• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
sweet! they fixed smash boards and made posts and edits show up automatically!!
Aether already mentioned that to me, but it isn't doing anything new for me. I still just get a "new message" popup at the bottom of the page to click manually.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
they just done crapped it up... i think they are sampling... beta...

it's gone.

Wiz_Kid

Smash Rookie
my fanboy picks would have to be Ridley.
If Ridley makes it in, he's unquestionably that first character I would try and main. Such a no brainer...surprised he wasn't in brawl honestly. I wonder what kind of moveset Ridley would have, though.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
unless you have to unlock him... what are you gonna do? have someone else unlock him to keep your word?
... my bad... you said main...

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
If Ridley makes it in, he's unquestionably that first character I would try and main. Such a no brainer...surprised he wasn't in brawl honestly. I wonder what kind of moveset Ridley would have, though.
They shouldn't have too much trouble coming up with one.

His animations in Other M alone would supply a great deal of it.

The punching/sliding combo thing, the tail spins, fireballs, meteor-like aerial fireballs. They could also base his ground movements on his non-winged form's movements, almost cat-like on all fours.

The rest could come from MetaRidley on Prime1 and his final appearance on 3.

His dair would have to be the tail poke.

His model would probably be a toned down version of the Brawl appearance.

Wiz_Kid

Smash Rookie
unless you have to unlock him... what are you gonna do? have someone else unlock him to keep your word?
Yep.

LULULULULUL

Seriously though, I'd just unlock the guy ;) hahaha. I never played other M (looked too different for me, personally), but I'll check out some youtube vids to see if I can get an idea of what you're talking about Weyard.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
Yep.

LULULULULUL

Seriously though, I'd just unlock the guy ;) hahaha. I never played other M (looked too different for me, personally), but I'll check out some youtube vids to see if I can get an idea of what you're talking about Weyard.
It really plays pretty closely to the old side scrolling Metroids. The 3rd person aspect doesn't have that much of an effect on it. The only thing I dislike is the unlimited dodge and that you can fully restore your hp and missles at will. It makes the normal mode too easy. However Ridley is basically impossible on Hard mode, he 1hits you with every attack.

However if you don't wanna see Samus acting like a woman as opposed to a robot, I suggest you pass it up. Apparently some people developed an image of Samus as a cold blooded heartless thoughtless killer based on her silence in the 1st person titles and refuse to play it because she acts like an actual human being for once.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
that's ****ed up. i don't have a wii and i want to play all of those games i didn't get to... other M. prime trilogy. galaxy. galaxy 2. dkcr. no more heroes. nmh2.

ive been youtubing as a replacement for experience... saves money but steals my heart and soul.

also... keep in mind that i am one of the people who believes it is near impossible to perfectly place ridley in smash. it would be nearly impossible for him not to be last place on a future tier list due to various anomalies yet to be disclosed.

saying so, it should be noted that my roster does not include Ridley... i will post my v3 roster after E3. maybe... not... after the wave ends...

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939

Height - About half a foot taller than Samus
Size - Size on screen and hurtbox is comparable to a slightly larger Bowser. Stands with his head hung low, arms tucked in, wings folded and tail to the side.
Weight - Falls fast, but all other aspects would hint that he is a light character
Jumps - 3 floaty jumps then glide
Speed - Slow speed while on ground, fast movement in the air. Walks and stands on 2 legs, runs/dashes on all 4s. Could easily out-maneuver opponents
Power - Comparable to Bowser in damage and priority with relatively lower knockback per hit. Relies on armor frames during slower and stronger attacks to get a KO
Defense - Can be KO'd at a low percent, similar to Metaknight or Pit.

Overall description - Basically, he is a mix between Metaknight and Bowser. Most attacks have moderate starting and ending lag, although some are very fast. He does more damage per hit and is able to easily outmaneuver and hit the opponent, but has much less knockback capabilities and must rely on armor frames during on his slow and powerful moves to get a KO. His large size, hurtbox and falling speed would be a means to balance him.

A- Single claw swipe
AA- Two claw swipes, moving him forward each time
AAA- two claw swipes then a tail slam
A-> Upwards tail swing
A^ Spikes wingtips upwards
Av Lightly sweeps tail across ground
Forward Smash - Stabs tail forward forcefully
Up Smash - Swings tail in a wide arc overhead
Down Smash - Breaths fire on both sides then roars
Aerial A - Spins in place hitting with tail twice
Aerial A-> Spins forwards hitting with claws then his tail
Aerial A^ Bites upwards
Aerial Av Ridley's signature flying tail stab, hits 3 times

Grab - Stabs tail forward, sticking the tip into the opponent
Pummel - Bites them while they are stuck on his tail
Forward Throw - Removes his tail from them, and hold them with his arms, then bats them with his tail, knocking them forwards
Back Throw - Forcefully flings his tail backwards, throwing them off of it
Up Throw - Jumps into the air with the opponent and grinds them across the background then slams them back into the stage, ricocheting them upwards. Similar to Kirby's Up Throw
Down Throw - Grinds them across the ground then spits a fireball in their face, launching them upwards

B- Plasma Breath - Each consecutive button press makes him spit out a fireball with up to 3 on screen at one time. Chargeable. Can keep the charge while moving. Once fully charged, Ridley breaths fire across the screen, similar to Charizard/Bowser but twice as far.

B-> Pirate Spiral - Ridley flys forward, spinning and cutting with his wings. Similar to Metaknight's Side B special.

B^ Acrobatic Blast - Ridley hunkers down then leaps into the air spitting a huge fireball below. Goes into glide at the height of the jump. Cannot grab edges during the jump, but can while gliding.

Bv Devastating Roar - Ridley takes a deep breath and prepares to roar. Chargeable, but you cannot move during the charge. Anyone nearby is froze in fear for a short period of time. The longer it is charged, the longer they stay frozen, and the longer range it has.

Final Smash - Phazon Outbreak - Phazon seeps up from the ground, infecting Ridley. He is enshrouded in blue light and becomes the giant Omega Ridley. He flys into the air and bombards the stage with enormous phazon fireballs (he can be seen flying back and forth in the background) then stomps back onto the stage, 1HKOing anyone he lands on. He then transforms back to normal as it ends.

Hows that? My own personal moveset.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
im impressed by the creativeness and how you didn't use his tail grind as so many movesets have it.

impaled by tail? how very mortal

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
well, i imagine it would just stick into them with the tip, not literally impaled. No blood or gaping wound or anything like that xD

ill reword it anyway xD

* Done

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
it's just a flesh wound, lol

i just wanted to point this out but my join date says feb 2010 and my posts say 272... do not be fooled by my journeyman status as i am just as qualified to be your chauffeur here on the OSSB4T. I have been dedicated to this thread since my smash rookie stage and i have only posted when i had something to say and/or a response... i constantly had vast amounts of ideas that had been ousted by other conversations and occasionally by single users on the boards never to turn back again. as you have noticed, i use texts in a way where understanding is grammatically sound. you're welcome! occasionally, i may not give all of the information from my brain as sometimes i think it only to believe that i typed it too. so, sorry for those rare occasions.
im also playing around with the chauffeur crap... there is no such thing here on the most chaotic place currently at SB.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
it's just a flesh wound, lol

i just wanted to point this out but my join date says feb 2010 and my posts say 272... do not be fooled by my journeyman status as i am just as qualified to be your chauffeur here on the OSSB4T. I have been dedicated to this thread since my smash rookie stage and i have only posted when i had something to say and/or a response... i constantly had vast amounts of ideas that had been ousted by other conversations and occasionally by single users on the boards never to turn back again. as you have noticed, i use texts in a way where understanding is grammatically sound. you're welcome! occasionally, i may not give all of the information from my brain as sometimes i think it only to believe that i typed it too. so, sorry for those rare occasions.
im also playing around with the chauffeur crap... there is no such thing here on the most chaotic place currently at SB.
lol flesh wound.

-

I would imagine that the tail spike would impale them by just enough to obscure the very tip of the tail. Anything more would be weird.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
but literally, tip into the opponent (as well as all of the cutting from marth and link and meta knight and ike and by extension roy) would give them all pretty bad flesh wounds.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
but literally, tip into the opponent (as well as all of the cutting from marth and link and meta knight and ike and by extension roy) would give them all pretty bad flesh wounds.
None of the sword user's actually penetrate with their swords in any moves do they? The knockback kicks in shortly after the hitboxes connect. So on smaller characters like Kirby, the tail wouldn't really even appear to be impaling them would it? It would probably be sitting above his head lol.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
yeah, that doesnt make sense though. Sakurai added tripping because people trip in real life, he must have realism in mind.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
impale (link's downthrust and upthrust) or not, a flesh wound is a flesh wound. a slash is just as bad.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
And a searing energy blast from Samus would pretty much disintegrate anything within a few hits, not to mention the Final Smash.
Realism Samus for Top Tier.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
man, if i was teaching a classroom, id definitely be the fun substitute teacher... time to get real.

one thing i cannot see Ridley doing is that tail grinding thing... usually in fan Ridley move sets, this move is the choice for down b...

the reason why i wouldn't want this to be down b is because, well, what are you, invincible? immune to knockback but can still be damaged? if Ridley is scaled down and is prone to all of the fallacies of the other combatants and isn't immune to knockback anymore the way Master Hand is, then he will have this relatively slow, gliding-above-the-ground, buffer damaging only move where he is easy to knock off the stage because the enemy dodged it easily.
the location of the tail with the current location of Ridley is my problem too. the damage box is too close to his body considering Ridley has been scaled down.

on that tail... did anyone notice that the opening sequence in melee has ridley with practically no tail? i would have to say that if he gets in, for him to have melee opening size wings and no tail.

because the problem isn't just the wingspan, it is also his tail. it is his wings as well as his tail for more reasons that i have given.
and on that note... ridley will not make an appearance in Super Smash Brothers 4 or possibly any smash to come.
dug this from one of my may 17th posts.

also... i have a problem with the size of his head.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
man, if i was teaching a classroom, id definitely be the fun substitute teacher... time to get real.

dug this from one of my may 17th posts.

also... i have a problem with the size of his head.
The best proportions and design is definitely the Melee design.

Which is based on his Super Metroid concept art, which looks nothing like his actual sprites for some reason.

However, the Brawl version and Other M version have the smallest heads, then Omega Ridley.

Brawl version's is probably most probable.

Here's Omega Ridley's head.
Although he's closer to a European dragon then a humanoid shape in this appearance. He can stand and walk but it is slightly awkward.

I like the head shape on Other M, but the rest of his just looks too bulky. The Other M form is almost constantly on 2 legs walking around and it looks awesome.

-

To fit in-

The main thing to note is that the wings and tail would not have hurtboxes. This would allow them to take up a bit more space on the battlefield without making him a sitting duck.

Ridley is known for having stupidly small wings in the older appearances. This should carry on in some aspect. Wings should be folded down over his back during all animations not requiring them to be flapping.
The wings should be so small that they couldn't logically provide the necessary lift, but just big enough to not look ridiculous like his sprites. In this case, the Brawl and Melee models are close, but the wings need to be just a bit smaller. About 10% smaller would probably look best.

Tail would need to be no more than 3/4 his torso length. Any longer than that and it will become difficult to keep it within his "square" of mass without having it wrapped and twisted around his leg area.
The main thing about the tail is that it stretches. The tail doesn't need to be full length during idle animations. It should only grow to fit the length seen in his sprites during animations in which he is striking with it.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i like the way he looks like here
the head shape looks right.
but i cannot see this.
scaled down and playable.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Well, as i said in my moveset up there, i had his tail stab as down aerial. He wouldnt be invincible during it or anything, and would just stab 3 times fast with 3 hitboxes while hovering. He would still be able to take damage and opponents will be able to cancel the attack. Also, his tail has been shown to stretch on the games, so it wouldnt matter how long it is, he could stretch it to give him reach.
If you meant the tail grinding thing like where he flys across the stage with the tail dragging across the ground, then no, thats just ******** looking anyway. Why would people want him to do that?

His head is almost always tucked in on his poseable neck and it has varied in size in most games anyway, so i dont see how thats an issue. I mean look how small his head is on Other M compared to his body. The wings would be closed up and folded most of the time, and his tail should be at his side during most all animations, unless of course he is attacking with it. Its not like he will drag a big long tail behind him, it should be curved along his side to save space.

EDIT*

Yeah, that grinding thing is stupid. If he does anything like that it would be 3 fast tail stabs while being completely vulnerable to damage and knockback. Of course they wouldnt just shrink the boss one down and make it playable, since its just a MasterHand clone anyway.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
i like the way he looks like here
the head shape looks right.
but i cannot see this.
scaled down and playable.
That first one is just concept for Meta Ridley isn't it?
Although Other M Ridley has almost the exact same proportions as that. Other M Ridley's head is actually smaller than that one isn't it?

During that battle I hate the size and shape of his model. I was referring to his Brawl concept art in which the proportions are much more respectable.

You would also need to note that he wouldn't be airborne constantly as he is in the boss battle. His wings would never be extended except when he's jumping/gliding. They should then extend, flap, then fold over the back again. It would only be for a split second as in Meta Knight's jumps.

He wouldn't be any different from Charizard frame-wise. He would only be a ft or so taller. He would not be wider.

Also note the Charizard Ridley model.

The head would need to be slightly smaller than this. Imagine the head being about 10-20% smaller and just a little shorter from the spike to the beak.
Limbs would need to be about 6 inches - 1 ft longer but keep them tucked into his frame.
Torso needs to be thinner.
Tail is the right size.
Wings are about 30% too large.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
^ yeah, that. StarWaffle is a boss. Just make head and wings littler, make him skinnier, then make his limbs longer.
It already looks perfect during game-play but up close you can tell its just made on Charizard.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Wow a Ridley size debate. I feel like I took a time machine to four years ago. Regardless of all the little nitpicks people want to bring up, if they want to put Ridley in the game, they can think of a way. That's all there is to it. Also August. I was super curious as to your realistic roster since you seem to hold the key to intelligent assertions....

:phone:

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
Wow a Ridley size debate. I feel like I took a time machine to four years ago. Regardless of all the little nitpicks people want to bring up, if they want to put Ridley in the game, they can think of a way. That's all there is to it. Also August. I was super curious as to your realistic roster since you seem to hold the key to intelligent assertions....

:phone:
I'm curious too.

Ridley isn't on the roster so I have no idea how you are going to come up with enough newcomers to deem a new game even necessary. I can only think of 4-5 characters that hold any chance, Ridley included.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
All we can do is argue over Ridley, Toad or Lucario. There is nothing else.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
no no!! im not some magic guy... just a random gamer who does extensive random research.

looking at that charidley... oh my, that looks disgusting... did i mention that I'm a graphics whoore?

anyways, the reason why i prefer the illustration of Omega Ridley is because it is more proportionate. ever since i started attending that evil jerk, Steven Hampton's anatomy class, my views had changed whether i wanted them to or not.

the anatomy in the illustration is better suited for smash bros than the boss battle ridley in brawl.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
He has a higher chance of being it, than not, so theres no need to argue. Just wait until its released so i can laugh : p

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
I have a new subject.

Should tripping return??

I liked the 4 players on the Cafe and up to 4 more using a 3ds. But 8 players would really be crazy.
4 Player free for alls are so hectic that you can't even think straight so 8 would be more annoying than fun.

I prefer 1v1 myself, but 3 player matches are also good from time to time.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Yeah, but make it optional. Or just keep it. People will hack it out anyway so idc.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i don't know but every time i see your icon, Hoots, i feel like i should respect you. did you ever tell Toise who that icon is?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Okay guys, I just got a PM from someone (wishes to remain anonymous) saying that they got some inside information. Apparently, Smash 4 WILL be at E3 this year, and there will even be video footage of it. Treat this with a huge grain of salt. I will press for information on any newcomers.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
damn it hoots. HOOTS!!!! he always has one thing to say then goes... such an enigma. that hoots.

alright chrono... who pm'd you?

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
@ Aether

Sakurai: *laughs*

Okay guys, I just got a PM from someone (wishes to remain anonymous) saying that they got some inside information. Apparently, Smash 4 WILL be at E3 this year, and there will even be video footage of it. Treat this with a huge grain of salt. I will press for information on any newcomers.
The rumor said it would be playable though. Although I think that specific part of the rumor might have been wrong. I was assuming that at the most, it meant that they would have one demo up with maybe 2 preset characters playable just to showcase some new feature/gimmick.

In reality, I expect a video showing the new graphics or discussing said new gimmick/feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom