• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Yea that wouldn't work at all...

That would require the time and effort to make independent movesets, which could be used to make new characters.

Maverick-Pro

Smash Apprentice
Wait, there really IS going to be a fourth installment to the Super Smash Bros. series?

And if there is, I would hope for a brand new story mode, 4-8 player online battles (even though that would be crazy), give DLC, HAVE Miis PLAYABLE IN GAME SO PEOPLE WON'T CONSIDER THEM USELESS, more third-party characters: like Capcom (Megaman' Viewtful Joe, and Ryu), Crash Bandicoot/Spyro, Rare (Conker and Banjo-Kazooie), Namco (Pacman and Klonoa) and Cartoon characters.
I would also like them to make more options for customing stages as it seems people are limited to what they create. You should also be able to download songs for menus and such.

A final request I would like from HAL Laborstory is to FIX the bug in Brawl that the scoring system sometimes cannot tell the difference between a SD (self-destruct) and a K.O. For example, sometimes, say if I hit the opponent lightly, and he/she stays on stage, then the opponent runs off-stage and kills him/herself. The game would count that as a K.O.! That's so annoying!

Those are most of the things that would make Super Smash Bros. Perfect for me.

Also, whatever happaned to the "RACE TO THE FINISH" Classic Mode game?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
There's no confirmation, but its something that will almost certainly happen in the future.

And a big fat no to cartoon characters...and pretty much 90% of those third party characters. Mega Man is the only one that's really acceptabe, and Rare has zero chance, given how they are owned by Microsoft.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Speaking of Race to the Finish, whatever happened to the scoring system that the first two games had? I loved some of the names that had for some of them like NOR4U, Switzerland, Coward, Etc.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Yea they were always fun to look for. I hope they bring them back. Probably a time related thing >.>

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh yeah, I really liked those bonuses given to you at the end of the match. I never got the Diskun trophy in Melee...

For SSB4, I would love to see the following come back:

- bonuses (and Bonus Matches)
- Race to the Finish
- Board the Platforms

And for the new stuff, I think the Sticker Mode could be good... it could be something like Special Brawl, only you use stickers on your characters. I don't really want it to be part of the regular VS. mode so I think a separate mode would be good for this one. I really think stickers were useless in Brawl and I didn't use them at all - I guess I didn't find any good reason to use them in the Adventure Mode.

I also would like the Classic Mode to be more diverse than what the original and Brawl had. Melee's was a bit more diverse in my opinion. I would like the matches to be more random as opposed to knowing that the third match will always be 3 vs 1 Giant and that the sixth match will always be 2 vs 2 and so on (for example). I also think that you should be able to face random Adventure Mode bosses as mini-bosses in the middle of Classic Mode. That would make the mode more interesting.

Oh, and no cartoon characters!!! It was bad enough that we have non-Nintendo characters in Brawl, but I don't want non-video game characters in SSB4! Smash is supposed to be specifically about Nintendo characters battling each other, not general video game characters battling each other or even general fictional characters battling each other. This is Smash, not Mugen.

Siobud

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSiobud
3DS FC
4570-8483-8206
I would like to see a feature where you could import your own songs into the game via sd card! I'd love to have 2minuets to midnight while on final destination of i'm on a boat while on pirate ship. You could be able to assign the stage it plays on, if it loops when over, and how likly it will appear. Also you can chose wheather your songs or the games songs appear before you battle. Know i know you can technically do this in brawl by jacking you mp3 player into the audio spot on you tv but it just isn't the same as having them always in the game!

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I really hope that doesn't happen. If there's a custom soundtrack, I can't help but think that there won't be as much selection as there is in Brawl, due to the fact that people could just put in their own music. Thus the developers won't spend as much time on it, and we'll have less awesome remixes. =/

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, we already have a large array of music from Brawl to begin with. Anyway, I see no problem with it. Nintendo still needs to provide a soundtrack to the game so it would be just fine. Not only that, but it would allow you to put in music that wouldn't normally be in the game such as:

The Pokemon Theme Song
The Meaning of Truth (F-Zero)
Blinded By the Light (FF 13 unless Sakurai and co say otherwise)

and so many more.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
How does Brawl not having its soundtrack released jusitfy that? I suppose it may be a bit much to ask for even more after all Brawl did, but there would almost certainly be a dramatic fall in the amount and/or rehashing of old music, which wouldn't be good at all. Given how people will likely hack the game anyways, it'd be better off getting a lot of new remixes than getting only a few.

Plus, The Meaning of Truth is a pretty meh song.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Speaking of Race to the Finish, whatever happened to the scoring system that the first two games had? I loved some of the names that had for some of them like NOR4U, Switzerland, Coward, Etc.
Lewl, what was the Switzerland score about? O.o
(I played the french version and it's not there lol)

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well Custom soundtrack wouldn't be all that nessecary. I turn music off in options and turn on my ipod if I ant a custom soundtrack. Meh. I coudl care less either way.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I've already been through this, but I cannot see how you can balance a game where there are four players, items on, and stage hazards. The four players part is what, to me, makes it insanely hard to balance if it's even possible. This is because three of those four players can gang up on another or something else entirely. Then there's the possibility that you may have only two characters in a match so now we have to balance these characters for a completely different situation. Basically, there's too much going on to get a reasonable assessment on how balanced a character is.
Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it can't be done. You have to look at what makes 4vs and see what a characters would need to survive in it. This will usually mean making sure the characters unique strengths don't have them dominating or their unique traits don't hold them back (like Yoshi's lack of a recovery). It looks at how the character plays and making that work. The other way is make sure the character can KO. The better a character can KO, the better they are. So, take Ike. He is strong because he can easily Ko others. But he is also very slow and his swings take a long time to connect.This gives other plays time to get out of the way. Of course, Ike has to get smart. He can wait on the sidelines for someone to get hit into his attacks. So, he is balanced and has a way to win. Meta-Knight is very fast. He can easily suppress other players. How do you stop him? First, he's no KO machine. How are you going to beat people? Spam Down Smash? That won't win you a match. He's also lite, which makes him risky. Do you have to use your blinding speed and high damage output to win.

Items factor in in that they give every character a chance to win. Some characters will need them more then others, so get and keeping them away is a big strategy in Brawl. They also factor in in how characters swing weapons and how much they help certain characters.

Match-ups don't matter in 4vs. It's really the skill with the character you chose.

Also, if you want nerfs, explain then why characters like Sheik, Fox, Marth, Samus, and such were nerfed especially when Fox's trophy description mentions that his fuerza is one on one fights. At the same time, some characters that were lower tiered got buffs. Gee, I wonder if the tier list had something to do with it.
The tier list is inconsistent is a lot of ways. Link got nerfed for instance. The tier list can not explain that. And Falco and Marth are still on top. Characters like Ness and Yoshi are still on the bottom. Ganondorf is bottom despite people say he is good in teams and Zelda is bottom as well despite being great in 4vs. Sheik was still good and more people saw Samus as flat out broken. They were good characters. I'd actually argue and say Marth got buffed in this game. He's more of a threat in Brawl then Melee, but this may be due to his Final Smash and the improved aerial game.

Fox was the only one nerfed for being top tier. Naturally, when you're the best, people notice.

Unless other forums don't count, I tend to see general complaints regarding Brawl and not just at SRK (no surprise there), but also at IGN and Gamespot.
I've only heard it from competitive players, who also go on IGN and Gamespot. Most people outside that ring believe it is balance and hate tiers.

JOE!

Smash Hero
So, they hate tiers, yet agree that marth is a huge threat?

That AUTOMATICALLY means, FROM THEM, that Marth is a higher TIER than most of the other characters, thus contradicting their hatred (aka disbelief I am assuming) of tiers.

/lol

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
sorry kuma, but that could apply to pacifier if your opponent has attacked you but you still didn't attack. in this case, Switzerland means you did not take part in the match (which still means you were not attacked and you did not attack... i am not sure but i think you don't get switzerland if you use your Up B in the f-zero adventure mode running scene and get pacifier if you don't use up B but get attacked by the racers)

(joe, what's a REXXOR?)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
There's a new Galaxy 2 trailer out, and it seems there actually is a hub world that's actually a spaceship shaped like Mario's head. If you've seen the trailer, I think you'd have to agree with me that it looks like a almost perfect Smash 4 stage. :psycho:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Speaking of trailers, theres a gameplay trailer for Other M

Here.

She had better both look like this and play like this in SSB4.

Pieman0920

Smash Master

Here.

Hah, she's so speedy in Other M when compared to how she moves in the Smash series. Its really strange honestly. I wonder if they would really allow her to go that fast, especially with ZSS around. Also I wonder if they'd ever let her use her blaster like that, seeing how limited it is in Smash compared to her regular games.

Don't think there would be any problem at all with the grapple moves though.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
do you think that the idea i had before could implement this?
rapid fire for B like in other M or Charge Beam like she has in smash as selectable movesets (along with other changes that tie in).

you know what? moveset selection can really help out with megaman's vast array of abilities, an easy way to not think of megaman as a samus/kirby character is to have him playable without thinking about copying...
he copied the robot masters' (or mavericks... just saying, yeesh) abilities before he enteres the fray. that could make the thought of how he copies the combatants null and void since he already copied them

(go ahead... flame it. in a barbecue, it'll sizzle like a victory steak)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hah, she's so speedy in Other M when compared to how she moves in the Smash series. Its really strange honestly. I wonder if they would really allow her to go that fast, especially with ZSS around. Also I wonder if they'd ever let her use her blaster like that, seeing how limited it is in Smash compared to her regular games.

Don't think there would be any problem at all with the grapple moves though.
I think they would let her be that fast. Overall, Samus is supposed to be a lot stronger and faster so I don't know where Sakurai got the idea that she's so slow in her suit.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
There's a new Galaxy 2 trailer out, and it seems there actually is a hub world that's actually a spaceship shaped like Mario's head. If you've seen the trailer, I think you'd have to agree with me that it looks like a almost perfect Smash 4 stage. :psycho:
I can picture it, you are fighting on the Mario head while zipping through various galaxies from 1&2 ala Lylat Cruise. Not to mention various beautiful tracks from both games!

Here.

I agree one hundred percent, forget Gannondorf, Samus should have her moveset tweaked to incorporate more of the change in her fighting.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I'm not a fan of Galaxy.

If you prefer, you can just take "more" out of my previous post.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Probably for the same reason that other characters like Mewtwo and Ike are slow.

Also I approve the use of the term "victory steak."
Why do you think that is?

Also, Mewtwo had a really bad combination of attributes. It's like a bad Dhalsim without the zoning aspects.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Why do you think that is?

Also, Mewtwo had a really bad combination of attributes. It's like a bad Dhalsim without the zoning aspects.
Mewtwo is weighed down due to his immense psychic power, Ike is weighed down due to his heavy sword. Samus is weighed down due to her armor. :p

Poor Mewtwo, now I feel bad. :(

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
But Mewtwo was a light and slow character which didn't make any sense at all. I could give you those other two though, but only in regards to their weight.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Actually due to development time, there was no Galaxy content if I recall. That even applies to stickers and trophies. Still EP, it shouldn't bother you that much, since most people are only suggesting one stage, and most likely music would be confined to that one stage as well. Plus.....how can you not like Galaxy? That game was awesome.

JOE!

Smash Hero
But Mewtwo was a light and slow character which didn't make any sense at all. I could give you those other two though, but only in regards to their weight.
Honestly, mewtwo was a horrible interpretation of how a character would act, even moreso than Ganondorf.

Melee mewtwo was slow, lightweight...when based on hsi stats he should be VERY fast and weigh more than Charizard does in Brawl...

He is the most powerful PSYCHIC pokemon, but his specials Sucked (Leer? Confusion?! SHADOW BALL ISNT EVEN A PSYCHIC MOVE) and he used his body to attack, not his mind (lol, i could blow your mind to bits with a thought, but ya know, hitting you with my tail is better) Not to mention his low power..

Seriously, Mewtwo is just so OoC in melee it's not even funny

Pieman0920

Smash Master
His light weight is attributed to his psychic abilities that you were complaining were not displayed. Honestly, while Shadow Ball isn't psychic, and neither is Disable (to my surprise) his other two specials were psychic moves, and there really shouldn't be any complaining that his psychic abilities were underplayed. Also while he did have to fight physically, he did so with the aid of psychic powers, and quite frankly with Smash you have to fight physically anyways. While his moveset could potentially be improved so that he isn't dead last in the tiers, it does represent the character well enough in regards to portraying him as a telekenisis user.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Actually due to development time, there was no Galaxy content if I recall. That even applies to stickers and trophies. Still EP, it shouldn't bother you that much, since most people are only suggesting one stage, and most likely music would be confined to that one stage as well. Plus.....how can you not like Galaxy? That game was awesome.
I'd rather not cause a flame war with anyone less tolerant than this, but frankly I didn't find anything in Galaxy enojyable...at all. Sunshine was the last console game I played tha gave me enoyment. (Note that I have not played New Super Mario Bros. Wii)

Thrice

Smash Cadet
Well, gotta make the first post somewhere.

UberMario, what do you mean by "option"? As in an in-game feature that you can turn on/off? Or more like a sound-upload thing in general?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'd rather not cause a flame war with anyone less tolerant than this, but frankly I didn't find anything in Galaxy enojyable...at all. Sunshine was the last console game I played tha gave me enoyment. (Note that I have not played New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
:O

I played Sunshine, THAT game bored me to no end. We are all entitled to our own opinion.

[off topic]

So we all get to be moderators for April Fools? Neat, I will enjoy it while it lasts...

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I'm not a moderator. ('_' )

EDIT: Oh wait, I am....wait, it says I'm a Smash Champion up there. Oh well, I guess my super moderator powers just kicked in now.

Also EP, while everyone cane have their own opinions, sometimes opinions can be wrong. :embarrass

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
For SSB4, I'm thinking 1-2 more sonic characters, pit might get cut, and maybe KH. (Sora or Roxas) <_< Don't know if they're smash material though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom