• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He can and should. Castlevania is a very successful franchise that is rich in character history and storyline. Bomberman can't boast that. Bomberman didn't have a real storyline really until it went 3D. Simon is an iconic character (not saying that Bomberman isn't) of an iconic series. Maybe he isn't as successful as Mega-man, but you can't seriously state that Castlevania isn't very well-known compared to Mega-Man. the only reason Bomberman is well known is because he is part of a great multiplayer genre. Castlevania is a great single player game (until recently with the fighting release)

Don't misread me and think I am saying Castlevania deserves a rep over Mega man. But I do believe they do over Bomber.
All Im saying is from thailand to new zealand, Megaman can be pointed out. You cant say that for Simon. As for bomberman, im not going into the whole Bomberman vs. Castlevania arguement because it ends up being me vs everyone else. Call me stubborn, but i guess im just a die hard fan. not to mention bomberman is the 4th most wanted third party on my poll

1st Sonic
2nd Snake
3rd Megaman
4th Bomberman

Of course, Leave it to me to forget Simon. Still, characters like Simon seem to not get as many votes. Shadow, Sora, and Ryu are high in votes as well.
All im trying to say is, Megaman is in a totally different league. Ive known of megaman since i was a kid. I didnt learn of Simon until Nsider forums 2007.

Namco, i would prefer anyone over Pac man. Klanoa, Soul Caliber, ect.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I didnt learn of Simon until Nsider forums 2007.
Lol that is awful, Simon has been around (famously) since 1986 lol. It's all good though, albeit a little unbelievable. But i won't hold it against you. Just a little suprising is all, especially for a nintendo fan as myself.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Lol that is awful, Simon has been around (famously) since 1986 lol. It's all good though, albeit a little unbelievable. But i won't hold it against you. Just a little suprising is all, especially for a nintendo fan as myself.
Stfu? Sorry Im not into that game? Jeez. I was born 1993. *stops himself*

Have a good day ;)

Legend_Of_Wii

Smash Rookie
I hope they would make SSB4 for the Wii 2.
Here's what SSB4 needs...

1; A new character select screen feature
We need left/right arrows on the CSS, that way we can click on them to change the character list.
If there is going to be a lot of characters in SSB4 (I hope they put in a ton! XDDD), the CSS should work like the Mii select screen.

2; Miis
Yes. Yes! YES!! WII NEED MIIS! I want to play as myself (note, a mii of myself) or as funny miis. Customizing your Mii's moves would be awesome sauce!

There would be a "Make Mii Attack" mode where you can create your own attacks for your Miis. It would be done to make animations by frames, you can click & drag the body parts in each frame to make a animation, save them onto the Wii or on a SD card, and even let people download the animations you made.

3; More non-nintendo characters!
Sonic is an awesome character in SSBB, Snake was good too. But if they decide to make SSB4, they need more third party characters! Characters like Megaman, Zero, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Bomberman, Chrono, Cloud Strife, and more third-party characters deserves to be in SSB4.

And we need 1 or more anime characters in SSB4 for crying out loud! Did you guys know Marth was originally an ANIME character? We need Goku, and more anime characters.

4; A better stage creator
I love the stage creator, it's so cool! What would be most epic besides adding more different parts is a "paint background" feature so you can draw your own fighting background (or load a picture from an SD card), a "custom textures" feature for painting the parts to make them look fancy or whatever you want, and a "part creator" feature so you can make your own parts to fight on!

5; Custom music
Love music you listen to? Well I would love to play my favorite music when I battle too.
We need a "My Music", we would be able to load the music we picked from a SD card and battle with our favorite songs playing!

6: Different cheat system?
Battling unlockable characters are fun, but sometimes people loses to the unlockables characters and it can be so frustrating for them. Instead of doing that whole "do the cheat, get challenged, and beat them to unlock them", what if you would get a PASSWORD for unlocking your hidden character?

Or better yet a "Smash Shop" mode to buy unlockable characters or other goodies with smash coins.
It would be cool to see Nintendo have a unlockable password or smash shop put in SSB4.

7; Smash Story Creator?
What if there was a Smash Story Creator? There would be endless ideas for Nintendo to put in the Smash Story Creator. You put in who is the boss, who is the hero, what it's about, ETC.

8; Item Creator!
Now this would be awesome, I've always wanted to make my own item for characters to pick up and use.
It would have different stuff on there, you can make the model. Choose what type of item you want it to be rather it's a whacking item, throwing item, or whatever you can think of.

9; NO ASSIST TROPHIES!
I really disliked the assist trophies. Nintendo should take them out in SSB4!

10; Team Final Smash?
I love the final smashes, they are amazing! I would like to see another type of Final Smash.
A team final smash would ONLY appear in a team battle, they would unleash their final smash all at once.

Epic win? =D

PF9

Smash Lord
Another idea concerning music:

Let's say you want to listen to your favorite radio station, but you don't want to turn an actual radio on.

One feature of the next Smash should be to use the NWFC to replace the in-game music with a streaming radio station from your area.

You could toggle between game music, popular rock music (which would be in the game to provide a party game-like atmosphere), and radio stream in the options menu.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

We need left/right arrows on the CSS, that way we can click on them to change the character list.
If there is going to be a lot of characters in SSB4 (I hope they put in a ton! XDDD), the CSS should work like the Mii select screen.
I don't think that will be necessary. I like the traditional screen design anyway. Also, don't expect anymore then maybe 45 character slots in the game.

2; Miis
Yes. Yes! YES!! WII NEED MIIS! I want to play as myself (note, a mii of myself) or as funny miis. Customizing your Mii's moves would be awesome sauce!

There would be a "Make Mii Attack" mode where you can create your own attacks for your Miis. It would be done to make animations by frames, you can click & drag the body parts in each frame to make a animation, save them onto the Wii or on a SD card, and even let people download the animations you made.
This wouldn't be so easy to pull off as it sounds. Customizing characters and attacks just isn't something that would work well for a game that's as varied and as diverse as Smash.

In any case, I'd say no to the inclusion of Miis as playable characters. Sure, they could implemented into the game somehow. Maybe as an Assist Trophy or as a stage hazard or something, but not a playable character.

Sonic is an awesome character in SSBB, Snake was good too. But if they decide to make SSB4, they need more third party characters! Characters like Megaman, Zero, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Bomberman, Chrono, Cloud Strife, and more third-party characters deserves to be in SSB4.

And we need 1 or more anime characters in SSB4 for crying out loud! Did you guys know Marth was originally an ANIME character? We need Goku, and more anime characters.
While everyone wants to see all of their favorite third party characters included, this just isn't something you should expect. Sonic got in because of popularity, Snake got in because his creator begged for him to be inluded and it adds some diversity. Something people need to remember is that THIS IS A NINTENDO GAME. The whole point of Smash is to see your favorite Nintendo characters duke it out. Adding more Third Party characters makes less room for more Nintendo Characters, which is who the game is all about.

Also, definitely don't expect multiple representatives of a Third Party series. Sonic represents the Sonic series, we don't need anymore. It's a Third Party series, it doesn't deseerve even MORE characters in a NINTENDO game. Even multiple representatives per third-party developer shouldn't be expected. Make room for the Nintendo characters that deseerve to be in the game. Having third-party characters completely overrun the roster is just unfair, considering this is a NINTENDO game.

If we do see any new third-parties, don't expect more than one. That one being Megaman. Think about it, each of the reasons for Snake and Sonic getting in could apply to Megaman. He is pretty popular, and people have always wanted to see him in the game. His creator also wants to see him in the game (don't have the exact source, but I'm sure enough people remember this fact to back me up). We'll lucky to get even Megaman though.

One more thing... Marth DID NOT start as an anime character, and Smash WILL NOT and SHOULD NOT EVER have any anime characters. Even if they've had a game on a Nintendo console, they are NOT Nintendo, they did NOT originate in a video game, and therefore, they DO NOT belong in Smash.

I love the stage creator, it's so cool! What would be most epic besides adding more different parts is a "paint background" feature so you can draw your own fighting background (or load a picture from an SD card), a "custom textures" feature for painting the parts to make them look fancy or whatever you want, and a "part creator" feature so you can make your own parts to fight on!

5; Custom music
Love music you listen to? Well I would love to play my favorite music when I battle too.
We need a "My Music", we would be able to load the music we picked from a SD card and battle with our favorite songs playing!
These are actually good ideas. I've always felt we needed a better and more involved stage builder. The music thing doesn't sound bad either.

Battling unlockable characters are fun, but sometimes people loses to the unlockables characters and it can be so frustrating for them. Instead of doing that whole "do the cheat, get challenged, and beat them to unlock them", what if you would get a PASSWORD for unlocking your hidden character?

Or better yet a "Smash Shop" mode to buy unlockable characters or other goodies with smash coins.
It would be cool to see Nintendo have a unlockable password or smash shop put in SSB4.
Not sure about this one. The most fun I got out of the first two Smash games was unlocking a character for the first time and being surprised or excited about the character. I never knew how I unlocked them or who they were until I saw them, and that surprise and excitement is where my love for Smash grew. Unfortunately the roster for Brawl was spoiled for me, so it wasn't as fun for me as the others.

I just wish people could get that same enjoyment out of the games that I do. But oh well.

7; Smash Story Creator?
What if there was a Smash Story Creator? There would be endless ideas for Nintendo to put in the Smash Story Creator. You put in who is the boss, who is the hero, what it's about, ETC.

8; Item Creator!
Now this would be awesome, I've always wanted to make my own item for characters to pick up and use.
It would have different stuff on there, you can make the model. Choose what type of item you want it to be rather it's a whacking item, throwing item, or whatever you can think of.
These ideas sound pretty cool, I really have nothing to say about them.

9; NO ASSIST TROPHIES!
Why? It's the perfect oppurtunity to see some of your favorite Nintendo characters that maybe weren't significant enough to earn a playable spot. Also, its a good way to represent other somewhat popular Nintendo series without having to give them a stage or a playable character.

10; Team Final Smash?
I love the final smashes, they are amazing! I would like to see another type of Final Smash.
A team final smash would ONLY appear in a team battle, they would unleash their final smash all at once.
This idea isn't to bad either I guess.

Epic win? =D
No. :laugh: Sorry, I explained my reasoning above. There were a few okay suggestions though...

Nintenden

Smash Cadet
All Im saying is from thailand to new zealand, Megaman can be pointed out. You cant say that for Simon. As for bomberman, im not going into the whole Bomberman vs. Castlevania arguement because it ends up being me vs everyone else. Call me stubborn, but i guess im just a die hard fan. not to mention bomberman is the 4th most wanted third party on my poll

1st Sonic
2nd Snake
3rd Megaman
4th Bomberman

Of course, Leave it to me to forget Simon. Still, characters like Simon seem to not get as many votes. Shadow, Sora, and Ryu are high in votes as well.
All im trying to say is, Megaman is in a totally different league. Ive known of megaman since i was a kid. I didnt learn of Simon until Nsider forums 2007.

Namco, i would prefer anyone over Pac man. Klanoa, Soul Caliber, ect.

The main thing we need is for Square Enix is stop acting like a douchebag to Nintendo, help make SSB4, and get Cloud, Sephiroth, and Geno in the game. This will increase the fanbase of SSB, resulting in a large amount of new Japanese fans. Trust me, Cloud is popular there- my friend was in Japan.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I think some third party needs to make a Smash-type game. That way we don't need to get all the 3rd party characters into SSB ;)
Or at least some sort of fighting game. Capcom's done zillions of them, and I'm sure Sega and Namco could get together - considering how similar the Virtua Fighter mechanics are to Tekken/Soul Calibur, when compared to Capcom or Nintendo games.

ToonNess64

Smash Rookie
While everyone wants to see all of their favorite third party characters included, this just isn't something you should expect. Sonic got in because of popularity, Snake got in because his creator begged for him to be inluded and it adds some diversity. Something people need to remember is that THIS IS A NINTENDO GAME. The whole point of Smash is to see your favorite Nintendo characters duke it out. Adding more Third Party characters makes less room for more Nintendo Characters, which is who the game is all about.

Also, definitely don't expect multiple representatives of a Third Party series. Sonic represents the Sonic series, we don't need anymore. It's a Third Party series, it doesn't deseerve even MORE characters in a NINTENDO game. Even multiple representatives per third-party developer shouldn't be expected. Make room for the Nintendo characters that deseerve to be in the game. Having third-party characters completely overrun the roster is just unfair, considering this is a NINTENDO game.

If we do see any new third-parties, don't expect more than one. That one being Megaman. Think about it, each of the reasons for Snake and Sonic getting in could apply to Megaman. He is pretty popular, and people have always wanted to see him in the game. His creator also wants to see him in the game (don't have the exact source, but I'm sure enough people remember this fact to back me up). We'll lucky to get even Megaman though.

One more thing... Marth DID NOT start as an anime character, and Smash WILL NOT and SHOULD NOT EVER have any anime characters. Even if they've had a game on a Nintendo console, they are NOT Nintendo, they did NOT originate in a video game, and therefore, they DO NOT belong in Smash.
This guy here speaks the truth!

Sure I said that I didn't mind Bomberman to be in. But overrunning the game with nothing but non-Nintendo characters isn't going to make the game any better. To be honest Sonic and Snake kind of toke away that "Nintendo" magic that the last two smash games had, and I rather not have Nintendo go too far with it in the future.

Also Sakurai actually toke note of that there ARE people around who DON'T want any third party's in smash brothers, and I'm glad he's aware of that.

Also it isn't as if Nintendo is running out of worthy characters. There are still loads in many series who can have a good role in the game's for another 5 smash games. (Not to mention the new Nintendo series to come in the future)

I think some third party needs to make a Smash-type game. That way we don't need to get all the 3rd party characters into SSB ;)
Or at least some sort of fighting game. Capcom's done zillions of them, and I'm sure Sega and Namco could get together - considering how similar the Virtua Fighter mechanics are to Tekken/Soul Calibur, when compared to Capcom or Nintendo games.
Like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle's Smash Up? That would be a great idea actually :p Then everyone is pleased... except for those ones who want a Link VS Rayman battle etc. wel... T-O-O-B-A-D ;p

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
What if the next Smash game made event matches based on the way you play? I'm not saying that all the matches should form from that, just a good amount.

Example: A fighter has 5 characters that they play as and 1 main. After a while an event match named "mutiny" appears, in which the player can only use their main and face an..ambush (for lack of better terms) from the 4 other characters they play as. Basically, there will be event matches that are unlocked or formed based on the players habits, and it will always be an unexpected surprise. It will feel like the characters in the game are somewhat alive, especially if they're tired of being secondaries compared to the main fighter, for example.

The Primid could also be a playable character in the next game.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
@BirthNote: Of course, that would probably keep track of who's being used based on the in-game name, right? And yes, Primid should be an actual character :)

If you want to see some Nintendo series that don't have a character in Brawl, look at the list of assist trophies. Golden Sun, Custom Robo, and Starfy stick out to me.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I think Sonic Should leave, but snake should stay, seeing as he started on a nintendo console. Add Megaman and Bomberman.

Nintenden

Smash Cadet
Do a Mario Kart and add Miis, Dry Bowser, Rosalina, Funky Kong, Birdo (as a boss), Koopa Troopa, and so on.

Who thought Marth was an anime character, again?

Pieman0920

Smash Master

This isn't a good idea. You have to remember that everyone shares the same character select screen, so if I'm trying to click Sheik for instance, and the other guy switches the character select screen to go select, say Isaac, they will hit the arrow, and I'll screw up on the selection process. Its a fairly minor complaint overall, but its also one that doesn't need to happen if the select screen is done properly.

2; Miis

I'm all for Miis with custom heads and what not, but they shouldn't have custom moves. It would screw around with any sense of balance too much. They should just have moves based around the sports that they play in, like rolling a bowling ball across the ground, using a giant boxing glove, or using the kendo sword.

I'm also alright with a few more third party characters, but there really shouldn't be that much more. Heck, anything beyond Mega Man is pushing it. Multiple characters from the same third party series (as opposed to company) also seems like a bad idea. If you do too much of that, Smash loses focus from being about Nintendo all stars.

And no anime characters. Sakurai even said as much. Marth was also originally video game character. Check your facts before saying something like that...though I'm sure people have corrected you by now.

Loading a picture from the SD card seems more practical. Anything drawn would probably end up looking like junk. Part creators may also be a bit complicated, but it might work.

5; Custom music
If we had custom music, we probably wouldn't have a My Music, because there would be little point to it. Because of this, I'm personally against this, since I'd much rather get more new remixes, than Nintendo just having us do their own work. Heck, that sentiment actually goes for a lot of other customizable content, though to a much lesser degree.

Smash's unlock system is fine as it is. Possibly they should turn down the difficulty of some of the challengers, but overall its not that bad. Also there is a nice sense of actually earning them. You don't get that with a password, and quite frankly it defeats the point of even having them locked, quite frankly.

Also the shop idea doesn't sound too hot either.

7; Smash Story Creator?

8; Item Creator!
These aren't practical in the slightest.

9; NO ASSIST TROPHIES!
And this just seems weird given everything else you've said. Assist Trophies work fine, honestly. They let less able, or lesser known characters get a nice cameo in the game. Its a shame really that it took three games for the idea to happen, honestly.

10; Team Final Smash?

Epic win? =D
Are you proposing that each person get a Smash Ball or that if one gets one, the other will automatically get the power as well? What would happen if say Kirby and Mario are on the field? Kirby would just suck everyone up into the cauldron, and Mario's attack would miss. What about Marth and Ike? Ike knocks them into the air, while Marth shoots on by, missing everything. Or what happens with the Ice Climbers and one of the Landmasters, eh?

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I think Sonic Should leave, but snake should stay, seeing as he started on a nintendo console. Add Megaman and Bomberman.
Removing Sonic and adding Bomberman? I'm pretty sure nothing like that will happen. Sonic has spanned across more consoles than any character in the game and has had a wide variety of his own games. And although his games have gone downhill quite a bit since 2000, he remains a well known, popular character, and is still the mascot of SEGA. Does Bomberman have any of that? Maybe a little, but he has nothing compared to Sonic.

I also see only one more third-party character being introduced, that character being Megaman. He would be added for each both Snake and Sonic were added; popularity and developer's request. After him though, don't expect much more third-parties. This is a Nintendo game after all. Let's make room for the Nintendo characters that are well-deserving of a spot by now.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Snake didn't start out on a Nintendo system either. And quite frankly, MM and Bomberman's franchises are shining examples in excellence. Classic Mega Man has been relegated to digital distribution, and the spin off series have never had all that much acclaim in recent years. (Don't get me wrong though, I think he shoudl get in. Its just foolhardy to take out Sonic in order to put him in) Bomberman keeps on getting games, but no one really pays any attention to them. And Bomberman is technically a Konami character, which we already have. If we were to get a second one though, Simon Belmont would be much better.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i abhor a number of things that have been said of late. anyways...

i wouldn't want to hinder sonic and snake but they are guests... what, were they invited for a sleep over? (another metaphor, lol)

i am curious on one thing right now, does Masahiro Sakurai have ultimate control on 64, melee and brawl? he does have advisers right? could they give advice to him and then he makes a decision? saying this, would it nullify anything that mentions that sakurai does not know of a certain thing? (note: this is all on the basis that Masahiro has advisers, if no, then disregard)

if and only if sonic stays, then they should have him use his moves from sonic battle, i believe i have said that before. no more of the over use of the spinning. (the **** spin grab should stay if sonic returns) there can be two completely different guests for smash 3ds and two more completely different guests for smash 4 and one guest for ultimate smash 64. can anyone guess what guests i would put where? (konami has 3 to 6 good chars, capcom has 3 to 8 good chars, namco has 3 to 5 good chars, sega has 3 to 6 good chars)

oh my gaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA!... due to my overwhelming laziness, i didn't read the SmashChu + ToiseOfChoice argument... i know i said that i read everything but this was an exception... sorry guys. it was just too much to bear. it was probably prone to me hating one of you so it was necessary to retain my kindness in the future.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@August: Sakurai doesn't have advisors, but he does like to hear people's input (be it fans or colleagues). Pretty sure there are several occasions where someone suggested an idea and he really liked it, or at least intrigued him enough to learn more about something.

And I would be very surprised if anyone read everything I wrote, even if it's addressed directly to them.

Nintenden

Smash Cadet
Snake didn't start out on a Nintendo system either.
Well, that's both true and false. By time of release, Snake was on the PS1 before Nintendo (as far as I know) but it is also false in that METAL GEAR SOLID (albeit a sequel to the original) was released for the GameBoy Color.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Snake didn't start out on a Nintendo system either. And quite frankly, MM and Bomberman's franchises are shining examples in excellence. Classic Mega Man has been relegated to digital distribution, and the spin off series have never had all that much acclaim in recent years. (Don't get me wrong though, I think he shoudl get in. Its just foolhardy to take out Sonic in order to put him in) Bomberman keeps on getting games, but no one really pays any attention to them. And Bomberman is technically a Konami character, which we already have. If we were to get a second one though, Simon Belmont would be much better.
I thought bomberman belonged to hudson

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
nintenden, if you become a mainstay, i suggest getting your own personal avatar like the rest of us... kuma... you stole that from me... arc got an avatar cause of you... im saddened now.

hudson belongs to konami; ergo konami>hudson>bomberman = konami>bomberman
hudson is affiliate to konami. for some reason on wiki, it says nintendo produces bomberman games... not all of them but im guessing a majority of bomberman games that are produced by nintendo make those wiki nerds say nintendo.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I am going to attempt to bring back up a subject I started awhile back that never really caught on.

With Ocarina of Time 3DS and Skyward Sword scheduled to be released in the future, does any one else besides me see a potential conflict of design in the next Smash Bros? For starters, we will have two different interpretations of older Link, one in Ocarina of Time and the other in Skyword Sword. Which design would they lean to? Most obviously Skyward Sword, but given the fact that Nintendo is actually remaking the "greatest game of all time" it could cause a few issues. It probably won't be as much a problem for Link as it could be for Zelda (who is who I have particularly in mind). Zelda is tricky, she has always made an appearance in every mainline Zelda game to date (after all the series IS named after her). Normally Zelda would just transition to the latest design as she has in the past two games, just one problem though. What does this mean for Shiek? Shiek does come from OoT so any design besides her soon to be updated model is just plain ignorant. It was understandable in Brawl as there was no set model and they needed to match the Twilight Princess theme. It would be to awkward to be playing as watercolor Zelda only to transfigure into a realistic Shiek, it does not work. This is not the same as Fox, Falco, and Wolf's blending of Assault and Commands designs' as Zelda's situation will be vastly different. Assuming Skyword Sword is in fact the first in the series timeline as quasi-stated by Miyamoto, we may see Ganondorf passed up in turn for a more original villain. So his design would probably revert back to the OoT/Melee design (which was 100x times better than his middle age man Twilight Princess design). I am not concerned about Toon Link as his design will probably remain untouched unless Sakurai or Nintendo ever decide to replace Toon Link for Young Link again. It certainly would be interesting, we could potentially have four characters from the same series sporting three different design styles if all characters remain.

What do you guys think? Am I just over analyzing stuff here or do you think what I am saying may be a legitimate issue in the future?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I am going to attempt to bring back up a subject I started awhile back that never really caught on.

With Ocarina of Time 3DS and Skyward Sword scheduled to be released in the future, does any one else besides me see a potential conflict of design in the next Smash Bros? For starters, we will have two different interpretations of older Link, one in Ocarina of Time and the other in Skyword Sword. Which design would they lean to? Most obviously Skyward Sword, but given the fact that Nintendo is actually remaking the "greatest game of all time" it could cause a few issues. It probably won't be as much a problem for Link as it could be for Zelda (who is who I have particularly in mind). Zelda is tricky, she has always made an appearance in every mainline Zelda game to date (after all the series IS named after her). Normally Zelda would just transition to the latest design as she has in the past two games, just one problem though. What does this mean for Shiek? Shiek does come from OoT so any design besides her soon to be updated model is just plain ignorant. It was understandable in Brawl as there was no set model and they needed to match the Twilight Princess theme. It would be to awkward to be playing as watercolor Zelda only to transfigure into a realistic Shiek, it does not work. This is not the same as Fox, Falco, and Wolf's blending of Assault and Commands designs' as Zelda's situation will be vastly different. Assuming Skyword Sword is in fact the first in the series timeline as quasi-stated by Miyamoto, we may see Ganondorf passed up in turn for a more original villain. So his design would probably revert back to the OoT/Melee design (which was 100x times better than his middle age man Twilight Princess design). I am not concerned about Toon Link as his design will probably remain untouched unless Sakurai or Nintendo ever decide to replace Toon Link for Young Link again. It certainly would be interesting, we could potentially have four characters from the same series sporting three different design styles if all characters remain.

What do you guys think? Am I just over analyzing stuff here or do you think what I am saying may be a legitimate issue in the future?
Meh, Im sure they will make an "updated" version of sheik, for skyward sword Zelda. This could be quite the perdicament though, i feel weird having an updated Link and Zelda, but reverting Ganondorf. Considering the three seem to stay in the same design as one another. Im sure Ganondorf will make at least a Minor apperance in SS. Idk though, i never thought about that.
*Crosses his fingers* Just bring Vaati back as the Skyward Sword Villain!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
First off, wall of text.

With Ocarina of Time 3DS and Skyward Sword scheduled to be released in the future, does any one else besides me see a potential conflict of design in the next Smash Bros? For starters, we will have two different interpretations of older Link, one in Ocarina of Time and the other in Skyword Sword. Which design would they lean to? Most obviously Skyward Sword, but given the fact that Nintendo is actually remaking the "greatest game of all time" it could cause a few issues.
Assuming that we don't get some original art style for Link in SSB4, I'd be more inclined to believe we'll have the Skyward Sword look. The OoT remake is just that, a remake. Another thing is that Skyward Sword Link is, if I recall, the oldest Link we've had in the Zelda series so he qualifies as the older Link I suppose.

If we're to get OoT stuff in SSB4, I think it would be a stage (Kokiri Forest plz), music, and whatnot.

Shiek does come from OoT so any design besides her soon to be updated model is just plain ignorant. It was understandable in Brawl as there was no set model and they needed to match the Twilight Princess theme. It would be to awkward to be playing as watercolor Zelda only to transfigure into a realistic Shiek, it does not work.
Actually, Shiek was planned at one point for Twilight Princess so they had designs of her that went unused.

This is not the same as Fox, Falco, and Wolf's blending of Assault and Commands designs' as Zelda's situation will be vastly different. Assuming Skyword Sword is in fact the first in the series timeline as quasi-stated by Miyamoto, we may see Ganondorf passed up in turn for a more original villain. So his design would probably revert back to the OoT/Melee design (which was 100x times better than his middle age man Twilight Princess design).
Ganondorf may not be passed up here. His role could be different where his Ganon form plays a larger role. It's hard to tell though.

On another note, I did not like what they did with the Starfox characters in Brawl. It should've been one or the other. Then again, Starfox has never really had a consistent art style. Aside from Zelda, Metroid's the only one you could say is similar, but that's just with the Prime trilogy.

I think it would be neat if the Zelda characters had their OoT counterparts available as alternate costumes. It would solve the issue overall.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sorry about the wall of text. Should have put spaces in between my paragraph on each character.

Assuming that we don't get some original art style for Link in SSB4, I'd be more inclined to believe we'll have the Skyward Sword look. The OoT remake is just that, a remake. Another thing is that Skyward Sword Link is, if I recall, the oldest Link we've had in the Zelda series so he qualifies as the older Link I suppose.

If we're to get OoT stuff in SSB4, I think it would be a stage (Kokiri Forest plz), music, and whatnot.
"Adult" Link will more than likely be in his Skyward Sword incarnation. That I am pretty sure of, more of my concern was involving Zelda and possibly Ganondorf. Remake or not it still will be a "new" Zelda game and a separate item from Skyward Sword. Remember, there are kids now who have never likely experienced Ocarina of Time (though that is probably mitigated thanks to the Virtual Console).

Actually, Shiek was planned at one point for Twilight Princess so they had designs of her that went unused.
Oh, I am aware of that. My point more or less was we probably won't be seeing Sheik playing a role in Skyward Sword. So we are left with a potential discrepancy between Zelda and Shiek which poses a problem since they transform into one another.

Ganondorf may not be passed up here. His role could be different where his Ganon form plays a larger role. It's hard to tell though.
This may get a little off topic but from what I know regarding the whole timeline is that, chronologically, the series begins with Minish Cap. Ganondorf doesn't show up until Ocarina of Time, then we get into the whole time split theory where we essentially have one Ganondorf for each split in time. Since Skyward Sword will predate Ocarina of Time there is some issue with reusing Ganondorf. Not to mention Hidemaro Fujibayashi is directing this game and before SS he worked on Oracle of Ages/Season, Minish Cap, and Phantom Hourglass. All of which do not have Ganondorf for what its worth.

So if Ganondorf doesn't make an appearance the latest design for him will be an updated Ocarina of Time model, which leads to what I stated previously.

I think it would be neat if the Zelda characters had their OoT counterparts available as alternate costumes. It would solve the issue overall.
Yes, that would be a good idea. Would make my headache go away. lol

Or they could just troll everyone and have Skyward Sword Link, Twilight Princess Zelda/Shiek, Ocarina of Time Gannondorf, and Toon Link. I would laugh so hard at that, though no one else would likely understand. >_>

AndorranPrince

Smash Rookie
As normal, a new pokemon and a new mario character are expected in any new game, seeing as they are two of the *stars*. The new pokemon will likely be a legendary from season 5. They've got Mario well covered. Ummm, I'd definetly like to see Gcube play allowed, I refuse to play SSB with a wiimote :p

I would definetly like to see a Square Enix representation *cough* Not Geno *cough*, Cloud or Neku. Neku would be great ^_^

I'd like to see more of the smaller series (TWEWY, Custom Robo, etc) because they have some of the best games ^_^

As for removals, I wouldn't mind saying buh-bye to Toon Link, simply because he's a palette swap of normal link, and I want the veterans to stay in. Ganondorf should be remodelled, not just given a sword TAUNT >:(

I'd like to see a SSB4 :D

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

With Ocarina of Time 3DS and Skyward Sword scheduled to be released in the future, does any one else besides me see a potential conflict of design in the next Smash Bros? For starters, we will have two different interpretations of older Link, one in Ocarina of Time and the other in Skyword Sword. Which design would they lean to? Most obviously Skyward Sword, but given the fact that Nintendo is actually remaking the "greatest game of all time" it could cause a few issues. It probably won't be as much a problem for Link as it could be for Zelda (who is who I have particularly in mind).
No, I don't think it will be that big of a deal. The only goal of the Smash Bros universe when it comes to character designs is to make it reasonably believable that, based on their appearances, they could have come from the same world. This is why Toon Link wasn't truely cell-shaded in Brawl. The redesign that Link is getting isn't all that much different from his TP appearance so all they would do is make the minor adjustments to update his look and that would be it. As for Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf, they are currently in the same boat as characters like DK and Mario who haven't had big character redesigns for at least a decade. For them, they'd just be given more detail that will make the fans go "ZOMG, REALISM" just like they did with Melee and Brawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As for Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf, they are currently in the same boat as characters like DK and Mario who haven't had big character redesigns for at least a decade. For them, they'd just be given more detail that will make the fans go "ZOMG, REALISM" just like they did with Melee and Brawl.
I can give you Sheik a little bit, but did you play Twilight Princess because those were redesigns right there.

Ugh, realism. It's pseudo-realism at best, but you guys already know my opinion on SSB's artstyle since Melee.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I can give you Sheik a little bit, but did you play Twilight Princess because those were redesigns right there.

Ugh, realism. It's pseudo-realism at best, but you guys already know my opinion on SSB's artstyle since Melee.
No, I was comparing to them characters that have basically looked the same for over a decade. I know TP was only 3 1/2 years ago. I was just saying that it's not likely that Ganondorf, Sheik, and Zelda are going to get huge redesigns before SSB4 is announced (which will probably be 3-4 years from now) so that makes them comparable to DK (who has had the same design since DKC in 1994) and Mario (who has had the same design since SM64in 1996).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Toise, I dont think you can put Simon near the same place as megaman. I dont even put bomberman near megaman.
Elite: Mario/Sonic/MegaMan/Black Mage

In-betweens: Simon/Bomberman/Lloyd/Chrono

Less Popular: Bub and Bob/Nightmare/Muramasa

Simon, Bomberman(sorta), Lloyd and Chrono are not universally recognized characters. It just seems silly to call Simon an Honorary character.
"Honorary Nintendo character" as in "strongly associated with Nintendo platforms." All of the best Castlevania games can be played on Nintendo systems except Bloodlines (which will probably be on the VC anyway) and Symphony of the Night. Panera Bread got the right idea.

Guess I should've expected someone older to mention Captain N.

edit in case you don't wanna look through the last page:
To both of you.

Megaman is the only character outside of Nintendo that there is some consensus over (that they want in Smash). Everyone else is up in the air and there is plenty of disagreement. Your playing with hay and saying which one is the longest.

If we are discussing which characters are somehow most important to Nintendo, then don't. It's a waste of time that will get no one anywhere. Again, you're trying to say which peice of hay is the longest.

"Honorary Nintendo Character," means jack ****. It's just one of the millions of ways that people try to justify their character. Oh, look, Simons an Honorary Nintendo character. Let me put this silly little medal on him. It means nothing. Is Konami going to release a statement about how someone on a message forum think Simon is almost a Nintendo character. This has been going on forever. It's just another way to say character X that you want is better than characters A,B and C. And before Toise tries to question my motives, fans do this for every characters, even Nintendo ones, and they are still wrong.

So, I'm not sure what ranking characters and giving them a medal has to do with anything.

@Kuma:There is something way back that I meant to respond to but I never did. I'll try to get back to it maybe.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Fatman: Well there's a pretty big difference between extra detail on a static design versus new outfits, faces, hair, voices, etc. Ganondorf in particular has some very striking differences in each version.

Anyway, I'd be pretty surprised to see them picking OoT designs over the newer SS ones, remake or no. I think Metroid is the only series where he ignored a more modern design in favor of an older one (and might've just been Prime bias or whatever).

@Chu: Congratulations, you've misread something rather straightforward again. Probably didn't help that Shortie did too.

I use the term "honorary Nintendo character" to mean that said character/series is associated with Nintendo products considerably more than, say, Sony. It has nothing to do with popularity, importance, whatever. Some people have a tendency to confuse these kind of games for Nintendo owned properties.

Turns out a lot of fans who accept 3rd party characters specifically want them to have a strong history with Nintendo. Some of them make exceptions for Snake or their own personal favorites, some don't. That's about it.

If you really want me to make a grand list of these characters/series, I'd be happy to, there's a ton of them. Panera Bread already made a solid list of the ones people see as candidates for Smash though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom