• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I don't know if I'd prefer magnetized edges like they are now, or the ability for the tether recover to cling onto any part of the stage. I'm imagining Zero Suit Samus using Plasma Wire below Final Destination to get to the other side safely a'la Tarzan vine swinging, and being able to cling on to avoid bombs in SUDDEN DEATH!

magnetized edges are the way to go, even if it makes some characters broken, as for Samus using her Plasma Wire on FD just to avoid bombs sounds like a good strategic move for me.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman

magnetized edges are the may to go, even if it makes some characters broken, as for Samus using her Plasma Wire on FD just to avoid bombs sounds like a good strategic move for me.
Yeah, I mean-- the worst thing to do is pummel an opponent off stage, trying to recover after, but you pass the edge of the stage, resulting in a SD since it doesn't latch onto the ledge if you pass the ledge while there are characters with five jumps, like Meta Knight, in them that can just turn around and make it safely.

Now that I think about this, Zero Suit Samus would gain the most out of this mechanic, but I was thinking about it in general. Due to how Final Destination's stage curves past the edge, if anyone like Samus, Sheik, Link, Lucas, and on were to use their tether recovery, they can use it as a hang mechanism as well if they pass the magnetized ledge, but not resulting as good as Zero Suit Samus' since she has the Plasma Wire that goes directly up.

Mebbe directing the Z-Grab would fix that.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
How about Yoshi gets a tether grab with his tongue at least? <_<

And I like magnet ledges.

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
They should add final fantasy characters to the next game. Have people like Cloud and Sephiroth, squall and Seifer. THey be good to start of with. Perhaps some Kingdom Hearts characters as well such as Sora and Roxas

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
They should add final fantasy characters to the next game. Have people like Cloud and Sephiroth, squall and Seifer. THey be good to start of with. Perhaps some Kingdom Hearts characters as well such as Sora and Roxas
RAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGE
RAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGERAGE

Lets make fun of this guys list, shall we?

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
For what. I dont see whats to make fun of. Its who I think should be in the next game so go ahead and criticize it idiot

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
For what. I dont see whats to make fun of. Its who I think should be in the next game so go ahead and criticize it idiot
I wasnt talking about your list, click the words.

Oh yeah, but Seifer, Squall, and Roxas have never been on a Nintendo console....

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

umm.. I know Final Fantasy is really cool and all, but unfortunetly, neither Cloud, Sephiroph, Squall or Seifer will ever be in Smash, I know this sucks, but this is due to the fact that they've never been on a Nintendo System, well except for Cloud but he was just a Cameo in a handheld game.

as for Sora well I don't see why not, but like I mentioned Cloud, he's only been in a handheld system, but who know...

D

Deleted member

If any Final Fantasy characters will appear, they'll be from FFIV or FFVI. More likely the former, as FFIV was recently remade for the DS. Certainly, though, characters from PS1, PS2 and PS3 / Xbox 360 editions will never appear in Smash. Never.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
If any Final Fantasy characters will appear, they'll be from FFIV or FFVI. More likely the former, as FFIV was recently remade for the DS. Certainly, though, characters from PS1, PS2 and PS3 / Xbox 360 editions will never appear in Smash. Never.
If a FF rep gets in, I can imagine it would be the the Warrior of Light from the original FF.

Or a moogle.

Or even a Chocobo.

D

Deleted member

If a FF rep gets in, I can imagine it would be the the Warrior of Light from the original FF.

Or a moogle.

Or even a Chocobo.
Those seem like candidates for an assist trophy. It has been far too long for an FFI-III character to show up as a full member of the roster, being that the games lack a genuinely good story or fanbase. Same goes for FFV, I suppose - the in-between game that nobody liked.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Yeah, seing as they have appeared on a Nintendo platform. (3 on 3 anyone?)
No, no, no! This is beyond fail, seriously.
That link is more like genius trolling.

And the warrior of light is the first FF character, appearing on the first FF game.

@Daddy
FF1 is the original, it gets props.

And I liek FF5 D:

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
That link is more like genius trolling.
I meant the people responding and how there were no active mods in the GBD until the last post >.<

The addition of Final Fantasy characters sounds nice but I wonder how they will fit in with the rest of the smash crew?
Nintendo can make it happen. Heck, they made Captain Falcon and Snake into viable characters, that's an accomplishment on its own...

D

Deleted member

Cecil, from FFIV, would play much like Ike, but with Mewtwo esque, psychic abilities. There could even be a light / dark knight switch in his moveset.

