• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Okay, looks generally good, but:
  • There is nothing wrong with placeholders, since there's a very high likelihood of a new lord and generation by the time SSB4 comes out. It's stupid to say a character would get in when there's a high chance of a new character who trounces them.
  • Why the hell did you cut Peach, a tourney-viable character with popularity and significance? And added... Fawful? Both are NPCs with around the same level of importance to their games, but Peach has about ten times as many games. If you were to add another Mario character, it should have been Paper Mario. Even the generic Toad would be better.
  • I'd mention that Black Shadow>Samurai Goroh, but that would cause an endless debate...
  • ZSS will return, regardless of her fanservice.
  • Not only is a new lord going to trounce any other FE character's significance, the right choice for a new FE character right now is Roy. Far more people played Melee than any Fire Emblem game, and more people will recognize him from that although he was added for advertising. Hell, even Lyn is more likely than Micaiah, a character who really only has t3h mag1c5. Main characters or GTFO.
  • Tabuu is a big no... Smash is not meant to represent itself and if it did it would have Master Hand, a character from all three games, instead of Tabuu, a final boss who barely showed up in one game.
  • Sin and Punishment is not a very big series at all compared to series like Advance Wars and Paper Mario. Even if there was a Sin and Punishment rep, it would be the more recent protagonist (by SSB4) of Sin and Punishment Wii.
  • The protagonist of GS3 will be much more recognizable than Isaac by SSB5.
  • If there's an Animal Crossing rep, which won't happen unless Sakurai changes his mind about them fighting (I disagree, but what would Sakurai do?), it would be Tom Nook, who has a set appearence and far more demand.
  • Putting in two obscure retro characters isn't right when there are much more popular, significant and recognizable series left unrepped in your roster.
  • With all likelihood the third parties will remain based on their popularity, and Lloyd Irving is very unlikely...

EDIT: If Tingle got his own series the symbol would be a rupee.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
I want to try to feedback.

>____________________________> No offenence but that is just being stubborn, you may not like her but do you honestly belive that she isn't going to appear?

Anyway, I am not going to get into that, isn't there some slightly more imporatant charters than Fawful? I personally think Paper Mario is.

I thought Fawful would make a great fighter, especially a final unlockable one. I heard someone suggest Fawful a long time ago...

I think ZSS has a shot

That form is mostly like because of "hotness;" Ridley should get in (difficult, I know) and ZSS should be cut

I don't think really think he would appear due to the fact that this is basically a game, with Nintendo characters from other consoles getting together.

Tabuu would be considered a Smash-exclusive character, and a Nintendo one as well

Isn't there a bit too much retro?
Not everyone on that section is retro.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
Okay, looks generally good, but:
  • There is nothing wrong with placeholders, since there's a very high likelihood of a new lord and generation by the time SSB4 comes out. It's stupid to say a character would get in when there's a high chance of a new character who trounces them.
  • Why the hell did you cut Peach, a tourney-viable character with popularity and significance? And added... Fawful? Both are NPCs with around the same level of importance to their games, but Peach has about ten times as many games. If you were to add another Mario character, it should have been Paper Mario. Even the generic Toad would be better.
  • I'd mention that Black Shadow>Samurai Goroh, but that would cause an endless debate...
  • Not only is a new lord going to trounce any other FE character's significance, the right choice for a new FE character right now is Roy. Far more people played Melee than any Fire Emblem game, and more people will recognize him from that although he was added for advertising. Hell, even Lyn is more likely than Micaiah, a character who really only has t3h mag1c5. Lords or GTFO.
  • Tabuu is a big no... Smash is not meant to represent itself and if it did it would have Master Hand, a character from all three games, instead of Tabuu, a final boss who barely showed up in one game.
  • Sin and Punishment is not a very big series at all compared to series like Advance Wars and Paper Mario. Even if there was a Sin and Punishment rep, it would be the more recent protagonist (by SSB4) of Sin and Punishment Wii.
  • The protagonist of GS3 will be much more recognizable than Isaac by SSB5.
  • If there's an Animal Crossing rep, which won't happen unless Sakurai changes his mind about them fighting (I disagree, but what would Sakurai do?), it would be Tom Nook, who has a set appearence and far more demand.
  • Putting in two obscure retro characters isn't right when there are much more popular, significant and recognizable series left unrepped in your roster.
  • With all likelihood the third parties will remain based on their popularity, and Lloyd Irving is very unlikely...

EDIT: If Tingle got his own series the symbol would be a rupee.
What if there isn't going to be a new FE game or new Pokemon gen by the time Smash 4 comes out?

I chose Micaiah because she's the most recent lord, is a female, and a magic user with no sword. I would choose Lyn, but the chances for her playability aren't that great. And Micaiah is a Lord, even someone lacking FE knowledge would know eventually with a bit of research.

And you are aware about why I hate Peach, do you?

I think the AC rep should be Animal Crosser.

Maybe I should remove Tabuu...

And my roster is an unexplainable mix of favorites, requirements, likelyhood, and tolerability. For example: Aran Ryan is one of my favorite Punch-Out!! Wii opponents, but he's not very likely for a playable appearance, so I can't add him, and I didn't.

Maybe you should make your own roster, Wizzerd.

And sorry for the double post. I don't know how to put more than one quote into one post.

justaway12

Smash Master
No, offence but do you mind putting quote tags at the end of your post, it's much easiear that way ^_^

I thought Fawful would make a great fighter, especially a final unlockable one. I heard someone suggest Fawful a long time ago...

I think Paper Mario is more important since he is the star of 3 games, I also think Paper Mario would be a good fighter but *shrugs* whatever floats your boat

That form is mostly like because of "hotness;" Ridley should get in (difficult, I know) and ZSS should be cut
Ya, ya, I guess, but she is somewhat popular, maybe it's just me but she basically looks like the Sheik of Zelda, not THAT important to the seris but not going to leave PLUS both Sheik and ZSS are better than their counterpart. IDK, (I'm LoZ iggnorant but didn't just come rarely at times, only in one game, to help Link)

Not everyone on that section is retro.
Oh I see

And sorry for the double post. I don't know how to put more than one quote into one post.
If you want to quote, for example mine and Wizzerd's at the same time, go to my post, and click multi-quote (or the notebook if you're using classic blue skin) then go to Wizzerd's and click quote

Pieman0920

Smash Master
So we have a character. This character is minor in Series A but stars in Series B. Therefore he should represent Series A.
To be blunt, yes. Its not like Peach and Luigi should be switched over to be stars of their own series, just because they have had spin off games. One was previously just a pallete swap, and the other was a perpetual damsel in distress. They both had fairly unimportant or placeholder roles, until their own games, where they got to shine on their own. Instead though, they were put into the series that best represented them as a whole. Tingle has had multiple games that have ingrained him into the LoZ series, and while he has had two games of his own that have seperated him somewhat, as of now, he's still better associated with the series he came from.

Saying it's been five years isn't making it seem worse than it really is. That's what it really is. Appearing on a poster behind a bartender means nothing to nobody, but I won't rule out Tingle's chances of appearing on some obscure surface in Spirit Tracks.
The thing about using a term like five years, is that its deceptive about how many games have actually been made inbetween. In the Legend of Zelda's case, its only been really two, if you don't count that crossbow training thing. As I said before, Luigi got left out of two mainstream Mario games, while he was getting his own game, and that didn't change his status. Since refferences to Tingle still showed up in each game, its still dubious to say that he's even seperated from the series at all, since its not like there's a refference to Ganondorf in MM, PH, and most of the other games where he doesn't have a main role.

The Purlo logic is flawed because Purlo is Purlo, not Tingle. Dressed like Tingle, but that's it. Tingle is a fruit, Purlo is a prick. Now I guess Marin was technically in five games instead of one since Malon is basically her, right?
Sure. The LoZ has a lot of reccuring elements, despite its different timeline deal. Marin could very well be a differnt incarnation of Malon, like Purlo could be a incarnation of Tingle. In Purlo's case though, its just more obvious, since it was even confirmed that he was basically a realistic Tingle.

I'm in a rush so I can't try to make sense of why you'd come up with such a horrible analogy. If you want to explain this, keep in mind you're comparing Luigi to Tingle. I'm really curious to see where you're gonna go with that.
What's wrong with making this comparison? Why are you saying its a horrible analogy if you don't have time to read it? All I'm saying is that the situation you're putting Tingle in is a lot like that of Luigi, who wans't showing up in the main Mario series for awhile, and was getting his own games for a time, and thus possibly warented his own series, yet in the end didn't get it.

Answer me this: why is a new Zelda character inevitable?
I really don't have time to go into this, since there's a lot I can say on this subject, especially given the direction of Brawl's character totals, but do you honestly think that its not inevitable? The Zelda series is one of Nintendo's biggest, and since Melee its always had a high number of characters. Given that Smash is pretty much a big Nintendo ad, and that the Zelda series is still going strong, its really is inevitable that it will get a new character, even if you are going to make Tingle seperate.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Mario the Jumpman said:
Maybe you should make your own roster, Wizzerd.
I did. Also, please do not expect me to pussyfoot around the issues with your roster. I'm not going to wear silk gloves and rub honey around your mouth.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
I did. Also, please do not expect me to pussyfoot around the issues with your roster. I'm not going to wear silk gloves and rub honey around your mouth.
What does pussyfooting mean? And what does your "silk glove and honey" sentence mean?:confused:

I made three rosters total, and my third one is the most updated. My mind changes at unspecific times, speeds, and change quantity. I can be rather unpredictable.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
It means that it's unreasonable for you to expect us to hold back all of our criticism when you put yourself out there.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Six retro characters are not too many for SSB4. There would be 2 Melee retro characters (Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch) and 2 Brawl retro characters (Pit and R.O.B.) and 2 brand-new retro characters (hopefully Takamaru and Hunting Dog).

Edit

I don't count Little Mac as retro. He hasn't been retro since May 2009. Nintendo treats Little Mac and the Punch-Out franchise like a brand-new franchise... just like how Nintendo treats Metroid like a brand-new franchise after it was revived in 2002.

So, even though Punch-Out is not retro, Little Mac would still be placed on the NES column like Samus is in Brawl and she is not retro either.

Another edit

And even if for some miracle, Nintendo finally makes a new Kid Icarus game before SSB4... Pit wouldn't be retro anymore and there would be only five retro characters in SSB4 by then. But Pit would likely be grouped with the other retro characters along with Samus and Little Mac.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Six retro characters are not too many for SSB4. There would be 2 Melee retro characters (Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch) and 2 Brawl retro characters (Pit and R.O.B.) and 2 brand-new retro characters (hopefully Takamaru and Hunting Dog).

Edit

I don't count Little Mac as retro. He hasn't been retro since May 2009. Nintendo treats Little Mac and the Punch-Out franchise like a brand-new franchise... just like how Nintendo treats Metroid like a brand-new franchise after it was revived in 2002.

So, even though Punch-Out is not retro, Little Mac would still be placed on the NES column like Samus is in Brawl and she is not retro either.

Another edit

And even if for some miracle, Nintendo finally makes a new Kid Icarus game before SSB4... Pit wouldn't be retro anymore and there would be only five retro characters in SSB4 by then. But Pit would likely be grouped with the other retro characters along with Samus and Little Mac.
Exactly! Even though characters that were formely retro can manage to get new entries in their respective franchises, they will be grouped in the NES column, because they debuted in and were part of the era of the NES, an important console in the history of Nintendo. It's an honorable pedigree to have, for sure, since it allows them and the retro characters to be among the best there ever was and the best there ever will be.

Also, I don't mind the addition of more retro characters. I say, the more the merrier (within reasonable limits)!

For the record, I am hoping for Takamaru, too. ;)

Neckbeard Torterra

Smash Journeyman
Black Shadow would have Ganondorf's moveset. (Possebly giving Ganondorf a new moveset)

And Pichu and jiggs are joke characters. 15 pages back someone posted a link to this. Jiggs because Sakurai wanted something weak as a joke. Pichu because he wanted someone who was bad on purpose.

justaway12

Smash Master
I want to make a roster for once in my life​

MARIO (♥)

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser jr.

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King.K Rool

Warioware​
Wario

Yoshi (<3)
Yoshi

Legend of Zelda​
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Toon Link
Ganondorf
Tingle

Metroid
Samus/ZSS
Ridley

Star Fox
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Kirby

Kirby
King Dedede
Meta-Knight

Pokemon

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
New Pokemon

Fire Emblem
Marth
Ike
New FE lord/Roy
(if a new one is not made I think it would be Roy)

F-Zero
Capt. Falcon
Samurai Goroh

Pikimen
Olimar​

Mother/Earthbound/whateve it's called​
Ness
Lucas

Retro
Ice Climber
Mr.Game & Watch
Pit </3
Little Mac
R.O.B.

Third Parties
Megaman
Sonic
Snake

The rest (this could count as retro since I forget)
Isaac
Simon Belmont
Ray
Ray MK II
Lip

I'm postive I forgot one or two...

Get at me :3!!!

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
Black Shadow would have Ganondorf's moveset. (Possebly giving Ganondorf a new moveset)

And Pichu and jiggs are joke characters. 15 pages back someone posted a link to this. Jiggs because Sakurai wanted something weak as a joke. Pichu because he wanted someone who was bad on purpose.
GANONDORF DOESN'T NEED A SWORD!!!:mad::mad: AND CAN YOU PLEASE NOT DUMP GANONDORF'S FIST MOVESET ONTO BLACK SHADOW??!!:mad::mad:

And comments for justaway12's roster:

I'll begin with FE: if there's no New Lord, then it would likely be either Roy or Micaiah. I personally would perfer Micaiah, but I don't know which is more likely.

Did you forget about Takamaru?

Maybe we could add Simon Belmont. I suppose we could keep Snake and Sonic for Smash 4.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There is nothing wrong with placeholders, since there's a very high likelihood of a new lord and generation by the time SSB4 comes out. It's stupid to say a character would get in when there's a high chance of a new character who trounces them.
While it is likely that another FE and Pokemon generation will come out by then, there is not guarantee that there will be another character for those series (aside from possibly Mewtwo).
Why the hell did you cut Peach, a tourney-viable character with popularity and significance? And added... Fawful? Both are NPCs with around the same level of importance to their games, but Peach has about ten times as many games. If you were to add another Mario character, it should have been Paper Mario. Even the generic Toad would be better.
Fawful has been the only character exclusive to the Mario and Luigi series to appear in all three games which means that Nintendo has a liking for him, and he has his fans. Although, Paper Mario or Toad (preferably Toad) would be better choices.

Not only is a new lord going to trounce any other FE character's significance, the right choice for a new FE character right now is Roy. Far more people played Melee than any Fire Emblem game, and more people will recognize him from that although he was added for advertising. Hell, even Lyn is more likely than Micaiah, a character who really only has t3h mag1c5. Main characters or GTFO.
A new lord will not necessarily get in over other FE characters. If the new lord isn't liked, he/she isn't guaranteed a spot. However, Roy does have the best chance at the moment because of his Melee status (nothing has ever been proven that he was added for advertising) and because he was one of the two Seven Deadly Fighters to make it real far into development. Also, do not discount supporting characters. They stand as much a chance as any other supporting character.

Sin and Punishment is not a very big series at all compared to series like Advance Wars and Paper Mario. Even if there was a Sin and Punishment rep, it would be the more recent protagonist (by SSB4) of Sin and Punishment Wii.
So what if it isn't that big of a series? Pikmin got a character and no one whined about it having only two games. Also, I'll be using the Marth card for this and Golden Sun. Saki and Isaac likely have better chances because they are the stars of the games that started it all. Besides, Isaac and Saki will likely be better known than Isa (Saki's son) and the new GS protagonist.

This post made me realize that it's terrible for a fighting game series like Smash to have characters that are either tourney viable or not. Every one of them should be viable, and I hope this is finally fixed once and for all next game.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
justaway12, I think that's a pretty good roster. Just a couple of things:
  • I would put either Roy/New FE Lord or just New FE Lord. Micaiah isn't all that likely.
  • Where did ROB go?
  • <3 ya for Lip, but she might not go under retro because she is only retro as a character, with her series not being retro. Though it's a distinction mainly made in rosters, so it's not a huge deal... :laugh:
  • Isaac not Issac! Also, I think that the protagonist of GS3 will get in instead of Isaac as a more recent character
    unless Isaac is prominent in the plot as a party member like in GS2
  • Saki isn't all that likely. Sin and Punishment will only have two games by SSB4, and so there are other characters from new series who are more recognizable. Plus the more recent protagonist of Sin and Punishment 2 is more likely should Sin and Punishment get a rep. It actually isn't a bad idea, but there are just other series that outclass it.
  • 45 is a reasonable number, but you could feasibly add four or five. How about bringing back ROB, and choosing a couple of new series reps like Tom Nook, Paper Mario, Ray, Ray MK III, Simon Belmont (actually third party) and the like?
Other than that, very nice roster! Very well-balanced.

KumaOso said:
While it is likely that another FE and Pokemon generation will come out by then, there is not guarantee that there will be another character for those series (aside from possibly Mewtwo).
More likely than not they will exist, so it's better to say New FE Lord and Fifth Gen Pokemon than Roy or Mewtwo. Yes they may not get another rep but both are likely to get one, Fire Emblem being very big in Japan and Pokemon having a vastly deserving character in Mewtwo plus the high likelihood of a new Pokemon.

Fawful has been the only character exclusive to the Mario and Luigi series to appear in all three games which means that Nintendo has a liking for him, and he has his fans. Although, Paper Mario or Toad (preferably Toad) would be better choices.
I would hardly say that his role at the Bean 'n' Badge really counts for anything, and he may be recurring mainly because he has so much popularity (lol mustard), and popularity doesn't really do anything without significance and Sakurai's interest (notably, when somebody called out "Fawful!" at a Brawl conference Sakurai didn't know who he was). Most importantly, Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario are much more likely (Toad is a generic race. There are multiple ROBs but you play as one in his games. Yoshi, yes, but a race of Toads doesn't have its own series.)

A new lord will not necessarily get in over other FE characters. If the new lord isn't liked, he/she isn't guaranteed a spot. However, Roy does have the best chance at the moment because of his Melee status (nothing has ever been proven that he was added for advertising) and because he was one of the two Seven Deadly Fighters to make it real far into development. Also, do not discount supporting characters. They stand as much a chance as any other supporting character.
In a series like Fire Emblem which reboots itself frequently you end up with many protagonists, supporting characters and antagonists. Protagonists are almost always going to be more important than supporting characters. This is proven by how all three Fire Emblem characters to ever be in are protagonists. And it's plenty unlikely that a supporting character would be more popular than a protagonist. Even if they are there's still significance.

So what if it isn't that big of a series? Pikmin got a character and no one whined about it having only two games. Also, I'll be using the Marth card for this and Golden Sun. Saki and Isaac likely have better chances because they are the stars of the games that started it all. Besides, Isaac and Saki will likely be better known than Isa (Saki's son) and the new GS protagonist.
Pikmin sold well and was worldwide, unlike Japan-only Sin and Punishment. It was on VC, yes, but VC games don't match other games in sales. We don't even know how the next game will do financially. You can use the Marth card if you like, but I'm going to use the Ganondorf card, the Toon Link card, the Mewtwo card, the Lucario card and the Ike card.

justaway12

Smash Master
justaway12, I think that's a pretty good roster. Just a couple of things:
[*]Where did ROB go?

I knew I forgot someone.

[*]Isaac not Issac! Also, I think that the protagonist of GS3 will get in instead of Isaac as a more recent character
unless Isaac is prominent in the plot as a party member like in GS2
Sorry, I suck with names :urg:, but isn't a game with mulitiple main characters (e.g. Fire Emblem) going to have the character in the first game to represent it.

[*]Saki isn't all that likely. Sin and Punishment will only have two games by SSB4, and so there are other characters from new series who are more recognizable. Plus the more recent protagonist of Sin and Punishment 2 is more likely should Sin and Punishment get a rep. It actually isn't a bad idea, but there are just other series that outclass it.
I know but I was kind of blank at that moment, and I wanted to finish it off since I don't do rosters a lot and I might not have gotten back to it

[*]45 is a reasonable number, but you could feasibly add four or five. How about bringing back ROB, and choosing a couple of new series reps like Tom Nook, Paper Mario, Ray, Ray MK III, Simon Belmont (actually third party) and the like?[/list]

Yeah, I forgot about some people, I'm slightly sceptical about Tom Nook being adding since Sakurai said that Tom Nook shouldn't be fighting.
And isn't Paper Mario a Mario rep?

Sorry, Jumpman, I completely missed your post

I'll begin with FE: if there's no New Lord, then it would likely be either Roy or Micaiah. I personally would perfer Micaiah, but I don't know which is more likely.
IDK either, personally I would prefer Roy (since I hate Micaiah >.>) but I'm not sure about FE

I know I've heard that name before, sorry, I forgot who he is, I'll looks him up.

O I C, the sword guy, how important is he anyway? I ask because I know nothing about him

Maybe we could add Simon Belmont. I suppose we could keep Snake and Sonic for Smash 4.
Ya, ya. I added him, and I kept Snake in because he seems very popular and Sonic as well, that was the reason he appeared in this game. No? (also having Nintendo games aswell, I guess)

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Whie the Ice Climbers throw a wrench in the theory, Samus was probably in that "NES columm" because it wasn't truly a NES columm but rather a Gunpei Yokoi columm. Of course as I said, the ICs don't really fit in with that, and G&W would technically make it fully Yokoi, I can only speculate that G&W was moved over to the third party columm because he fit there better than the ICs. (Or is there some Gunpei Yokoi connection I'm not getting here with the ICs?)

Also concerning FE, I'd say Micaiah would be the better defualt character to go to if there is no lord, simply because she wouldn't be a total clone that is only liked for their visual apperance like Roy is....but then again, seeing how SF had three semi-clones, its not completely out of the question. (Not saying Ike's a clone though)

Neckbeard Torterra

Smash Journeyman
GANONDORF DOESN'T NEED A SWORD!!!:mad::mad: AND CAN YOU PLEASE NOT DUMP GANONDORF'S FIST MOVESET ONTO BLACK SHADOW??!!:mad::mad:

And comments for justaway12's roster:

Not giving ganondork a sword is like giving Link a Fox moveset and Bowser water gun.
(It makes no sense)
We could also give Mewtwo a strictly physical move set as well.
Because like... its not like he has ESP or anything.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wizzerd, if you may be so kind to, please put up a list of rules that you have gone by when it comes to predicting characters and what not. I believe you've seen mine, but I'll post mine if you or anyone else want me to.

Not giving ganondork a sword is like giving Link a Fox moveset and Bowser water gun.
(It makes no sense)
As dragonsythe mentioned earlier, making Ganondorf's Down B a swap to a sword (or trident) moveset would be the best and most likely thing to happen if it were to happen.

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf can use his sword for a couple of his moves, but the LoZ series already has enough sword users. Also, I choose the the Animal Crosser over Tom Nook everyday. Just because Tom Nook owns all of the tools and equipment in his shop, he has NEVER used them ever. And as for Toad, I heard some1from somewhere say, "Toad has been banished to the B move world forever,".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Only one little problem with that theory, though:

Being a psychic-type Pokémon technically means that Mewtwo can use ESP.

Giving him a strictly physical moveset would be missing the point, frankly.

Do people think Captain Falcon is annoying? If he is, then we could have one of his moves summon Fruity Yamcha from the Banjo Ball Z Youtube Video Series (they are HILARIOUS!:laugh:). This post is just for laughs.

No offense, but you wouldn't happen to have any issues, would you? :confused:

On a side note, I think the Captain's cool.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
KumaOso said:
Wizzerd, if you may be so kind to, please put up a list of rules that you have gone by when it comes to predicting characters and what not. I believe you've seen mine, but I'll post mine if you or anyone else want me to.
Hmm, I have never thought about this but I could put some together. In no particular order:
1. The character should have popularity and significance.
2. Sakurai should have expressed an interest in the character, in whatever way.
3. The character should have a series in need of another character, or at least can feasibly have another. This can be bypassed by exceptionally deserving (sorry) characters.
4. Do not say that a character cannot get in for being another form of a seperate character. There have already been three alternate forms.
5. Do not say that a character should get in for being female, a villian, in a new arc or generation or being otherwise unique from other characters.
6. Do not use moveset potential. Any character can be given a unique and suitable moveset. Toon Link had massive potential, but he ended up as the closest thing to a clone in Brawl.
7. In general, more recent characters are better options.
8. Avoid cutting characters.
None of these make a character deserving on their own, but the more the better. This is off the top of my head, so I'm definitely forgetting some things.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hmm, I have never thought about this but I could put some together. In no particular order:
1. The character should have popularity and significance.
2. Sakurai should have expressed an interest in the character, in whatever way.
3. The character should have a series in need of another character, or at least can feasibly have another. This can be bypassed by exceptionally deserving (sorry) characters.
4. Do not say that a character cannot get in for being another form of a seperate character. There have already been three alternate forms.
5. Do not say that a character should get in for being female, a villian, in a new arc or generation or being otherwise unique from other characters.
6. Do not use moveset potential. Any character can be given a unique and suitable moveset. Toon Link had massive potential, but he ended up as the closest thing to a clone in Brawl.
7. In general, more recent characters are better options.
8. Avoid cutting characters.
None of these make a character deserving on their own, but the more the better. This is off the top of my head, so I'm definitely forgetting some things.
1. Can you expand on this?
2. Fine with this one.
3. I think this one is faulty as this can result in the roster having a number of token characters.
4. The only ones I can think of are Toon Link (Young Link is the same person to an extent), Dr. Mario and Zero Suit Samus. Toon Link is in almost by necessisty. Both forms have a lot of popularity with some prefering the other. Zamus was a way to expand on the Metroid series, but he forgot Ridley.
5. Yet you suggest a new FE Lord or new Pokemon for the next game.
6. Fine with this one, but it does make them sound doable.
7. I highly disagree with this. The only thing they seem to have over older characters is that they're new. You're basically saying older characters are obsolete unless they're retro.
8. I think depends on who gets cut. For example, I would cut Wolf for Krystal so as to better diversify the Starfox characters.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
With all the discussion of Tingle and LoZ characters, do remember that we still have Zelda Wii in the works from Miyamoto and Nintendo. Because we do not know anything about the game (unless somebody is part of the development team which I highly doubt) we do not know what kind of potential the game has in shaping the potential SSB4 roster. They could even decide to bring back an older character (Midna, Vaati, Ralph, just as examples) and draw out their story and/or character more.

Obviously any new character would more than likely have its share of popularity for a season, it is whether or not the character has actual staying power that is in question. It is the same thing I try telling people with the new installment of Metroid, remember that we could have brand new characters that may bring about new debate. Which would be a welcome relief.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
KumaOso said:
1. Can you expand on this?
3. I think this one is faulty as this can result in the roster having a number of token characters.
4. The only ones I can think of are Toon Link (Young Link is the same person to an extent), Dr. Mario and Zero Suit Samus. Toon Link is in almost by necessisty. Both forms have a lot of popularity with some prefering the other. Zamus was a way to expand on the Metroid series, but he forgot Ridley.
5. Yet you suggest a new FE Lord or new Pokemon for the next game.
7. I highly disagree with this. The only thing they seem to have over older characters is that they're new. You're basically saying older characters are obsolete unless they're retro.
8. I think depends on who gets cut. For example, I would cut Wolf for Krystal so as to better diversify the Starfox characters.
1. Basically, the character should be prominent enough that people will recognize them and popular enough to be pleased by them.
3. I suppose it's more of a guideline than an actual restriction.
4. Paper Marty-o? He's better than that fanservice in a bathing suit ZSS.
5. I don't think they're likely because of being in a new arc or generation, I do because they will probably be recent and popular, and my main reason is that Nintendo is likely to put them in for advertising purposes.
7. I'm not saying that all recent characters are more popular or that older characters are obsolete. In general, more recent characters are more likely to be recognized by people playing Smash. Isaac may be more popular than the GS3 protagonist by SSB4, but people who played the original GS are not as plentiful as those who have played GS3. Look at it this way: people old enough to recognize Isaac will most likely have played GS3 as well and are familiar with Isaac and the GS3 protagonist, but newer gamers will only recognize the protagonist of GS3. It's all about pleasing the most people.
8. How would Krystal diversify the Star Fox cast? Wolf's semi-clonishness is not inherent in him being Wolf, it's because Sakurai just semi-cloned him. I could easily imagine Krystal with a pink Landmaster as easily as Wolf, even if she has a staff.

Do or Die

Smash Rookie
First of all, does anyone even KNOW if there's going to be a SSB4? That's besides the point though I suppose.
For characters, there's are definitely some series which are plenty represented, while others are very UNDERrepresented. We don't need more Mario, Pokemon, or Zeldas (even though I HIGHLY support keeping Toon Link and adding Tetra.) We need more series like Metroid, or F-Zero. We need more characters that scream their moves before they do them!

I say we add characters like Krystal, Knuckles, and... *cough* Master Chief
Don't blame me for being a Halo fan :lick:
We need Peppy the Hare! We need a character that scream at us to DO BARRELS ROLLS! or USE BOMBS WISELY! They also need to work on the game engine ALOT. Any game where I can make a pink marshmallow into a permanently HUGE pink AWESOME, should be fixed. Plus, better stages. For god's sake, who decided Mario Bros. should've been in Brawl? I'll stab their face in with a pencil. Unsharpened. That's why, I veto we replace EVERY character in the game with Captain Falcon, and ALL of the stages Big Blue! That last sentence was a joke :p
PEACE OUT!

EDIT: OH! And all 3 of PT's pokemon should be Mukipz! EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. lol
RE-EDIT: I dare anyone to sort out the serious parts from the sarcastic parts of all that.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
1. Basically, the character should be prominent enough that people will recognize them and popular enough to be pleased by them.
3. I suppose it's more of a guideline than an actual restriction.
4. Paper Marty-o? He's better than that fanservice in a bathing suit ZSS.
5. I don't think they're likely because of being in a new arc or generation, I do because they will probably be recent and popular, and my main reason is that Nintendo is likely to put them in for advertising purposes.
7. I'm not saying that all recent characters are more popular or that older characters are obsolete. In general, more recent characters are more likely to be recognized by people playing Smash. Isaac may be more popular than the GS3 protagonist by SSB4, but people who played the original GS are not as plentiful as those who have played GS3. Look at it this way: people old enough to recognize Isaac will most likely have played GS3 as well and are familiar with Isaac and the GS3 protagonist, but newer gamers will only recognize the protagonist of GS3. It's all about pleasing the most people.
8. How would Krystal diversify the Star Fox cast? Wolf's semi-clonishness is not inherent in him being Wolf, it's because Sakurai just semi-cloned him. I could easily imagine Krystal with a pink Landmaster as easily as Wolf, even if she has a staff.
1. I don't think that a character has to prominent. Look at Midna, despite being, so far, a one time character, she has a large fanbase. Ultimately, it's popularity, not recurrence.
3. I guess.
4. I have nothing against Paper Mario, and don't go hating on Zamus.
5. What makes you think they'll be put in for advertising? If there was advertising involved, we would've gotten Chibi Robo, one of the Elite Beat Agents, and more.
7. They may be more recognizable, but don't go into this assuming that the roster will be concerning new players mostly. Smash embraces all the way from the past to the present, and the roster should reflect this.

ultimatesmashguy

Smash Cadet
First of all, does anyone even KNOW if there's going to be a SSB4? That's besides the point though I suppose.
For .
Good point because if there wasnt this whole thread would be a waste, But I hope so im going to post a roster soon that I have been working on so be ready

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
KumaOso said:
1. I don't think that a character has to prominent. Look at Midna, despite being, so far, a one time character, she has a large fanbase. Ultimately, it's popularity, not recurrence.
4. I have nothing against Paper Mario, and don't go hating on Zamus.
5. What makes you think they'll be put in for advertising? If there was advertising involved, we would've gotten Chibi Robo, one of the Elite Beat Agents, and more.
7. They may be more recognizable, but don't go into this assuming that the roster will be concerning new players mostly. Smash embraces all the way from the past to the present, and the roster should reflect this.
1. By SSB4 people will have forgotten Midna and be supporting that pointy sword spirit. Sakurai has really shown no intention of adding one-shots, the only one being Sheik because Ocarina was that popular and was very recent for Melee.
4. Zero Suit Samus was added for sex appeal. She has no value to the Metroid series, especially when there was Ridley. Even Dark Samus could have been a better addition.
5. We've gotten characters added for advertising in Fire Emblem and Pokemon in Melee and Brawl, but notsomuch in other series.
7. Of course it does. It's just that more people will recognize the new character.

Clownbot

Smash Lord

Eh, probably. Smash = money, something Nintendo can't live without. :p

For characters, there's are definitely some series which are plenty represented, while others are very UNDERrepresented. We don't need more Mario, Pokemon, or Zeldas (even though I HIGHLY support keeping Toon Link and adding Tetra.) We need more series like Metroid, or F-Zero. We need more characters that scream their moves before they do them!

Mario deserves at least one more character, being Nintendo's mascot. Pokemon will probably get another character in the form of a pokemon from the most recent generation, and Zelda... I'm not sure about it. I can definitely tell you that Tetra's not the best for the spot.

I somewhat doubt F-Zero getting a new character.

I say we add characters like Krystal, Knuckles, and... *cough* Master Chief
Don't blame me for being a Halo fan :lick:

I don't blame you for that, it's just that MC has no business in Smash Bros.

We need Peppy the Hare! We need a character that scream at us to DO BARRELS ROLLS! or USE BOMBS WISELY! They also need to work on the game engine ALOT. Any game where I can make a pink marshmallow into a permanently HUGE pink AWESOME, should be fixed. Plus, better stages. For god's sake, who decided Mario Bros. should've been in Brawl? I'll stab their face in with a pencil. Unsharpened. That's why, I veto we replace EVERY character in the game with Captain Falcon, and ALL of the stages Big Blue! That last sentence was a joke :p
PEACE OUT!

EDIT: OH! And all 3 of PT's pokemon should be Mukipz! EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. lol
RE-EDIT: I dare anyone to sort out the serious parts from the sarcastic parts of all that.

I.... I.... I can't tell! D:
Comments in bold.

EDIT: @ultimatesmashguy: Really, this thread isn't going to affect SSB4 anyway, so.... :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Whie the Ice Climbers throw a wrench in the theory, Samus was probably in that "NES columm" because it wasn't truly a NES columm but rather a Gunpei Yokoi columm. Of course as I said, the ICs don't really fit in with that, and G&W would technically make it fully Yokoi, I can only speculate that G&W was moved over to the third party columm because he fit there better than the ICs. (Or is there some Gunpei Yokoi connection I'm not getting here with the ICs?)
There is no Gunpei Yokoi connection. If there were one, Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch would have switched slots on the Brawl roster. The connection I see is NES... or more accurately, Famicom Disk System and Famicom.

The Famicom Disk System half of the NES column
- Samus / Zero Suit Samus (doesn't count as retro)
- Pit

The Famicom half of the NES column
- Ice Climbers
- R.O.B.

There were no Game & Watch games on the Famicom nor the Famicom Disk System. That's why Mr. Game & Watch was not grouped with the NES characters.

I would like to see this column split into two columns in SSB4. One for Famicom Disk System and another for Famicom. That would be very interesting to see.

The Famicom Disk System column
- Samus / Zero Suit Samus (still doesn't count as retro)
- Pit
- Little Mac (doesn't count as retro)
- Takamaru (retro #1)

The Game & Watch and Famicom column
- Mr. Game & Watch (so that he can be with other retro characters)
- Ice Climbers
- R.O.B.
- Hunting Dog (retro #2)

ultimatesmashguy

Smash Cadet
I really hope that there is going to be a new game i mean the series has only gotten better and who knows how high they can reach how good it can get so guys do you like using the wii controls for brawl or gamecube because i like gamecube and i hope they continue to have that option in the new game because i used to love smash bros melee well still do but i used to be obsessed so i got used to the controls and then they came out with the new one so i was like man this sucks then i saw the gc option so it was all good so what do you guys think do you care if they have the gc option in this new game?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I really hope that there is going to be a new game i mean the series has only gotten better and who knows how high they can reach how good it can get so guys do you like using the wii controls for brawl or gamecube because i like gamecube and i hope they continue to have that option in the new game because i used to love smash bros melee well still do but i used to be obsessed so i got used to the controls and then they came out with the new one so i was like man this sucks then i saw the gc option so it was all good so what do you guys think do you care if they have the gc option in this new game?
Use punctuation and capitalization pl0x.

Ahem, thanks.

Anyway, the GC will be pretty old by SSB4's time. I'm not sure if they'll make the game's console GC-adaptable (unless it's on the Wii, which is doubtful).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom