• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smashboards Combo Video Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
I actually love 64. The reason for the lack of 64 inclusion is I wanted something we could show to editors, media, and corporate people to really show off our community. And the problem is the game graphically looks too dated (whereas Melee/Brawl look somewhat similar) to give the right impression.

And the same issue stands (albeit not graphics) for brawl+. To include it opens a whole can of worms dealing with some of the people id like to potentially show the video off to.

That said it would be really cool to see some 64/brawl+ videos. I planned on doing some other contest in the future and we could certainly include them then. Another option if you guys are interested would be to allow both games with the stipulation that the community could select your video as top 5 and you could win premium but for the reasons described above you would not be selected as the winner. Because there will only be 5 slots we would have to limit it to one 64, and one Brawl+ included video submission maximum in the top 5. But if you guys are still pumped to do a submission even with the cant win 1st place stipulation im all for it.
This sounds like a reasonable compromise. I think most people in the 64 community would be happy to be given the chance for any more exposure, even if the videos are barred from the final product.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
FINALLY,

Someone tells us the truth. The truth being that this contest is NOT for the community and NOT for new players. That clears every "graphics" issue right up.

Why couldn't you losers in the first four pages tell us this right off the bat? Now everyone's all pissy and mislead.

Of course, Smashboards, you better well ****ing host a smash64/Brawl+ combo video competition now, to make up for the blatant douchebaggery.
I'm glad it's all settled now though.
Notice that I said "I CAN SHOW OFF" not that I only will show off to. This contest is for everyone. Its for new players to see something cool and a great introduction to our community, vets to see some amazing stuff in action, its for talented video editors to see their work featured on our site, its for us to start to give back some of the money from premium to the community, and yes it is for me to show editors, media, and corporate people in hopes they will see how great our community is, how great smash can be competitively, all in hopes to get more exposure to our community.

Im glad we have a 64 community on here. It is an amazing game. And just cause I do not think having its videos in our "winner" is the right decision does not mean I do not think it helps grow that community. Same can be said for brawl+. If an editor runs a story about competitive smash who wins? We all do. Some of the people that hear about the community that come over got their start in 64 and would still be thrilled to play the game. And guess what community, what forums they will spend most of their time in. Yep the 64.

So stop being so shortsighted or this chip on your shoulder us vs them mentality.

This video is for the community and hopefully can help get us more exposure to grow ALL facets of the site.

john!

Smash Hero
so hows that sense of humor workin out for you, john9blue?
Lol, not bad, glad you noticed.

The thing is that SSB could be the greatest fighter ever and it still wouldn't make as much money for MLG as Melee or Brawl would, because of various reasons scattered throughout the thread. You're complaining to the wrong guy (afaik JV doesn't have control over these things). There's no conspiracy against you. Yes, it probably is about the money. If you don't like that then there are three things you can do: become the head of MLG and change it yourself, get MLG to move to a country where a company can be ordered around by someone else (the government, for instance), or take your arguments out of this thread and tell it to the people who make the decisions.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Some of the people that hear about the community that come over got their start in 64 and would still be thrilled to play the game. And guess what community, what forums they will spend most of their time in. Yep the 64.
How the hell are more people gonna spend time in the 64 forums if they can't find it because it's under "Gaming", right next to pokemon and zelda?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
(in this post, 'you' refers to MLG_JV... just to remove confusion...)

I think the 64 section's main reason for argument was not necessarily the lack of 64 in the competition, but the lack of attention and disrespect given to 64 players by players of other games.

Lets put it this way...

We're the only smash game of the three that does not have it's own section... and we're just thrown in the gaming section... under the general discussion (containing Poll Room, Debate Hall, Forum Games). I mean... who's going to look that far down? By that time, people will think it's just random threads (we're right beside pokemon and Zelda... two non-smash games). We've been asking to have our own section for a while, but still we're stuck basically in the middle of nowhere.

Then after that, every time someone mensions Smash 64 to a melee or brawl person, they just dismiss it as a game with nothing but combos, and whoever gets the first hit wins (if this is the case, and it's a 50/50 chance of getting the first hit, why does Isai almost always win?). They consider it a joke of a game that is dead with no competitive scene. Melee people treat us worse than brawlers sometimes (and you know how poorly melee players treat brawl players... 'brawl is for noobs' etc.)

So with this lack of respect from players of the other games, seeing the "Official Smashboards Combo Video Competition" with no 64 (which has the most combos off all the games) will easily make us believe we're being shoved aside again. Now that you've explained why (though a little late...), I can see why you would want melee and brawl vids... though I still don't see why 64 is completely banned. Before you answered why 64 was not there, these were the answers we got to why 64 was not included:

Simple answer? It's no longer played competitively on any meaningful scale. Why try to promote the community around an (essentially) dead game?

Also, since feeding the trolls is funny, any idiot can combo during hitstun, it's harder when you actually have to read and bait your opponent in to mistakes to continue your combo. ;)
I lol'd at what this thread has turned into.

And about SSB64.
Seriously, every match is a combo video. What's the point of a SSB64 combo video?
if you can host a smash 64 tourney and have more then 10 serious entrants in a populated area, it's not dead, alright?

it'd be like if nobody hosted brawl tournaments anymore but people said it was still alive because of wifi. lol.
so... reading those posts... what are we supposed to think? Before you posted, that's the reasons we got for why 64 was not in. Pretty valid reason for us to get mad.

I think overall, the 64 menbers think that we've been overlooked and shoved under gaming for too long, and decided now's the time to try to voice our opinion. Sure some of us are much more vocal than others, but... yeah... it's frustrating.

Sorry for the long post... but I hope it helps you understand our side...

edit:

^ Make it sound like it's rocket science dude. Ctrl+f works well too
Does this not prove our point? Is the 64 forums that hard to find that someone must use 'Ctrl+f' to find it?

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
It's how it goes man. I'm beginning to think Brawl is more of a party game over a competitive one. Masses of people still play it because it's under two years old. It probably is about money too since Brawl tournaments are so common. Then there is Melee which is more fun and skilled based. Smash 64 is a classic. But the staff of these boards have reasons for excluding it.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
How the hell are more people gonna spend time in the 64 forums if they can't find it because it's under "Gaming", right next to pokemon and zelda?
^ Make it sound like it's rocket science dude. Ctrl+f works well too
Does this not prove our point? Is the 64 forums that hard to find that someone must use 'Ctrl+f' to find it?
It's how it goes man.
... seriously, does this not prove our point? People are saying we are fine stuck under gaming and that we should complain. How well would melee do if the melee section was at the very bottom of the index, under EVERYTHING? Would it still be as good as it is now?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
OK, if the contest thing is really impossible to change...

CREATING AN OWN CATEGORY IN THE GENERAL INDEX IS SUCH AN EASY THING TO DO.
SSB64 COMMUNITY MAKES THIS SIMPLE PETITION BECAUSE THIS GAME DESERVES MORE EXPOSURE AND RESPECT

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
If there were to be a SSB4, each game would move down a notch in the forums. Brawl would be where Melee is now and so on. But that's saying the said SSB4 would be as good and popular as its predecessors.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
You heard it, guys. The 64 community is pissed.

All six of them.
Chance that people will realize I'm joking this time? I say 10%.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
If there were to be a SSB4, each game would move down a notch in the forums. Brawl would be where Melee is now and so on. But that's saying the said SSB4 would be as good and popular as its predecessors.
Way to miss the point altogether. Please stop posting in this topic, you are wasting the server's bandwidth.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Nope, just need to put it after melee, its ok

TP

Smash Master
Way to miss the point altogether. Please stop posting in this topic, you are wasting the server's bandwidth.
You're telling him he is wasting bandwidth when you are arguing about the location of the SSB64 board in a Melee/Brawl combo video competition announcement, in which the higher ups have already explained their reasoning concerning SSB64?

You fail, sir.

:034:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Using his logic, Brawl would be where melee is now, and melee would be where 64 is now. I wonder how the melee community would respond if they were stuck under gaming... with people needing to use 'ctrl+f' to find their thread.

GryFx, you've missed the entire point of what we're saying... all we have been saying in the last few pages is we would like to have our own section (likely undre melee due to chronologicality of the games). How does this affect melee or brawl? Doesn't affect them at all (they stay where they are). How does this affect 64? Well... we have a spot that makes sense, it's bigger so people can actually see it... so it makes the 64 community grow and expand. Are you against the growth of the 64 community, or are you just being a troll?

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
I don't oppose it. I'm saying SSB64 is limited because of modern times. Most of the people play Brawl or Melee nowadays. It's not cool how SSB54 doesn't have its own section but the staff here has their reasons for it.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
... do you read your posts before you put them? Your last few have either nothing to do with what we're talking about, or are absolutely pointless (including your last).

At this point, your opinion is no longer valid to me... until you post something that actually is relevant.

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
When are people going to start posting combo videos?

Or do we need an announcements discussion discussion thread?

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
I actually love 64. The reason for the lack of 64 inclusion is I wanted something we could show to editors, media, and corporate people to really show off our community. And the problem is the game graphically looks too dated (whereas Melee/Brawl look somewhat similar) to give the right impression.

And the same issue stands (albeit not graphics) for brawl+. To include it opens a whole can of worms dealing with some of the people id like to potentially show the video off to.

That said it would be really cool to see some 64/brawl+ videos. I planned on doing some other contest in the future and we could certainly include them then. Another option if you guys are interested would be to allow both games with the stipulation that the community could select your video as top 5 and you could win premium but for the reasons described above you would not be selected as the winner. Because there will only be 5 slots we would have to limit it to one 64, and one Brawl+ included video submission maximum in the top 5. But if you guys are still pumped to do a submission even with the cant win 1st place stipulation im all for it.

just keep it at brawl...smash64=just naw..:(

brawl is a better game, thats what matters

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
LOL.

I KNEW that excluding Smash 64 would open up a can of worms that contains a bob-omb.
>_<

I thought you'd all see this coming.

Also, Melee people are not evil.

Anyway, I can't wait for the day people both casual and core look at the game for it's mechanics rather than graphics.

TANK64

Smash Lord
64 having its own section would not harm Melee or Brawl. I would actually be visible. I have to scroll down the page twice sometimes, and I know it's there. It would also be organized.

Would you give your word?
oh, and 1st place doesn't matter. Just don't exclude it.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Look, we are putting together some welcome resources and tutorials that will hopefully better educate new users and help them find the 64 section. We are exploring cleaning up the skin all together to something a bit better. I just switched the gaming heading to say including smash 64. So to say you are being ignored or anything is simply not the case.

I do not think you need your own heading but if the board/community grows its not something I would hesitate to do at that point.

Ultimately, this thread is about something good for the community. The Combo Video. Lets leave all the my game is the best, or we want this, stuff out of here. Its not the place.

So yes you guys officially have the green light to submit 64 and Brawl+ stuff under the condition of a maximum of one each in our top 5 and that it cannot win first prize (reasoning described in a previous post by me in here). I will get the announcements updated tomorrow.

As for the 64 people. I appreciate that you care and want to grow your community. Im all for people that want to do that, but could care less about people that just want to complain. So if you care about growing the community first step would be to get a great discussion leader as an ambassador for your community. PM any recommendations to "Virgilijus". Once appointed communicate anything and everything to that individual. You have ideas for contests, someone wants to write something for the smash news, whatever. He/She will have a direct link to me or other key staff and its a great way to make sure all your ideas get heard and we can make positive improvements.

This is the last I am going to post about that stuff in this thread. Like I said its not the place so I am going to ask everyone to respect that and take all other non combo video discussion elsewhere.

Zaccer

Smash Rookie
hey, cool idea.
I have just 1 question, so is it allowed to use the youtube message window for the text that say "Combo Video Tournament" and "Smashboards.com"? ^^

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
i actually think that splitting this contest into 2-3 categories would be the best thing to do!

In the end it will either end up being brawl-only in the top5 because there are way more brawl players lurking the board, or maybe a really good melee video will make it up to the top and win and then everyone is pissed about it being melee and not brawl
or if 1 or more melee videos make it to top5, and brawl wins, melee players will flame the hell out of everybody, because clearly, the melee vids were better...

and if you split into a few categories, you could also include ssb64 or even B+

my few cents

hope this contest turns out great though! good luck (and dont mess up MLG!)

JFox

Smash Hero
im not making one, so ill just give all you kids a hint. This video is going to represent this website, and they mainly want to attract the largest audience possible. They arent interested in attracting ssb64 players cuz no one plays that game and theres a very small audience. The main audience would be brawlers, with a decent amount of melee'ers too. So that means the winning video is obviously going to consist of both melee and brawl combos. Its obviously going to be flashy as hell, and probably consist of flashy combos that we've all watched a hundred times (like wombo combo), and probably wont limit itself to one or a few characters.

remember this video is just an advertisement scheme, nothing more. There's a perk for winning first prize, but remember they are a business. play by the rules and you'll have a much better shot than if u simply try to submit an original combo video of ur g&w beating up on high tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom