• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Scoobs: Negatory. Shouldn't intentionally drop characters unless they're duds like Doc and Pichu. Sakurai seems to agree with that given his intentions to keep Mewtwo and Roy while still adding Lucario, PT, and Ike. "Make new friends, but keep the old" or something, blah blah I'm hungry.

edit for Never: think the Legends version was his favorite, but I wager he'd stick with the original since that's easily the most popular.

Do you think there should be a cap on the number of poke? (I find it hard to keep Jiggly on my roster while keeping the number under 8-10 [counting the 6 that come with the trainers])

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I wouldn't have two trainers to begin with (unless alt costumes are involved), although there's no definite cap. Keep in mind you'd be adding THREE extra characters, you'd need some very good reasons to justify that.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Quote tower. This is also really ironic considering the only Poke games I really play now are the Mystery Dungeon ones.

1. Honestly not sure why you're putting so much stock into her appearing in all three games, you aren't really explaining why, just saying it.
I've already explained it: Veterans that have hardly made there mark in smash DID Get backlash - Now, what makes you think Jigglypuff wouldn't? Smash is about fan appeal here. It's not about taking a character, placing it in three games, then throwing it out with no proof that It's REALLY Downgraded in It's popularity.

2. Then you'd truly be naive. Considering what I said, what makes you so confident? (And remove Lucario, there's more popular choices =P)
Her smash appearance in Brawl, that's at least a start for sure.

3. Not much different, actually. And why did you bring up Jiggs being an icon in the first place if it isn't exclusive to her, acting as if that's something that helps?
Because she just isn't important in the actual games (which, poke goes more by popularity) And they are different. One is moreso on Popularity, the other has It's core characters to It's plotline that happen to be It's most popular ones.

5. You're saying that Jiggs entry in Brawl is due to the Pokemon Co. thinking she's iconic, then point to them not explicitly saying so as evidence. She's most likely in because she was in the previous games, not because of what you fabricated.
This point isn't really worth going over much but fact is both of those help and do mean something.

6. You said Jiggs unique moveset is something that aids her, yet Mewtwo was arguably more unique. Even if you see him as awkward, did he share traits with anyone in the roster? Again, there are Pokemon who can be more unique, so her moveset doesn't help her all that much.
It's not that I see him as awkward, It's that reworking him for what they may have wanted could've been a disaster. Every veteran with a unique moveset (Sans Mewtwo) is still in. That still says something (Tho, all of those are argueable to be more important and all over what jiggs has)

7. Removing Mewtwo wasn't a big complaint, now? And I suppose there was some outcry for Roy, but in comparison to Mewtwo, it's rather small, hence me saying removing Mewtwo was a big complaint. Not sure why you brought up VgChartz.
Generally removing characters was an outcry. It is one of the most complaints

They could stay, but should Jiggs stay? Pikachu obviously stays, and Mewtwo is in a situation where I can't conclude either way, but Jiggs doesn't have a lot going for her outside of being a veteran, an old-timer who I think should make way for someone else.
Jiggs is popular and unlike PT, Has been in 3 games of Smash. (Smash Icon and somehow still suprisingly a Pokemon Icon) Mewtwo gets back in moreso because of the outcry on him, Pika stays for sure, PT Gets new pokemon to give the other generations some love like people seem to be wanting, and of course the newest pokemon (If this doesn't happen, throw lucario or something back in here) for advertisement purposes.

Sounds like a fan appealing poke roster to me.

I just hope we don't get another Kirby Super Sub Star Emissary. More warp pipes, item blocks, Metroid doorways, treasure chests, etc. please.
KSSSE...I lol'd.

Also agreed.

Pokemon stuff
Why have two PT's and limit both of them to a certain gen?

Because the first gen is THE gen. That's the iconic one. The first gen Pokemon we've had so far are all very memorable (except maybe Ivysaur since no one cares about the middle guys, but he gets a free pass for being a -saur).

Of course, it's still rather likely that we'll see new Pokemon in the future, but there's no need to "rep the gens" like that.
Sure there's no need to, but how will it hurt the Pokemon representation If It happens to be Pika, Mewtwo, Jiggs, Newest Poke (Or Lucario, in before SmashChu), and Pokemon Trainer getting 2-4th gen pokemon. Infact, It doesn't really hurt the representation but rather brings more variety outside on the table.

1st gen fans get Pika, Mewtwo, Jiggs.
Other gen fans in the middle get at least 1/3rd of a character (considering you're forced to switch quite a bit) with a PT That pleases every generation.
Most recent gen fans get free ads free hats someone so while It's on the topic more, they'll get someone to enjoy.

I believe that's a pretty "Fair" Compromise. I suppose you don't need to represent all generations, but on the contrary, you don't need a bunch of first gen pokemon.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
"Variety" is irrelevant if the characters are loved. You're advocating characters based on whether or not they fit into certain categories rather than whether or not the characters themselves are worthwhile.

People would rather have those three over any other starter trio you could come up with. That's FAR more important than worrying about "repping the gens."

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
*Meanwhile, Sakurai enjoys a martini in a relaxed position.

I think we're looking a bit far into some of these things. What seems to be the definite pick here? Top 5 newcomers hands down.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hmm... isn't adding Pokemon from 2nd-5th gens for the sake of having 2nd-5th gen Pokemon the Pokemon equilavent to the whole "we need more females/villains" thing? If "females/villains" is not a good way to build the whole roster, then "every gen" is not a good way to build the Pokemon roster either.

Sakurai can either keep Red and his 1st gen starters or replace them all with Gold and his 2nd gen starters since they are now topical again thanks to HeartGold/SoulSilver just like how Red was topical again at the time FireRed/LeafGreen came out like Pieman said earlier.

Lucario was a topical advertisement for Diamond/Pearl and the Lucario movie. Sakurai can either keep him or replace with a new topical advertisement for the 5th gen games and the 5th gen movies.

Jigglypuff is not 100% guaranteed to return. She got lucky because she was too easy/quick to animate/program compared to Mewtwo. There is still a possibility that Jigglypuff might return, but it will be because Sakurai needed someone who is easy/quick to animate/program to bolster the final roster before the deadline.

This is how I see it with the Pokemon roster possibilities.
Pikachu
Red or Gold
Lucario or 5th gen Pokemon
Jigglypuff or Mewtwo
??? (Jigglypuff or Mewtwo or Meowth or no 5th slot)

Because really, keeping all the Pokemon from Brawl and just adding Mewtwo only is just uncreative and lazy. :urg: I mean, there are no surprises and it won't generate controversy. The final roster always generate controversy in each game and when I see fan-made rosters that kept all the Pokemon and only added Mewtwo, it is a futile attempt to prevent controversy. The same goes for keeping everybody from Brawl and adding only the most popular of the popular characters.

Edit

I think we're looking a bit far into some of these things. What seems to be the definite pick here? Top 5 newcomers hands down.
In my honest opinion...

1. Little Mac (Nintendo revived and heavily promoted Punch-Out!! so I think SSB4 could make Little Mac one of Nintendo's heavy hitters)
2. Takamaru (Sakurai seemed to be interested with this character and I think he said he would consider adding Takamaru if he had a new game... well, he is playable in Samurai Warriors 3 for the Wii)
3. Starfy (Nintendo heavily promoted his international debut so I think SSB4 could make him one of Nintendo's biggest stars like Nintendo wanted)
4. Toad (using NSMBWii on top of SMB2 to justify adding Toad... and well, NSMBWii is the biggest Mario game of 2009, of course Sakurai have to add a bunch of stuff from NSMBWii and Toad could potentially be used to rep NSMBWii through his moveset like how Peach was used to rep SMB2 through her moveset)
5. Dixie Kong (he considered her before King K. Rool so she might get in as Diddy Kong's team partner or as a stand-alone character)

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
@Toise

Dud how? If by dud you mean how many people plays with Jiggs in Brawl, then she definitely qualifies, I'd say.

@TKK

I may have to agree to disagree here. We aren't really getting anywhere, and I'd like to discuss something else. This is my last post pertaining Jiggs.

I've already explained it: Veterans that have hardly made there mark in smash DID Get backlash - Now, what makes you think Jigglypuff wouldn't? Smash is about fan appeal here. It's not about taking a character, placing it in three games, then throwing it out with no proof that It's REALLY Downgraded in It's popularity.
Frankly, she would. How much backlash is dependent on how popular she is when time SSB4 arrives, which I'm of the opinion that it'll continue to decrease given what I said before, to the point where replacing her is a sensible, viable option.

Because she just isn't important in the actual games (which, poke goes more by popularity) And they are different. One is moreso on Popularity, the other has It's core characters to It's plotline that happen to be It's most popular ones.
They are similar. Outside of the franchises' respective mascots, whoever gets into Smash is up in the air. That's what I'm getting at.

It's not that I see him as awkward, It's that reworking him for what they may have wanted could've been a disaster. Every veteran with a unique moveset (Sans Mewtwo) is still in. That still says something (Tho, all of those are argueable to be more important and all over what jiggs has)
Says something, but nothing terribly significant, in my opinion. Mewtwo is still out, even if he was planned for Brawl. I can't ignore that.

Generally removing characters was an outcry. It is one of the most complaints
I won't bother reiterating myself, since you're not seeing what I'm saying. How ear-piercing was the outcry for Pichu, how blaring were the complaints for Young Link? You rarely hear such things. Mewtwo and Roy (to a lesser extent) are truly the only ones who generated the outcry. Fineto.

Jiggs is popular and unlike PT, Has been in 3 games of Smash. (Smash Icon and somehow still suprisingly a Pokemon Icon) Mewtwo gets back in moreso because of the outcry on him, Pika stays for sure, PT Gets new pokemon to give the other generations some love like people seem to be wanting, and of course the newest pokemon (If this doesn't happen, throw lucario or something back in here) for advertisement purposes.

Sounds like a fan appealing poke roster to me.
Can we stop with the icon talk, please? Ever since the Koopalings thing, I've been seeing it non stop lol. But anyway, I personally wouldn't give PT new pokemon, but alts would suffice, wouldn't you agree? He'd still rep past gens that way.

KSSSE...I lol'd.

Also agreed.
:laugh: Seriously, there's an article on Smash Wiki showing just how ridiculous it is. Definitely not representory of the all-star cast. I may want to talk a bit more on this if folks are interested. How cool would it be if, for an F-Zero stage, you'd actually race for some segments, then hoping out the car to fight a boss on a F-Zero track or something. Good god, the amazing. <3333

@NeverFiniteX

Lil Mac
Sukapon
Megaman
Takamrau
Ridley

My definite picks, hopefully Sakurai sees it the same way.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Here is what I've seen around different forums

The Balloon Fighter (Self Titled)
Black Shadow (F-Zero)
Black Knight (Fire Emblem)
Bomberman (Self Titled)
Boy/Blob (A Boy & His Blob)
Chocobo (Final Fantasy)
Crono (Chronos Trigger)
Claus (Mother/EarthBound)
Custom Robo (Self Titled)
Dark Samus (Metroid)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Geno (Mario)
Issac (Golden Sun)
King K.Rool (Donkey Kong)
Knuckles (Sonic)
Little Mac (Punch Out!)
Megaman (Self Titled)
Mewtwo (Pokemon)
Pac-Man (Self Titled)
Paper Mario (Mario)
Ridley (Metroid)
Rayman (Self Titled)
Roy (Fire Emblem)
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Samurai Goroh (F-Zero)
Shadow (Sonic)
Starfy (The Legend of Starfy)
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejō​)
Toad (Mario)
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)

31 characters Sweet Mother! This is what happens when Snake and Sonic are involved, you get people wanting 75+ characters in their game and this probably isn't the half of what some people desire!

*Super Smash Bros 5 for 2020! Goodbye Competative Scene

(oh and then Super Smash Bros (1) HD, for the 25 year Anniversary)

@Toise
I added in hree characters, but took away/ left out two. Most commonly accepted rosters have Lucario and mewtwo on them. I removed Lucario, kept out Mewtwo and added the new trainer.

While Lucario + Mewtwo might have more popularity. I like to see antagonist/protagonist situations wherever possible, but I suppose having a character and their enemy is illogical wishing, no?

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
@NeverFiniteX

Just to give you a different perspective, MVC2 has 60 characters and MK: Armageddon has 63. With a series like Smash Bros., I think it's kinda silly not to expect the franchise to see those kinds of roster numbers. Mark this post, SSB4 will see 55-60 characters.

Super Smash Bros 5 for 2020! Goodbye Competative Scene
Don't jinx it. :(

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Uhhh... I would lower my expectations if I were you, Scooby.

SSB = 12
12 x 1 = 12

Melee = 25 (26)
12 x 2 = 24 + 1 (+ 2) = 25 (26)

Brawl = 35 (39)
12 x 3 = 36 - 1 (+ 3) = 35 (39)

SSB4 = between 44 and 50
12 x 4 = 48 + 2 (- 4) = between 44 and 50

Based on three games, I think the roster adds at least 12 new characters in each game. I think that is a reasonable approach to estimating how big the final roster could be. At least it is a little more realistic than believing that the roster would double based on one sequel (SSB had 12, Melee had 25, therefore SSB3 will have 50).

Well maybe if they stop focusing on the **** SSE they'll have time to make more characters. 39 with in a short amount of time, if the characters become their main focus, we could see more...though I can't wait to see how well they balance them >.>

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I would love to see Twin Bee as a character. I'd main him.
I love Pop'n TB and Parodius: Non-Sense Fantasy.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
Uhhh... I would lower my expectations if I were you, Scooby.

*Gibberish*

Based on three games, I think the roster adds at least 12 new characters in each game. I think that is a reasonable approach to estimating how big the final roster could be. At least it is a little more realistic than believing that the roster would double based on one sequel (SSB had 12, Melee had 25, therefore SSB3 will have 50).
You should probably heighten your expectations. You're trying to find order in something rather random, which I don't blame you, since we're very good and capable of finding order in chaos and randomness, and what looks like order and trend is often completely consistent with what I've written.

For that reason, I don't believe in trends. We could very well see 16-17 new characters; a hand-full of newcomers, a couple debut franchises, and one or two third party characters. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
"Variety" is irrelevant if the characters are loved. You're advocating characters based on whether or not they fit into certain categories rather than whether or not the characters themselves are worthwhile.

People would rather have those three over any other starter trio you could come up with. That's FAR more important than worrying about "repping the gens."
I do agree that I'm putting too much stock into what categories they fall under, but we have to stretch outside the box for a second here; The other three generations are very popular as well and have some widely loved starters like Blaziken, Mudkip (...Fads), Cyndaquil, Chikorita, Piplup, etc. In the grand scheme of things, people argue Jigglypuff shouldn't be there because she isn't that important to the game itself, while on the contrary, PT Is a far better way to branch out as whatever starters you put, It won't change how important they are or PT's role. If you take PT Out of only having one generation of pokemon, fans of Gold/Silver/Whatever are happy, especially with a remake out soon. Fans of Diamond/Pearl are happy instead of having the possible removal of Lucario. Fans of Ruby/Saphire are happy.

Of course people might also be questioned and the happiness won't be as high in opposition to a complete set of one generation, but some things have a risk on them.

It's just how I view it, not really trying to force it considering I agree with you on having Claus and Pokey with Ness and Lucas, making that more Mother 3 representation even If Pokey is in his EB Mech.

Would I be fine with it? Considering I don't use PT, Whatever. Some other starters to me do appeal as playable. Would it be better than removing Jiggs in favor of branching out the very large series? That we don't know, but in a hypothetical world, If It did happen, It would have more mixed reactions than most other topics. That's for sure.

"So Sakurai, I heard some people wanted other gen pokemon on there pokemon trainer" "Just make PT Have piplup or something." "Why?" "Squirtle is lame." "K"
*Some years later*
"Wait why piplup?"
*50 zillion theories inserted here*

As for the second part; not putting third-parties...

1.Isaac/Golden Sun Protagonist - Has almost everything for a viable character and a bag of chips. You can't really go wrong here, and GS Did get an amazing remix along with an Assist Trophy when it was viewed as "Dead" - Also treated like one of nintendo's bigger franchises. No huge disadvantages.
2.Little Mac - The only thing I can think of against him is what Chronobound posted; aka bad sales for the newest game in japan. Even then, the Assist Trophy has me believing that he was heavily considered as a "Retro Addition" (Feel free to kill me now, toise)
3.Ridley - Highly requested character blah Important blah Metroid is even bigger in nintendo's big franchises now blah. tl;dr version is that his only disadvantage comes from being hard to program.
4.Samurai Goroh - GOROH...PAWNCH. F-Zero has all the things needed to warrant a second character along with having no awkward priority.
5.Newest Pokemon - Feel free to kill me now, SmashChu. As long as there's a fifth gen, there will be this.

...That, and every single topic outside the first four are rather unknown with even the four I listed being so.

Hmm... isn't adding Pokemon from 2nd-5th gens for the sake of having 2nd-5th gen Pokemon the Pokemon equilavent to the whole "we need more females/villains" thing? If "females/villains" is not a good way to build the whole roster, then "every gen" is not a good way to build the Pokemon roster either.
Not quite. It's more so that they're popular enough to have more representation outside of Pokemon, and the fact that Pokemon Trainer putting himself into only one generation instead of three is a bit odd with all these remakes and whatnot right around the corner.

Because really, keeping all the Pokemon from Brawl and just adding Mewtwo only is just uncreative and lazy. :urg: I mean, there are no surprises and it won't generate controversy. The final roster always generate controversy in each game and when I see fan-made rosters that kept all the Pokemon and only added Mewtwo, it is a futile attempt to prevent controversy. The same goes for keeping everybody from Brawl and adding only the most popular of the popular characters.
Uncreative and Lazy vs Tons of fan complaints and mixed opinions.

Pick your poison.

Lots of jiggs stuff
Point is that outside of Pika and PT representing whatever, It's all 2-4 Wide open slots out there for the many pokemon. Jiggs for sure stands out and Sakurai knows that removing characters will at least get some backlash, so If Jiggs is still popular around the time of Smash 4, She's fine.

It really depends on the future, which we have no regard over, but from the knowledge we have we do know that jiggs is still very popular both in and out of smash.

:laugh: Seriously, there's an article on Smash Wiki showing just how ridiculous it is. Definitely not representory of the all-star cast. I may want to talk a bit more on this if folks are interested. How cool would it be if, for an F-Zero stage, you'd actually race for some segments, then hoping out the car to fight a boss on a F-Zero track or something. Good god, the amazing. <3333
Oh god, that article was amazing. As for the F-Zero idea, I'm very much for that. If people want something not as canon-ish but still nintendo related, there's probably some way to think up that. Like why not have Wolf team up with Claus? Or Wario team up with Pokey? Just random ideas thrown out.

Well maybe if they stop focusing on the **** SSE they'll have time to make more characters. 39 with in a short amount of time, if the characters become their main focus, we could see more...though I can't wait to see how well they balance them >.>
Kirby Super Star Subspace Emissary*

Fixed.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Toise

Dud how? If by dud you mean how many people plays with Jiggs in Brawl, then she definitely qualifies, I'd say.
No, Jiggs isn't a dud. Not even close. She's still among the most popular Pokemon after all this time and more than enough people play as her. Even her character boards here have more activity than Bowser and DK, so it's not just little girls who don't post on message boards.

A dud is a character that no one really asked for and doesn't take off. No one asked for Doc and Pichu and no one really misses them. Compare that to someone like Roy or Pit, who few people knew about (or zero people in Roy's case) but still ended up being really popular.

Now that's not to say she's a lock for the next game (I wouldn't consider anyone other than Pikachu and PT to be guaranteed when there's time restrictions afoot), but she's clearly not as low priority as you want her to be. The fact that he had Mewtwo sit out instead of her should've made that obvious.

Keep in mind that I believe Sakurai doesn't see Pokemon or FE as "cyclical," as a series where characters deliberately replace each other with each installment. Unless there's a dud like Pichu, it appears he won't be dropping anyone intentionally. He wanted Mewtwo and Roy in Brawl alongside everyone else after all.

Speaking of those two, we don't know if they're gone for good because we've never cut characters before. We've got nothing to go by. The closest thing to that is the plans for Mewtwo in 64 leading to his inclusion in Melee despite not being part of the most recent gen (as all the other non-face-of-the-series Pokemon have been: Jiggs, Pichu, Lucario).

For that reason, I don't believe in trends. We could very well see 16-17 new characters; a hand-full of newcomers, a couple debut franchises, and one or two third party characters. It's not out of the realm of possibility.
Out of fairness, we DID see 17 newcomers in Brawl. Of course it's the net gain that matters here (which is just 13), but anyway...

@Toise
I added in hree characters, but took away/ left out two. Most commonly accepted rosters have Lucario and mewtwo on them. I removed Lucario, kept out Mewtwo and added the new trainer.

While Lucario + Mewtwo might have more popularity. I like to see antagonist/protagonist situations wherever possible, but I suppose having a character and their enemy is illogical wishing, no?
The funny thing is most people see Mewtwo as a great antagonist for the series (even compared to rivals and Team ____) and Lucario makes for a great foil. But even that pales to the fact that those two are more popular than any trainer combo you can think of.

Remember that people care about the Pokemon themselves more than the humans; having Blue or Gold or Leaf isn't a problem IF the Pokemon they come with are great, but nothing beats what we have already. Now you can still have other trainers through an alt costume type deal without changing which Pokemon are used (in which case I'd recommend Leaf on account of being the playable counterpart to Red in the games). Just don't mess around with the Pokemon.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I hate double posting but I'd rather keep this separate from my other post.

gen stuff
You're missing the key element here. You can't top this:

The generation they hail from is completely irrelevant, only the fact that these three are the ones people want to see more than anything else. And now I have to bold something for everyone.

If you see the roster as "Gen 1, Gen 1, Gen 1, Gen 1, Gen 1, Gen 4," then there's something wrong with you. Same as if you're seeing "Sword, Sword, Sword" or "Male, Male, Female, Male" or "Hero, Rival, Villain." People don't want categories, they want characters.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
Oh god, that article was amazing. As for the F-Zero idea, I'm very much for that. If people want something not as canon-ish but still nintendo related, there's probably some way to think up that. Like why not have Wolf team up with Claus? Or Wario team up with Pokey? Just random ideas thrown out.
I agree. Here's a thought, keep Sakurai's filthy Kirby bull*** miles away from SSB4 Adventure Mode (lol) and let some Nintendo EAD folks handle it. They're creativity is masterful; look at DK Jungle Beat and picture a colorful Nintedo all-star adventure filled with magic, fairies, and i-ma-gin-a-tion!

Also want something like this in adventure mode, where you talk to NPCs (Characters who likely won't be playable, like Amy, E.Gadd, etc) to obtain quests, either to find some item, locate someone to rescue or fight (secret bosses anyone?), and other stuff.

Jiggs stuff
It's not that I want her to be low priority, I honestly see her as such. Truth be told, I wouldn't even call her low priority, but she deifintely isn't what she used to be. Alas, I do see what you're saying on both Jiggs and Mewtwo's situation.

Out of fairness, we DID see 17 newcomers in Brawl. Of course it's the net gain that matters here (which is just 13), but anyway...
Actually meant to say 15-16 newcomers, a couple debutants, and one or two third party characters. =P

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
Also want something like this in adventure mode, where you talk to NPCs (Characters who likely won't be playable, like Amy, E.Gadd, etc) to obtain quests, either to find some item, locate someone to rescue or fight (secret bosses anyone?), and other stuff.

That would be awesome, IMO. Who do you think would be the bosses in SSB4, though?

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Nintendo EAD are the best. Pikmin 3 will be amazing.

Who else would like it if there were two discs? One for single-player one for multiplayer like that new Halo.
That would mean, HAL could do the multiplayer and EAD could do the single player.

n88

Smash Lord
@Neo

Bosses are a little hard to predict. there doesn't seem to be much of a basis for deciding them, it's just "And then they saw [Insert random, really big character here]" Although for the record, I would love to see King Boo.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
@Neo Exdeath

God**** this took awhile. Here's a list of bosses, mini-bosses, and secret/hidden bosses I made. Not all of them are possibly candidates, but I believe quite a few are. I didn't account bosses from franchises who aren't in Smash Bros., yet.

Code:
[B]-Mario-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Bowser
         Giga Bowser
         King Boo
         Petey Piranha 
         Fracktail
         Mario-themed Smash Boss

[B]Mini-Boss[/B] - Koopalings

[B]-Legend of Zelda-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Ganondorf
         Ganon (OoT Version)

[B]Mini-Boss[/B] - Phantom Ganon
                     Skull Kid
                     Vaati

[B]Hidden Boss[/B] - Zant

[B]-Donkey Kong-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - DK-themed Smash Boss

[B]Mini-Boss[/B] - King K. Rool

[B]Hidden Boss[/B] - Ghastly King

[B]-Metroid-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Omega Ridley
         Dark Samus

[B]Mini-Boss[/B] - Kraid

[B]-Pokemon-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Pokemon-themed Smash Boss

[B]Hidden Boss[/B] - Giovanni (w/ Armored Mewtwo)

[B]-WarioWare-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Captain Syrup
         WarioWare-themed Smash Boss

[B]-Yoshi Island-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Kamek
         Yoshi-themed Smash Boss

[B]-Fire Emblem-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - FE-themed Smash Boss

[B]Hidden Boss[/B] - Black Knight

[B]-Kirby-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Nightmare

[B]Mini-Boss[/B] - Dyna Blade

[B]Hidden Boss[/B] - Zero 

[B]-Star Fox-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Star Fox-themed Smash Boss

[B]-Mother/Eartbound-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Pokey

[B]Mini-Boss[/B] - Claus

[B]Hidden Boss[/B] - Giygas
[B]-F-Zero-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - F-Zero-themed Smash Boss 

[B]Mini-Boss[/B] F-Zero-themed Smash Boss (Race)

[B]-Kid Icarus-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Kid Icarus-themed Smash Boss

[B]Mini-Boss[/B] - Eggplant Wizard 

[B]Hidden Boss[/B] - Medusa

[B]-Ice Climbers-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Ice Climbers-themed Smash Boss

[B]-Mr.Game and Watch-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - G&W-themed Smash Boss

[B]-Sonic the Hedgehog-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Dr Eggman

[B]Mini-Boss[/B] - Metal Sonic

[B]-Metal Gear-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Metal Gear Ray

[B]-Smash Bros.-[/B]

[B]Bosses[/B] - Original Boss

[B]Mini-Boss[/B] - Master Hand & Crazy Hand

[B]Hidden Boss[/B] - Fighting Team Leader
Note that I don't just want a "see boss, beat him up" type of gameplay for every single boss. I'd like to race, avoid, locate, etc. said bosses as well.

Nintendo EAD are the best. Pikmin 3 will be amazing.

Who else would like it if there were two discs? One for single-player one for multiplayer like that new Halo.
That would mean, HAL could do the multiplayer and EAD could do the single player.
I'd like that. In fact, I'd love if they didn't something like that. <3

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Seeing Captain Syrup's name reminded me that SSB4 NEEDS a Wario Land level. Probably on a train, since all three Wario Land games I've played have had train levels.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Toise

Although somewhat irrelevant, Mewtwo was affiliated with Team Rocket at one time, which is funny because people don't really see the organization as a "Team' (Giovanni), more or less a Duo (J & J).

Correction, MOST people don't want categories, some of these people who do want them, actually exist!

Therin lies the complication of finding middle ground between random casuals and core nostalgic loyalists. I don't recommend including characters just by the sake of their titles, but it still happens regardless. For example Captain Syrup being a Rival and a female, ok so now we can check off categories in the Wario series, right? No, perhaps Sakurai doesn't see it this way, but it is still somewhat convienient. Overall there are patterns developing, regardless of how anyone of us see it.

First- Sidekicks- Bosses-Dames
Second-Second to Second/Rivals-Overall Rivals/Enemies
Retro- Third Party- Random

Don't believe me? Check out some of the characters people want.

Dames- Dixie, Krystal
Bosses- King Krool, Ridley
Second to Second/Rivals- S. Goroh, Felix
Second Overall Rivals/Enemies- Black Knight, Black Shadow, Claus

Patterns Already in Brawl

Some characters don't have anything to do with the main series protagonists (Ike and Lucas)

Sidekicks (Diddy, Luigi, Falco) have that sheltering just because their counterparts hold 1st party titles.

Some of the characters under these 'invisible categories' have less significance (of sorts) like Luigi to 64 and Falco to Melee. We may have asked for some of these characters in their respective sequels but we weren't raging for them at first (I honestly did not expect Falco in Melee).

Understanding all this doesn't mean this is the way characters are chosen, it is mere convience or coincidence (Roy). This pattern would make even more sense if characters like DDD, Lucas, and Diddy were in Melee as they were orignially planned, doubts in a pattern like this are caused by chance/coincidence; they ran out of time, thus the filler characters (Pichu, Y.Link, Doc).

*Edit- interesting pattern 4/5 (First), 2 (Second), 1 (Third)
Example (Mario-Marth-Megaman) or (Link, Ness, Sonic)

Last Note:
I need some clarification was Lucario a 3rd Gen Rep or a 4th Gen Rep? His design suggests 3rd, but people keep saying he's 4th.

Wow One MORE Idea! I'm surprised people don't mention these guys, but they rank similar to megaman under third Party: Rayman & Bomberman

Just add MOR men! (Get it?)

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Seeing Captain Syrup's name reminded me that SSB4 NEEDS a Wario Land level. Probably on a train, since all three Wario Land games I've played have had train levels.

Sorry, but the Zelda series deserves a train level. Wario Land needs an Indiana Jones style temple with booby traps as a stage.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
DekuBoy's got it right. Wario Land is normally about finding treasure in temples and what not, especially recenly. A Indiana Jones style temple is exactly what it needs. Really, trains aren't what you think of when you think Wario Land, and none of them have ever played a particularly large role in any of the games. With Spirit Tracks though, the train is like the central emphesis of the game, and thus would make sense to have a level based around it.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I agree. Here's a thought, keep Sakurai's filthy Kirby bull*** miles away from SSB4 Adventure Mode (lol) and let some Nintendo EAD folks handle it. They're creativity is masterful; look at DK Jungle Beat and picture a colorful Nintedo all-star adventure filled with magic, fairies, and i-ma-gin-a-tion!

Now we're getting somewhere. I'd write a story up but that would require a huge roster, I could however contribute in ways. I have a list of 100 crazy AT Ideas located on my laptop of characters who have no shot at being playable, so there's surely a lot of basis material to come.

Seriously. The teams were so bland and unoriginal; I can't find a person who disagrees on that. Mario and Kirby? ...Lol'd. Lucas and Ness? Wow, that was so hard to guess. Thanks Sakurai for making me have to explain the mother storyline seven zillion times. Marth, Ike, and Meta-Knight? Well, at least there's something in this one.

You're missing the key element here. You can't top this:

...When you give me picture wars, I deliver back.

But now onto being more "Serious" With discussion:
The generation they hail from is completely irrelevant, only the fact that these three are the ones people want to see more than anything else.
So by that logic, we should remove Lucario and have Mewtwo instead? By that we should disable ourselves to branching out the character representation in Smash just to what people want? If we go by what people want, the mother character list idea you had (That I for one fully support now) would have a lot of fan disagreements and probably wouldn't look like anything close to it.

The generation they hail from is relevant to a certain extent. I agree it shouldn't shoe-in a character, but think on it. What appeals to more people? Adding in on a character who is slotting in on only one game; Technically 3 even being the most iconic one (Unlike ZSS/Shiek, you're forced to switch) Or slotting in on most of the series with giving some appeal to almost all of the series most wanted starters? - One appeals to fans in one way, another appeals to fans in another way. Honestly one idea is really hypothetical that chances point to not happening but experimenting out instead of going by fans is sometimes a good idea, even with the risk of duds (Pichu) or fan backlash.

Also do note they all have the same role in the games, so It's really just popularity...Which they all have, thus making it surely possible to branch out to having PT Have three different gen starters especially with how topical the other Generations are turning into. Yay remakes?

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
@Scooby
Awesome job on the bosses (I love how smash bosses light on fire once defeated)

@TTK
Hit the Nail on the head for this one. In my list, Pokemon are the most awkward and confusing, so thanks for clarifiying that point

@Pieman
Agreed 10x Over. I still might be the only one that played VBWL, and it is my favorite overall

@Toise
Ball's in your court bro.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
@TTK
Hit the Nail on the head for this one. In my list, Pokemon are the most awkward and confusing, so thanks for clarifiying that point
Actually, I'd say that "Retro's" And 3rd-Parties are. Retro's because Sakurai can go out one moment and say "HEY GAIZ WE CAN'T WORK PIT" And then next moment say "Nope wait, now we can" and then 3rd-parties because they're so hard to predict until a company says something or fans scream, and even then, It's hard.

But in installed main series I'd say pokemon does fall under the most awkward/confusing.

n88

Smash Lord
@thirdkoopa

Actually, I think having Mewtwo instead of Lucario would please more people.

Anyhow, Sakurai has said that he didn't want to only add popular characters, I'll give you that. But he didn't say that he was going to start replacing popular, well-known characters with less popular ones. Randomly chucking PT's pokemon for newer ones is the same as adding villains for the sake of having more villains, another female for the sake of having more females, etc. It's assigning arbitrary criteria to the roster.

Characters should be added because they are good characters to be added. Not so we can fill out nice categories.

Also, I'd like to add that the first-gen is far and away the most iconic and popular gen. I never really touched Pokemon, but my Mom could identify characters like Squirtle, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu. Piplup? Torchic? Less so.

At any rate, I don't think this will happen because I get the feeling Sakurai doesn't really like changing characters around too much.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Actually, I think having Mewtwo instead of Lucario would please more people.

Anyhow, Sakurai has said that he didn't want to only add popular characters, I'll give you that. But he didn't say that he was going to start replacing popular, well-known characters with less popular ones. Randomly chucking PT's pokemon for newer ones is the same as adding villains for the sake of having more villains, another female for the sake of having more females, etc. It's assigning arbitrary criteria to the roster.

Characters should be added because they are good characters to be added. Not so we can fill out nice categories.

Also, I'd like to add that the first-gen is far and away the most iconic and popular gen. I never really touched Pokemon, but my Mom could identify characters like Squirtle, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu. Piplup? Torchic? Less so.

At any rate, I don't think this will happen because I get the feeling Sakurai doesn't really like changing characters around too much.
1)Point on that was that fans don't always get what they want in the exact way they want. Sometimes that is a good thing as shown with the Mother example. The Mother example is a very good one because despite Lucas, Ness, Claus, and Pokey being the most logical way that isn't filler to represent Mother, many would very well disagree with it with such statements as "Mother isn't big enough to fill in 4 characters" And "Too much Mother 3 representation" And "Pokey won't work" And "Claus is spoilers" And "No mother 1 items?" And "*INSERT RANDOM PARTNER HERE WOULD WORK BETTER*" And "We don't need Claus/Pokey" And "Most mother games aren't in the US" And "I don't know this series" And "Claus isn't as popular as Jeff" And...

...You get the idea. Kinda ironic with mother examples when we're discussing another RPG On the table here.

2)Not quite. 4th gen is getting pretty topical from what I hear, and 2nd gen is getting remakes. It's more so on stretching a character who CAN to represent more of the Pokemon universe than what he does currently into other topical ideas. The idea of having one of the 1st gen starters still in that set was also thrown around by NeverInfiniteX. We don't want to kill PT, It's expanding it.

If we were out to kill PT Just for the sake of it, we'd be hypocritical and put in all 2nd or 4th gen starters.

3)As stated; This is really only a hypothetical idea that even If It does happen It probably will be at a moment where nobody expects it, as with the original PT Update.

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
If a next game comes, it should be unique as Sakurai said. tether attack would be cool. I also want the ability to switch fighter type
For example: Ganondorf can switch from his brute strength to his warlock sword. Shiek could switch from ninja moves to using her sword.

Another thing to add is for a golden metal mario in classic mode. Plus, the ability to play as golden metal mario.

Attributes
speed: 0.5/10
strength: 6/10
weight: super heavy weight (only for golden metal mario)
recovery: 0/10
jump height: 2/10
fall speed: 10/10
unable to swim
doesn't take much knockback.
defense: 8/10

his moveset? Same as mario's moveset from smash 64. He won't have a final smash.

some other priorities to golden metal mario
on intense, He is golden metal mario
on vicous, He is platinum mario
only playable in vs mode.
unlock golden metal mario by completing vicious classic mode with every character.

More characters should have alternate costumes with additional alternate colors.
The following characters for costumes

mario
luigi
peach
bowser
donkey kong
diddy kong
yoshi
wario
toon link
meta knight

I also imagined a character hanging on to the character hanging on the edge

If meowth was playable, an event match called "9 lives"

player: Meowth(9 lives)
CPU: lvl 9 fox & lvl 9 wolf (2 lives)
stage: Wuhu Island
time: infinite

Desc: These mangy mutts may be tough, but I can live longer! I can definitely pulverize them before I run out

Stage editor should be enhanced to the fullest. custom backgrounds would be nice along with more colors, more terrain, and some elements. I also want side scrolling custom stages. Did you know that a conveyor belt goes fast if you overlap it in stage studio?

I'll think of more ideas.

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
@ScoobyCafe

Woah, awesome. On the hidden bosses thing, though: Would they be like Final Fantasy style superbosses or just regular, hidden bosses? Anyways, I think I might make my own list of possible bosses.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
A mix of both, but more so on the super-bosses side. Imagine areas on the map in adventure mode were lock and you'll only unlock them once you complete certain tasks, like beating the game on higher difficulties. There you'd find rarer trophies, stronger enemies and secret bosses.

Or bosses appear in areas you already have once you accept a quest from an NPC to challenge said boss, sorta like Sephiroth or Terra in KH2FM+

yotipo91

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-9314-9317
If the physics engine and gameplay styles from SSBM could be identically implemented as an option in this supposed game, then no doubt I'd buy it.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@DekuBoy/Pieman: If you want a train level, use the Paradise Line from Mother 1 and have it drive past a bunch of locations from the game sorta like in Lylat Cruise.

@Koops: You're too hung up on "what some people want" rather than "what most people want."

Most people want Pikachu, PT with the original starters, Jiggs, Mewtwo, and Lucario. They don't want to lose these guys. This is a fact.

If you care what "some people" think, you're gonna end up with a random platter of characters that only a handful of people will be glad to see. Very, very few people will be cool with a playable Chikorita or Meowth or Deoxys over a playable Squirtle or Mewtwo or Lucario.

You're advocating mis-representation in this series. If it's not one of those seven or part of the most recent generation, it doesn't belong.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
@DekuBoy/Pieman: If you want a train level, use the Paradise Line from Mother 1 and have it drive past a bunch of locations from the game sorta like in Lylat Cruise.
Who in the world needs Paradise Line when you can have Cave of the Past with all the final boss scenes from each mother game?

You're advocating mis-representation in this series. If it's not one of those seven or part of the most recent generation, it doesn't belong.
Wanting to expand PT To have his most popular pokemon of most generations isn't exactly mis-representation. I'd put that in It's own category. "Different Representation; Can be viewed as better in some categories, worse in others"

...But when it comes down to it, If Sakurai and the Pokemon Co thought having PT Only represent one generation rather than Three then the bottom line is that It probably won't change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom