• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Snake Q&A Area

So i can crouch and the 3 frames shouldn't matter if i jab?

Jab 1

Hitbox comes out at frame - 3
First IASA Frame – 6(for jab2 only)/16 (for everything else)
Total frames - 23

So in theory for jab to crouch to jab would take 9 frames for 2 hitboxes? 6 for the first one 3 for the second only counting the time it takes for the second ones hitbox to come out.
If you are talking about jab1 -> crouch -> jab1 repeat. The frame 6 IASA only works for jab2. Not jab1. Jab1 fits in that IASA 16 frame. So actually...

From some starting frame.
Frame 3 hitbox
Frame 16 first IASA
Frame 17 Jab1 canceled and into crouch animation

Jab1 -> crouch lasts ~17 frames before the whole process can repeat again.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
So question.

Jab to ftilt is a combo, right? If jab to utilt is done perfectly, does that combo too?

So question.

Jab to ftilt is a combo, right? If jab to utilt is done perfectly, does that combo too?
I did frame testing on jab1 -> ftilt awhile back.

Jab1 has fixed knockback if I recall, no matter the percent. The amount of stun time on the character is dependent upon the character. Either way, the stun time of jab1 was long enough on some characters--that when hit with the proper spot of jab1--jab1 to ftilt was indeed a true combo. Others characters however had too short a stun time and had the chance to escape by some means. I think ZSS could jab snake before a ftilt would come out.

I never tested jab1 -> utilt. However, Utilt is slightly slower than ftilt. So, if it does true combo, it works on only a few select indiviuals. And again would be dependent upon the part of jab you hit with.

In conclusion, jab -> utilt or Jab -> ftilt is pretty viable option to try. Although, we all sort of knew that to begin with.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I've never had an opponent get out if i jab to utilt them when the jab caught them in the air. What about jab to dtilt? It comes out faster than utilt. frame 6 i believe.

Also, crystal do you know anything about that second question? If there is anyway to avoid shield drop frames with crouching or anyway to get in the crouching position without SD frames?

I've never had an opponent get out if i jab to utilt them when the jab caught them in the air. What about jab to dtilt? It comes out faster than utilt. frame 6 i believe.

Also, crystal do you know anything about that second question? If there is anyway to avoid shield drop frames with crouching or anyway to get in the crouching position without SD frames?
Again, that few frame difference is enough to allows some characters to escape.

At higher percents, if an opponent is within KO range, and Dtilt can get a KO, then jab1 -> dtilt would have a better chance of working since it comes out slightly faster. Although, that is only if you can avoid the crouch frames. You can do that by slightly holding down on the control stick. Much like doing an utilt if you had tap jump on.

Umm... No. The only way to circumvent shield drop frames that I am familiar with is jump, dodge or roll. If there was some other way, I think it would be known already. It would open up a whole new range of OoS punishers too.
Jab to utilt is a true combo in the air. Yes.
Which characters is jab to ftilt true on?
I question about jab -> utilt on an airborn opponent. The times I have tried it against the CPU, I have been Naired out of it by characters like peach and ness who have like a 2-3 frame aerial.

I did a only a few characters to keep track of who jab1 -> ftilt would work on. After it was clear that it is character dependent, I figured it was not really important who was true comboed since it also depends where on the jab you hit. And you cannot always guarantee where you will hit it.

I tested it on olimar, zss, mk, falco, and DK. Plus a few others, but I forgot where on smashboards I put the post about it.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
So best way to dtilt OoS is to to slightly hold down and dtilt right? That way you avoid crouch frames?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
would love it if someone could get the hitstun/hitlag/shieldstun from our moves. instead of guessing combos and what not.

One of the older frame data theads that were done manually I think had basic hitlag and shieldstun times. Hitstun is impossible to figure out without a formula for it since it depends upon character stats, percentages, and decay values.

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
One of the older frame data theads that were done manually I think had basic hitlag and shieldstun times. Hitstun is impossible to figure out without a formula for it since it depends upon character stats, percentages, and decay values.
I guess we shouldn't need the percentages and decay values in the formula since Jab has set knockback

I guess we shouldn't need the percentages and decay values in the formula since Jab has set knockback
I thought we had moved from the specific case to the general o.0

Anyway, I need help. Which character should I use for the next scrubby tournament I am going too? I was thinking snake, but going CF seems like a must.

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
I thought we had moved from the specific case to the general o.0

Anyway, I need help. Which character should I use for the next scrubby tournament I am going too? I was thinking snake, but going CF seems like a must.
Well we should go with Jab first and maybe after that test any other stuff and you NEED to go D3 and spam spotdodge!

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
True, ralph.

"HE'S SO STRONG HIS SWORD SWING KILLS AT 20 DAMAGE SO CHEP"
I've died at 0 to it before, that was before I knew that people can punish spotdodges, ate a fully charged smash to the face with PatG DI lmao.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
When you DI any horizontal attack such that you go straight horizontal or even horizontal-down, thats PatG DI.

I have had this DI before. Someone started doing DI names by time era instead of location. I got medieval DI. I have even achieved prehistoric DI before too ;D Get slapped by shiek Fair. Everyone has bad DI it seems.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
How do you deal with aggressive MK?

Defensive I can handle just fine, just when they're constantly in my face/juggle ****** me, I seem to land and immediately get put offstage/in the air

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Learn all of Snake's possible anti juggle/landing options, and then mix them up. learn which option beats which of his options, dont throw out attacks/nades too early as he can react and just send you up again, and most of all, dont get scared.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
The options I know of are Wavebounce Nade/C4, FF Airdodge and FF Aerial (Bair/Dair)

Specifically, which is best for beating Pivot Grab?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
You can breverse at the last second, other wise you can try buffering jab/spotdodge from a ff ad land incase he mess up the timing.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
While recovering I feel like more Snakes need to implement turning around in the air by quarter circling when they blow up their c4 so they have that option of bair.

And Snakes I see never use c4... x.x its so useful!

There are times to use it, then there are times to not use it. Hard to find the happy medium between the times when you get hit out of using it too much, and it actually helps. I overuse it and get punished for it a lot.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Snake boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

FoolHater

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure it's whenever Snake gets footstooled during his cypher. He also gets to use his cypher again if he gets footstooled.

The explosion doesn't do any damage, I don't think.
Nevermind, I realized that if Snake uses his Cypher twice (as in he got hit/footstooled , his cypher now flies skyward, and he decides to Up B again) the remaining Cypher explodes.

I assume the developers didn't want "Cypher spamming". Anyway, I agree that the explosion does no damage; however, maybe I should test it thoroughly to affirm my hypothesis.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Haha exact opposite for me.
How? If they're far/camping, I can nade and set up stuff. I can do anything if I'm off the ground and they're close. Maybe I shouldn't jump so much...

But what do you do?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
How? If they're far/camping, I can nade and set up stuff. I can do anything if I'm off the ground and they're close. Maybe I shouldn't jump so much...

But what do you do?
It's all about baiting. If they are the aggressor then you bait them into their actions and use nades as stuff to control their spacing. While with the campy mk its as philny said...and that's something im trying to work hard on. Cuz mk can dance around nades so well and just AD cooked ones.So you have to get real clever with your setups. I'll never be as good at it as fatal :(

Also every nado should=utilt if they use it wrong in the least bit.

Top Bottom