• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Q&A Thread

TheMike

Smash Lord
Luigi is my secondary, too. I use ROB against Marth, it is my main. My biggest problems are Meta Knight and King Dedede.

And I think Luigi isn't so tournament viable used alone. If you have a good secondary, things turn much better, obviously.

HyL!

Smash Lord
i secondary a ton of people, i use mk/rob for marth, ice climbers for mk, if you cp fd or whatever, but if that doesn't work i usually have an easy time with meta's with g&w

TheMike

Smash Lord
But ROB has the advantage. :)

He has gimps! He has a good camping game! And he has an guaranteed edge guard on Marth when above 40% with Bair, killing him whether he doens't have the second jump!

kigbariom

Smash Lord
If anyone has a second, can you link me to the buffering guide, or any other guides you find useful, I'll put the gist of them in the OP.

Thanks.

NNID
LilG912
Guys, it is me or wi-fi...

Some ppl says my Luigi is slow but it's smart cuz I know Luigi's match-ups, his neutral stages, and counter-pick stages. Of course, I read the guide and I know how to buffer his moves quickly like "D-air to fast-fall airdodge" or "F-air to fast-fall airdodge" cuz I watched Boss, but I don't get it, I dunno what 2 do make my Luigi faster. I have a very gud connection w/ players around the states, ex. CA, NY, FL, GA, LA, NJ and MI. I know offline matters, that's why I'm going to tournies after I graduate outta high school.

HyL!

Smash Lord
i can't stand luigi on wifi, everything i do seems to mess up, and get me killed, like fireballs turning into the side b move, all that jazz, it might be wifi, i can't even seem to do D air FF airdodge on wifi. even in a good connection. i only use luigi offline now D: which is a lot better for him imo

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
Can someone tell me how to fight Olimar, Diddy, MK, and possibly D3 as Luigi? Oli and Diddy because that's why I'm going to use them. MK and D3 because I know someone will switch to those characters.

I'm a nub Luigi who knows most of Luigi's moveset. I'm getting tired of losing to Diddy and Oli. :c

yoshq

Smash Master
Can someone tell me how to fight Olimar, Diddy, MK, and possibly D3 as Luigi? Oli and Diddy because that's why I'm going to use them. MK and D3 because I know someone will switch to those characters.

I'm a nub Luigi who knows most of Luigi's moveset. I'm getting tired of losing to Diddy and Oli. :c
braxton? that braxton?

BSP

Smash Legend
Guys, it is me or wi-fi...

Some ppl says my Luigi is slow but it's smart cuz I know Luigi's match-ups, his neutral stages, and counter-pick stages. Of course, I read the guide and I know how to buffer his moves quickly like "D-air to fast-fall airdodge" or "F-air to fast-fall airdodge" cuz I watched Boss, but I don't get it, I dunno what 2 do make my Luigi faster. I have a very gud connection w/ players around the states, ex. CA, NY, FL, GA, LA, NJ and MI. I know offline matters, that's why I'm going to tournies after I graduate outta high school.
Me too, I'm stuck with local stuff as well atm. I think I fought you on Wifi, but you didn't seem slow to me.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer

From YoshQ's response I must be 'supposed to know who you are, but I don't lol.

Anywho the Oli matchup can be summed up as Bair > Olimar. I kid of course but the key to this match is the fact that Oli can't attack you diagonally from the ground (where he would love to stay). As long as you can successfully space aerials into this dead zone where his only real option is either grounded UpB or go airborne (with the exception of shield of course) you can stay a step ahead of Oli for most of the match. It takes a little spacing practice of course but it's not too difficult to get a feel for it.

In the air Oli can't do a whole lot to beat you, though in most cases I would wager an Oli main wouldn't opt to go airborne on purpose. If they make this mistake punish them hard, and do your best to drive them offstage.

If they start some hard camping, or you're having difficulty getting past a pikmin wall a grounded DownB will work wonders. It murders pikmin, covers ground, and best of all pops Oli into the air with the last hit letting you start an aerial string.

Lastly for some reason Oli's hitstun animation makes him the perfect target for Jab->UpB, its pretty much a true combo unless you mis space the jab on a gargantuan level. Master SHADing into his dead zone and getting a jab in and he basically teleports to your fiery fist of justice (which kills him hilariously early I might add, before 40% on most stages).

Thats the basics of the lolimar MU I think, though some more experienced Luigi *coughYoshQcough* might correct me later. Then again on second thought this is the Luigi boards, you were lucky to even get one response. XD

I don't have much Diddy experience, but I think he suffers from roughly the same problems as far as dealing with your ability to float aerials over his banana game. You'll have to refer to someone else for more details on that one. Good luck.

P.S. hilariously when I ran the spell check the suggestion for replacing "coughYoshQcough* was "fishcake".

TreK

Is "that guy"
Vs Diddy, just don't get killed and you should win.
I mean, chances are you'll get KOed some day, like any human player would. But my point is that if you keep focusing about not getting into a situation where Diddy could smash you, you'll live up to 180 on each stock while you kill Diddy at 80 and can edgeguard him like a mofo.

Also, if you ever get the chance to steal a banana, do not waste it. Keep it until you notice an opening in Diddy's defense, and followup. Bananas aren't approach tools, they are punishing tools that lead into combos. If you throw it, even if you think you're being smart, the Diddy will 90% of the time read you because he's used to it.

vs Oli, I have no ****ing clue.

yoshq

Smash Master
lol that made me lol jdietz.

I'll just do the oli matchup because how j described it would be not at all how i would.

his pivot grab is the only thing you need to worry about in this mu. get inside and **** otherwise. to approach, it's pretty easy, just watch out for random fairs and pivot grabs. your nair goes through everything except his uair and upb, including usmash and fair. to approach, usually just do dair nair then buffer a jab, because if he's shield grabbing then the jab will hit before his grab comes out. remember for his grab, the pikmin has to run out and touch you for it to land; it's slow. if you get inside, have fun, and remember, when he's being juggled, he will either nair>some move, which you can nair right after his nair in this case, so spam A. if he air dodges, have fun. jab upb is guranteed once you land the jab, just make sure you are properly spaced to hit it. if you land a grab near the edge, always throw hiim off to make him nervous, and he will most likely save his jump until you get next to him, then jump and fair/uair. if you can hit him before this, use tornado or fair, and grab the edge if he's out of jumps. oh and one last thing, if he's just spammnig pivot grab, do not nado, instead just walk up and fireball. when you do this, he will do his side b. for that, do w/e you want, and i personally think fair>fireball is good against it.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Are there any hitbox/bubble pictures of Luig's Nair?
I cant find any thread D:

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Hmm, best stages is generally what's preferable for the player, but I think that his best ones are bf, lylat, and halberd.

Worse ones would be like fd, or actually any level in general where he's vulnerable to heavy camping.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
could someone tell me what follow-ups are guaranteed after a dtilt? be it a trip, normal hit, or the kind where they pop up a little in the air.

couldnt really find it anywere, thx in advance

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Olimar is a joke matchup, one of my favs, we **** the little piece of crap

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Unless the dtilt trips, I do not think really you can have any follow-ups after.

If it trips, well u have quite a few options such as hitting with an addition jab and causing mix-ups from the jab.

Hell, I think you can even fire punch them if they trip close enough to you.

Top Bottom