• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Jigglypuff's not going anywhere. Lucario, however, is a different story.
NO. Taking out Lucario is like taking out Mewtwo. You know how many people were disappointed when Mewtwo left? Lucario has fans too, and he's an actual good character. My preference is, just add Mewtwo, and call it a day for pokemon.

As for other franchises... NO MORE STAR FOX. I know people love it, but it already has 3 reps, which is one more than Metroid, a series with twice as many games, got. People will get angry if Falco's removed, and Wolf is a unique and awesome character. Keep the Star Fox at three.

Give Zelda more. They didn't get a single real new character in Brawl, so they need it. Mario just needs one more, since Yoshi and Wario kind of count. Captain Syrup is a must for Wario.

PUT IN MORE METROID REPS. Metroid only has two characters, and one of them is a minor costume of the main character that only predominately featured in one game. Add Ridley, Mother Brain (She could get in, you just have to think creatively. Look at ROB!), or Dark Samus (Any moron who's played MP2 and MP3 knows she wouldn't be a clone. Seriously, she only LOOKS a lot like Samus. Her attacks are very different.).

Put in more retro and new franchise characters. Little Mac and Ray Mk are first choice. Isaac is another great one.

Oh, and make Landmaster a character. His final smash is LANDMASTER!!!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
SirKibble said:
If they add Megaman, regardless of which model/series he's based off of, they better include some Megaman X songs. That was the most eargasmic game ever. Storm Eagle's stage theme is widely considered the best, though personally I'm a fan of Launch Octopus's Subterranean Base theme.
Personally my favorite Megaman soundtrack is Megaman 2's. Although there are a few other things I wouldn't mind hearing in a Smash Bros. game...

teen-robot said:
guess what ?
TRIDENT OF POWER!
Guess what?
YOU ARE AWESOME

However, Bellum is simply not an option. He's easily the worst Zelda villain out there. Aganihm would be a better choice, even...

---

KoJ, you put up a moveset for somebody a page or two back. As you're new here, you might not know this, but there's a set place for those--the Make Your Moveset thread, right here in the General Brawl Discussion forum.

Check it out.

Spire

III
BRoomer
1) Jigglypuff is part of the original 12. Taking her out would be like a Christian burning the bible, renouncing god, then going to the bathroom on the church door.
I could see that happening. Some religions/churches can be a little too pressing. I'd like to see Jigglypuff drop a bomb in church. Man oh man.

Jiggs stays in Brawl, and despite my disliking for her, it wouldn't feel the same without her. It's like, "oh no, they included her AGAIN?" It's not Smash Bros without that feeling. She probably has one of the most unique movesets out of the entire roster thus far, and you cannot argue that.

Steelia

Smash Champion
NO. Taking out Lucario is like taking out Mewtwo. You know how many people were disappointed when Mewtwo left? Lucario has fans too, and he's an actual good character. My preference is, just add Mewtwo, and call it a day for pokemon.
Hear, Hear to that.

Personally... I was never fond of Jigglypuff until I actually played with her in Brawl. Just one day, out of the blue, I thought, "Hey, let me try out Jiggs. I never play as her, never."

I played with her till I hit about... 300 KOs. And since then, she's been one of my more played.

What I mean to say is, Jiggs is cool. I'd be sad if she left. Mewtwo leaving didn't sadden me... It infuriated me. ):<

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
If the next 3d console zelda game comes out before ssb4, will they change link's moveset again to fit to his newest appearance? If link lacks the "gale" in his boomerang, will he just have his normal boomerang again? Also, if he acquires his mirror shield in the newest zelda, will he gain it? These are some questions that i'd like to have answers for.

HIGH TIER NEWLY BUFFED LINK FOR SSB4

teen-robot

Smash Cadet
okay i have another idea...
in ssb64 pit was planned to be in,but was replaced by jiggly puff
meowth was supposed to be there instead of jigglypuff,syill jiggs got the spot
balloon fighter was planned to be in melee but was later deleted:)
if pit came in ssbb, then meowth,balloon fighter and even the forbidden 7 have a chance of getting in the next one:)
and besides....most of the characters in brawl were trophies in melee
so maybe most of the new ones should have a trophy in ssbb...
conclusion:
REPLACE ALL FINAL SMASHES WITH LANDMASTERS!
look at the trophy's we have to get even a glimp of ssb4
i'll try making a moveset for ganon xD posting it on the make your move tread(or something)

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
If the next 3d console zelda game comes out before ssb4, will they change link's moveset again to fit to his newest appearance? If link lacks the "gale" in his boomerang, will he just have his normal boomerang again? Also, if he acquires his mirror shield in the newest zelda, will he gain it? These are some questions that i'd like to have answers for.

o.o

Link... heavier and stronger = High Tier? -brick'd-

I want Vaati as a character in SSB4...

Spire

III
BRoomer

I fully support, as Link is by far my all-time favorite character to play as. He's not top tier in Brawl, but he's a hell of a lot better than he was in Melee.

I doubt that they'd cut the trademark Hylian Shield in exchange for the Mirror Shield, however, alternate costumes could definitely fix this problem. I would actually like a new weapon to replace the Boomerang, despite its history. The bow and bombs are untouchable, but the boomerang should be swapped for something else, at least in ONE of the two playable Links.

Ilex

Smash Ace
@SmashBrosMike: Not a bad listing, but isn't it a tad small...? I mean, there are tons more characters you could've added. But hey, it's your list. I'm just saying. Overall, I could agree with all the inclusions. :)

Oh, and by the way you accidentally replaced Mewtwo with Meowth... :laugh:
Actually I was glad that he was one of the few who didn't put in Mewtwo. I really liked that roster, except for the excessive amounts of Warioware characters.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Twilight Link said:
They probably wouldn't incorporate the Mirror Shield, as that would reflect projectiles by necessity...it wouldn't be a problem, but it'd have to be a special move, which is already Pit's.

The boomerang will probably change though. His actual moveset is probably safe from drastic changes (i.e. anything more than slight tweaks or visual changes).

Spire III said:
but he's a hell of a lot better than he was in Melee.
His arrows and aerials are better, but almost everything else got worse--especially his recovery.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
His arrows and aerials are better, but almost everything else got worse--especially his recovery.
Yes...I like Link, but God I don't (almost EVER) play him! Link to the Past was excellent, fonaminal at that (what's a newer Link game like that w/ all the assortment of weapons?). That's why I play Toon Link once in a blue moon.

Also, about the trophy comment mentioned before: Pit's trophy, as all of you probably know, states at the end of its description, "Will Pit ever fight again?" This was the big foreshadowing of the trophies. When I looked at all of my Brawl trophies, I didn't spot anything hinting on either another sequel or a new playable character. But this means nothing. Also, what if Sakurai made SSB4 and only put in like 6 new characters, and took out three? I have reason to believe that Sakurai won't be adding too many new characters (no more than 12-15) because of what he said in his All-Star update. He said this:

"When they’re all lined up like this, it becomes obvious that there is roughly 6-year blank before and after Pikmin. While there have been big series since then like "Animal Crossing," "Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day," and "Wii Sports" it does seem that coming up with a completely new character-driven series has gotten more difficult recently."

This perhaps only means that he may just add characters from older series, not newer ones.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, about the trophy comment mentioned before: Pit's trophy, as all of you probably know, states at the end of its description, "Will Pit ever fight again?" This was the big foreshadowing of the trophies. When I looked at all of my Brawl trophies, I didn't spot anything hinting on either another sequel or a new playable character. But this means nothing. Also, what if Sakurai made SSB4 and only put in like 6 new characters, and took out three? I have reason to believe that Sakurai won't be adding too many new characters (no more than 12-15) because of what he said in his All-Star update. He said this:

"When they’re all lined up like this, it becomes obvious that there is roughly 6-year blank before and after Pikmin. While there have been big series since then like "Animal Crossing," "Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day," and "Wii Sports" it does seem that coming up with a completely new character-driven series has gotten more difficult recently."

This perhaps only means that he may just add characters from older series, not newer ones.
Judging by the results of that poll that was organized before Brawl's release(which is found in the character discussion for reference), that assumption may not be too far-fetched. In truth, I was hoping for the addition of older characters(NES generation, anyone?). Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Travis Touchdown showed up in the next game...

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Judging by the results of that poll that was organized before Brawl's release(which is found in the character discussion for reference), that assumption may not be too far-fetched. In truth, I was hoping for the addition of older characters(NES generation, anyone?). Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Travis Touchdown showed up in the next game...
One could suppose that this is why there are so many requests for retro-ish characters (Takamaru, Sukapon, even Geno and Megaman). There really haven't been many good series come out lately, have there? Ratchet & Clank was beasty when it reached its prime with the third installment, "Up Your Arsenal," however, that's not Nintendo-related, mind you. That series is starting to get some age under its belt, too. It's not really a "brand new" franchise.

darkserenade

Smash Ace

Very well thought out theory. You make a great point.

SERIF

Smash Rookie
Definitely add:
-Knuckles
-Mega Man
-Waluigi
-Blazikin(I think thats how you spell that Pokemon)
-Daisy
-Fierce Deity(from Majora's Mask)
-Dark Samus
-Bomberman
-Banjo/Kazooie(Though I highly doubt it thanks to Rare belonging to Microsoft)
-and finally the Ultimate Fighter...Chuck Norris! (Final Smash - Round house kick to the face right out the game, automatic 3 stock loss!)

And please, for the love of Smash, get rid of this stupid tripping thing.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
they will no doubt add one character from each game. Dark Samus Probably Will be there, walugi maybe or Daisy Knuckles or tails =/ Well the pokes is probably going to be one of those, OMG I LUV THESE PKMN AND I R MAKE MOVIE BOUT THEM!!! which could be a new pokemon, which i'm guessing, Brawl should be expected for like another 7 years... But from Zelda Games... I would Probably say EPONA!!! xD jk no one would want to main a random horse :( From Starfox Slippy uh From the Kirby games.... hmmm no clue :( from the DK games, probably dixie or Funky, Funky has a higher chance i say. for the Mother games, no clue again, FE will probably have the new lords of the new games that are coming out at that time. but of course they can add some random characters, look at rob >.>

Illusive

Smash Apprentice
Should there be an unlock (characters, and maybe stages and modes) cheat? I vote yes. It would mean that if people are really not willing to go through alot of work to have the game function at full level, they can opt out, but they will still have to work for music, trophies etc. This would also open the floodgates for characters being tricky to unlock the legal way, rather than plowing through sse and getting them all.

2 Hypotheticals:
What if the only characters you had initially were the original 8 (or even fewer)? And you had to unlock every other one, playing through all the other modes (trying to avoid being tedious)

What if you had every character and stage from the start?

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
@ Illusive: I think they should put up the amount of Brawls or w/e you have to do. Melee had it go up to 1,000? Brawl was like 500? Unlocking Ness in 5 battles in kinda stupid. I would like it if you would start w/ the original 8, however, that's unlikely because many people (including me) don't main those characters. It could be a pain in the butt to unlock the others. However, having this though, would make the game seem more enjoyable and giving you more of a sense of accomplishmet when you unlock 25+ characters. I love the CHALLENGER APPROACHING screen! Always gives me a rush!
Why wouldn't they for SSB4? I guarentee you at least one will come.
Oh, agreed. When you think how does a character is smash come to be they must have certain criteria. Popularity and a reasonable moveset (this one is iffy, however, exceptions are all over the place) are two of them. People are making that theory about the assist trophies of today are the future characters of tomorrow. This is where Issac may come into the fray, so to speak. Issac and Lip both have huge popularity and are older series. Perhaps instead of looking into the trophies in Brawl like how we found out Pit in Melee, we should look in the sound track. Look at that! Issac and Lip have songs in there! As some minor notes, too, Takamaru, Roy, etc. have their own songs, too. This may give us hints to the next retro character: Takamaru? And, because I"m not familiar w/ the series, could someone give a link to a created moveset of his. Thanks.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
Respect the Puff! RESPECT IT!
kudos if you got that one!
Capri Sun

I want Vaati as a character in SSB4...
Vaati would be amazing, but I would find it interesting if Nintendo could put in two different Zelda universes: Regular & Toon. Because having 6+ (Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Toon Zelda/Tetra, Vaati) reps for one universe that's NOT Mario's is kinda pushing it...

Should there be an unlock (characters, and maybe stages and modes) cheat? I vote yes. It would mean that if people are really not willing to go through alot of work to have the game function at full level, they can opt out, but they will still have to work for music, trophies etc. This would also open the floodgates for characters being tricky to unlock the legal way, rather than plowing through sse and getting them all.

What if you had every character and stage from the start?
I don't think that this would be exciting at all. Do you realize how many lazy buttholes there are out there that would do this the second they got the game, making it boring to play after the first couple of days?
Sure there's hacking already, but putting this in would be really... just, boring.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Vaati would be amazing, but I would find it interesting if Nintendo could put in two different Zelda universes: Regular & Toon. Because having 6+ (Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Toon Zelda/Tetra, Vaati) reps for one universe that's NOT Mario's is kinda pushing it...
I don't want to be "extremist" (sp?) but making that would be too much for Zelda. Mario for being the mascot should have had more reps in Brawl, but instead got one kicked.

If by order of series, taking Nintendo's most famous franchises... the limit goes as:

- Mario (6/7, Bowser Jr. JUST him, not Shadow Mario and probably Geno, seventh spot for somebody else).

- Zelda (6, as you mentioned)

- Pokemon (5/6, dunno, if you -points at you, the one reading this- consider Pokemon Trainer to be in fact 3 characters, then the number has been already reached).

And so goes on... but this is my prefference. Just saying Mario has to have more reps for being Nintendo's mascot... but that could be biased.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Perhaps instead of looking into the trophies in Brawl like how we found out Pit in Melee, we should look in the sound track. Look at that! Issac and Lip have songs in there! As some minor notes, too, Takamaru, Roy, etc. have their own songs, too. This may give us hints to the next retro character: Takamaru? And, because I"m not familiar w/ the series, could someone give a link to a created moveset of his. Thanks.
That's an interesting observation. Some of them have stickers of themselves, too.

Also, let's not forget about songs that may hint on future stages, such as King Dedede's theme and the airship theme from Super Mario Bros. 3.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
And so goes on... but this is my prefference. Just saying Mario has to have more reps for being Nintendo's mascot... but that could be biased.
Exactly!.. It's a sin to Nintendo to put anything higher than Mario... I'm surprised Sakurai wasn't fired the moment he released the video of Phetey pelting him with a cannon ball!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha anyways--Yoshi and Wario are both Mario characters, they just branch off into their separate series. I think (as in wish) that would count. But I don't think Nintendo would be swayed by this argument. :ohwell:

Ilex

Smash Ace
I don't want to be "extremist" (sp?) but making that would be too much for Zelda. Mario for being the mascot should have had more reps in Brawl, but instead got one kicked.

If by order of series, taking Nintendo's most famous franchises... the limit goes as:

- Mario (6/7, Bowser Jr. JUST him, not Shadow Mario and probably Geno, seventh spot for somebody else).

- Zelda (6, as you mentioned)

- Pokemon (5/6, dunno, if you -points at you, the one reading this- consider Pokemon Trainer to be in fact 3 characters, then the number has been already reached).

Pokemon is more popular than Zelda, it deserves more reps.

Mario- 7 reps
Pokemon- 6 reps (Poketrainer as one)
Zelda- 5 (Like it is right now)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
None of those are deserving... they were never even important to the franchise.

I predict that Mewtwo will get a spot back and a second Pokemon Trainer will take the place of Lucario. Called Rival Trainer. Generation five grass starter second evolution, Piplup, and Blaziken.

Ilex

Smash Ace
None of those are deserving... they were never even important to the franchise.
Yeah because I wasn't being sarcastic.

To be serious though, Mewtwo was replaced for a reason, and that reason remains: He's outdated and Smash has reached its saturation point of first gens. I would rather have a 3rd gen like Deoxys than a return of Mewtwo or another Pokemon Trainer.

Steelia

Smash Champion
To be serious though, Mewtwo was replaced for a reason, and that reason remains: He's outdated and Smash has reached its saturation point of first gens. I would rather have a 3rd gen like Deoxys than a return of Mewtwo or another Pokemon Trainer.
So Mewtwo is outdated, but Pokemon Trainer is not, despite the fact they're both from the first generation? That... doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, it wasn't as if he appeared in a lot of fan rosters or wasn't found in some Brawl hacked data to be playable...
I don't mean to sound as if I'm being harsh, I'm just trying to prove a point, is all.

Still, I believe that Mewtwo JUST might return due to the large amount of complains/criticism that I've been hearing about him being cut in the first place... Hey, if people keep at it, why not? Just like with Midna in Twilight Princess... She was apparently not going to be included in any more games, "as her fate was revealed in the game", but if people were to "request" enough, "why not?".
(Pardon if that goes a little off-topic...)

Anywho,

Roy-Kun said:
Mario (6/7, Bowser Jr. JUST him, not Shadow Mario and probably Geno, seventh spot for somebody else)
Personally, I could see Geno in a faction of his own. Sure, he's never appeared in his own title like Yoshi and Wario have (thus why they're under factions of their own)... but being he's owned by Square Enix... it wouldn't seem right to slap a Mushroom icon for him. I think the ones behind Smash 4 would give him a faction all on his own, so to show he's not entirely Mario-owned/-related (if that's how you want to put it).

Ilex

Smash Ace
So Mewtwo is outdated, but Pokemon Trainer is not, despite the fact they're both from the first generation? That... doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, it wasn't as if he appeared in a lot of fan rosters or wasn't found in some Brawl hacked data to be playable...
I don't mean to sound as if I'm being harsh, I'm just trying to prove a point, is all.

Still, I believe that Mewtwo JUST might return due to the large amount of complains/criticism that I've been hearing about him being cut in the first place... Hey, if people keep at it, why not? Just like with Midna in Twilight Princess... She was apparently not going to be included in any more games, "as her fate was revealed in the game", but if people were to "request" enough, "why not?".
(Pardon if that goes a little off-topic...).
Fan rosters don't count, I also see Naruto and Ichigo in a lot of fan rosters. If Mewtwo hadn't been in Melee, no one would want him in SSB4. He would just be another Pokemon. If, say, Mew had been added in Melee and gained a lot of popularity then was taken out people would want it back. But that's not the case because she was never added in the first place. See what I'm saying?
Who knows about PT, maybe it was to symbolize Fr/Lg.As for him being in the Forbidden 7, it was just an empty folder so he could have been cut at any point in time. Anyways there's 493 Pokemon, he's had his moment to shine, now maybe some of the other 485~ Pokemon should get a shot.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
I
Can someone explain!! I never heard of this!!

edit: new feature, goes in the same category as wall clinging glides and jumps:
Wall sprints.
Characters like Mario and Sonic (who have demonstrated the ability to do this in their games) can run up walls! Of course they have to be sprinting, so they can't do it from an inch away, and they also need a slanted floor leading up to the wall to give them a boost. It'd make characters like Sonic more agile, and add to the awesomeness that is smash. It could potentially lead up to some combos, and allow you to end up behind your opponent without having to predictably roll back. It'd be a neat little feature that wouldn't detur much from game play.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yes...I like Link, but God I don't (almost EVER) play him! Link to the Past was excellent, fonaminal at that (what's a newer Link game like that w/ all the assortment of weapons?). That's why I play Toon Link once in a blue moon.

There is nothing in that5 quote that implies that.What he is saying is that Pikmin has been the last franchises to have a usable character. The rest are not character driven. THAT is what he is talking about. It would matter becuase instead of seeing new franchises, he has to have more additions from older ones. Nothing in that quote implies that he would only add old franchises.

Oh, agreed. When you think how does a character is smash come to be they must have certain criteria. Popularity and a reasonable moveset (this one is iffy, however, exceptions are all over the place) are two of them. People are making that theory about the assist trophies of today are the future characters of tomorrow. This is where Issac may come into the fray, so to speak. Issac and Lip both have huge popularity and are older series. Perhaps instead of looking into the trophies in Brawl like how we found out Pit in Melee, we should look in the sound track. Look at that! Issac and Lip have songs in there! As some minor notes, too, Takamaru, Roy, etc. have their own songs, too. This may give us hints to the next retro character: Takamaru? And, because I"m not familiar w/ the series, could someone give a link to a created moveset of his. Thanks.
Lip? Popular? Please tell me your joking. Lip is one of the least popular characters. If you look at the poll here, she only got 4 votes in all. In my polls of 4chan's /v/, 7chan's /vg/ and Brawl Central, guess how many votes she got. 1. Out of all three boards only one person would actually want to see her. She is not popular at all.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
Lip? Popular? Please tell me your joking. Lip is one of the least popular characters. If you look at the poll here, she only got 4 votes in all. In my polls of 4chan's /v/, 7chan's /vg/ and Brawl Central, guess how many votes she got. 1. Out of all three boards only one person would actually want to see her. She is not popular at all.
Well, when Brawl was under production, many people had "Lip for SSBB" pictures. It may not be the top character on their list, but it's on their list nonetheless. Before Brawl's roster leaked, I saw quite a few Lip movesets meandering around the forums, and there was a Lip support thread I think. Either way, three boards aren't the whole world. There are people who don't have internet (becoming more sparce but still) and there are Lip fans who support her, it's just that they don't go on forums. Geno isn't very known except for on forums which at that case his fans are rabbid.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

B L A S T O I S E
The Shellfish Pokemon

S T A T S

HP: 79
Attack: 83
Defense: 100

Sp.Atk: 85
Sp.Def: 105
Speed: 78

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well, when Brawl was under production, many people had "Lip for SSBB" pictures. It may not be the top character on their list, but it's on their list nonetheless. Before Brawl's roster leaked, I saw quite a few Lip movesets meandering around the forums, and there was a Lip support thread I think. Either way, three boards aren't the whole world. There are people who don't have internet (becoming more sparce but still) and there are Lip fans who support her, it's just that they don't go on forums. Geno isn't very known except for on forums which at that case his fans are rabbid.
Well, first, if they don't have the internet, they don't know who Lip is.
Second, there have been movesets and icons for many characters. Lip fans may be vocal, but overall, it's not a character with high priority, which means it not popular.
Lastly, we can only test forum goers. My goal in trying many different boards is to get the whole, over compassing opinion. But unlike Lip, Geno was in a game released in the US. So the wester audience does know of him, and yes, he is rather popular.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Pokemon is more popular than Zelda, it deserves more reps.

Mario- 7 reps
Pokemon- 6 reps (Poketrainer as one)
Zelda- 5 (Like it is right now)
Probably, but Zelda is a more iconic series.

Well... same number of reps then? -brick'd- I freaking want Vaati, T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom