• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Puzzle games need more recognition in Smash Bros.

I say add Lip, Dr. Mario, and then a denizen of Geolyte.

Daisy would be an amazing addition; flower planting galore.

Krystal would be unique to the Star Fox roster.

We need Tetra. Seriously.
---

The OoT characters made it in because OoT was rated the best Nintendo game of all time (and still is).

Xyn

Smash Cadet
SSB4 should have some ATs as playable chars like
Lyn
Isaac
maybe Waluigi

and Roy and Mewtwo should return

other char wishes are
Krystal
K. Rool
Dixi Kong
Felix( Golden Sun)
and RYU xDDD

that would be AWESOME

well and the ingame-speed should be faster
ummm like between Brawl and Melee that would be good

Captain Falcon should be like in Melee

well iI don't rly care about the adventure mode but 4 player adventure would be funnier xDD
and they should make more mini games with the smash-factor

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Starfox Adventures is not a game I count as canon to the Starfox series, since it originally was not intended to be a Starfox game, and Krystal never was supposed to be added to the Starfox crew.

This is the reason why I heavily vote against the addition of Krystal to the roster.

Also, I've never played Assault, but it was released AFTER Smash 64. And I think even after Melee.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yet this mode didn't provide as much information for creating a complete moveset for Fox or Falco, let alone Wolf.

iirc, all you had in this mode was your character (one of the 4 original Star Fox members) running around with a rocket launcher.

n88

Smash Lord
Nintendo should actually produce real trophies and sell them to promote the game. Just little miniature figures. I would buy those. Also, since the debate of what to call it keeps popping up, I have some ideas:

Super Smash Bros. Armageddon
Super Smash Bros. Combat
Super Smash Bros. Fisticuffs

Or, to really shake things up:
Super Smash Sisters

Seriously, though, I think they're already running out of good words that mean "fight."

D

Deleted member

I don't doubt the prospect of an SSB4, but I doubt Sakurai's position as director, or as a member of the team at all. You need some insight into the management of Nintendo and HAL to really understand the dynamics - how far honour or respect will get you when you do a stupid thing like leave the company. In essence, Sakurai's a free agent, who transpires to do sequels [a reason for his leaving] and outside assignments for Nintendo.

The good part of that is, Sakurai has indeed made a sequel for Smash Bros. whilst being a free agent. Over a period of several years, he [arguably] successfully coerced his team at HAL into making a viable sequel. What we do know about Nintendo - Miyamoto, at least - is that they have high-quality standards for supposed high-quality projects, thus why there hasn't been a stinker Super Mario or Legend of Zelda or Metroid game *touches wood*.

The bad part of that is, Nintendo doesn't have to re-hire him. If he makes a mistake somewhere down the line, or simply isn't free when Nintendo needs him, they could full well get another chump to sit in his chair. Sakurai's plan to make Brawl more newb-friendly kinda backfires in that respect, as any monkey with a computer can make Mario Party 10 if you give them a thousand years. Sakurai's direction isn't needed, nor is his advice, with a growing posse of younger developers coming through and Brawl being a massive undertaking by a group of developers.

Another issue is if Sakurai even wants to develop the next game. Brawl sold well and garnered a lot of praise. Despite all outside help, this was indeed Sakurai's baby and his reasons for leaving HAL were to escape the 'sequelisation' of the industry, but it is obvious that he simply could not live up to his credentials anymore. With that in respect, Brawl may be the point where Sakurai says, "my work is done, I've got nothing to prove anymore", which is fair enough. If he were to take this stance, I doubt Nintendo would wager too much on bringing him back, as as much as he would like to believe that Brawl was Kirby Wii, it really wasn't. There are far better directors out there.

Seriously, Sakurai needs to start making new games. Everything he does reeks of Kirby, if he's on the development side [he was a designer for Meteos]. If he wants to make Kirby games, he shouldn't have left HAL.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
There are a couple of decent titles I could think of:

Super Smash Bros. Rumble (cheese, but still ok)
Super Smash Bros. Royal (seriously, it still means fight, you don't need to throw battle in front of it)

I also liked the aforementioned Armageddon title, but it might be a bit too serious for Smash.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I just had an interesting thought. I know some companies copyright the names of games just to make sure that nobody can use it before the make the game. Pokemon does this. Does anybody know if Nintendo/HAL has copyrighted any other Smash game titles?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
My guess is yes. The credits for every Nintendo game say all the characters, music, scenario, and game in general belong to them.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I don't doubt the prospect of an SSB4, but I doubt Sakurai's position as director, or as a member of the team at all. You need some insight into the management of Nintendo and HAL to really understand the dynamics - how far honour or respect will get you when you do a stupid thing like leave the company. In essence, Sakurai's a free agent, who transpires to do sequels [a reason for his leaving] and outside assignments for Nintendo.