However you spin it, generic guy from FFI isn't going to be a character. He has no personality.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Darkwashu said:
Lets make fun of this guys list, shall we?
Leon, hm? Okay, I can dig it. Megaman, yup yup. Uh, Zero...maybe. Probably not, but it's not that far out there...

...Hmm. Well, when I get to a character whom I simply don't recognize beyond the fact that he's a Megaman character, we're in trouble. BEN TENNYSON HOLY SH*T I CAN'T BELIEVE SOMEONE ELSE ACTUALLY WANTED THAT

Dante would be sweet, but impossible. lolmasterchief. Cloud looks more sexually ambiguous in that picture than usual. That Tifa picture's actually the cover of a hentai manga (and not a very good one, at that). Okay, so as neat as Sanji and Luffy would be, it ain't happening doo too "t3h rulez". That fanart is so horrible I can't tell which Naruto character that is. Jak and Daxter are both stupid characters.

The End...

...for now. Clever.

Tyfighter said:
No, no, no! This is beyond fail, seriously.
...Actually, that was epic win.

"BRICKS TODAY ARE OVER RATED THEY JUST DONT GET THE JOB DINE PLUS THEY COST TOO MUCH THEREFORE I IMPROVISE BY THROWING MY CRAP AT PEOPLES HEADS LIKE YOURS"

That was amazing.

Smash Daddy said:
However you spin it, generic guy from FFI isn't going to be a character. He has no personality.
Not after Dissidia. He actually plays a sizable role in that game's plot. I'm not advocating said plot, because personally I think it's a ridiculous, overblown idea, but really...just sayin'.

And I fully support Sora as a Square-Enix rep. That said, I doubt we'll see one at all, but if we did, he has the best chances, unless Square-Enix remakes FFVI on the DS or Crystal Chronicles Wii blows me out of the water or something.

D

Deleted member

Not after Dissidia. He actually plays a sizable role in that game's plot. I'm not advocating said plot, because personally I think it's a ridiculous, overblown idea, but really...just sayin'.

And I fully support Sora as a Square-Enix rep. That said, I doubt we'll see one at all, but if we did, he has the best chances, unless Square-Enix remakes FFVI on the DS or Crystal Chronicles Wii blows me out of the water or something.
I really doubt Sora will be in, with his Playstation roots. He would be a cool character to have - likely having a decent moveset - but he won't get in over others that have bigger fanbases. With FFIV now on DS, we may see FFVI (god forbid, with the 'chibi' style of FFIV), which would entice Squeenix to push Locke / Terra / Celes / Kefka / whoever.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I really doubt Sora will be in, with his Playstation roots. He would be a cool character to have - likely having a decent moveset - but he won't get in over others that have bigger fanbases. With FFIV now on DS, we may see FFVI (god forbid, with the 'chibi' style of FFIV), which would entice Squeenix to push Locke / Terra / Celes / Kefka / whoever.
The problem I've always had with Final Fantasy characters specifically is picking just one of them.

Technically Terra's the main character of VI...but almost every other character has just as much, if not more importance than her. And then there's Kefka, one of the best antagonists in RPG history. How do you pick just one? It's not as much of an issue in IV...but I doubt they'd use that game anyway...though that brings up the argument of "how do you pick just one Final Fantasy?"

Kingdom Hearts has the advantage here, since it has a clear and defined protagonist, and is one continuous story, rather than a series of unrelated adventures.

EDIT - I feel like I've argued about Square-Enix reps with you before, way back before Brawl came out. Does that ring a bell?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Sora is meh. Crono for Square-Enix rep, if we even get one... Who knows, with the DS Chrono Trigger and all...

gantrain05

Smash Master
Cecil, from FFIV, would play much like Ike, but with Mewtwo esque, psychic abilities. There could even be a light / dark knight switch in his moveset.

oh yeah, and R.O.B. has a ton of personality......black mage would have been a better choice than rob imo.
and as for a square enix rep, sora would be kinda dumb i think, plus its half disney anyways and who wants that. chrono would be badass, but so would locke from FF6 i think.

D

Deleted member

The problem I've always had with Final Fantasy characters specifically is picking just one of them.

Technically Terra's the main character of VI...but almost every other character has just as much, if not more importance than her. And then there's Kefka, one of the best antagonists in RPG history. How do you pick just one? It's not as much of an issue in IV...but I doubt they'd use that game anyway...though that brings up the argument of "how do you pick just one Final Fantasy?"
Well, as I presumed, Square will have a say in who is in the next Smash - if there is one and Square even considers their likenesses partake - at which point, they will be looking to push whichever characters are prominent in newly-released games. Then they'll look at the fanbases behind each character. So, if FFVI were to be remade around this imaginary Smash's development time, we'd probably see Kefka in there, or/and another.

Unless Square had a say in it, I don't see Sakurai having a problem with a lone third-party, as he didn't with Sonic or Snake.

Kingdom Hearts has the advantage here, since it has a clear and defined protagonist, and is one continuous story, rather than a series of unrelated adventures.
You could say the same about FFIV with Cecil, as he is the undoubted main character, with his appearance in a mobile-only sequel (which will surely reach handhelds). Sora has only appeared in one Nintendo game, which, I think, is on the DS... if KH3 is on Wii - like Disney wants - sure, Sora could be in Smash. If not, it's unlikely, no matter how suitable he is.

EDIT - I feel like I've argued about Square-Enix reps with you before, way back before Brawl came out. Does that ring a bell?
Yes, I remember you from way back also... I haven't posted in a while, due to my account screwing up. I'm glad to see you still post. :chuckle:

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
SirKibble said:
Sora is meh. Crono for Square-Enix rep, if we even get one... Who knows, with the DS Chrono Trigger and all...
There's that too. I'd be more receptive of the idea if Square was actually putting any amount of effort into the DS "remake".

gantrain05 said:
plus its half disney anyways and who wants that
ME!

Seriously, who doesn't like Disney?

Smash Daddy said:
Unless Square had a say in it, I don't see Sakurai having a problem with a lone third-party, as he didn't with Sonic or Snake.
Well yeah, but in those two cases, it's pretty obvious who to pick from the Metal Geat and Sonic franchises.

But the only real "icons" of FF are Chocobos, and maybe Moogles, and nobody wants them as PCs.

with his appearance in a mobile-only sequel
The what now? O.o

Sora has only appeared in one Nintendo game, which, I think, is on the DS... if KH3 is on Wii - like Disney wants - sure, Sora could be in Smash.
He was in Chain of Memories on the GBA, and will probably show up somewhere along the line in 358/2 Days, the DS game.

But yeah, the majority of KH games are PlayStation exclusives (KH, KH2, Birth by Sleep). I really hope KH3 is on a Ninty system.

Yes, I remember you from way back also... I haven't posted in a while, due to my account screwing up. I'm glad to see you still post.
I was absent for basically the entire school year, only returning around June.

Things have changed, but I still find this place to be the best place to talk about Smash Bros. videogames. :bee:

klapaucius

Smash Apprentice
About the transforming characters--it wouldn't add much more in the way of moves than items like the Beam Sword. Ganondorf's special would be slightly different, and his A-moves would become his Beam Sword moves, except without the added range. Only Mario's specials would change, et cetera.
This could also make it possible to play as clones which otherwise wouldn't get their own spot on the roster: Mr. L and Shadow Queen especially.

And characters like Zelda and PT wouldn't get added movesets, being that they have them already. But their transformations would be mapped to a taunt instead, allowing for down-B moves, like veryone else.

Well, as I presumed, Square will have a say in who is in the next Smash - if there is one and Square even considers their likenesses partake - at which point, they will be looking to push whichever characters are prominent in newly-released games. Then they'll look at the fanbases behind each character. So, if FFVI were to be remade around this imaginary Smash's development time, we'd probably see Kefka in there, or/and another.
If Final Fantasy characters do show up, I'd bet strongly that the most likely candidate would be, you know, that one character from the one FF that is a hundred times more popular than the others. And a mage would be rather cool--his specials would be the three elemental attacks, plus another.

Also: I would really like to see Capcom characters in SSB4. Mega Man and Okami (and if they have Okami, Wolf Link isn't far off...)

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
Hey I just think of a good third party character and if you guys agree this is who I think could fit.

Rayman.

Anyone like him.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
There's that too. I'd be more receptive of the idea if Square was actually putting any amount of effort into the DS "remake".
No kidding. I'd love that. Even more, I'd love an entirely new game, but featuring at least most of the same cast of playable characters. But yeah, I'd settle for Chrono Trigger to get revamped and improved, rather than just ported to the DS.

Also: I would really like to see Capcom characters in SSB4. Mega Man and Okami (and if they have Okami, Wolf Link isn't far off...)
MegaMan and Viewtiful Joe is more like it.

Henshin-a-go-go, baby!

rexinator

Smash Apprentice
This is my move list for (even though it won't happen) Darth Vader:

ATTACKS

A: lightsaber slash
side A: stronger lightsaber slash
side AA: double lightsaber slash
side AAA: double lightsaber slash+lightsaber uppercut
dashing A: lightsaber stab
up A: lightsaber stab up
down A: stabs the ground diagonally
up air: lightsaber slash up
side air: thrusting kick
reverse air: backwards thrusting kick
down air: lightsaber stab down to the ground

side smash: small force push
up smash: small force push up
down smash: crouch and small force push to the left and right

GRABS

grab: normal grab
grab attack: smack with lightsaber
throw side: standard throw
throw up: medium force push up
throw down: puts enemy on ground and stabs with lightsaber

SPECIALS

side: BIG force push: hold the special button to charge it up for a more powerful blast

normal: force choke: chokes the people within its range for 3 seconds and pushes the victims back in a small force push

up: BIG force pull: pulls victims down at a very high speed (recovory for this move pulls vader to a ledge)

down: force lighting shock-wave: shoots out a shock-wave of lightning on the ground in both directions

FINAL SMASH

ELECTRIC LIGHTSABER THROW: vader jumps off the stage onto a small ledge that appears and throws his lightsaber with lighting coursing through it which is controled by his force grip and goes anywhere on the screen (just like sonic and pikachu's final smashes but with a lightsaber)

ENTRANCE

two stormtroopers stand in solute as vader fades in between them

THE END

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
About the transforming characters--it wouldn't add much more in the way of moves than items like the Beam Sword. Ganondorf's special would be slightly different, and his A-moves would become his Beam Sword moves, except without the added range. Only Mario's specials would change, et cetera.
This could also make it possible to play as clones which otherwise wouldn't get their own spot on the roster: Mr. L and Shadow Queen especially.
But see...why not just make alt. outfits for those characters? What you're proposing is similar to the different Grooves or -isms of certain 2D Capcom fighting games, but Smash Bros. is a much more complicated game to make, so I think more mileage would come out of alt. outfits than "secondary movesets".

If Final Fantasy characters do show up, I'd bet strongly that the most likely candidate would be, you know, that one character from the one FF that is a hundred times more popular than the others.
AKA Cloud Strife.

Also: I would really like to see Capcom characters in SSB4. Mega Man and Okami Amaterasu (and if they have Okami Amaterasu, Wolf Link isn't far off...)
Capcom has a ridiculous amount of awesome, fitting, super-deserving characters, which makes it stupidly hard to pick just one. They're like the complete opposite of Square-Enix. :laugh:

If Ammy was in the game though, that would actually lessen Wolf Link's already dismal chances, I think. He just couldn't compare to what she'd bring to the table.

EDIT - Wow, that 'Vader moveset is almost as good as the infamous Fierce Deity Link. But for future reference, rexinator, movesets go here.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
New dungeons? Expanded story? WHAT!?

But the only real "icons" of FF are Chocobos, and maybe Moogles, and nobody wants them as PCs.
Black Mageeeee, seriously, who wouldn't want to play as a Black Mage?

But yeah, the majority of KH games are PlayStation exclusives (KH, KH2, Birth by Sleep). I really hope KH3 is on a Ninty system.
I really doubt Sora's chances over any other un-generic Square character. Why Sora and not Cecil, Cloud, or Terra? Nintendo would have to work deals with not only Square, but Disney too. Sora doesn't belong to Square-- but all his abilities do. He is what you call, an "original Disney character".

Also, side note, about Capcom. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 seems like it's going to be made. Only game I would consider blowing SSB4 off is MvC3.
DANTE, APOLLO JUSTICE, SOKI, LEON, ZERO, ZAC & WIKI, RED ARRMERER, TESSA
PHOENIX, JOHNNY THE HUMAN TORCH, PUNISHER, BLACK CAT, THOR, ELEKTRA, DARE DEVIL

D

Deleted member

The character wouldn't necessarily have to be an 'icon' to be in the game. Few characters are... and with abstract characters in the Final Fantasy series, you're going to upset people whoever you pick. Thus, I don't see Squeenix minding what the fanbase thinks, over what their business mind thinks. New... er... recycled meat wins, if FFVI is remade to clash (not too badly) with Smash 4.

The what now? O.o
Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. Link here.

He was in Chain of Memories on the GBA, and will probably show up somewhere along the line in 358/2 Days, the DS game.

Ah, I'm sorry to have been so wrong. Yet, your clarifications hardly enfuse me with enthusiasm. The main titles are on the Playstation, which is a win-lose for Nintendo-Squeenix.

As far as KH goes... to be continued. They haven't been supporting the Wii at all well so far. I see KH3 becoming a PS3-exclusive / PS3 and Xbox 360 title.

I was absent for basically the entire school year, only returning around June.

Things have changed, but I still find this place to be the best place to talk about Smash Bros. videogames. :bee:
Still, cool that I bump into one person I remember. The school year just started for me, unfortunately. Escaping to here will hopefully ease the stress.

If Final Fantasy characters do show up, I'd bet strongly that the most likely candidate would be, you know, that one character from the one FF that is a hundred times more popular than the others. And a mage would be rather cool--his specials would be the three elemental attacks, plus another.

Firstly, Cloud isn't going to be in a Smash game, ever. Get it out of your thoughts, as it will simply never, ever, ever, ever happen. FFVII was a PS1 game, he was in the PS1's (Japanese) version of Smash (E- something) and Sony would throw a tantrum if they found out he was in.

Black Mage would be cool and is possible, I would love to see him in. Mega Man, too, would be awesome. However, with Brawl's roster how it is, Sakurai may not find enough space for the two, with some Nintendo characters - that were desperately wanted in - not recieved.

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
If this helps fuel pro-Cloud arguments. Cloud is the second most popular Japanese character ever, behind Mario.

WE FINALLY HAVE AN OFFICIAL SQUARE MASCOT THAT ISN'T FURRY, GREEN, OR FEATHERED.

Also-- a personal opinion, but I honestly think Yoda would have a higher chance than Vader. Starfox's new stage in Brawl made me realize that having a stage like that with the Death Star in the background, with Tie Fighters and Airwings, with Couriscant and so fourth in the background would be cash.

IMAGINE THE SOUNDTRACK THEY'D USE WITH REMIXED TUNES!
Mario with Beam Sword vs. Yoda.

rexinator

Smash Apprentice
If this helps fuel pro-Cloud arguments. Cloud is the second most popular Japanese character ever, behind Mario.

WE FINALLY HAVE AN OFFICIAL SQUARE MASCOT THAT ISN'T FURRY, GREEN, OR FEATHERED.

Also-- a personal opinion, but I honestly think Yoda would have a higher chance than Vader. Starfox's new stage in Brawl made me realize that having a stage like that with the Death Star in the background, with Tie Fighters and Airwings, with Couriscant and so fourth in the background would be cash.

IMAGINE THE SOUNDTRACK THEY'D USE WITH REMIXED TUNES!
Mario with Beam Sword vs. Yoda.
I just thought vader would be cooler moveset to make than yoda. But I DO want yoda in the game also as a rep.

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
Scorpion

Hey I know it's impossible for Scorpion to appear. But I did make a moveset for him. here it is.

Scorpion

ATTACKS

A: Ridge Hand
side A: Ninja Sword Slash
side AA: Twisting Fist
side AAA: Head Strike
dashing A: Front Thrust Kick
up A: Low Heel Kick
down A: Stepping Heel Kick
up air: Ninja Sword Slash Up
down air: Axe Kick
reverse air: Wing Chop
side air: Chest Strike

side smash: Open Palm Strike
up smash: Upside Kick
down smash: Snap Kick

GRABS:

grab: normal grab
grab attack: smacks with Ninja Sword
throw side: normal throw
throw up: kicks hard
throw down: slams ground

SPECIALS:

Standard B: Bloody Spear - Scorpion throws out his spear and if it gets a hold of someone he pulls them back saying "GET OVER HERE!"

Up B: Teleport Attack - Teleporting behind his opponent he connects with a punch

Side B: Backflip Kick - Scorpion performs a backflip kick followed by a trail of fire

Down B: Hellfire - Scorpion summons the fires of Hell to burn his opponent from underneath

FINAL SMASH:

Netherrealm: Scorpion turns the whole stage into the Netherrealm and it burns the Characters except for Scorpion for 20 seconds before the stage turns back to normal.

ENTRANCE:

Scorpion comes in by throwing his spear to the ground and pulls him there.

TAUNT:

Scorpion takes out his spear and throws it and pulls the screen to him saying "GET OVER HERE!"

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
Cool thing about a Jedi is that perhaps any of their attacks can deflect enemy projectiles with standard attacks with the light saber. A little nice easter egg like Link has with his shield or Ness' home-run bat.

Yoda could have abilities that could consist of saber throwing, force wave, force push, force jump, meditating(?). He could give Meta Knight a run for his money. c:

Thing about characters from pre-existing fighting games is that it's hard to incorporate them into the game since they already have moves-- not only that, but they require a strict command to do certain moves in those games. I mean, I love Street Fighter and Soul Calibur, but I can't see them putting a real fighter in there.

That reason knocks down a lot of Capcom hopefuls, which makes Megaman stand out from the rest of the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom