• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Q&A Thread

TreK

Is "that guy"
so can you guys help me out a little bit here, luigi V diddy,
in regard to stages, what should I be banning, the obvious answer is FD but is there a different level you should ban when using the weeg?

and as for counterpicking, I'm thinking stages that
A: mess up his banana game
B: let me fight him in the air as much as possible
C: have a low celing for early kills

so rainbow cruise would be the best choice right?
and if its not or if the diddy bans it, what else is good, halberd?
You don't necessarily want an airfight as Diddy's fair is really effective on Luigi
Negating the banana game is pointless as Luigi negates it by himself.
Low ceiling is okay ; but make sure the side blastzones are good. Diddy kills to the sides and by edgeguarding only, so a low ceiling helps Luigi and only him.
You want a stage that negates camping, as it's Diddy's only advantage over Luigi.
Ban -> DF or JJ
CP -> BF, Brinstar, Norfair if you know how to play on it (although your snake should do better there), RC unless it's Player-1, in no order (Brinstar is probably the best imo)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
RC is only good when your on boat thinggy though.

As Luigi really has a hard time moving around obstacles due to poor aerial movement, Diddy will strive from that and look for alot of gimps, upb spikes, dair spikes, diddy side bs etc.. l wouldn't do that stage imo. Not even my favorite stage either.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ok good input guys thanks I'll mess around with these and find out what works best for me.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
K I need a serious answer for this.

Anyone have a solution to a person who is good at observation skills but medicore in tech skill and a person that seems to choke alot and esp if he's down by alot in terms of %/stocks or what not, then starts thinking of massive johns in the back of his head and loses his focus/mentality on the match. *that person would be me T.T*
Deep breaths. Think about the next hit, not the next stock, not the next game.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Here's a common question:

Q. How do you do rising cyclones without jumping?

As for the DI question about the fSmash, you should DI forward (Luigi's forward) toward the corner of the screen. Chances are, though, you're KO'd anyway. That thing is beast.

Ninja_Sheep

Smash Rookie
I was messing around in training mode and found something weird with luigi.

If you stand right at the ledge, facing towards the stage and grab -> dthrow someone the dthrow is somehow different.
The dthrow slams the oponent offstage where he rebounds from the non existant floor a bit lower then when he rebounds from the normal floor.
This allows easier follow ups. A guaranteed utilt for example on low %. True combo.

Also kinda worked with ganondorfs dthrow, facing away from the stage. Leads into jab.

Is this known?

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
It's know but not well known. And even the people who know it can't pull it off on purpose in a real match... at least, I haven't seen anyone do it. You can chaingrab a few people at low percents this way, apart from using followups as you mentioned.

Ninja_Sheep

Smash Rookie
Is it really that hard?
I could imagine using the slide of his pivot grab you could pull it off relativly often.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Nope, it's really that hard. It's one of those extremely situational ATs. Yeah, you have to pivot grab... pivot grab too far and you'll instantly auto-release the grab, pivot grab not far enough and you'll dThrow normally. Not to mention, the opponent has to be near the ledge... a place nobody likes to stay. And then, if he is, he must not be attacking or avoid your grab with a spotdodge, which is what instinct will make them do when they see you running into them.

Don't take my word for it. Practice the crap outta it, even against a CPU, and tell me how many times you get this.

FUNKLAB

Smash Cadet
On what frame does Weegee's jab come out? And which of his aerials comes out in the shortest amount of frames(and what frame does it come out on)? Thanks in advance, guys.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Luigi's jab is greater than the greatest things in the world. Yup, even better than the barrack roll.
I need to stop doing the stupid full jab combo and learn the other followups ; I only know when to upB atm... Dsmash looks like the most useful

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
Me and my friend have been having this argument to whether the famous jab cancel up b is inescapable. I say it is escapable but he says its not. So what are the facts. I know that if i jab them before then hit the ground its inescapable but what about just a regular jab?

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
Because Xero isn't sexy enough to play the tall plumber, he has to play the short and slightly portly plumber in order to have the most success in playing.

Or... I just play Luigi like I play Mario, yeah that's probably it. I'm way too sexy for the first one.
I have the same ****ing problem with mario. I second main Wiji so when i play mario i see myself thinking i can fly like Wiji and keep thinking i can aproach with down b and worst of all thinking i can do nair into up tilt for a sexy combo. :(

TreK

Is "that guy"
jab-upB depends on the opponent's character. Read the chart better, that's the only way.
And stop double posting lol, there's an edit option

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Here's a more simple answer than you actually having to do some work for once in your life:

It depends on the character and the way you jab. If you jab correctly, it's inescapable for Olimar, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Luigi, Marth, Peach, Pit, ROB, Samus, Zelda, G&W, Ivysaur, DDD, Ness, TL, and Kirby.

AmishTycoon

Smash Cadet
Luigi is my main but I'm looking for a high tier secondary. I play Kirby a little bit, but I'd like to either add Falco or Wario to my arsenal. Who (Falco or Wario) would make a better secondary for luigi?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi is my main but I'm looking for a high tier secondary. I play Kirby a little bit, but I'd like to either add Falco or Wario to my arsenal. Who (Falco or Wario) would make a better secondary for luigi?
I personally always liked Wario more than Falco, Wario's just an awesome character.

Even though I don't use secondaries most of the time...I just say screw it and play the matchup, win or lose, I learn it better an in the long run, instead of dedicating my time to two characters, I become better just using one the whole time. And look better to boot lol. I only use G dub rarely...not to counterpick though, just for the hell of it.

And people, the only matchups I say you might need to counter pick is MK and an infiniting DDD.

Yes I didn't say Marth, i find him beatable...

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
No matchup disscussion of Luigi boards? There are matchups that aren't true at all like Luigi being 70/30 on Wario. Wario boards have it 50/50-55/45 Wario's favour.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Here's a more simple answer than you actually having to do some work for once in your life:

It depends on the character and the way you jab. If you jab correctly, it's inescapable for Olimar, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Luigi, Marth, Peach, Pit, ROB, Samus, Zelda, G&W, Ivysaur, DDD, Ness, TL, and Kirby.
Technically, every character can escape Jab -> Up-B, although it requires some DI and insane reaction speed. The correct statement is "unblockable under normal circumstances and reaction speed."

And most of the cast gets to block it anyway, which is why I usually don't like using Jab-> Up-B.

I like spotdodging -> Up-B. I also often just randomly run or walk up and Up-B when they're open. Powershield Up-B is technically the most reliable way to land Up-B and feels soooooooo good, although sometimes I've been lucky enough to just land it directly out of normal shield against people who don't expect it.

I like Jab cancel D-smash / F-smash a lot more. Both of those are pretty safe on block, and the former is actually unblockable against over half the cast. Jab cancel F-smash doesn't require me to be immediately next to my opponent in order to be in range. Yeah, it's easily blocked, just it's safe on block however. And I just realized, I seriously need to Jab cancel grab more lol.

Top Bottom