The good part of that is, Sakurai has indeed made a sequel for Smash Bros. whilst being a free agent. Over a period of several years, he [arguably] successfully coerced his team at HAL into making a viable sequel. What we do know about Nintendo - Miyamoto, at least - is that they have high-quality standards for supposed high-quality projects, thus why there hasn't been a stinker Super Mario or Legend of Zelda or Metroid game *touches wood*.

The bad part of that is, Nintendo doesn't have to re-hire him. If he makes a mistake somewhere down the line, or simply isn't free when Nintendo needs him, they could full well get another chump to sit in his chair. Sakurai's plan to make Brawl more newb-friendly kinda backfires in that respect, as any monkey with a computer can make Mario Party 10 if you give them a thousand years. Sakurai's direction isn't needed, nor is his advice, with a growing posse of younger developers coming through and Brawl being a massive undertaking by a group of developers.

Another issue is if Sakurai even wants to develop the next game. Brawl sold well and garnered a lot of praise. Despite all outside help, this was indeed Sakurai's baby and his reasons for leaving HAL were to escape the 'sequelisation' of the industry, but it is obvious that he simply could not live up to his credentials anymore. With that in respect, Brawl may be the point where Sakurai says, "my work is done, I've got nothing to prove anymore", which is fair enough. If he were to take this stance, I doubt Nintendo would wager too much on bringing him back, as as much as he would like to believe that Brawl was Kirby Wii, it really wasn't. There are far better directors out there.

Seriously, Sakurai needs to start making new games. Everything he does reeks of Kirby, if he's on the development side [he was a designer for Meteos]. If he wants to make Kirby games, he shouldn't have left HAL.
QFT

I believe Sakurai should be let go by Nintendo because it is his wish that he doesn't want to work with Nintendo anymore. He was basically in a sense only brought on to SSBB because Miyomoto would have made what is now Brawl, a "Melee 2.0" but Sakurai didn't want that.

I think that it would be best for Sakurai and for all of us fans if he didn't direct SSB4.
Sakurai himself should just be happy being his own creator and creating whatever other thing he wants to create, but leave SSB4 for a new person who can more listen to their fans needs.

LSDX

Wah!

Very good points indeed. I too have also considered his directions in the future of Smash Bros. You made well debatable points in the issue that he is indeed a freelance worker, but he can easily be replaced by any other programmer who has just as good (or even better) ideas than Masahiro S.

On a side note of him and Kirby: The amount of Kirby representation in Brawl EXTREMELY outweighs that of any other (excluding the Mario franchise). Just go look at how many trophies the Kirby franchise has for example, along with the overpowered nature of Metaknight and Dedede (No flamming, persoanl opinions). If Iwata could get a new director who wasn't biased towards one franchised and could actually focus on true balance and etc., then the series might get somewhere in the future (even though the Smash Bros. franchise is already top notch in my opinion).

SirKibble

Smash Champion
If I had a quarter for every time someone hates on Sakurai for being biased toward the Kirby series in Smash... I would have no quarters, because I would promptly proceed to drive them through the heads of the offenders. And I believe that means a few of you would have quarters lodged deeply into your skulls.

That's all I wanted to say. Bottled that in for too long...

D

Deleted member

If I had a quarter for every time someone hates on Sakurai for being biased toward the Kirby series in Smash... I would have no quarters, because I would promptly proceed to drive them through the heads of the offenders. And I believe that means a few of you would have quarters lodged deeply into your skulls.

That's all I wanted to say. Bottled that in for too long...
I don't hold any hate towards Sakurai for prolonging Kirby aspects through his games, more that he lacks creativity and thus Kirby is all he has. Insofar that he buffed Kirby characters, I disagree, but he did comment at one point that Brawl was planned to be his last game in the series or that he simply didn't care anymore, so he would indeed focus more on his own characters than anyone else's. This would also extend to Solid Snake naturally, as he is friendly with Hideo Kojima, the creator of that character.

It only proves further how blatant a flaw this is on Sakurai's part when every poster acknowledges it.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I don't hold any hate towards Sakurai for prolonging Kirby aspects through his games, more that he lacks creativity and thus Kirby is all he has. Insofar that he buffed Kirby characters, I disagree, but he did comment at one point that Brawl was planned to be his last game in the series or that he simply didn't care anymore, so he would indeed focus more on his own characters than anyone else's. This would also extend to Solid Snake naturally, as he is friendly with Hideo Kojima, the creator of that character.

It only proves further how blatant a flaw this is on Sakurai's part when every poster acknowledges it.
Everyone here knows Sakurai created Kirby. Everyone here knows Sakurai created Smash. What's the big deal?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Everyone here knows Sakurai created Kirby. Everyone here knows Sakurai created Smash. What's the big deal?
Precisely. There's no need for every single person to whine about bias. No matter who created Smash, there would be some bias, and I, personally, believe Sakurai did an excellent job at being fair to every series. If you don't, that's fine, but whining about any bias is getting really, really old.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I'm guessing the reason some people kind of bashed the creater of Smash because of the SSE, it might be somthing else but that's my highest reason due to most reviewers not liking the SSE. -_-;

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I'm guessing the reason some people kind of bashed the creater of Smash because of the SSE, it might be somthing else but that's my highest reason due to most reviewers not liking the SSE. -_-;
I'm not exactly sure why people expected something else when the creator of Smash, who also happens to be the creator of Kirby, decided to make a side-scrolling adventure -_-;

rexinator

Smash Apprentice
I'm not exactly sure why people expected something else when the creator of Smash, who also happens to be the creator of Kirby, decided to make a side-scrolling adventure -_-;
Wait, that's a great idea. Make the story mode for the next smash a third-person game!!! Something that would totally defeat the porpuse of a side-scrolling fighting game would be AWSOME!!!
Maximum SARCASM right there
:p

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Majora Link
Bomberman
Ren
Tula
Ioz
Dixie Kong
King K Rool
Lyn
Hector
Tails
Mudkip

And bring back Mewtwo and Roy.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Wait, that's a great idea. Make the story mode for the next smash a third-person game!!! Something that would totally defeat the porpuse of a side-scrolling fighting game would be AWSOME!!!
Maximum SARCASM right there
:p
Yeah, but that's not the point I was trying to make. :p

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
On the point of Kirby bias, I don't really think it was what Kirby GOT that was unfair (other than Meta Knight's broken-ness). It was what other more popular series did NOT get. If Mario, Metroid, and DK (the three most underrepped series IMO in Brawl) had just one more character each, I doubt there would be nearly as many complaining people out there.

Although I believe that Sakurai should be monitored by creators of other series who could develop for SSB4, that way he won't try to pull out even more bias, cause it would be very difficult to convince him that SSB4 would not be the last Smash, and therefore make him want to work with his characters even more.

D

Deleted member

On the point of Kirby bias, I don't really think it was what Kirby GOT that was unfair (other than Meta Knight's broken-ness). It was what other more popular series did NOT get. If Mario, Metroid, and DK (the three most underrepped series IMO in Brawl) had just one more character each, I doubt there would be nearly as many complaining people out there.

Although I believe that Sakurai should be monitored by creators of other series who could develop for SSB4, that way he won't try to pull out even more bias, cause it would be very difficult to convince him that SSB4 would not be the last Smash, and therefore make him want to work with his characters even more.
In the least, there are no more Kirby characters to add. I wouldn't mind seeing the tree and eye, cloud, thingy in the next Smash game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

I agree with this statement. Not only should he be monitored, but they should have the final say in movesets, write the trophy descriptions, and give input of what characters they want in themselves. The biggest problem Smash has had is in its representation. Series like MOTHER, Metroid, and Donkey Kong are not being represented properly. There are inaccuracies in movesets and trophies. This is a Nintendo game. Aside from some possible localization errors (like Lyn being 15 in the English version as opposed to 18), there should be absolutely no errors in details like backstories.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
People need to monitor Sakurai and have that much of an influence on the way he makes his own game? It's published on a Nintendo console, but Sakurai doesn't have to follow some strict Nintendo Code of Law about how to "represent things properly". (Inaccuracies about information should be looked into, though.)

Honestly, Mother isn't that big of a series. Two characters is enough, and you're lucky to have that much. Donkey Kong not being represented enough? There's Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, and they've been the main characters for a while, but villains have suddenly become "mandatory". Samus is pretty much the only protagonist in the Metroid series, but once again, villains are suddenly "mandatory".

What am I trying to say? Some people think that Sakurai leaving out one or two characters from certain series warrants his exclusion from directing Smash. Something's wrong with that. I mean, seriously?

D

Deleted member

You forget his animal friends and helpers, (Ricky and Knuckle Joe hello). ;D
You're kidding, thankfully. :laugh:

Ridley, Goroh, K. Rool, Ganondorf w/ Sword... they must be in next time, as all the big ones are already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom