• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Snake Q&A Area

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I press x and jump, unless you mean jump while holding a grenade. Then in that case I just stay grounded, or just shield drop, & pick it back up.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Hey, guys. I've been on the boards for almost a year now, and I love all the info you guys have on Snake, but my problem is: I'm not online a lot. So, I was wondering which info would you guys recommend I print out that way I can study when I'm not online? I understand that everything should be learned eventually, but I guess I'm asking is where I should start first.
Best way to learn is to watch videos of top players playing matchups that are relevant to you.

Mike2

Smash Ace
Umm, my controller layout tap jump off, L is jump, Y is shield(helps me with teching and powershielding), up taunt is set to jump, down taunt is jump, and side taunt is shield(this is for k pr ime's grab break method).

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I have it set to jump I just don't use it unless i'm doing random and get Peach or something. ^_^ Forgot about using it while there's a grenade in my hand.

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
I have tap jump off with everything else default. I guess I'm used to clawing, but that L-jump sounds like it could be better. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Going back to this:

EDIT:Also I have a question. I know that B-Reversing shifts our momentum when falling, so I was wondering what does it do when we get sent flying from a smash or something of the sort?
I know at least Zelda has something exactly what you're talking about (Video) I've tried to do this same thing with Snake, but I wasn't able to get it to work. I figure if it can be done, it would:
1) not be any better than simply jumping (like Zelda)
2) be difficult to do reliably
3) put you in a bad position to recover since like 99% of the time you want to be recovering high (second jump+cypher)

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
try to hit them with an aerial, if you can do it with a nade in hand so it blows you up in case you miss.

etecoon

Smash Hero
snake vs planking

send the nikita after them and throw nades
hope they're ******** enough to somehow **** up BEING INVINCIBLE
???
prof--probably lose.

Mike2

Smash Ace
Lololol

For example against G&W I was thinking about putting a mine down then edge hogging. When they up b they have to land on stage if I time the edge hog right. Don't know if his wind or uair blows it up though. I'll check

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
you're nades should be able to get pit of the end. do it from a distance though, so you have time to block the arrows. i've posted a video up of me doing this before; cbf finding it again.

gw is more difficult though, nikitas and c4s are necessary, cause he'll blow nades away. basically if you're down a stock, you should lose.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I have tap jump off with everything else default. I guess I'm used to clawing, but that L-jump sounds like it could be better. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Going back to this:

I know at least Zelda has something exactly what you're talking about (Video) I've tried to do this same thing with Snake, but I wasn't able to get it to work. I figure if it can be done, it would:
1) not be any better than simply jumping (like Zelda)
2) be difficult to do reliably
3) put you in a bad position to recover since like 99% of the time you want to be recovering high (second jump+cypher)
Ok, cool beans. I was just curious, i'd never tried it or anything it just kind of popped into my head.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
What are the exact frames for jab to crouch cancel to jab?

Also, GaWs planking isnt as safe as pits. If hes gettin knocked off by nades he did it wrong.

Attila_

BRoomer
if pit wants to shoot arrows at you, he has to make himself vulnerable.

if pit/gw just want to run down the clock, and don't do anything but upB, then yes, nades won't help. but c4s and nikitas will.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
if pit wants to shoot arrows at you, he has to make himself vulnerable.

if pit/gw just want to run down the clock, and don't do anything but upB, then yes, nades won't help. but c4s and nikitas will.
Ya im not saying tis impossible to get pit off the ledge. Only mk is :troll:

But if the pit is smart about it hes gonna get dmg in w/o getting hit. Your gonna get hit for putting the c4 there your gonna get hit for pulling a nade far away and close he can just up-b stall it away or jump auto cancel nair to utilt which is near guarenteed shield poke and frame 2 utilt. If you nikita your getting shot as well. You almost have to be like 5 steps ahead or have him mess up. And he can always reset the situation by moving to the other side.

Attila_

BRoomer
you're theorycrafting way too much.

pit may have the ability to do all those things, but in a game where snake can have 5 weapons out at once (cant imagine more than that), these are far easier said than done. pressure is a wonderful thing, and can be used to crush ledgers. also consider how many frame you can actually occupy by linking nades. you really can make it tough for pit if you mix up enough, trust me. stop thinking you can't, cause in situations like this, it only holds you back.

oh, and nair doesnt link to anything. l2 sdi.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
you're theorycrafting way too much.

pit may have the ability to do all those things, but in a game where snake can have 5 weapons out at once (cant imagine more than that), these are far easier said than done. pressure is a wonderful thing, and can be used to crush ledgers. also consider how many frame you can actually occupy by linking nades. you really can make it tough for pit if you mix up enough, trust me. stop thinking you can't, cause in situations like this, it only holds you back.

oh, and nair doesnt link to anything. l2 sdi.
Um its not theory crafting and i am more confident than anyone in my ability to do so in both characters situations i've done it as i am both a snake and a pit main. You cant assume your opponent isnt good enough to do *insert task here*(this case mixing it up). You always assume the best. As far as SDI is concerned any way snake sdis doesnt change the situation if the nair lands. And considering you'll prolly shield the first hits you will not likely sdi the last 2 hits as sdi becomes less and less with 1) the amount of hitstun 2) the amount of hits both of which would be lacking here. Leets say you do sdi it. If you sdi opposite your now offstage, good job. If you sdi right you still get hit by utilts horizontal hitbox or can simpy be grabbed. Sdi up again utilt. My point being unless your on bf you wont have a safe way to get said items set up. However, after the dmg is done and those items are in place you can now begin to apply said pressure. It really is-in the end- just a rock-paper-scissors game in which pit has the slight upper hand. Expect to take some dmg. All im sayin.

tl;dr

It is difficult for both and there really is no simply solution. Play your mix-up game on stage to get those nades cooked and avoid arrows, then throw them at the right time. That is about all you can do unless you manage to catch someone unawares with some random thing.

Attila_

BRoomer
tl;dr

theorycraft. if you do this, he can do this. if he does this, you can do this, and he can do this.

if smash was this simple, snake would be a bad character.

etecoon

Smash Hero
snake IS a bad character.

that is incorrect however, because theorizing that every action has an appropriate and equally viable response would mean that the heaviest/most powerful characters would always win. DDD would be the best character in the game under those circumstances.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
What are the exact frames for jab to crouch cancel to jab?
The above question as well as:

Is there anyway that crouch can be used to avoid shield drop frames? Any way AT ALL? Im doing some research. Answer will be much appreciated.

Also, i never said that every response will be perfect and its unpunishable. I simply said expect to take a bit of dmg b4 you succeed at getting him off.

Take the data on a single jab. Figure out the IASA frames on it. Then know that a crouch takes 3 frames. However, that crouch frame can be canceled by any attack.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Take the data on a single jab. Figure out the IASA frames on it. Then know that a crouch takes 3 frames. However, that crouch frame can be canceled by any attack.
So i can crouch and the 3 frames shouldn't matter if i jab?

Jab 1

Base Damage - 4
Base Knockback - 0
Knockback gain - 64
Weight Knockback – 1E/1E/14
Hitbox comes out at frame - 3
First IASA Frame – 6(for jab2 only)/16 (for everything else)
Direction -361/80/88
Total frames - 23
Miscellaneous – Despite Jab 2 coming out a frame faster, ftilt is more flexible and does more damage.
Hitbox duration - 2
Landing Lag – N/A
Tripping rate(If any) – N/A
Hitlag multiplier – x1
SDI potential – x1(normal)

So in theory for jab to crouch to jab would take 9 frames for 2 hitboxes? 6 for the first one 3 for the second only counting the time it takes for the second ones hitbox to come out.

Top Bottom