mario series. Super Mario RPG is plain bad.

And about Geno: Basically he's an alien entity who possessed a (very ugly) wooden doll. He has some powerful magic. And that's basically it.
So he's not really that interesting then.
It only got released in August on the VC, and that was the first time it'd ever been released in Europe. I think it was part of the 3rd Hanabi festival (for games that were only released in Japan or America originally).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Just how much legal work does it take to get a third party character since Sonic barely got in?
I can't tell you, but one of the problems is that you would need to go and negotiate for a character. The in house guys you would not have to do that. There is also the possibility that money would be given, and even that it could fall though.

It's not a sure thing basically.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I can't tell you, but one of the problems is that you would need to go and negotiate for a character. The in house guys you would not have to do that. There is also the possibility that money would be given, and even that it could fall though.

It's not a sure thing basically.
It might not be a sure thing...if it's done late in production.

*hopes Sakurai or whoever is at least thinking about it now*

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman

Square-Enix: Geno, Cloud, Sora

Of course this is all based on opinion, otherwise there wouldn't have been an overbearing amount of people wanting him.

His model was displayed with choppy 3D graphics, so they could have updated his appearance like they did with Pit.

It's pretty hard to chose a Square-Enix representative, because almost every other Final Fantasy character is equally important to the franchise than the other. Only one that would make sense is Cloud since he is extremely popular (I think second on the polls, trailing behind Mario, Snake being fourth), but he's never truly appeared on a Nintendo console, with the exception of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.

If Square makes Wii Kingdom Hearts' new home, I would secretly vouch for Sora,
even though he is an original Disney character and doesn't truly represent Square.

Capcom: Megaman

Megaman was already offered by Inafune. Sakurai didn't follow through. As it was, I believe Sonic was a last minute addition, so I doubt they had enough time for Megaman. Megaman's chances seem pretty decent next time around, while Sonic gets more time to be worked on, improving him if he stays in for the next round.

No Resident Evil characters plz. SNAKE CLONES. Megaman inb4 Viewful Joe.

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
my worst fear is that it turns out like some fighting game with just so many characters it loses it special feel to it but truly i love the idea of the costume changes being different characters,i know that are totally different but making wolf,and falco just costume changes in fox. Or shadow or knuckles changes for sonic. Combine toon Link and Link. Mario and Luigi, Ect it would include more characters with out making the char. selection screen ginormus, and also please if you add more character please work hard and long to make there more sets and how they behave all different like in this one becuz the time and effort put into that is very much noticed and we love it so don't let that die

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
one thing to remember is that if they make seperate characters as costume changes there would be problems if 2 people wanted to play the same character. assuming only one person could select that particular costume.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
my worst fear is that it turns out like some fighting game with just so many characters it loses it special feel to it but truly i love the idea of the costume changes being different characters,i know that are totally different but making wolf,and falco just costume changes in fox. Or shadow or knuckles changes for sonic. Combine toon Link and Link. Mario and Luigi, Ect it would include more characters with out making the char. selection screen ginormus, and also please if you add more character please work hard and long to make there more sets and how they behave all different like in this one becuz the time and effort put into that is very much noticed and we love it so don't let that die
But characters like Luigi, Falco, Wolf, Ganondorf already started distinguishing themselves as sort of being de-cloned. Toon Link is an exception-- there is already a Link, Toon Link is overkill to me-- two Links is a crowd.

I don't think it's feasible to do that either though, characters have larger and smaller frames to be hit. Making them color swaps/alternate outfits would mean they would all have to be exactly the same size.

SirKibble said:
Needs moar Crono.

Pretty sure Crono is 100X cooler than any of those other three.

Just sayin'...
He is, but I doubt the franchise is going to make a real comeback. A single remake isn't going to do much... wait what the hell am I writing? Of course it is.

Chrono Cross was painful though. Allocating magic, items, and techniques? Ouch.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
SSB4 could use a better mode instead of coin matches.
Possibly something like assassin from Jak X- each player is designated a certain character to fight, and they only get points for KOing that character.
Example=
Mario has to kill Kirby
Kirby has to kill Link
Link has to kill Kirby
Pikachu has to kill Mario

Once a character is KO'd, you are given another target.
This could possibly prevent people stealing KO's.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
He is, but I doubt the franchise is going to make a real comeback. A single remake isn't going to do much... wait what the hell am I writing? Of course it is.

Chrono Cross was painful though. Allocating magic, items, and techniques? Ouch.
Given how much impact the game made with its first release, I think the DS port could actually do quite a bit for Crono's chances. Probably not enough, but I like to think it's possible.

And I sometimes pretend Chrono Cross never happened. We can ignore it, right? It wasn't on a Nintendo system, so we can put it aside when considering Smash. :laugh:

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Ahem, Pit.

*cough* Ice climbers.

No comeback.

Still in Brawl.

Chrono for SSB4 (or "Crap", which I named him).
Frown, I have one question for you:
When is the amount of awesomeness in your posts not STAGGERING?

I still don't want a Square character in the roster of SSB. Square has so little really representative characters, and all of them suck, imho, except for those in Chrono Trigger and Valkyrie Profile.
I mean, what notable series does Square-enix has? Final Fantasy, Seiken Densetsu/Mana and Kingdom Hearts.
Final Fantasy has no really character standing for the series, seeing as all of the games are not connected. Seiken Densetsu has generic anime-fantasy-characters, and the games, albeit being connected, have no sequels featuring similar or same characters. Lastly, Kingdom Hearts - which imo isn't worth the mention, considering Sora would be another sword-swinger, and we have already enough of them.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I want Django in as a second Konami rep, but I know it'll never happen ._.
If Battle Network Megaman would be in, Django wouldn't be too far off.
But I guess that Konami rather will put in a Castlevania character, Sparkster, or Twinbee before Django, though.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
my worst fear is that it turns out like some fighting game with just so many characters it loses it special feel
Luckily for us, I don't believe this can happen with Smash. All of the Smash characters are always going to have that special connection because of our past experiences with that character. The backgrounds are rich and in depth for virtually character in the game. As long as the movesets are well done, there won't be much disconnect between the character and his (or her) feel.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Geno

Of course this is all based on opinion, otherwise there wouldn't have been an overbearing amount of people wanting him.

His model was displayed with choppy 3D graphics, so they could have updated his appearance like they did with Pit.
Sorry, didn't see this post before.

I don't mean his ugliness comes from the 3D graphics - I mean his general character design. It makes me want to vomit. A lot. He doesn't have an too interesting story or power either... he's just a plain random extraterrestial with some magic. Oh wow. Random semi-generic RPG character, anyone?
I don't understand what's so awesome about him. If anyone is able to explain to me why he's oh so deserving except for the fact that someone started that fad of wanting him in SSB, then I'll maybe change my opinion on him.

I'm really active in Make Your Move - and in fact, I haven't seen a Geno moveset at all. We had 4 versions of Ridley, 3 versions of K. Rool, 2 versions of Lip, too much versions of Sora and 3 versions of Shadow, but heck, I've never seen anyone doing Geno or even considering doing him.

Besides, there are far more interesting characters than Geno, from Nintendo, Square, and practically every other game developer.

rexinator

Smash Apprentice
I've never even heard of Ice Climbers and Pit untill Brawl. And they only have they're one old school video games each (<--- sorry if I'm wrong). So I would say it's a pretty good chance that Sora could get in because there has been a couple DS games, including the new one, and I have no doubt that there will be a Wii Kingdom Hearts sometime within now and SSBC.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
If Sora get's in, that would lower Geno's chances by a long shot. But then again, Sora plays a bigger role then Geno does, so it could work out I guess.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I've never even heard of Ice Climbers and Pit untill Brawl. And they only have they're one old school video games each (<--- sorry if I'm wrong). So I would say it's a pretty good chance that Sora could get in because there has been a couple DS games, including the new one, and I have no doubt that there will be a Wii Kingdom Hearts sometime within now and SSBC.

Yeah, but there's a whole league of difference in between an oldschool Nintendo character and some 3rd-party character who has only appeared recently, has no real ties to any Nintendo console, is as representative for Square like a bowl of fruit and is halfly owned by Disney, as well.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
Actually, Pit had a game on the GBA called "Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters" Ice Climbers has only one game.

Even if we did get a "Kingdom Hearts Wii" the rights would still belong to Square Enix/Disney, so unless Square Enix/Disney loved Nntendo SO much that they BEGGED to have Sora in, we won't be seeing him

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Yeah. The reason we're not getting any Square characters in is because they want insane amounts of money to use their characters. It's like...
"Jeez, we'll give you a share of the profit for using your character, kthx."

Kefrius

Smash Apprentice
Hoping for a better stage builder, which will include:

- The ability to color the stuff you put in (blocks, etc.)
- The ability to use more stuff and without place restricions.
- Emm, test the stage with another character.

For characters:

- Ridley
- Sother, Soren or another FE character.
- Old Snake (alt costume)
- Mewtwo

- DARTH VADER (JK)

Well I think thats all I realy want. Ohh, and more, more music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom