• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo felt like they had to nerf Ness from N64 to Melee and Link from Melee to Brawl because they were great in casual gameplay. And I think we all know how few ****s Nintendo gives about the competitive community.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just pick a top tier, bones. Not posting in the PM forums is getting outplayed. :troll:

Max?

Smash Champion
Ness is among the worst in the game... but I don't see why people put him in bottom three when the other bottom feeders feel worse. His aerial game feels somewhat solid, and with his DJC he has potent jank. What makes people think he's that bad? I'm by no means claiming he's good or valid in tourney play, just curious....

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I think his biggest problem is that if he's offstage without a DJ, there really is no reason ever to let him return. At any percent. His aerials are definitely fairly solid and give him a surprisingly good neutral game... but dying for no reason is only acceptable if you can return the favor just as well, and while Ness has decent damage output and KO potential it's really nowhere close to offsetting his own fragility.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think his biggest problem is that if he's offstage without a DJ, there really is no reason ever to let him return. At any percent. His aerials are definitely fairly solid and give him a surprisingly good neutral game... but dying for no reason is only acceptable if you can return the favor just as well, and while Ness has decent damage output and KO potential it's really nowhere close to offsetting his own fragility.

Kirby can't recover even with all of his multiple DJs. Idk why Ness being effectively dead after losing his is a big deal. Most of the attacks that send Ness far enough away to make him up-B in the first place are going to outright kill Kirby and Pichu anyway.

Max?

Smash Champion
I think his biggest problem is that if he's offstage without a DJ, there really is no reason ever to let him return. At any percent.

This can be said for most of the characters in this game, including some of the top tiers. Admittedly, they have more options than Ness, but against a competent opponent, you should die all the same. Once again, it's very obvious he is fragile and has a bottom tier recovery, but why do people put him as the worst character in the game or even bottom 3 when it seems fairly obvious to me the other bottom tiers are sooo much worse. Looking for KK or Mow or someone good to answer this.

FourStar

Smash Ace
so i was wondering how everyone is saying that Captain Falcon is the last of the viable characters and that everyone else really doesn't matter. However i was wondering would the IC's be considered viable characters? cuz obviously they aren't great, but they also don't seem that bad either.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
I agree that wobbling boosts them up but i don't see why so many people leave out the IC's
I assume people tend to leave them out because there are a lot less ICs players on the main stage than the other top characters. They're definitely viable, especially with wobbling (we all saw wobbles at evo). But theyre barely viable, for the time being. Based on wobbles winning the crowd at evo, and the surge of new players after evo, I think within the next few years we can expect the IC metagame to develop significantly.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Ok ICs are playable is even less interesting than, "Ness is maybe worse than Kirby?!"

Expect it soon. Pointless speculation like never before.

john!

Smash Hero
ICs with wobbling are definitely viable. without wobbling... probably not viable at top level. it's really ridiculous that people want to take away a valid strategy for a character that's not even top tier. IC's basically NEED wobbling in difficult matchups, like vs. peach. honestly i think you could make the same argument for the freeze glitch as well... although IC's can be viable without it, it would be perfectly fine in my opinion to let them use the freeze glitch against peach. she would still win the matchup, but it wouldn't be a hopeless matchup for the IC's like it is now. having no hard counters is a surefire way to make a character more popular, which in turn will develop their metagame, and make melee more balanced and diverse overall, which will lead to a better competitive scene. it's a win-win. that's why i believe the ice climbers should have the right to freeze peach.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Freeze glitch leads to logistical issues due to opponents ending up in ungrabbable locations and getting frozen by ice blocks and blizzard.

TKD

Smash Lord
The list is kind of really outdated, isn't it? Dr. Mario gets top 8 at every international tournament and yet he's below Captain Falcon and ranked in the same tier as Samus and Ganondorf (these last 2 being pretty much garbage characters, at least in 1v1), none of which will ever get top 8 in the future most likely. There's a small chance that Hax can reach top 8, but Shroomed does it consistently.

If you take international tournaments taken place in the current meta, Dr. Mario should be ranked 7th or at least 8th in my opinion, and in the Falcon/wobbleclimbers category instead of the Samus/Ganon cat (imo, Dr Mario is equal to or better than Falcon, and definitely better than non-wobbling IC).

Sometimes, I also think Jigglypuff is overrated, because only one player really excels at playing the character...so it's more due to that singular player than the meta itself. This would contradict my Dr. Mario thought though, as he's also represented by only one top player.

Most importantly I think that this thread could be beneficially replaced by a thread with 1~5 tier lists, each made by a world-class player (Mango/PP/Armada/M2K/Hbox) for a more accurate overview on character strength. Even with only 1 top player's tier list it would be more accurate than a 2010 community-made list.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
There's a new list out, but it really didn't change much since this version, and the voting process was a bit odd, so its largely been disregarded

Max?

Smash Champion
There is an argument that Doc is better than CF, and non-wobbling Icies, but it will be shot down.

FourStar

Smash Ace
doc is fine where he's at IMO. he's not better than falcon and one player does not determine a whole metagame for a character

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Fox>Falco (Hypothetically) Falco>Fox (Reality)
Sheik>Marth>Jiggs
Pikachu>Ganon
Young Link>Yoshi>DK

Who else is with me on these statements

john!

Smash Hero
ICs with wobbling are definitely viable. without wobbling... probably not viable at top level. it's really ridiculous that people want to take away a valid strategy for a character that's not even top tier. IC's basically NEED wobbling in difficult matchups, like vs. peach. honestly i think you could make the same argument for the freeze glitch as well... although IC's can be viable without it, it would be perfectly fine in my opinion to let them use the freeze glitch against peach. she would still win the matchup, but it wouldn't be a hopeless matchup for the IC's like it is now. having no hard counters is a surefire way to make a character more popular, which in turn will develop their metagame, and make melee more balanced and diverse overall, which will lead to a better competitive scene. it's a win-win. that's why i believe the ice climbers should have the right to freeze peach.
have the right to freeze peach.
i'm disappointed in you guys.

Top Bottom