• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I am reposting the list since it was at the bottom of the previous page. Which of the following third-party characters would you like to see in Smash 4:

Mega Man
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Leon (Resident Evil)
Pac-Man
A Soul Calibur Character
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Slime (mascot of Dragon Quest)
Chocobo (mascot of Final Fantasy)
Crono
Personally, I'd love to see Leon S. Kennedy and a Soul Calibur fighter in Smash Bros. (preferably Yoshimitsu or Ivy :p). An honorable mention would go to Simon Belmont, because I feel like his franchise would be a cool addition to Smash.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Personally, my third-party picks go first to Mega Man, then Bomberman, then to Crono. The others are all kind of meh for me.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I am reposting the list since it was at the bottom of the previous page. Which of the following third-party characters would you like to see in Smash 4:

Mega Man
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Leon (Resident Evil)
Pac-Man
A Soul Calibur Character
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Crono

Also, thank you for your feedback Wizzerd and Spadefox. As to your question Wizzerd, I think Paper Mario would make a great addition to Smash Bros., and Diskun definitely fits the bill for a WTF retro character representing a system, however, a moveset would be difficult to craft for the little guy.
Mega Man's a given. I don't play his games, but I know that I'll shot with some sort of charged beam weapon if I don't mention him. :D

A SC character would be kind of cool, but not Ivy. Anything but Ivy. She's just too creepy. Her weapon would be an interesting addition, but she's disgusting. She needs clothes. And can you even imagine all of the nasty snapshots people would take? And she's not the most significant character anyway. Siegfried is probably the most important, but can anyone say Ike clone? Yoshimitsu would be awesome, not least because he'd be a guest character as a guest character, considering he's a guest in SC from Tekken anyway.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Shadow and Knuckles should be put in. As for Mewtwo, Lucario became his clone and I think Darkrai deserves a spot more. I would like to see more DK reps including Tiny Kong from DK64. Cranky Kong would be a WTF character.
I'd love to play as Cranky Kong. Walk around with his walking stick and smash everyone with sarcastic, snide remarks. His Final Smash would probably put everyone to sleep kind of like Peach's except more awesome.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Shadow and Knuckles should be put in. As for Mewtwo, Lucario became his clone and I think Darkrai deserves a spot more. I would like to see more DK reps including Tiny Kong from DK64. Cranky Kong would be a WTF character.
You clearly NEVER played Mewtwo in Melee if you still think that Lucario's a clone of Mewtwo.

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Clones

Lucario isn't considered a clone of Mewtwo because he isn't and never was. Mewtwo was going to be in Brawl but Sonic was added at the last minute and Sakurai didn't have time to make both of them, so he focused on Sonic, who was the most wanted character anyways.

No, Darkrai does not get in before Mewtwo returns. Mewtwo is still popular, and was still more popular than Lucario at the height of Lucario's popularity. Mewtwo needs to come back, buffed up as he should have been from Melee to Brawl.

Dixie Kong and King. K Rool should be in WAYYYYYYY before "Tiny" Kong. We are in agreement about Cranky Kong though.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Hmm, speaking of third-parties I would like to do a little poll. Which of the following third-party characters would you like to see in Smash 4:

Mega Man
Ryu (Street Fighter)
Leon (Resident Evil)
Pac-Man
A Soul Calibur Character
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Crono
Mega Man, as everyone's been saying, is a give-in. Besides that... Simon Belmont could be a good second Konami rep but in that case Sega should get a second rep too... I'm thinking Tails or NiGHTS. The only other characters from your list I can see getting in would be bomberman or Pac-Man as there companies are pretty close with Nintendo and they are both significant characters.

Finally, if Capcom is to somehow get a second rep, I wouldn't want Ryu. Sure, he's probably the most likely, but someone like Phoenix Wright or Amaterasu (or, y'know, Phoenix Wright) would be so much awesomer.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
I want trophies for SEGA and Konami in general, not just Sonic and Metal Gear respectively. I want trophies of NiGHTS and Simon Belmont... catch my drift? Actually I want trophies to improve in general.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I don't want to go trophy-hunting in the stupid SSE levels where I have to depend on my non-existant luck for trophy stands to appear (I swear to God, I had to beat Duon 50 times before I finally got a trophy stand... on Intense. With Stickers).

I also would like to have the Sticker and the Trophy Stand trophies removed. They're dumb. <_<

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
I don't know, I personally thought the Trophy Stand idea was a cool one. Though having to rely on luck is annoying... maybe you could earn Trophy Stands somehow and then summon them with a certain button or something? It'd be much more tolerable that way and avoid full-out removing the interesting way of getting trophies.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
It's far too frustrating. Too many variables. I say only have them in boss battles cause c'mon... did anyone actually want trophys of those hideous generic enemies? Now look at the horrible underrepresentation of FE and Mother as trophies.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Agreed on that, Oli. The concept was good, but the trophy stands' appearance needs to be less random. I can't tell you how many times the last enemy in an area dropped a trophy stand for me. Stupid. But if you could hold onto them and save them for later. . .

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Trophies pretty much sucked in Brawl. There's random errors (some of which are understandable, but others...) and just plain rampant laziness. Seriously... almost all of the trophies are directly ripped from recent games, meaning that, for example, the ONLY Zelda trophies are all WW or TP characters! It's just... pathetic in comparison to all the new models in Melee.

And I want trophies of the hideous generic enemies, thank you very much. :p But that brings up another thing... a sequel to the SSE needs to rely MUCH less on Smash-original stuff. Sure, Master Hand and Crazy Hand can be important, the final boss should probably be something Smash-original, and a few original enemies (like, say Primids) would be okay, but would ANYONE really prefer having all original enemies with a few exceptions over a bunch of Nintendo enemies from the various franchises? No. Just no.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind if they had original enemies and bosses, but they should have kept them in original levels. We had the HALBERD, and I was actually annoyed with the fact that there was nothing FROM the halberd to FIGHT.

Anyway, I looked it up personally, and smash is getting SO good with clones. At the worst, we might only have one clone and a few VAGUE semiclones (Wolf and Lucas. BARELY clones at all.)

The only real CLONE pair is Link and Toon Link...SEMI clones are pretty much only Falcon and Ganon, plus Fox and Falco. Everyone else looks okay to me.

Anyway, back at the 3rd party thing, I would say Megaman. But can someone refresh my memory as to who Simon Belmont is, exactly? I haven't played the series much recently.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Not to mention F-Zero, WarioWare, Wario Land (has NO trophy at all), Kid Icarus, ...

Also... I still haven't gotten the trophies for Tabuu and the 2 Ridley bosses (aside from the tons of generic enemies I don't want to collect), because it's far too annoying to play through the hellish difficult stages, have to deplete the bosses' HP to a small enough amount and then have them destroy themselves with random items (Ridley, Tabuu), the time run out (Meta-Ridley), or them to kill you (all 3). It's really dumb. When I played against Petey, I had to wait for 5 god**** minutes until I finally got a Trophy Stand. On Intense with Stickers for additional Trophy Stand-drop! And Petey is the one I waited the shortest time for. Except the cases where I get a trophy stand as first item when the boss still has all of his HP.

Anyway, back at the 3rd party thing, I would say Megaman. But can someone refresh my memory as to who Simon Belmont is, exactly? I haven't played the series much recently.
Simon Belmont was the first protagonist of the Castlevania series and has been the most famous one (for being in the first game, despite the fact he wasn't the first Belmont).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not to mention F-Zero, WarioWare, Wario Land (has NO trophy at all), Kid Icarus, ...

Also... I still haven't gotten the trophies for Tabuu and the 2 Ridley bosses (aside from the tons of generic enemies I don't want to collect), because it's far too annoying to play through the hellish difficult stages, have to deplete the bosses' HP to a small enough amount and then have them destroy themselves with random items (Ridley, Tabuu), the time run out (Meta-Ridley), or them to kill you (all 3). It's really dumb. When I played against Petey, I had to wait for 5 god**** minutes until I finally got a Trophy Stand. On Intense with Stickers for additional Trophy Stand-drop! And Petey is the one I waited the shortest time for. Except the cases where I get a trophy stand as first item when the boss still has all of his HP.
Even with the increase of items in Intense mode, wouldn't it have been easier just to fight them in easy mode and wait for a trophy stand to drop?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Even with the increase of items in Intense mode, wouldn't it have been easier just to fight them in easy mode and wait for a trophy stand to drop?
No, because the chances of trophy stands to drop in Easy Mode is almost nil. Very Hard/Intense is the only way to get trophy stands sooner. At least for Meta Ridley I would have to do that because I can't wait 5 hours for a trophy stand to drop, and only have like 2 minutes.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Wario Land is tragic. Instead of awesome explorer Wario we got fat farting biker Wario. Can they at least chang his standard and up B moves to be from Wario Land?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wario Land is tragic. Instead of awesome explorer Wario we got fat farting biker Wario. Can they at least chang his standard and up B moves to be from Wario Land?
I'll admit, I never did understand his recovery... And his B can go. I don't care much.

But the motorcycle and bad gas are fun to use in a casual match, PLUS they (separately and together) give him an awesome recovery.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
While I definitely think that Wario being based off of WarioWare was a good idea, as it lent itself to some good quirks and stuff, I don't really understand Sakurai's logic for his moveset. At all. It's like... he made up half of it and the rest he loosely based off of moves Wario had... and I mean loosely based. Like his standard special being based on the Coin Vacuum. We definitely needed more Wario Land stuff.

And what was with the farting, anyway? I like the gameplay mechanic and probably wouldn't take it out at this point but... its like he just wanted to appeal to little kids who find that stuff funny or something. I admit it does kind of fit in with the WarioWare series, but it really didn't need to happen.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Other than a bunch of caps/ weird transformations that Wario used in Wario Land (Such as being a zombie or on fire, which are funny but I don't think would work in Smash Brothers) Wario only Rammed into enemies and I think had a "Butt Slam" move...

There isn't that much they would add really...He had a fire breathing cap in Wario Land 1 or something but that could be a copy of Bowser's fire breathing at best

Sir Ilpalazzo

Smash Apprentice
To ChronoBound's poll - wouldn't it make more sense to have Chris representing Resident Evil instead of Leon? Chris is more representative of the series than Leon, even if Leon had RE4.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
he made up half of it and the rest he loosely based off of moves Wario had... and I mean loosely based.
Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy, Yoshi, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Young Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Ice Climbers, ROB, Olimar, Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede, Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Mewtwo, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Marth, Roy, Ike, Ness, Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch, Snake and Sonic say hi.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy, Yoshi, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Young Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Ice Climbers, ROB, Olimar, Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede, Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Mewtwo, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Marth, Roy, Ike, Ness, Lucas, Mr. Game & Watch, Snake and Sonic say hi.
Ah. Touche. :p

I guess I'm focusing too much on the special moves... standard move practically have to be at least partially made up. I guess Wario really doesn't have it bad at all when compared to, say, Ganondorf. XD

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Wario's new up-B: his head inflates like in Warioland 4 and floats upwards. Simple yet cool.

New standard B: From Warioland Shake It he grabs forwards and if he gets you he shakes like crazy.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
As to your question Wizzerd, I think Paper Mario would make a great addition to Smash Bros., and Diskun definitely fits the bill for a WTF retro character representing a system, however, a moveset would be difficult to craft for the little guy.
Yay, I really love Paper Mario games, even if SPM was a disappointment. And Diskun would be hard to make a moveset for, but I'm sure Sakurai can think of some completely unrelated character to make him a clone of.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I think pretty much all of Wario's moves fit perfectly to him, and mix up both incarnations (FSmash is based of his Wario Land charge attack). Wario has, in both of his series, a very erratic and strange gameplay, especially in WarioWare. And he's a gross glutton, so biting and farting perfectly fits to him. Bike is from WarioWare, too. The only move I don't get is the UpB.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Wario's new up-B: his head inflates like in Warioland 4 and floats upwards. Simple yet cool.

New standard B: From Warioland Shake It he grabs forwards and if he gets you he shakes like crazy.
That Up-B would be just odd enough to work perfectly. XD (Yes I know where it comes from, but to people who don't... well, it would seem to fit surprisingly well, I think)

And I was thinking something similar for his standard... Maybe once you grab someone you can mash A to shake and use the control stick to aim and throw.

Sir Ilpalazzo

Smash Apprentice
^I agree, and I'm glad Sakurai didn't make him a clone of Mario.
This made me think of something. In Melee, Wario was very high on the polls, so why was Dr. Mario used as Mario's "model swap" instead of Wario? Was it just because Dr. Mario is the same as Mario? Considering half of the clones made it in because of the polls, you would think Wario would have too.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
This made me think of something. In Melee, Wario was very high on the polls, so why was Dr. Mario used as Mario's "model swap" instead of Wario? Was it just because Dr. Mario is the same as Mario? Considering half of the clones made it in because of the polls, you would think Wario would have too.
I'm not sure, but not because Dr. Mario is Mario. Nobody had any problem with Young Link or Toon Link because of redundancy. But I never really thought of that...

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Maybe Sakurai thought the character had too much potential to be a clone and decided to wait for the chance to make him a unique character.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am not sure about this, but I remember reading for Sakurai's reasoning for including Wario was that initially he did not like Wario, and that it was not until WarioWare that he developed an interest for the character.

Also, on the note of newcomers, which of the following unrepresented series do you guys think should have a playable character in Smash 4:

Animal Crossing
Punch-Out
Stafy
Custom Robo
Golden Sun
Sin & Punishment
Advance/Famicom Wars
Panel de Pon/Puzzle League
Band Bros.
Chibi Robo
Rhythm Heaven
Mii/Wii series
Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
Magical Vacation
Paper Mario
Dr. Mario

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Magical Vacation might just be interesting... Paper Mario has a much, much better chance, though.

If another third party series gets added, it should be Final Fantasy.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
You're forgetting Chosoju Mecha Marination Gear and Joy Mech Fight, if you already name Rhythm Heaven, Chrono.

Honestly, though? I would love new characters from all of those series, except the Miis.

You might want to change it to Touch!-Generation series (that includes all of the Wii XY games, Nintendogs, Dr. Kawashima and whatnot).

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Speaking of Dr. Kawashima, Brain Age needs to make more games before people forget about that wonderful series. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom