• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Q&A Thread

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Does anyone here read their opponents shield habits? like if my opponent drops their shield after like two secs a lot I use cyclone to hit them. Just curious it's been helping me a lot especially since it allows me to airdodge or run up and shoruyken.

steep

Smash Lord
Hey guys I have a question! Does anyone use grounded b reverse fireballs to counteract sliding after walking/running? I sometimes use a grounded b reverse fireball to catch an opponent off guard as they land near me or ever try to chase me. Given, most people won't be chasing Luigi… but hopefully this is something that we can talk about

Any advice on using this or not using it, and in what situations/against which characters you would suggest using it? Thanks in advance!

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
Pivot Fireballs is a mind**** all in itself. Use em only on opponents that are super aggro. Anyone else it's kinda meh. You summed it up really. Those that chase or you read the landing it's pretty effective. Other than that, it's just another AT to pick up for pizzazz.

steep

Smash Lord
Pivot Fireballs is a mind**** all in itself. Use em only on opponents that are super aggro. Anyone else it's kinda meh. You summed it up really. Those that chase or you read the landing it's pretty effective. Other than that, it's just another AT to pick up for pizzazz.
Ok thanks! Just wanted to get someone else's opinion on this too. I will keep that in mind as I play in the future.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
It mindfacks the opponent, nuff said

i spaced and then pivoted it.

it hit i started doing this to keep distance from ikes, it works GOOD because is some kind of confusion,''luigi, not sliding? physically impossible''
or sliding backwards, wich is really funny and good

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hey Luigi players, I'm thinking of picking him up as a secondary. I main Pit, so some of his tactics work with Luigi, but not really. I can see that Lugi is a lot slower and the traction is a killer.

*How do you combat his traction/shield?

*Also, what ATs do I need to learn and what do I need to be focusing on to become great with Luigi?

*How do all of you land up-b?

*How do you all predict/punish your opponents?

I feel that he is truly a pocket surprise character, and I'd like to be able to use him in tournamnet.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Hey Luigi players, I'm thinking of picking him up as a secondary. I main Pit, so some of his tactics work with Luigi, but not really. I can see that Lugi is a lot slower and the traction is a killer.

*Also, what ATs do I need to learn and what do I need to be focusing on to become great with Luigi?

I feel that he is truly a pocket surprise character, and I'd like to be able to use him in tournamnet.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245232
you can learn more about him in here^

other than that to answer you questions

1. I jump to stop the sliding or I'll try to use it in some way.
2. Ats not too many. Sliding dsmash, Iasa frames in his fsmash allows you to use another move a lot quicker, and fsmash slide.
3. we land up b with either good reads or jab to up b
4. idk I just guess where my opponent is going to be.

yoshq

Smash Master

shield as a last resort, otherwise try to walk and dodge attacks. dash dance or b reverse for traction
dthrow comboes. nado usage
good reads, but playing time is the biggest upb-reflex builder
walk around and freak them out, then do luigi bullshit and upb him somehow
asdf stuff

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Man Luigi is so good at KOing >_< I love playing as him now. How do you get high with the Tornado? What button do I need to rapidly press? Is there a technique that makes him go higher?

Also, is there a hitbox video of his moves? Where is the up-b hitbox located?

BSP

Smash Legend
Mash the Special button as fast as you can for maximum height on tornadoes.

I'm sure there's a hitbox video somewhere, let me look; but for up B in general, try to get all of Luigi's fist onto the opponent for the best results.

yoshq

Smash Master
Man Luigi is so good at KOing >_< I love playing as him now. How do you get high with the Tornado? What button do I need to rapidly press? Is there a technique that makes him go higher?

Also, is there a hitbox video of his moves? Where is the up-b hitbox located?
to go high with nado, don't fast fall.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Sup weegee boards.

Is there like a list of dthrow followups luigi has on each char at certain %'s?

BSP

Smash Legend
Stick with Uair and spaced Bair

If they start AD'ing, then hit them with Usmash.

Zori

Smash Champion
this might sound odd but what do you guys do after you get the kill lol, like in which was do you taunt with Luigi with out pressing the taunt button haha

Luigisama

Smash Champion
no, but this would be a VERY good idea for a thread. *cough* bc429 *cough*. dthrow is one of the biggest momentum changers you have in high intensity matches.
lol it would be a very short thread. I don't really focus on Dthrow as much beside the obvious dthrow to upair, dthrow mindgames which can lead to various things, and it's just the best way to start racking up percent on your opponent.

steep

Smash Lord
Ok guys, this may be the wrong place to ask this, but I am a Mario/Luigi/Olimar main and I have been having a lot of trouble dealing with Falco. Of my three characters, I've only really used Mario against Falco so far. How is that MU for the Green Thunder? What are some things I should know about that MU? Would you suggest using Luigi, or would I be better off using either Mario/Olimar?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Luigisama

Smash Champion
stay away from the grab.
Cyclone breaks down Falco's grab game.
duck under lasers.

There is more stuff in the Luigi mu thread and some videos too that can give you a good idea on the mu.

BSP

Smash Legend
Are you serious?

Also, if Fox or Falco ever Dash attacks your shield (and Falco doesn't Usmash to make it safe), just mash out an Up B and it will hit pretty much all the time.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
stay away from the grab.
Cyclone breaks down Falco's grab game.
duck under lasers.

There is more stuff in the Luigi mu thread and some videos too that can give you a good idea on the mu.
Just be aware that ducking under lasers only works for a low sh laser. You can't get under grounded lasers.

Lof

Smash Cadet
So yesterday while fighting my comrade as luigi I got off 15 super up b's in one game :0

TreK

Is "that guy"
dafuq, did you play a 15 lives match, or was your upB super-mega-stale ?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
What's the pros & cons on playing luigi?~
Pros
-He has kill power
-Not a lot of people know the mu since he is not used as much
-His shoruyken has psychological effects
-You can never count Luigi out. He always has something that can put him back in the lead

Cons
- He slides very faraway when he gets hit on shield
-people who try to pick him up have trouble mastering his rising cyclone without a jump
-slow airspeed
-A lot of the top tier characters make it difficult for Luigi to progress in tourney
-not a lot of range on his moves

TreK

Is "that guy"
May I add :

Pros :
-Has true combos in the only fighting game in the world where people dislike true combos, thus he can get on your opponent's nerves pretty quickly.
-Very few ATs to learn, Luigi's playstyle revolves around mastering Brawl as a whole.
-Does really well against a good half of the top tier.

Cons :
-Cannot approach someone who knows what he's doing and has the right characters/stages
-Cannot camp much, either, because his punitive options mostly cover defensive actions like spotdodges.
-Gets pretty much rolled on by a couple characters that all are top tiers, and thus overplayed.

Top Bottom