• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Q&A Thread

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Alright thats some good advice, especially on the downthrow part. I was also wondering that in general such I aspect a legit Falco to camp me or just fight me head on. And if its the former, should I either run or walk to approach him through the lasers?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Alright thats some good advice, especially on the downthrow part. I was also wondering that in general such I aspect a legit Falco to camp me or just fight me head on. And if its the former, should I either run or walk to approach him through the lasers?
walk because you can get your shield out quickier than running.

Napos

Smash Ace
Pleaae help with ics matchup. I had no idea what i was doing

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Havent played that MU in such a long time, but lemme see what I still know. Edit:Aerial>cyclone is one of you safest approaches like in most MUs so try to abuse that a bit. Use that to seperate them and start going after Nana once seperated. Watch out for their down B and side B because Im not quite sure what of our moveset beats that. Also watch out for desync tactics like down B>popo running at u going for a grab. Summary is just play it save, space well and if u get the chance to kill Nana go for it!

me9595

Smash Apprentice
ice blocks are usually beat by our cyclone, depending on the timing that we have, fireballs keep the blocks at bay for just a few seconds if you need the time, fireballs also go through blizzard to interrupt the blizzard wall. other than that, just dont get grabbed, as for when you get grabbed, if they drop it, most of the time, the IC's will try to regrab, at least in my experience, when that happens, either jump away or you could try for a fair or nair, but jumping away is probably safer, especially on a stage that has a platform you can jump to

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Sama comin to mah rescue yet again xD Do u also have an idea on how to approach G&W effectively, cuz thats where I struggle sometimes.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Sama comin to mah rescue yet again xD Do u also have an idea on how to approach G&W effectively, cuz thats where I struggle sometimes.
This is difficult to answer. Especially since G&w will be bair camping or throwing it out to bait.

I'd suggest approaching with bair when you know it will hit. Throw some fireballs, but mix them up like throw them when you know when G&w is going to jump or use them as fakes so you can drop to cyclone. You can also cyclone G&w and pop him up in the air then combo him from there.

This is what I think works best to approach G&w.

Edit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP1hTG7CGpo&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s

^just so you know this is a perfect demonstration on how to grab G&w during his bair.

me9595

Smash Apprentice
i wanted to know if i could get someone on here to test something for me with luigi, i havent had the chance to recently and when i did try to test it, my friend keep messing everything up.

anyways, what i want tested is very specific and has to do with diddy kongs monkey flip. i know that at a certain distance you can crouch under the flip, but what i really want to know is if you can do the crouch sliding and end up in a perfect position for like a forward smash or maybe even an up-b

Luigisama

Smash Champion
i wanted to know if i could get someone on here to test something for me with luigi, i havent had the chance to recently and when i did try to test it, my friend keep messing everything up.

anyways, what i want tested is very specific and has to do with diddy kongs monkey flip. i know that at a certain distance you can crouch under the flip, but what i really want to know is if you can do the crouch sliding and end up in a perfect position for like a forward smash or maybe even an up-b
you could also run the other way and avoid the monkey flip and punish with fsmash. But yeah I see what you mean. I'm not sure if it could help since you would have to avoid the grab boxes(not sure on the term) of the monkey flip and avoid the monkey kick.

yoshq

Smash Master

You can just shield upb it. It pushes you back anyway. It's actually pretty precise, you have to do it before he's done with the lag or he'll just jump or grab

me9595

Smash Apprentice
you could also run the other way and avoid the monkey flip and punish with fsmash. But yeah I see what you mean. I'm not sure if it could help since you would have to avoid the grab boxes(not sure on the term) of the monkey flip and avoid the monkey kick.
you can duck under both hitboxes if you are spaced correctly, that was the one thing i was able to test

@yoshq teh problem with that is if he decides to do the grab then he can still get you

yoshq

Smash Master
you can duck under both hitboxes if you are spaced correctly, that was the one thing i was able to test

@yoshq teh problem with that is if he decides to do the grab then he can still get you
Oh you mean you can duck under the grab? Yeah otherwise you just have to be reading it.

Napos

Smash Ace
sounds like you need to anticipate the jump b and be spaced exactly right

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Already speaking of Diddy, how do we play that MU exactly? Because until now Ive been going into this MU without a gameplan which has not been helping me out so far xD

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Already speaking of Diddy, how do we play that MU exactly? Because until now Ive been going into this MU without a gameplan which has not been helping me out so far xD
I personally think it is best to throw the bananas away because once the bananas are gone diddy doesn't do well against luigi. But luigi just has to watch out for side b grab since that move is pretty annoy especially when used right because after the grab diddy is put in the air and can pull out a banana while luigi is in his animation after he got hurt from side b.

If you want to get in unfortuanely due to luigi's slow air speed or floatyness cyclone helps in getting against diddy. I guess you could also Z catch to instant throw because it is a better option than use cyclone to get in since diddy can hit luigi out of his cyclone with a banana.

Other than that using the bananas against a GOOD diddy kong is pointless because they will catch the banana and it's hard to use bananas in a useful way for luigi.
When you get diddy offstage force diddy to use his barrels so you can either edge hog him or cyclone through his barrels.

Also if you want to what you can do with bananas is that if you have one throw it on the ground and if diddy throws a banana at you shield it or catch it. Note that the first banana you just threw is in your control now so diddy will trip on it if he tries to walk over it.

The best thing to do here is to mix the bananas or put your banana near diddy's banana that he has control over. Even if the diddy player knows which banana is his he still has to get through you to get it. So do your best to bait diddy into get control of his bananas and hit him if he tries to get them.

^ this may sound stupid to read or like when this kind of thing is put on paper, but when you see happen before your eyes it actually works. I've been in this situation so many times.

Last thing if you're in the situation on the ledge where diddy has one banana near the ledge preventing any jump land on stage, getup on stage, or cyclone onto stage. Also diddy has a banana in his hand and is shooting peanuts so that they fall over the ledge what you do is airdodge onto the stage. You airdodge onto the stage because you'll grab the banana and you'll be on the stage and once you're in this situation put up your shield to avoid getting hit by a banana and falling back on the ledge.

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Thnx Sama as usual xD Also Im considering of teaming with an Wolf main at an upcoming smashfest I might go. How would u guys rate Luigi/Wolf?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Thnx Sama as usual xD Also Im considering of teaming with an Wolf main at an upcoming smashfest I might go. How would u guys rate Luigi/Wolf?
Not sure. I've never teamed with a wolf. I would think that recovering would be different like recovery high, unless the wolf can side b cancel on ledge.

mrconcon

Smash Cadet
Revelations National Tourney

Yo guys, took M2K to last hit last stock both games. His words: "You're definitely the best luigi by far I've ever played, on a whole different level compared to Boss. "

Basically, what every Luigi needs to utilize now is my technique of PSC OoS FJ (Worked on M2K, caught him off guard alot) and reverse buffer it if you can. I averaged 4 Up B's per game in Doubles, and made

Top 4 Dubs with Pelca.
Top 13 out of 70-80.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opQRwaF5p8o

Peace.

yoshq

Smash Master
Revelations National Tourney

Yo guys, took M2K to last hit last stock both games. His words: "You're definitely the best luigi by far I've ever played, on a whole different level compared to Boss. "

Basically, what every Luigi needs to utilize now is my technique of PSC OoS FJ (Worked on M2K, caught him off guard alot) and reverse buffer it if you can. I averaged 4 Up B's per game in Doubles, and made

Top 4 Dubs with Pelca.
Top 13 out of 70-80.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opQRwaF5p8o

Peace.
Hooo mah gawd, PS OOS upb, you're so original, how could we hope to aspire to such greatness? Hate to break it to ya, but that's Boss in 09. It's a great technique, but it's not yours, and it doesn't win matches without underlying skill.

mrconcon

Smash Cadet
Hooo mah gawd, PS OOS upb, you're so original, how could we hope to aspire to such greatness? Hate to break it to ya, but that's Boss in 09. It's a great technique, but it's not yours, and it doesn't win matches without underlying skill.

I've been using it for years (If someone else found it out thats chill too), and finally using it to its almost highest potential. You'd be surprised on how well it actually works on MK, so many options for a Up B against most of his moves. And also, the recovery approaches I did with cylcone w/o jump messed with him alot, he could never gimp me. And ofcourse, I had to space like crazy, had to work in every possible approach and had to predict when to back away or sweep in with a reversed sweep grounded cyclone.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Talking about this video, there should be a summary in the vid description. Few people would have the patience of going through 11mn of video if they already know some of it.

TheWinrar

Smash Rookie
The video itself is a little difficult to understand at points too.

I don't think I was really able to learn much from it actually. But thanks for the effort.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Talking about this video, there should be a summary in the vid description. Few people would have the patience of going through 11mn of video if they already know some of it.
Thanks for the input I'll see what I can do about that. Most of the instructions I never really made anything specific like press a certain button since I know some people have different controls. Other than that I did the best I could do to explain somethings.

TheWinrar

Smash Rookie
Putting in specific button inputs would really help though. I don't think people have TOO varied control setups... and those who have unusual ones should be able to adjust for their custom settings.

yoshq

Smash Master
I've been using it for years (If someone else found it out thats chill too), and finally using it to its almost highest potential. You'd be surprised on how well it actually works on MK, so many options for a Up B against most of his moves. And also, the recovery approaches I did with cylcone w/o jump messed with him alot, he could never gimp me. And ofcourse, I had to space like crazy, had to work in every possible approach and had to predict when to back away or sweep in with a reversed sweep grounded cyclone.
That's more what helped you in the matches. Your cyclone tricks and high level-play spacing.
I'd be happy to do a write-up of my portion of the vid.

Grimmz

Smash Journeyman
What are the recommended controls for Luigi on a gamecube controller?

I play on default just so ya know : I

Grimmz

Smash Journeyman
I don't normally play with tap jump off on any character but my main but I should start doing it with certain characters that I choose to be my secondaries.

and idk if I should change R to special because that's the button I'm used to shield with .-.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Mine is default, except for :
L as jump because of the diddy matchup (it allows for easier jump cancelled tosses, aka more options when I have a banana), Y as grab because it counts as two inputs when mashing out of a grab and it's a button I never use otherwise.
I jump with the stick (john : I'm left handed).

Top Bottom