• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agi

Smash Lord
More costumes!!! As in--Mario's costume=Dr. Mario. These could be alternates that are unlocked by perhaps completing certain tasks as certain characters. It'd give people another reason to explore/play as other characters, am I right? I know this idea has been presented at least in a mostly similar way by multiple others by now, but I'm stating it as well :).
Who else was looking forward to playing as outset link for Toon link? Or Link's Zora outfit from Twilight Princess? Even having Louie be a sprite swap for Olimar? (Raises hand)

On a related note to TP Link, why couldn't his wolf form be playable? I wanted to eat my enemies...

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Despite complaints of poor online play, Brawls online is a difficult thing to develop, this game takes in alot more data than say a FPS, there are many more factors, so unless you have very good internet, you get the lag that is described in the manual as normal.
Although, we all know FCs suck, we all wish there were more modes and longer replay times.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
1. I don't want Lloyd in the game. I would not be opposed to Sora, but I really don't think it'll happen.

2. KHDS doesn't have anything to do with Sora. At the most, he'll show up in a cutscene or two near the end of the game.
*darn it* I really wanted Sora in, oh well, at least we can dream right? :)

as fro Lloyd, I don't think so, how about Simon Belmont from Castlevania instead, I mean he's way better looking and cooler, though Megaman also fits this

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
For Smash Bros. DS, I hope it isn't just smash 4. I mean... I don't want the next one only on DS... Do people agree?
Nope. I'd be perfectly happy with SSB4 being DS-only, with no accompanying console game.

It'd sell buckets more on that system anyway. If Dragon Quest can go handheld-only, so can Smash Bros.

Edit: What's the reason Mewtwo is gone? Besides being replaced for Lucario. I mean he wans't a clone or anything.
I don't know either. My best guess is that they wanted to have a certain number of "new" characters in the game, and they found that they could make a moveset for Lucario almost identical to Mewtwo, but didn't have time to actually add Mewtwo (they'd have to change him for Brawl anyhow).

Regardless, he's the one character cut from Melee that should come back. His moveset is unique enough to differentiate him from Lucario, even if they changed nothing about it.

GigaKoopa said:
how about Simon Belmont from Castlevania instead, I mean he's way better looking and cooler, though Megaman also fits this
The big thing holding back Simon now is the fact that Snake's already in the game, and it might be more than a little unfair to put two Konami characters in the game.

However, I personally think he's a much more deserving character than either Snake or Sonic, as neither of those characters' franchises have the history with Nintendo that Castlevania does.

OmegaXXII

Nope. I'd be perfectly happy with SSB4 being DS-only, with no accompanying console game.

It'd sell buckets more on that system anyway. If Dragon Quest can go handheld-only, so can Smash Bros.
IMO, going handheld would be the best idea, for one, it would be to small, I mean a really great game like Smash doesn't need to be downgraded to a small handheld, it needs a large viewing sceren such as a console which I believe would be better.

I am not saying it's a bad idea, it would definetly work, it's just that it being exclusive to handheld wouldn't be the best thing to do IMO, but if they were to release it both on a console and handheld such as DS then I wouldn't mind at all, as long as we get a console version, then I'm alright.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
IMO, going handheld would be the best idea, for one, it would be to small, I mean a really great game like Smash doesn't need to be downgraded to a small handheld, it needs a large viewing sceren such as a console which I believe would be better.

I am not saying it's a bad idea, it would definetly work, it's just that it being exclusive to handheld wouldn't be the best thing to do IMO, but if they were to release it both on a console and handheld such as DS then I wouldn't mind at all, as long as we get a console version, then I'm alright.
First thing's first: you...are against the idea, right? Your first sentence is a bit contradictory, is all.

Anyhoo, as for "viewing space", remember that on the DS, the camera wouldn't have to include every character, as only one person would be playing on a DS. Having two screens also opens up alot of room for innovation as far as gameplay goes.

The other thing to remember is that if development is split for a DS and Wii2 version, then one of them isn't going to be all it could be. Game Arts/Sora can only work on one game at a time, and I'd personally prefer to keep each Smash game as stellar as possible.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I'd rather see it on the next console than on the DS. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing in particular against a DS installment, but I'd prefer they focus their efforts on a console game instead. I feel that Smash would be best if kept to the console. I mean, let's not kid ourselves, the highlight of the game is its multiplayer, and multiplayer's a lot easier on a console than on a handheld.

Besides, I like the big screen. :)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I mean, let's not kid ourselves, the highlight of the game is its multiplayer, and multiplayer's a lot easier on a console than on a handheld.

Besides, I like the big screen. :)
Mario Kart DS begs to differ.

Also, getting online with a DS is much easier than a home console. But yeah, I don't really care which system SSB4 is on, just so long as it's on a system, period. Y'know?

OmegaXXII

First thing's first: you...are against the idea, right? Your first sentence is a bit contradictory, is all.

Anyhoo, as for "viewing space", remember that on the DS, the camera wouldn't have to include every character, as only one person would be playing on a DS. Having two screens also opens up alot of room for innovation as far as gameplay goes.

The other thing to remember is that if development is split for a DS and Wii2 version, then one of them isn't going to be all it could be. Game Arts/Sora can only work on one game at a time, and I'd personally prefer to keep each Smash game as stellar as possible.
lol.. my first sentence was a typo, I meant to say I was against the idea of it going handheld so yes I am.

as for "viewing space" I referred to it more as viewing it large rather than small, it's just that I don't like having to stare down at a tiny screen for hours, which is why I'm against it going handheld in the first place, I'd rather sit on my couch and watch it large instead, get me?

and yea I understand that having a 2.0 version of a game is a must since it could gain much more than what 1.0 would offer.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Seconded... I would love to play the first FE.
Third'd, I would have liked to listen to Ike's voice. Oh, also, played that too.

As for the title... "Brawl" was a perfect name, but which would be the next?

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Really? I think that characters like Pichu are out and should stay out. Pichu was nothing but a clone of Pikachu that hurt itself every time it attacked, wtf. Once a character was cut, there's obviously a reason and they shouldn't come back. That includes Mewtwo, he's gone, so deal with it (Directed at all Mewtards).
Pichu mainers are a living testament of being able to defeat opponents even when faced with a big weakness, even when only attacks related to anything electrical hurt him. He's one of the lightest characters in the game, which is a lot more to worry about than self-inflicting attacks.

And Mewtwo is the best Pokemon to ever grace the Smash series. I'm sorry that you don't feel that way.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Mario Kart DS begs to differ.

Also, getting online with a DS is much easier than a home console. But yeah, I don't really care which system SSB4 is on, just so long as it's on a system, period. Y'know?
Haven't played it. I'll take your word for it, though.

I'd prefer they stick to the console, though. I dunno, Smash just feels like a console game to me. If it goes handheld, fine, but I'd prefer not.

Agi

Smash Lord
One thing I see recurring in the DS/Next console debate...
"You wouldn't have to fit all the characters on the screen."
Try using training mode with camera on ZOOM or FREE to see what this would be like. You will see why it must remain on a large screen.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
SirKibble said:
I dunno, Smash just feels like a console game to me. If it goes handheld, fine, but I'd prefer not.
This is the same way Fire Emblem fans felt before FE6 started the series on handhelds, and look how that turned out. Now you know...

agidius said:
Try using training mode with camera on ZOOM or FREE to see what this would be like. You will see why it must remain on a large screen.
Eh, no.

If you want to see what it'd be (roughly) like, what you actually would want to do is watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qsuvSUMChw

Those close-up camera modes in Training are there so you can see what your character is doing in precise detail.

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
A DS version would work fine, just as long as there weren't any huge stages like Temple or New Pork City. I am staring at a DS screen right now, and could definitely see smash working on a screen of that size. Percentages and stocks could be on the bottom screen, and the action could take place on top (or vice versa), also, character/stage selection with the stylus would be sweet! A small detail, sure, but a nice, user-friendly one.

Ilex

Smash Ace
On the DS the controls would be a bit wonky but it could work like:

A: Jab/Tilts
B: Specials
A+B: Smashes
X: Jump
Y: Grab
R: Shield
L: Taunt (Tilt while pressing L for different taunts)

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
A DS version would work fine, just as long as there weren't any huge stages like Temple or New Pork City. I am staring at a DS screen right now, and could definitely see smash working on a screen of that size. Percentages and stocks could be on the bottom screen, and the action could take place on top (or vice versa), also, character/stage selection with the stylus would be sweet! A small detail, sure, but a nice, user-friendly one.
Well in that case the screen would only focus on one character so it wouldnt be a problem for 4P battles (propably it will need 4 users to have the game)...but there is still a small prob....it will be harder to play 2P-4P battles cause its not that easy to find people with the same hardware and there wont be even a story mode so what will someone play when he is alone?

BTW I thought of some names for the new console game (Some might have already been posted like the battle royale at the begining, im just posting an overall conclusion so for all that have already been posted the credits go to them)
-Super Smash Bros. Battles
-Super Smash Bros. Battle Royal
-Super Smash Bros. Fight
-Super Smash Bros. Combat
-Super Smash Bros. Martial Mix
-Super Smash Bros. Great Rematch
-Super Smash Bros. Showdown
-Super Smash Bros. Breakthrough
-Super Smash Bros. Revenge

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
hmm,about being on the DS...well,why not?

as for Lloyd,i dont care,it could be any tales character as long as we get a tales characters,if we go as early as possible we would see Cless,if Latest,then either Emil or whoever is the main char. on Innocence or Hearts

Kratos assist trophy anyone?JUDGEMENT!.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
@ Ilex -

Or something like that. I've thought about it alot, and the big problem I always come across is Smash attacks, as there's no analog stick to distinguish between a tilt and a smash. We don't want to cut out tilts, nor do we want some silly "touch smash" feature.

The best I could come up with is that to smash, you have to tap a direction and press A at the same time, basically like you do with an analog stick. For tilts, you'd simply have to be holding in that direction before you used the move.

Pressing 2 buttons at once would work too, but not A+B, as a player's thumb doesn't rest on those two. You'd have to use B and Y.

So that said, my controls are basically the same as Ilex's, only scratch the A+B combo, both X and Y jump, and R grabs while L shields (reverse this in the option menu if you need to). Taunts are placed on the select button, nice and out of the way.

And Final Smashes would possibly be used on the Touch Screen.

oceanic--ice said:
Well in that case the screen would only focus on one character so it wouldnt be a problem for 4P battles (propably it will need 4 users to have the game)...but there is still a small prob....it will be harder to play 2P-4P battles cause its not that easy to find people with the same hardware and there wont be even a story mode so what will someone play when he is alone?
This would be an issue, but the DS is stupidly popular, in case you hadn't noticed. Also there's WiFi play, so...

Yeah, it's not an optimal experience, but even if your friends didn't have copies of the game, you could use Download Play to send out a version of the game that has none of the locked characters/stages/music/items/etc. in it.

And if you go back one (or two) pages, I made a small list of things the game would have as far as single player goes.

Ilex

Smash Ace
Or something like that. I've thought about it alot, and the big problem I always come across is Smash attacks, as there's no analog stick to distinguish between a tilt and a smash. We don't want to cut out tilts, nor do we want some silly "touch smash" feature.

The best I could come up with is that to smash, you have to tap a direction and press A at the same time, basically like you do with an analog stick. For tilts, you'd simply have to be holding in that direction before you used the move.

Pressing 2 buttons at once would work too, but not A+B, as a player's thumb doesn't rest on those two. You'd have to use B and Y.

So that said, my controls are basically the same as Ilex's, only scratch the A+B combo, both X and Y jump, and R grabs while L shields (reverse this in the option menu if you need to). Taunts are placed on the select button, nice and out of the way.

And Final Smashes would possibly be used on the Touch Screen.
I like that control scheme better actually. But why have two jump commands and no Smash command? Imo having X to jump and Y to Smash would make the most sense. So all in all:

Y: Smashes
L: Grab
Select: Taunts

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I like that control scheme better actually. But why have two jump commands and no Smash command? Imo having X to jump and Y to Smash would make the most sense. So all in all:

Y: Smashes
L: Grab
Select: Taunts
That works too. I actually had jump set to both buttons because of Melee's jump buttons being both X and Y, and while I always used Y, most of my friends used X, so I figured it was just one of those things.

But people'd get used to it.

Anyway, if that's settled--that the four face buttons will control regular attacks, specials, smashes, and jumping--then we need to determine which buttons do what.

When holding the DS, your thumb naturally rests atop the B and Y buttons, so those, I think, should be regular attacks and jumping. Taking a page from the DS Castlevania games...

B = Jump
Y = Attack

In this case, I think A should be special, and X smashes...though the more I think about it, the less I like it. Having three attack buttons seems a bit complicated for Smash Bros.

But, it doesn't really matter. As long as a player can change their controls like in Brawl, everything will fall into place eventually.

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
yes they must change Y into something more....helpfull
perhaps a new special attack stronger than the B ones but weaker than final smash..

Spire

III
BRoomer
If SSB was translated to the DS, it would obviously be a spin-off game, and would not interrupt the continuity of its console renditions. As for the name, what would work better than Super Smash Bros. DS? Think about what DS stands for. DUAL-screen. Now isn't that reminiscent of the word "duel"? If anything else, it should just be Super Smash Bros. Duel, so can that mang.

Also, as for the roster. I feel that it should have the same amount of characters (if not a little bit more) that Melee had, but with half of them being veterans from Brawl, and half being newcomers, particularly known because of their handheld appearances (like Vaati, Advanced Wars character, Ray Mk III, and Animal Crosser). That way, it would lay the grounds for a nice amount of new characters so that when development for the next console Smash Bros rolls around, they can choose the best characters from both Brawl and Duel.

Also to note, since Pokemon is known best for its handheld games and not its console spinoffs, the characters in Duel would probably be far more up-to-date, besides Pikachu. I'm seeing three Pokemon characters: Pikachu, a new Pokemon trainer with new Pokemon, and a third "legendary-esque" Pokemon.

Ilex

Smash Ace
If SSB was translated to the DS, it would obviously be a spin-off game, and would not interrupt the continuity of its console renditions. As for the name, what would work better than Super Smash Bros. DS? Think about what DS stands for. DUAL-screen. Now isn't that reminiscent of the word "duel"? If anything else, it should just be Super Smash Bros. Duel, so can that mang.

Also, as for the roster. I feel that it should have the same amount of characters (if not a little bit more) that Melee had, but with half of them being veterans from Brawl, and half being newcomers, particularly known because of their handheld appearances (like Vaati, Advanced Wars character, Ray Mk III, and Animal Crosser). That way, it would lay the grounds for a nice amount of new characters so that when development for the next console Smash Bros rolls around, they can choose the best characters from both Brawl and Duel.

Also to note, since Pokemon is known best for its handheld games and not its console spinoffs, the characters in Duel would probably be far more up-to-date, besides Pikachu. I'm seeing three Pokemon characters: Pikachu, a new Pokemon trainer with new Pokemon, and a third "legendary-esque" Pokemon.
Man you're awesome. Agreed 100%.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
I would only like it on a DS if it had an analog stick. It's possible for them to invent a handheld with it ( you just pull the stick up and it will lock itself straight, and when your done you push a button on the side to make the control stick flatten down into a little opening ). As long as it doesn't "have" to be played with a d-pad, then I don't really care what it's on. I don't know if they have already made a way to hook up a DS to a TV screen, but that would become very popular.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For Smash Bros. DS, I hope it isn't just smash 4. I mean... I don't want the next one only on DS... Do people agree?
I agree 100%. If there's gonna be a Smash Bros. for the DS, it'll be a remake of the N64 game.

Super Mario 64 was remade for the DS. Same thing for Diddy Kong Racing. Why not Smash Bros. 64?

Smash 4 should be for a major gaming console, which the DS is NOT.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I agree 100%. If there's gonna be a Smash Bros. for the DS, it'll be a remake of the N64 game.

Super Mario 64 was remade for the DS. Same thing for Diddy Kong Racing. Why not Smash Bros. 64?

Smash 4 should be for a major gaming console, which the DS is NOT.
If you haven't noticed, we're talking about two different games: the core game, Super Smash Bros. 4, and the spin-off, Super Smash Bros. DS (Duel). Since there's such a huge gap between Smash Bros games now, a spin-off would be a nice bridge between Brawl and 4.

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
As one of the 17 people in the country who uses the classic controller well in brawl, I think the button configuration should stay the same as it is for the classic, but tag grab to Y (how I play).

Heck, why not just throw in customizable button assignment like in brawl?

Oh, and Spire III, SSBD idea wins.

Del Money

Smash Champion
If you haven't noticed, we're talking about two different games: the core game, Super Smash Bros. 4, and the spin-off, Super Smash Bros. DS (Duel). Since there's such a huge gap between Smash Bros games now, a spin-off would be a nice bridge between Brawl and 4.
I don't get how you think a DS game would bridge the gap between games....or how a spinoff is even necessary. Besides, hand-held gaming as a whole has been declining ever since Nintendo kept releasing new models the GBA. As of now, the only people I see with handheld consoles are like 12 and younger.

Del Money

Smash Champion
...OK, besides Del Money, who here has a DS? Be honest, now. I do, and I'm playing FF3 right now.
Um...you're not really disproving me by taking a sample from a biased population....i.e. a gaming forum. Of course plenty of people on SWF have a DS. For christ's sake, that's like wondering why Wii's are still in shortage/high demand when mostly everyone on SWF has one.

Nintendo would make a killing at a DS smash, and, to disprove Del Money, the DS has held more M-games on the system than the Wii. Look it up.
Again, what are you trying to disprove? I said the majority of people I see with hand-held consoles these days are like 12 and under. I never said anything about the maturity level of hand-held gamers....so please don't put words in my mouth.

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
OK, poorly phrased. A more PC way of saying what I meant: "I would like a DS smash, kind sir."
Last time I argue with someone who has 8x my posts...

Anyways, Waluigi for the console SSB4, Yes or No? Is there even a possible moveset for him? Doesn't Toad deserve a spot more? Opinions?

Del Money

Smash Champion
LOL... don't really care about post count.

And anyways, if an SSB4 is to happen I don't see more than 50 characters total including those that were already in Brawl (except maybe the 3rd parties) since none of them seem logically expendable (though I still think R.O.B is the most pointless addition known to man).

As for the roster, it really depends on what Nintendo games are released within the next 4 or so years in case they want to throw in more "Marth/Roy-ish" characters for advertising purposes. Characters I could right now see in the next one are Krystal, Ridley (if they use common sense this time), and possibly K.Rool. And to answer your question, I see Waluigi as a higher chance for playability than Toad.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't get how you think a DS game would bridge the gap between games....or how a spinoff is even necessary. Besides, hand-held gaming as a whole has been declining ever since Nintendo kept releasing new models the GBA. As of now, the only people I see with handheld consoles are like 12 and younger.
Game developers can take advantage of handheld systems to introduce new concepts under a smaller budget, and if this is done for Smash Bros, then perhaps it could help to enhance our experience with the next console Smash Bros due to what the devs may learn from the experience of working on a smaller title. In the DS version, they could include ideas scrapped from Brawl's production, or just try out entirely new ideas; it could be more experimental than the core Smash Bros titles, because they know that the core titles are what the gamers really want.

I feel that if they were to develop a DS title, then it would give them a leg up on the development of the next core Smash Bros - helping them to refine the gameplay and game modes so much more.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Game developers can take advantage of handheld systems to introduce new concepts under a smaller budget, and if this is done for Smash Bros, then perhaps it could help to enhance our experience with the next console Smash Bros due to what the devs may learn from the experience of working on a smaller title. In the DS version, they could include ideas scrapped from Brawl's production, or just try out entirely new ideas; it could be more experimental than the core Smash Bros titles, because they know that the core titles are what the gamers really want.

I feel that if they were to develop a DS title, then it would give them a leg up on the development of the next core Smash Bros - helping them to refine the gameplay and game modes so much more.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. However, to me i just seems like downloadable content between a DS title and a console title would be more fitting for an SSB game rather than have 2 completely independent titles.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
LOL... don't really care about post count.

And anyways, if an SSB4 is to happen I don't see more than 50 characters total including those that were already in Brawl (except maybe the 3rd parties) since none of them seem logically expendable (though I still think R.O.B is the most pointless addition known to man).

As for the roster, it really depends on what Nintendo games are released within the next 4 or so years in case they want to throw in more "Marth/Roy-ish" characters for advertising purposes. Characters I could right now see in the next one are Krystal, Ridley (if they use common sense this time), and possibly K.Rool. And to answer your question, I see Waluigi as a higher chance for playability than Toad.
If they used common sense Ridley won't be in.

Picture Ridley just slightly bigger then Samus. He'd look so stupid and it would be an insult to him.

Don't say "Look how big Bowser was in sunshine!!!" because he's been slightly bigger then Mario in tons of other games and he looks normal that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom