• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Ace
Umbreon said, I believe, that CF and ICs are the only true tie. I'll see if I can hunt down the quote.

EDIT: I fail at hounding quotes.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah, Peach is better against spacies and Sheik; Falcon only does better on Marth.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
It would be fun to see different big posts arguing for certain placings from people in the SBR. That stuff is fun to read. It'd be awesome if someone posted good posts from the threads in the SBR where they discussed the tiers
According to matchups, Marth should be at the top. He has exactly 1 bad matchup, and it's 45-55 against Sheik. >_>
You're forgetting falcon
Doesn't Peach do better against Falco and Fox? Those matchups seem pretty bad for Falcon...
Yhea she does. Falcon does way better against marth though. As for sheik it's fairly bad for them both

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
^^It's in falcon's favor imo. Although, if the marth gains a lead and edgecamps (if he doesnt have the lead he cant edgecamp cuz the falcon can just wait him out), he gets the advantage (no joke)
I agree that 60-40 seems more reasonable for marth/sheik. (sheiks favor, off course)

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
sheik vs peach from what i've always been told is even or 55-45 sheiks advantage.

eh.. if the marth doesn't know how to play falcon then maybe its a counter.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
JBM, I'm pretty sure most high level players consider marth vs falcon atleast a favourable matchup for falcon. Marth doesn't have many strong points in that matchup except edgeguarding.

BTW everyone, we should discuss low tiers, i just realized this thread consists of like 23 pages discussing the placing of like 4 chars lol.

Kirby is terrible and should be last. To be honest, I think pichu does so horribly in tournaments b/c noone bothers to play him b/c pikachu is basically the same character but better, so people just play pika instead.

Pichu moves fast, has decent combos and good finishers. Other then that he's horrible, but kirby is just horrible and nothing else.

I think M2 moving up makes a lot of sense imo, mainly due to his great maunuverability. He has a great DD and WD. He also has fairly good grab combos and setups, and good tilts.

Bowser is awesome and should be on the top of the bottom tier. Assuming that yoshi isn't in the bottom tier off course, b/c yoshi isnt bottom tier. After that: M2, pichu, ness and last kirby.

^^this is my opinion, im not criticizing the tier list or trying to state these things as fact

jugfingers

Smash Champion
I've already explained to you that the reason for that was largely stage. Mario is only viable on Final D and final D only. The character didnt make the difference, the stage.

I was thinking of something really sarcastic to say about how ridiculous it sounds to hear that the reason "M2K'S" MARTH lost to a MARIO was because it was on Final D. but everything I thought of saying just wasn't sarcastic enough.

seriously though whos mario was it?

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
I was thinking of something really sarcastic to say about how ridiculous it sounds to hear that the reason "M2K'S" MARTH lost to a MARIO was because it was on Final D. but everything I thought of saying just wasn't sarcastic enough.

seriously though whos mario was it?
it was probably boss. really good MD/VA player. one of the best mario/doc mains

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
This is the final tier list for Super Smash Bros. Melee. Completed October 2008. Approved by M3D. All values are conclusive and finalized.

Fox
Marth
Sheik
Falco

High
Peach
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Ice Climbers

Middle
Dr. Mario
Samus

Ganondorf
Donkey Kong
Luigi
Mario

Low
Link
Pikachu
Young Link
Roy
Zelda
Game and Watch

Bottom
Yoshi
Ness

Bowser
Mewtwo
Pichu
Kirby
Those are really the only things I would change actually. But they're all so close anyway, it really doesn't matter too much. This is a really solid list, and definitely better than the 2006-2008 list, which I don't feel anyone has agreed with for quite a while. This mad a lot of improvements that accurately reflected the metagame.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
wow, i'm surprised to say bowser is bottom tier, but in conclusive he is so..., but yes, this is definetly a solid list to go by.

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
Good to see Ganon moved up. But wow I can't believe how much of a difference there is between Falco now.
The tiers now also look more balanced instead , there's about 4-6 characters in each tier.

Niko45

Smash Master
I think the argument that the tier list being based on player skill being constant and also from tournament results is a complete contradiction. There are a ton of factors that determine character quality and its not wholesome enough to just use results.

There needs to be more specific definitions of what makes a character good. Are we talking about versus all 26 characters? Top tiers only? Upper and Top only? Also, what stages? Tournament neutral, counterpicks, all stages?

There are general inconsistencies with the "bottom line tournament result" argument because obviously some theory is going into this or you might think characters like DK would be higher (or what about Luigi moving up so much? Is Luigi really coming on strong in tournament like that? Doc? Samus?). Does there only need to be a handful of standout players with a character (ICs, Samus, Jigglypuff)to give it the bump on the tier list, or is it a stronger argument that the character is used effectively by many many players (top tiers)? I agree with the list strongly in general but not on the premises that it seems to have been created upon.

Also, that comment about pros underestimating their characters and overestimating characters they lose to was the best post so far. This tier list is very accurate in my opinion (top tier included).

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think Falcon does slightly better vs Fox than Peach does at high level, considerably worse against Falco, considerably better against Marth, and then Sheik is horrible for both of them.

Kirby is the worst character in the game.

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
you gotta be really careful with how you use tournament placings to provide character rankings, because what *i forget whoever said it, but the stuff about how marth is bettr than sheik because m2k does better vs spacies with him* said means that the tier list should be only the characters that make it to finals brackets. which means that almost the entire of bottom and low tier shouldn't even be on the list at all. from all of this, it means that the tier list obviously doesn't just show tournament rankings.

more than that, what if m2k ***** 3/4 of his bracket with sheik and does better with sheik in those matches compared to how his marth would go? would you discount that simply because he finds cg to be more comfortable to him personally against spacies? i mean really, saying that one character is better than another because some people find a certain playstyle more comfortable against like 3 characters is just stupid. otherwise link should have been next to marth a while back because he was counted as about even (but even back then he was still low tier).

going back to tournament ranking, if you want to say "the tiers reflect who will win in tournaments" then just rank players. the tier list reflects who is a better character regardless of who is playing them.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
This now finally proves that Marth is actually in the same league as fox,falco and sheik. As many pros have stated that marth was slightly under the other three, it seems as M2k and azen from late 06 to now have proven that he is part of the epitome of high level melee play, if ken did not prove his skills by becomeing the king of smash and beating japan's best andcreating the marth metagame that has made the character an MLG and other big tourney winner. Jiggs got up partially beacuse of Mango's amazing sucess and BUm did the same for donkey kong. Just looking at the 9.9 thing, can anyone in the SBR tell me how close marth was from passing fox for the number one spot?

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
how is mario better than doc? @JBM

pills and fair > marios

i just dont understand. I guess hes got a better recovery but they are both so horrid it doesnt matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom