• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
No comprendes?

In regards to improvising, that's sort of ambigious mixups (something I've "coined). My definition is that you have a attack (or more) that has several different follow ups. It forces the opponent to guess what to do and try to counter it or block it (depending on the attack).

Maybe a good example would be Bridget from Guilty Gear. Yes, the one everyone's gay for One of his attacks is that he has a yo-yo that remains in mid-air and there are several attacks to choose from. You have to decide which followup to use, aka improvise, depending on the situation and your opponent's options. So, I think Professor Layton may not be a beginner friendly character.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
What about the dog from Duck Hunt? The only idea I have for moves would be:

UpB: He pulls out two ducks that help him fly up onto the stage.

SideB: He tosses a clay disk forward that acts as a sort of boomerang.

Side Taunt: The iconic dog laugh.

That's all I've got, really. XD

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
No no, I'm not talking about his general playstyle.

I mean "thematically about improvising" as in if he's in a forest, he'll be swinging around a branch. If he's in a castle, it's a sword. Future, lead pipe, you get the idea.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How do you suppose that would work? I doubt it'd be like the crates that had their aesthetics changed in Brawl depending on the level. You'd practically have to design stages AROUND Layton which I doubt anyone wants.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
How do you suppose that would work? I doubt it'd be like the crates that had their aesthetics changed in Brawl depending on the level. You'd practically have to design stages AROUND Layton which I doubt anyone wants.
That WAS what I had in mind. The idea being that functionally his moveset doesn't really change much aside from maybe tiny differences between stages, although maybe one or two moves would be pretty different. Like the difference between whatever Peach gets for her forward smash or down-B, but fixed to one thing per stage. And even that's not really a requirement.

Aesthetically though, what's the problem? It's not difficult to swap in some models/sounds, and that's exactly how he fights in every Layton game: he's in a fix, he finds something within reach, and he wins the day. There's no Gressenheller Sword of Truth or anything.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Idea:

A 3D fighting super smash bros game.
No.

If there was, I probably wouldn't buy it; it would just completely alter the main elements in Smash Bros.

It's not supposed to be a traditional fighting game... or was it the other way around?

Wiis are region blocked for gifts until you change your country settings to what the other person has for their country. :p

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
No.

If there was, I probably wouldn't buy it; it would just completely alter the main elements in Smash Bros.

It's not supposed to be a traditional fighting game... or was it the other way around?

Wiis are region blocked for gifts until you change your country settings to what the other person has for their country. :p
I do not Imagen 3d smash bros being traditional. Imagen your traditional 3d fighting games but now give them weird complex stages (Like 3d battle field walk around the square with three floating platforms.) with platforms that you can double jump to (You still have you third jump up b) and the goal of ringing out your opponent still applies here, the more you damage them the further they are knocked back. Also no natural combos exist just various A moves that one can chain together as combos. (like in the current games.) Also I Imagen the screen being split into four parts, and each player has a first person point of view (Metriod prime-esque) on the corresponding screen.

gantrain05

Smash Master
a 3d...first person....split screen...fighter? that sounds terrible and it would be wayyy to clunky of controls, u couldn't really do alot of the basic things that make smash what it is imo

and the more i think about it, the more Dissidia comes to mind, and thats not a good thing lol.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Well, it is not that bad and can be done with out clunky controls.

Many games that where 2D are now 3D and with so many games to draw from why not the conversion.

Similar to how Samus Might play in 3d Smash.
Similar to how Link Might play in 3d Smash.
Similar to how Weegee might play in 3d smash.

Of course add A button moves and the B moves. Nerf and upgrade as to create character balance. So I think it can be done correctly if they are careful. Although now that I think about it I think it should be split screen overhead view but I am not sure.

tracyk859

Smash Rookie
I'm hoping for more characters obviously, Megaman being one. Keep pretty much all the ones we have now just differentiate some of them up a bit. Better online and stage builder would be nice too.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, it seems that both King K. Rool (and all other Kremlings) and Dixie Kong Kong (and all other Kongs except for Cranky Kong) are not in Donkey Kong Country Returns. Are you guys going to say neither will be in Smash 4 because they weren't in the new DKC game? Keep in mind that Sakurai planned to add Dixie in Brawl even though Dixie didn't have any major roles in any DK games since DKC3 in 1996.

@ soldiviner

These are the same specials I came up with for the Duck Hunt dog. LOL

B: Duck - dog releases duck from the bush; you control the duck like Ness's PK Thunder; let go of B button to make the hunter from the fourth wall shoot the duck

Side B: Clay Pigeon - dog pulls out frisbee from the bush; dog throws it; you control the frisbee like Link's boomerang but it doesn't come back; let go of B button to make the hunter from the fourth wall shoot the frisbee

Up B: Fly Away - dog pulls out two ducks from the bush and fly away like Pit's recovery

Down B: Bush - dog jumps into the portable bush in order to be able to use his moves

Final Smash: Open Season - ducks fly out from the bush; you become the hunter from the fourth wall and shoot at everyone but you only have three shots (each shot is an one-hit KO)

One more thing, I don't want a 3-D Smash Bros. It would drastically change the gameplay and the series would lose its fans and some fans would say that Smash is "ruined FOREVER". If the Melee vs. Brawl debate was bad, imagine how it would be with 2D vs. 3D.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So, it seems that both King K. Rool (and all other Kremlings) and Dixie Kong Kong (and all other Kongs except for Cranky Kong) are not in Donkey Kong Country Returns. Are you guys going to say neither will be in Smash 4 because they weren't in the new DKC game? Keep in mind that Sakurai planned to add Dixie in Brawl even though Dixie didn't have any major roles in any DK games since DKC3 in 1996.

@ soldiviner

These are the same specials I came up with for the Duck Hunt dog. LOL

B: Duck - dog releases duck from the bush; you control the duck like Ness's PK Thunder; let go of B button to make the hunter from the fourth wall shoot the duck

Side B: Clay Pigeon - dog pulls out frisbee from the bush; dog throws it; you control the frisbee like Link's boomerang but it doesn't come back; let go of B button to make the hunter from the fourth wall shoot the frisbee

Up B: Fly Away - dog pulls out two ducks from the bush and fly away like Pit's recovery

Down B: Bush - dog jumps into the portable bush in order to be able to use his moves

Final Smash: Open Season - ducks fly out from the bush; you become the hunter from the fourth wall and shoot at everyone but you only have three shots (each shot is an one-hit KO)

One more thing, I don't want a 3-D Smash Bros. It would drastically change the gameplay and the series would lose its fans and some fans would say that Smash is "ruined FOREVER". If the Melee vs. Brawl debate was bad, imagine how it would be with 2D vs. 3D.
For the DKCR part, has this been 100% confirmed? :O

For the Duck Hunt Dog, I so love the idea behind his moves, and the Final Smash sounds so funny!

For the SSB3DS, assuming they even make a port (let alone with 3-D), I'm fairly certain you're able to toggle the 3-D off, which will be useful for those who find the 3-D bothersome.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It looks like it, according to the latest Nintendo Power issue. The ONLY Kong other than Donkey and Diddy appearing in DKCR is Cranky. :(

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It looks like it, according to the latest Nintendo Power issue. The ONLY Kong other than Donkey and Diddy appearing in DKCR is Cranky. :(
Wow, then that's quite the big risk on Nintendo's part, I should think. It's not like they haven't taken risks before, so let's hope they know what they're doing. >__>

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
let me take off my gloves for this one, i don't want them full of blood...

erghiez was NOT made by Masahiro Sakurai. /Thunderpunch!
bad mechanics can be avoided when the tools of the trade are in the right hands. /Fire Punch!
@jaklub... HYES! :)
@dragFight... /Mach Punch!/ Keep it a sidescroller forever! 3d can still be seen on a 2d plane. /Doubleslap*bloody/ the Nintendog will own on ssb3ds as an assist trophy @Arcadenik /Doubleslap continues/ ruined forever? /Ice Punch!/ as time progresses, you will see that you were mistaken, as you age, you will finally realize that smash cant be ruined because we still have 64, melee, and brawl to continually play... /you were frozen by the ice punch./ /Doubleslap continues, lol/
Duck Hunt Dog... /Facepalm
(faces ElPan... thinking: "you want some of this?") /Future Sight

oh no! i got blood on my face!... wheres my backup? i need to use Beat Up!... or Assist. lol y'know what? how about a baton pass? im tired. ran out of PP and i don't want to struggle.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
I personally think that Smash should be kept in a 2D style (just with 3D models and such). Making the game completely 3D would alter quite a bit of the game play in my opinion and complicate it as well.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Its very possible in my opinion. DKC Returns is pretty much the biggest DK game since DK64, so its likely going to effect how the series progresses profoundly. If those characters don't have a major role in the game, then its very possible that Sakurai, or whoever the future director of Smash is, will view the series as "complete" kind of like how the Kirby series (and Mario series to an extent). When the DK series was kind of in limbo, it'd make more sense to add in someone like Dixie, since the series isn't defined in the present generation, so its Smash representation could be based on what it was like in the past.

Still, that doesn't mean that the characters can't be in. i just feel like it hurts them though.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
"You young'uns and your fad characters. What smash really needs, but truly doesn't deserve, is a real Video Game Hero, such as myself."

-Cranky Kong
Hm... he could be a good Mr. Resetti replacement, only twice as long and with lots of 4th Wall Breaking.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
mmm...looks like a lot of people did not like the 3d idea...

It COULD work though everyone talking about drastic change in play style is completely right. Though Different does not equal bad. I would Imagen that you would walk around in the stage and Z target (Or L target or *Insert button here* ever target) your opponent and them use your attacks on them accordingly.

Power shielding
Air dodging
and other advance techs. can still exist though.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
mmm...looks like a lot of people did not like the 3d idea...

It COULD work though everyone talking about drastic change in play style is completely right. Though Different does not equal bad. I would Imagen that you would walk around in the stage and Z target (Or L target or *Insert button here* ever target) your opponent and them use your attacks on them accordingly.

Power shielding
Air dodging
and other advance techs. can still exist though.
Ohhh. THAT kind of 3-D. I thought you guys meant normal Smash with the 3-D effect of popping out.

In theory, such a drastic change would be okay, but then it may alienate the fans of the series. Also, I imagine it'd have a feel similar to Dissidia: Final Fantasy. The way I see it, we ought to think of the old saying, "if it's not broke, don't fix it". That's just me though. XD

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Ohhh. THAT kind of 3-D. I thought you guys meant normal Smash with the 3-D effect of popping out.

In theory, such a drastic change would be okay, but then it may alienate the fans of the series. Also, I imagine it'd have a feel similar to Dissidia: Final Fantasy. The way I see it, we ought to think of the old saying, "if it's not broke, don't fix it". That's just me though. XD
Hmm...a 3D-gameplay Smash might be an interesting idea, based on gameplay videos I saw for Dissidia: Final Fantasy. But I'd probably only prefer such a game as a Smash Bros. spinoff, not as a main entry into the series. :)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Hmm...a 3D-gameplay Smash might be an interesting idea, based on gameplay videos I saw for Dissidia: Final Fantasy. But I'd probably only prefer such a game as a Smash Bros. spinoff, not as a main entry into the series. :)
Huh, with all the spinoffs Nintendo has made for their franchises, you'd think they'd do the same for Smash Bros.. Though given the time and effort to even make a Smash game, I can see why they wouldn't. XD

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
3D Smash probably won't ever happen, but I can think of a certain company with a history for both crossovers and 3D platformer/fighters that might provide a more appropriate alternative.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
3D Smash probably won't ever happen, but I can think of a certain company with a history for both crossovers and 3D platformer/fighters that might provide a more appropriate alternative.
Ahaha! I can so see it now:

"Nintendo X Capcom"! XD

When I think about it, it sounds really awesome: Mario vs. Ryu, Ganondorf vs. Albert Wesker, and Link vs. Captain Commando. It could be for an epic idea. X3

Of course, this is just digressing from the main topic. >_>

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Not technically....this is about the next smash installment, and a game featuring the smash cast is applicable to a a smash sequel topic...maybe....

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Not technically....this is about the next smash installment, and a game featuring the smash cast is applicable to a a smash sequel topic...maybe....
Huh. True enough. I guess it could be along the lines of say "Super Smash Fighter"? Nah, that's just tacky. I suppose "Capcom Ultimate Fighter X Smash Bros." (Japanese title) may work... right?

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
How about "battle royal: entertainment all stars"? (Marvel v. Capcom v. which ever company owns solid snake v. saga v. Nintendo) Maybe that would be too many characters though :(.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
How about "battle royal: entertainment all stars"? (Marvel v. Capcom v. which ever company owns solid snake v. saga v. Nintendo) Maybe that would be too many characters though :(.
Yeah, that'd be pushing the Wii disk to its ultimate limits. It would've been possible on a PS3 disk, I guess. That said, I'd scratch out Marvel from the list, since it's originally comic book-based than video games. Also, the company that owns the rights to Snake is Konami and - by extension - Hideo Kojima. :3

UberMario

Smash Master
lol @ pushing the Wii discs to their limits. IIRC I heard that the Brawl game isn't even 75% full. Take out the ridiculous amount of trophies, stickers, cutscenes, and demos and it wouldn't be a problem.
I think that Capcom-vs.-Nintendo-vs.-Sega-vs.-Konami-vs.-Namco would be interesting [I think Marvel characters should stay in Marvel vs. Capcom, but that is just me], maybe not practical, but interesting.

inb4mugen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom