• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Why the heck are people already talking about a fourth SSBB?
Because we can.

I mean, ever since March people have been *****ing about Brawl's every flaw and how it could be better.
And likewise people have been complaining about the complaints. Isn't the irony thick? Besides, any game could be better. What's wrong with us discussing how?

Brawl's onl been out for six months and people won't quit their crying.
Five, actually, and people will never stop complaining about things. It's human nature. Get used to it. Again I'd like to point out the ever-thick irony of your statements.

Geez, people. Learn to appreciate this game, or go back to Melee.
Believe it or not, a lot of us who are in here discussing SSB4 love Brawl, and do appreciate it very much. But that doesn't mean the next game can't be even better.

Brawl is a great game, and online play is in it, even if it is laggy. It was put in there.
While I do like that the game has WiFi capabilities, your logic is highly flawed. Say I am making you a sandwich. You want a nice, plain, normal ham and cheese sandwich. Now say I put ham and cheese on this sandwich, and then throw it in a 10,000 degree oven for half an hour, and then give it to you. You have a sandwich, I gave it to you. Are you now satisfied?

Also, Brawl's slogan is "The Brawl to end it all". I don't think they're talking about the SSE either.
I get soooooo tired of this one. It's "the Brawl to end them all," first of all. So as long as the next game is not called "Super Smash Bros. Brawl Again," then it's not another Brawl. Problem solved!

And even if there were to be a fourth SSB to come out, we still have a good six years to kill on Brawl, so quit your whining people.
Speculations, hopes, expectations, ideas, and the like are hardly comparable to whining. We're just discussing how we think the game could be better. If you don't like it, don't come in here and be a part of it, but some of us enjoy this.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
That it would. I'm still confused about this whole priority decay thing.

Maybe the priority decay rate will vary for characters. Just by going from Brawl, MK would have the highest decay rate and Ganondorf has the lowest rate.
Actually, you would mean Meta would have a low PD limit and Ganondorf would have a high PD limit. Attacks would have their own PD rates since some of them can still be abusive. Like Meta Knight's tornado. But most likely, most attacks would have a PD rate of 2 or 3 based on the character.

What's the average number of attacks per stock anyway, including misses? And how about per minute as well? Ideally, we want to make sure the Mario value is at least (perhaps a little more than) twice as much as the first question's answer. (Though maybe the PD value should be quartered instead of reset upon respawning.) The intent of the concept would be to simply tone down overpowered characters.

As for the concept idea, imagine you're Meta Knight's size and you're attacking with that sword, which is more like a claymore about the same volume as your body, with one arm. To do that for long, with a bunch of quick attacks, without burning yourself out, you would need to have enough power in your arm to make Ike look like the local school wimp. Obviously, that's not going to happen. Now imagine trying to swing said sword without too much difficulty after tiring yourself. You probably can't provide as much power to force your way through the opponent's own attack as you could before.

You should get the picture, I hope.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Good people of this forum, I have returned(three cheers for weekends)! Since Stealth309 seems to be the man of the hour, I'll have to go along.
Why the heck are people already talking about a fourth SSBB? I mean, ever since March people have been *****ing about Brawl's every flaw and how it could be better. Brawl's onl been out for six months and people won't quit their crying.
Wow, we should totally listen to this guy and stop thinking about everything we would like to see, right? I mean, we all know how dreams and hopes pollute your mind! Also, when I see waterworks on this thread, I'll notify you.
Geez, people. Learn to appreciate this game, or go back to Melee. Brawl is a great game, and online play is in it, even if it is laggy.
So now we have to be opinionless bricks? Keep it up, man, keep it up. Also, as I believe Herr Kibble already mentioned, we love the game, but want to see it evolve into a Blastoise. One more thing: WiFi for Nintendo is ridiculously bad. The worst part is that it's quite hard to improve.
It was put in there. Also, Brawl's slogan is "The Brawl to end it all". I don't think they're talking about the SSE either. And even if there were to be a fourth SSB to come out, we still have a good six years to kill on Brawl, so quit your whining people.
The Brawl to end them all. Not the Smash to end them all. And, as previously mentioned, he intends to continue the series if Nintendo does. Smash is Nintendo's best series. They will not give up on it for at least another 8 years. Nobody is whining. They present ideas, we share our input on it. Simple, is it not?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I think those are the most likely ones. Those are the two I'm hoping for.

With some luck, with the DS remake of Chrono Trigger, maybe we could get Crono. That would be cool, but somehow I doubt it'll happen.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Why the heck are people already talking about a fourth SSBB? I mean, ever since March people have been *****ing about Brawl's every flaw and how it could be better. Brawl's onl been out for six months and people won't quit their crying. Geez, people. Learn to appreciate this game, or go back to Melee. Brawl is a great game, and online play is in it, even if it is laggy. It was put in there. Also, Brawl's slogan is "The Brawl to end it all". I don't think they're talking about the SSE either. And even if there were to be a fourth SSB to come out, we still have a good six years to kill on Brawl, so quit your whining people.
LOL, just wanted to quote it again.

Brawl for SSB4!

They should probably have more than just adding 10 more characters and some more third parties as well...
But of course. The next Smash, as with all previous Smashes, will not just be about adding more characters (to "balance" representatives or what-not). Leave it to Masahiro Sakurai and friends to throw us for a loop.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Few ideas...

Counter Hit State
If you hit your opponent in the middle of an attack, they will enter counter hit state. In this state, your opponent suffers one of the following depending on the attack.

- Increased hitstun
- Untechable knockdown
- Getting "popped up" into the air for an easy combo

It wouldn't affect damage or knockback. This is just an idea.

Why it would work:
Makes people think more about their attacks and being more unpredictable. Gives someone with good prediction the advantage as a reward. Fosters smart play and enables a decent level of comboing.

Why it wouldn't work:
Smash's mechanics and ohysics make it hard to implement. Could encourage camping in characters with projectiles and high priority attacks. Considering how the defensive game works in Smash, almost every hit is already a counter hit, so this seems superfluous and unneeded.

Shield Parry
A defensive move based on Third Strike's parry and Soul Caliber's Guard Impact. Press B while shielding to perform a parry animation. If you are hit while it is out, your opponent will be momentarily stunned. The move would only be out for a few frames and leaves you vulnerable if missed. Another penalty for missing would be loss of some of your shield.

Why it would work: A high risk - high reward defensive move that can open the door to go on the offensive. Penalties for missing prevent mindless spamming. Fosters smart play and encourages a skill-based competitive game.

Why it wouldn't work: Could make the game way too defensive and camp friendly. We already have powershielding.

Air Throw
Press Z in midair when your opponent is nearby to grab them and toss them away at a 45 degree angle. Works on airdodging opponents.

Why it would work: Beats airdodges. Provides anti-defensive tactics in midair.

Why it wouldn't work: What about the z-air? Perhaps makes edgeguarding a bit broken? May be difficult to balance between characters. Makes going into the air unsafe, essentially crippling the air game.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
I can imagine Air Throwing being used cheaply.

How about LESS counters?
We have to many of those, I could think of a new move for Ike and Lucario, Marf im OK with him using it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If you want less counters, have Toad be a projectile. Peach takes out Toad and he runs forward, flailing his arms, having a slight "piplup effect" and acting as a wall like Dedede's Waddle Dees.
Try saying that ten times fast.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Try saying that ten times fast.
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees

Roihu

Smash Ace
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
Dedede's Waddle Dees
You typed it. He said say it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Ideally, all of them. I thought that Brawl had good stages overall. I also want Saffron City and Hyrule Temple to return from SSB64.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Ideally, all of them. I thought that Brawl had good stages overall. I also want Saffron City and Hyrule Temple to return from SSB64.
no no no, all EXCEPT for the stupid mario bros battle level, with the pipes and koopas and **** coming out, its gay, fox can like sit on the bottom corner and fire his blaster and pull out wins by blasting turtles into the other guy, well, the stage could stay, but i still hate it lol.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Yeah they should do past stages from all of the Smash games. And stage editor needs to have added;

1. Background objects just for scenery
2. Target test/race to finish/board the platform stage build options
3. Make your own online practice stage
4. Use images from SD card as backgrounds
5. Moving stage options (like port town or delfino plaza)
6. Scrolling stage options (ex. rumble falls)
7. Doors for custom story mode stages
8. Ability to use your own music
9. MORE PARTS

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
no no no, all EXCEPT for the stupid mario bros battle level, with the pipes and koopas and **** coming out, its gay, fox can like sit on the bottom corner and fire his blaster and pull out wins by blasting turtles into the other guy, well, the stage could stay, but i still hate it lol.
All of that is an opinion. During the .1% of the time that I play Brawl casually, I love that stage. Pretty fun, in my opinion.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If Adventure mode doesn't fail next time, they should take the Mushroomy Kingdom stage and make it a level.

Really, the only reasons I even played SSE was to get the characters, try to enjoy it, and make a kickass GMV.

I could honestly care less about how many characters they add to Brawl. I just wish they would work on the game play mechanics. It's possible to make the game competitive and easy to access if they wanted to do so.

Shielding mechanics

Shield stun Mechanic: When an opponent attacks a shield, it gives a set amount of "knock back" on a shield, thus pushing the character back. The characters should have increased knock back on their shields based on how big their shield is. If their shields are at full, the knock back should be minimal and neutral. If the shield is at mid size, the knock back per hit will increase. If the shield is small and on the verge of breaking, characters will move back more dramatically, and the opponent won't be able to drop the shield immediately mid stun. Each level of shield stun could be both beneficial and dangerous:

High Shields

Positives:

-Makes Shield grabbing easier
-Punishes opponents who doesn't properly space
-Allows more options such as aerials out of shield
-Shield stun isn't dramatic enough to throw off your defensive game

Negatives:

-Escaping an opponent who applies shield pressure would be more difficult
-Shield stun is moderate
-Isn't good against a projectile based opponent.

Benefits:

-Players who doesn't abuse shield camping
-Responsive players

Mid Shields

Positives:

-Shield stun spaces the character, allowing the opponent to space pokes or aerials out of shield
-Possible to avoid shield pressure or spot dodge after stun.
-projectile spacing

Negatives:

-Can't bait shield grabs
-Gives the opponent space too

Benefits:

-Defensive players
-Appropriate spacing and timing

Low Shields

Positives:

-Gives great space between you and your opponent
-Supports projectile camping and making the opponent more aggressive.

Negatives:

-Heavy stun before shield drops
-Can cause a shield break from heavy hits
-Bad against players who can space.

Benefits:

-Camping

More to come later:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is a question from a new interview with Keiji Inafune:

7) Do you think we'll ever see Mega Man in a Smash Brothers game?

KI: That is probably a question better suited for Nintendo than for Capcom. If they were to ask, I see no reason to say no. We'll see what happens.

So yeah, if Nintendo just asks for Mega Man to be in Smash Bros. then he would most likely be in it.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I don't really think Megaman would fit, but hey, Sonic did. I was repulsed when I saw him on my character select screen....

Now, if I wanted Lara Croft to be in, I'd have to vote for Megaman, too.

I mean I think she'd be perfect.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
She actually wouldn't. She has no popularity anymore and has never had a major game on a Nintendo console.

Like, all Megaman games were for Nintendo consoles. Megaman has a much higher chance than she does, just like Sonic had a much higher chance than Megaman. Now that Sonic is out of the way though...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
plus she didn't originate as a videogame character. although we don't know the criteria will be the same this time around.

and kinda off topic, but @skylerocon, is skyler your real name? just curious. (if i can find someone else named skyler, my friend (also skyler) owes me 5$ :))

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
For the sake of scamming your friend, my name is Skyler.

Also, she did originate from video games. The Tomb Rader movies was just the exception to the rule that movies based off of games suck.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I don't really think Megaman would fit, but hey, Sonic did. I was repulsed when I saw him on my character select screen....

Now, if I wanted Lara Croft to be in, I'd have to vote for Megaman, too.

I mean I think she'd be perfect.
Lol, how can you say Megaman "wouldn't fit", sure I can understand since he's 3rd party, but overall he out of any 3rd party charcter would make the most sense, so I don't see why you would mention that.

as for Lara Croft, well i'm never really been a fan of her's but seeing as she's hot in the newer games, I guess it wouldn't be so bad.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I can't think of anyone I want to see more in the next Smash than MegaMan. He'd be a completely unique character, he's a freaking gaming icon, and he's had so many Nintendo games it's not funny. The hardest part about putting MegaMan in is which MegaMan gets in? Or is it a combination, as far as moves go? I mean, any of us can say "Classic Mega FTW" or "MegaMan X FTW" or whatever, but really, it's not like we can base this all on our personal opinion. Which MegaMan gets in?

D

Deleted member

Original Megaman Ftw. He was practically the original.

Though the X version is wwwaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy cooler though.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I can't think of anyone I want to see more in the next Smash than MegaMan.
Simon Belmont
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe
Simon Belmont
Simon Belmont
Viewtiful Joe
Sheeda
Viewtiful Joe
Simon Belmont
Megaman

In that order. :bee:

...Oh wait, you were talking about who you wanted to see in...

The hardest part about putting MegaMan in is which MegaMan gets in? Or is it a combination, as far as moves go? I mean, any of us can say "Classic Mega FTW" or "MegaMan X FTW" or whatever, but really, it's not like we can base this all on our personal opinion. Which MegaMan gets in?
The "original" Megaman is still Capcom's mascot, so I think that'd be the one they'd pick. Especially after Megaman 9 makes him to most recent (though the future will probably change that).

flyinfilipino said:
What could Lara Croft do anyway (without her guns)?
Sex the other characters off the stage

Nothing. She's a dumb character in her own games, and has no right being (even though of) in Smash Bros..

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
^^ get into a catfight with Zero-Suit Zamus xD

but on topic, I guess she would use her basic kicks or punches or any other weapons she might use. though it really doesn't matter since I could care less if she gets in or not.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master

Nothing. She's a dumb character in her own games, and has no right being (even though of) in Smash Bros..
^^ get into a catfight with Zero-Suit Zamus xD

but on topic, I guess she would use her basic kicks or punches or any other weapons she might use. though it really doesn't matter since I could care less if she gets in or not.
That sounds kinda meh. Ooh, I know! Isn't there a glitch that makes her explode in one of the games? That would be a cool attack.

D

Deleted member

Simon Belmont
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe
Simon Belmont
Simon Belmont
Viewtiful Joe
Sheeda
Viewtiful Joe
Simon Belmont
Megaman

In that order. :bee:

...Oh wait, you were talking about who you wanted to see in...

The "original" Megaman is still Capcom's mascot, so I think that'd be the one they'd pick. Especially after Megaman 9 makes him to most recent (though the future will probably change that).

Sheeda sucks dude.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
That would be my hope, and I think that makes the most sense as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom