• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Are you sure that Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Peach would be a good idea compared to characters from the other series? It seems like that's alot if the roster's possibilities are:

Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo
Fox
Ness
Link, Ganondorf
DK
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Samus
Kirby, DeDeDe
Mario, Luigi, Bowser
Pit (because of Uprising)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hey...um...I'm kind of lazy, and am not one for reading everything with all that much diligence, buut...are you guys talking about a pottential Smash on the 3DS being a retouched 64? And that the only characters they would add would just be Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede because they were planned for the original 64? Because if I'm getting that right, that's a pretty dumb conclusion to jump to.

Also, I'm quite baffled that people actually want K.Rool to return in DKR, but whatever.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Does that mean you'll take the K. Rool bet with me?

Come on, one of you guys has to want in, I even got one of those gambling monkey pictures for when the chips are down.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
are you guys talking about a pottential Smash on the 3DS being a retouched 64?
Yes

And that the only characters they would add would just be Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede because they were planned for the original 64? Because if I'm getting that right, that's a pretty dumb conclusion to jump to.
No, we're saying that they would probably add those atleast because they were meant to be in the original. Nobody said we couldn't have others, we just said these were the (almost) definites.

What's the bet again?
Wii Points of an undecided quantity to whoever is right.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That those three are likely because they were scrapped in development.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Still, a remake should remain remake. IMO, if a fighting game gates remade, I would say it makes more sense to just rebalance the game and up the graphics for the most part. Anything else and you might as well make a new game.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
wouldn't you all rather have just the engine for the original game reused? all else can be brand new! (sans moveset of that generation; if it is a rehash of the original engine, then i don't need any smash attacks introduced in melee)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@Toise: What bet is this?

@RyuuS: Eh, I don't quite think that their planned inclusion for Smash 64 automatically qualifies them as the most obvious choices for a remake now. Remember, that was over 10 years ago. While I could certainly see Bowser and Dedede make it in on their own merits, their planned use in the original wouldn't mean anything now. Heck, it didn't mean all that much back then, since while Dedede was planned for 64, he didn't show up in Melee.

And the idea that it is in fact a remake also makes it spotty. A remake, by default, should only have its original characters. Why not just say that you want a original Smash game on the 3DS instead of trying to tie it in so much with the original?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yes, a new game would be good but I expect them to do some kind of crap remake that doesn't work the same and pisses off fans like they did with Diddy Kong Racing. That's all I'm saying. SSB3DS could have a lot of potential but give them half a chance and it'll be a remake instead.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Why are you looking at one negative example instead of one of the several positive ones?

....And if you feel so negatively about it in the first place, then why assume that they'll add new things like that?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Nope, you've lost me in a strange and convaluted web of my own logical failure.

I expect them to port SSB64 because N64 game porting is the currnt Nintendo fad. I expect them to add stuff because they can, not because they should. I expect thm to screw it up because that's what happens when you change classics.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nope, you've lost me in a strange and convaluted web of my own logical failure.

I expect them to port SSB64 because N64 game porting is the currnt Nintendo fad. I expect them to add stuff because they can, not because they should. I expect thm to screw it up because that's what happens when you change classics.
What fad? 3DS remakes of OoT and Starfox 64 does not make it a fad.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
What's the bet again?
@Toise: What bet is this?
Was from a couple pages back:

Somewhat off-topic, who wants to make an actual money wager via Nintendo points on whether or not K. Rool shows up in DKCR? Surely one of you has $5-10 in gumption?
Didn't get any takers and that made me sad.

I'm reminded of how a lot of internet people saw the 3DS and could only think "you know what old game they should port on this?"

Pieman0920

Smash Master
For the DS, there was Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing....and what else?

And what exactly are you saying the messed up already?

@Toise: Ehhhh, I don't like betting money. I'd say K.Rool won't show up, but my personal bias may be effecting that. Still, I'd assume its pretty safe.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'd say K. Rool will be in DKCR. He was in DK64 after all. Plus, he is to Donkey Kong as Bowser is to Mario, Ganondorf to Link, Ridley/Samus, etc. etc.. :3

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
I'd say K. Rool will be in DKCR. He was in DK64 after all. Plus, he is to Donkey Kong as Bowser is to Mario, Ganondorf to Link, Ridley/Samus, etc. etc.. :3
then by that logic, he won't be in dkcr... (wart, vaati, ... erm... metroid prime hunters?)
my point is that he is due to not appear in one.

this means that I rule in favor of... King K. Rool NOT apearing in Donkey Kong Country Returns./cheers/.. court is adjourned.
unfortunately, i can't pony up a bet. (i also don't has a wii.)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
One thing I've suspected since that interview is that Retro is going to pull a Twilight Princess on us.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
then by that logic, he won't be in dkcr... (wart, vaati, ... erm... metroid prime hunters?)
my point is that he is due to not appear in one.

this means that I rule in favor of... King K. Rool NOT apearing in Donkey Kong Country Returns./cheers/.. court is adjourned.
unfortunately, i can't pony up a bet. (i also don't has a wii.)
Technically speaking, King K. Rool never appeared in DKC2 and 3. It was Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein respectively. XD

One can argue it's the same guy under a different persona, but you have to admit I've got a point.

In terms of sub-games, K. Rool was absent from both versions on Diddy Kong Racing, having Wizpig as the main antagonist. They ought to use him more: I've always liked Wizpig. If we're lucky, he'll be the main antagonist of DKCR, though unlikely. ^ω^

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So about this bet, are you guys gonna reveal the outcome as soon as you get confirmation (i.e. you get the game early or you find out on a forum), or are you going to choose a specific day instead?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So about this bet, are you guys gonna reveal the outcome as soon as you get confirmation (i.e. you get the game early or you find out on a forum), or are you going to choose a specific day instead?
I imagine it'd be as soon as confirmation is stated. There'd be little point in waiting any longer than than that. Who knows? Not like I'm the one who proposed the bet. XD

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It's not that I'm not man enough to gamble, I have a conviction against it.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So assuming someone or some people wins the bet as to whether or not King K. Rool will appear, who does the loser give Wii Points to? As it looks, it's obvious multiple people are bound to win a bet. If the loser(s) has to give points to all winners, then they may as well put a stick of dynamite in their wallets. XD

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Considering I'm not getting any takers, it's kind of a non-issue, but...

Yes, if ten of you guys each bet $10 on K. Rool not showing up and he's MIA, I'm out $100. That's how gambling works and I've spent worse money. If he's there, those ten guys owe me $10 worth of stuff each.

Anyone betting in favor of K. Rool is on their own because this isn't a pool. Unless they want it to be, but what are the odds of that? You guys aren't even willing to give up an Abe over this, let alone double digits.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Nope, as odd as it is, all of my friends whom I'm close enough for this to be weird with, all use wired connections for their Xboxs (none even have a wii period.)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Considering I'm not getting any takers, it's kind of a non-issue, but...

Yes, if ten of you guys each bet $10 on K. Rool not showing up and he's MIA, I'm out $100. That's how gambling works and I've spent worse money. If he's there, those ten guys owe me $10 worth of stuff each.

Anyone betting in favor of K. Rool is on their own because this isn't a pool. Unless they want it to be, but what are the odds of that? You guys aren't even willing to give up an Abe over this, let alone double digits.
Ouch. I, myself, am in favor of K. Rool being in DKCR, but seeing as I live paycheck-to-paycheck, I couldn't gamble what could potentially be half of my month's pay away. XD

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Ryuu: I was actually curious to see if Wii gifts are region blocked, Wikipedia says they are. So no dice unless you wanna go retail.

I wanna change the subject to something away from everyone's inability to e-gamble towards... I don't know, Kyle Hyde or something.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How about Professor Layton working in Super Smash Bros. What would his playstyle be like? Rushdown? Ambigious mix-ups (my favorite!)? Defensive? Grappler?(Yeah right)

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
You're speaking in tongues to me, son.

But I'd imagine that since he only fights people in self-defense, he'd probably be sorta defensive. Thematically his moves would be about improvising, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom