• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padalink

Smash Rookie
No one has ever mentioned this. I've never even tried since I though that would only result in a bomb upthrow (and there would be no purpose to jc-ing and upthrow). I wish I could try it, but I'm lending my wii out for like and month and a half. (i'm gonna be soo rusty :ohwell: )

Here's a few tips. I see that you're just starting to beat cpu's, so really, you have a long way to go. Reading guides, watching vids, and getting tips helps, but what you really need to do is get practice against real players. I suggest you play some Links as it will help you realize how to use his moveset. But definitely play other characters because it forces you to think and space more because Link is usually at a disadvantage.

Real life is better, but if you don't have anyone to play with do wifi. And play many different people and not just one person so you don't fall into the trap of learning one style of playing.
I've read most of the guides already and I've been practicing the DAC and a few other things. I don't actually use DACs and I spam smashes way too much. My SHFFs are pretty crappy as well. I have a lot of basics to work on. I think I'll join some sort of ladder or start by practicing with the other links here.

padalink if you want to be able to send me replays you have to give me your wii # and brawl FC
Anyone else, feel free to add me.

0070-3689-5513-4100
0302-2118-5052

Btw, I remember reading on allisbrawl a while back that Deva, Legan and Arkive were offering lessons to link newbs. Are you guys still doing that?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
O_o no....

My god Havokk, if the tier list still existed, I'd recommend you for the "knowing the most things that people usually overlook or don't pay attention to" award. Yeah, someone else can think of a better/shorter title, I'm too lazy.

ROFL

Jeez, 4 posts is all he's got and he already knows that. LOL too good
I want to sig that...thinking about it. :laugh:

Padalink

Smash Rookie
O_o no....

ROFL

Jeez, 4 posts is all he's got and he already knows that. LOL too good
What's up dude? I became inspired to play Link by watching Izaw's video. It led me to these boards and your guide gave me the basic understanding of Link (at least conceptually). Hopefully the link swarm will guide me so I can beat my douche-bag friend. And Archivezero will someday lead me to greatness (okay not really lol).

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Should I make a topic about the JC reverse, and non-reverse item-holding smashes for the Link boards or no?

Also, please do ignore my part about DAC with bomb from ground... I'm a ****** and forgot c-sticking down would result in a bomb throw >.> .... lmao
What's this reverse business you're talking about, i thought you were said it was about the upsmash while holding an item?

SuSa

What's this reverse business you're talking about, i thought you were said it was about the upsmash while holding an item?
Read my thread. You can reverse the direction you are facing before performing the up-smash by pivoting, then JC'ing the usmash with a bomb.

Man people overlook things in this board. =p Maybe I should just make one giant post of.

'everything I've ever found, possible applications, and how to perform them also random other stuff that people overlook or didn't know about'

lmao....

I'd have

Bacl
double tap
triple tap (ignore names, old old post as well, I've found some uses, however SMALL AND highly situational...)
bal (same as bacl, grounded =p and it works if they don't tech)
boomerang knockback mechanics and blah blah blah - it's fixed per character, and not SET.
JC usmash with bomb + reverse JC usmash with bomb
random useless info (you can only have two bombs out at one time :( )
revive and find more jab lock setups, besides AAA, fthrow, and bthrow into a returning boomerang.... find less situational ones as well
etc.
lock frames - once I do the testing and get the data....

sasook

Smash Champion
Read my thread. You can reverse the direction you are facing before performing the up-smash by pivoting, then JC'ing the usmash with a bomb.

Man people overlook things in this board. =p Maybe I should just make one giant post of.

'everything I've ever found, possible applications, and how to perform them also random other stuff that people overlook or didn't know about'

lmao....

I'd have

Bacl
double tap
triple tap (ignore names, old old post as well, I've found some uses, however SMALL AND highly situational...)
bal (same as bacl, grounded =p and it works if they don't tech)
boomerang knockback mechanics and blah blah blah - it's fixed per character, and not SET.
JC usmash with bomb + reverse JC usmash with bomb
random useless info (you can only have two bombs out at one time :( )
revive and find more jab lock setups, besides AAA, fthrow, and bthrow into a returning boomerang.... find less situational ones as well
etc.
lock frames - once I do the testing and get the data....
Go for it, unless you feel it's more appropriate to post in 1 of the now 2 metagame discussions we have....both of which seem to be at a standstill lol.

Btw, Blubba's a master at bombstoollocking. I think he's gonna make a vid of it.

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
So I was playing with Ritch and i found something very intresting.

HE STAGED SPIKED ME WITH F TILT!!

How to do.

1. We were on PMS1. So i assume you need boxed type of ledges (or similar ledges)
2. I was hanging on the edge
3. He hit with a very specific part of the F-Tilts hitbox. (the one that sends you backwards.)

There must be a hitbox at the bottom somewhere. probably designed so that if Link was on a platform and you are behind him and jumping into his ftilt, you might get sent backwards.

THIS IS ALL SPECULAITION

NEED TESTING!!!!!!
im still in shock that i pulled this off XD

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Oh snap Swordplay. Imma need to do some testing of my own. This looks interesting. :D

Tested, wasn't getting too many results. Did he ledge hop? Because the hitbox that sends you backward is on your back ._. I can't pull it off. I tried FD. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Oh snap Swordplay. Imma need to do some testing of my own. This looks interesting. :D

Tested, wasn't getting too many results. Did he ledge hop? Because the hitbox that sends you backward is on your back ._. I can't pull it off. I tried FD. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

There might be certain requirements.

I don't believe i ledgehoped. And I don't remember DIing it

All I can say is that try in on PMS1 not FD. FD has sloped edges so it may notwork. But those new PMS1 ledges are weird and that is were it worked..

If it didn't send me backwards I was probably hit down and DI'd into the stage or something.

I can't replicate it either though. It might have been a one time fluke.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Sorry to go off topic but:

Do I need to implement AT's into my gameplay to get better with Link?

I've been playing him for a while now and it's really just bugging me at how terrible I am with him. I picked up ganon really fast, but my Link never seems to get any better. I'm just wondering if to take the next step I need to use more than the basics.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

I've been playing him for a while now and it's really just bugging me at how terrible I am with him. I picked up ganon really fast, but my Link never seems to get any better. I'm just wondering if to take the next step I need to use more than the basics.
Only a few ATs would boost up your game. The majority of ATs are there for mindgames and doesn't actually make you "better", just give you more options. Not to say they're useless, but you'll still be using the basics majority of the time.

I'd say DAC and Arrow Canceling are the most important ATs to learn. Otherwise it's just knowing the match-up and what you should do for any given situation.

Hue

Smash Cadet
I definitely would suggest learning to jab lock and pivot boost, those can both be extremely helpful in a match (not always, but sometimes).

sasook

Smash Champion

You don't need any ATs to be good with Link - look at Deva, the best Link out there with an almost absolute basic style. He just doesn't feel the need to use them because 80% of Link's ATs are for show and don't fully work at the highest level of play.

That being said, now I'll give you an opinion coming from a very technical Link.

Personally, I believe ATs made a difference in my game. I just perform better with them overall, and I feel it's easier to mix things up with them because there's so many of them. I started with Izaw's video, but when I learned it was still missing a lot of ATs, I researched and I learned the rest. The main reason why I know how to perform so many ATs is because I needed to learn them in order to explain how to do them for my guide.

So there you have it - you don't need them, but it doesn't hurt to know them.

EDIT: lol I just noticed Swordplay got the 1000th post on his own topic. Win.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?

I agree with Sasook. You don't necessarily need them, but the really add options to your gameplay. Bombsliding has really improved my spamming game, and the DAC helps surprise my opponents (when I actually manage to do it right).

But, if you really want to learn to play Link, master Link's limits first. I used to always just double or triple tether for my ledge mindgames and then feel forced to get up onto the stage. But if you fastfall off the ledge and then jump ASAP, you can regrab the ledge without using a tether and without coming into range of most attacks. I've also learned that if the enemy is right up against the ledge when you do this, you can fair... and it will hit them without you coming into your opponents hit range (just be careful on stages like FD, because you are prone to pressing forward too hard and you get stuck under the stage when you UpB).
A couple of other limits are Link's uair and dair. If you double hop his uair and whiff the hit, he'll return to the stage without any landing lag. Sometimes if you bounce off of your opponents shield with dair, you can land the first hit of your bair and then punish your opponent.
So find out everything Link can do without AT's before moving onto them. AT's are most useful where they are unexpected.

Kief

Smash Ace
hey guys i've been in a huge slump lately. so bad i've even found myself actually performing better with other characters, that i dont use near as much. i dont know if its because of the slump im in, or just because link is a bad character, so sometimes you will perform better with others just cus they're better. so does this happen to anybody else?

p.s. for anybody who may care, dont worry, i wont ever switch mains.

Kief

Smash Ace
Thats a good thought and may be true for this one person i play, but im also having this problem with new people. Like for example i did this match in a league thing on wifi. It was best 3 of 5. I got creamed as Link the first match, but won the next one as toon link (sorry TL haters) and almost won the one after that as pit. Then i lost again as link. But i dont use TL or pit even close to as much as i use link. I hope this is just one nasty slump that i'll get out of...

sasook

Smash Champion
Pit and TL have recoveries.

Link's harder to use is all, stay dedicated and you'll get better over time. It's takes a long time, so don't expect to win overnight.

Kief

Smash Ace
sad thing is though is i've been playing him for a really long time and i think im actually starting to get worse. i cant do things i could do a month ago. before i started playing wifi, i could only practice against computers so i fought level 7's and i 3-stocked them fine. then today for the heck of it i played a few again and i cant 3-stock them.

sasook

Smash Champion
Forget CPUs, they only make you worse. Play humans if you want to get better, offline. If you can't, go wifi. It's not the best, but it's still actual people.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
I have a question.
For Sasook, Anonano, KirinBlaze and some others who expect me to be a great Link mainer / the next Deva.

Why do you guys continue to believe I posess such potential when I'm not even as good as half the Link mainers on these boards?

Also another question, does the wavebird actually make a difference in terms of timing? For some reason, I can't really powershield everything on a wavebird as opposed to a wired controller...

Kief

Smash Ace
Forget CPUs, they only make you worse. Play humans if you want to get better, offline. If you can't, go wifi. It's not the best, but it's still actual people.
i know i was just doing that to see if i could still 3-stock them...i play wifi mostly.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
Ok imagine this extremely situational....situation :laugh:
Link is at the edge of FD againts a Mario. Mario charges up his FLUDD and when fully charged Link starts charging up his Up-B and while it's charging Mario shoot his fully charged FLUDD at Link pushing him off the stage.
What happens? Does Link's Up B still charge when he's pushed off the stage or does it automatically release?
Imagine the same situation but this time it's in a Link ditto match and the other Link throws his galerang pushing the other Link off the stage while charging his Up B...what happens??

SuSa

Link is at the edge of FD againts a Mario. Mario charges up his FLUDD and when fully charged Link starts charging up his Up-B and while it's charging Mario shoot his fully charged FLUDD at Link pushing him off the stage.
What happens? Does Link's Up B still charge when he's pushed off the stage or does it automatically release?
Imagine the same situation but this time it's in a Link ditto match and the other Link throws his galerang pushing the other Link off the stage while charging his Up B...what happens??
He gets pushed off and does his up-B like normal, sometimes it actually gimps you and you can't recover.

Depends how strong the push is.

linkmaster71

Smash Rookie

Usually, you can't use your upB again. It has happened to me many times. Unless you had a bomb, you are pretty much gimped.

SuSa

How i do wavebouncing with wiimote+nunchuck?
As of now, wavebouncing is near useless for Link, makes DI harder (which is important for Link), and I wouldn't suggest doing it.

I thought it was awesome for about 2 days, until I went from average life of 180%~ to average life of 140%~ , I kept trying to throw a boomerang or pull a bomb when I wanted to fsmash/dsmash and obviously got hit, and when I was wavebouncing while trying to recover, often times gimping myself.

I know it's because I wasn't used to it, but even then theres not many 'pros' to it either...

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
yep it counts as ur recovery
similar to when my gale pushes someone off the stage as they use their grounded upB
Funny to watch tho

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
If you continue to charge your UpB as you go off stage the UpB cancels and you are free to use your second jump and UpB to recover. It's like in Melee, where if you daired the edge of a platform, your momentum would carry you off the edge and autocancel the dair and its landing lag.
However, once you initiate the actual attack and you get pushed/fall off stage, then you complete the UpB in the air and initiate your helpless state. Since Link's UpB gets its propulsion almost exclusively from the initial frames of the UpB, and Link doesn't get those when he falls off stage, he'll just fall downwards like the rock he is.

WaffleZ, you live near Deva, and you have way more opportunity then 3/4 of us to actually play Smash and get good at it. Plus you've already improved a huge amount since you first started; way more than most of us. That's why.
We've already been over this. ;)

Kief

Smash Ace
so i've discovered a flaw in my game in that i need better defence. while playing link dittos i noticed that my opponent was able to shield the last two hits of my jab despite me hitting with the first. however i couldnt do it to them. also i would shield their attack, then try a d smash but they would shield it, but when they shielded my attack and followed with a d smash, i couldnt get my shield up in time.

so does my shield game just suck or is there some other way of doing it/strategy that works better than just hitting the L/R?

sasook

Smash Champion
What Havokk said. I did this by accident to Anon once, you basically get pushed off and do an aerial upb....without moving upwards. You fall while doing an aerial spin attack. And then fall to your doom.

so i've discovered a flaw in my game in that i need better defence. while playing link dittos i noticed that my opponent was able to shield the last two hits of my jab despite me hitting with the first. however i couldnt do it to them. also i would shield their attack, then try a d smash but they would shield it, but when they shielded my attack and followed with a d smash, i couldnt get my shield up in time.

so does my shield game just suck or is there some other way of doing it/strategy that works better than just hitting the L/R?
I can't really understand what you mean, to be honest.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
hey guys i think ive found sonething useful about Link's jab cancel. Now i only play online so maybe thats why it works but oh well; when u do a jab cancel into a grab u can pummel them until they are released from the grab right? Once they release, try another jab cancel into a grab and either pummel into a release or throw them. Now this probably isnt really new and is definetly escapable but u can get some decent damage on the opponent. Also i only advise doing it once because trying a jab cancel x3 will likely get u punished. This doesnt work on luigi because he slides far away from grab releases but nobody pays attention to luigi anyways

SuSa

It might work on Ness or Lucas, wouldn't work on anyone else.

Look at frame data ;P you recover at the same time as your opponent ( I do believe ) but Ness/Lucas recover 10 frames later then anyone else, so usually if the moves under 10 frames you can hit them with it.

/I'm not 100% sure if what I say is right, but I'm pretty **** sure.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
k but then again it depends what the opponent tries to do once they are released from the grab

SuSa

Most people jab once they realize "My opponent hasn't thrown me in 3 pummels and I'm at 20%"

You also have slightly more lag then them (almost certain of this) so they have a frame advantage.

I brought up grab releases before (remember my GR Wario thread?)...

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
QFT

10notbeinghereinawhiles

Sorry for all this absence again. Too much WoW lol But yeah, that's all I can get now, computers. :( I'd like to play more people.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
QFT

10notbeinghereinawhiles

Sorry for all this absence again. Too much WoW lol But yeah, that's all I can get now, computers. :( I'd like to play more people.
there's a tourney in philly if u haven't heard yet and there's a lot of people going.

sasook

Smash Champion
Twilight, your thing only works on the Earthbounders, Wario, and Ike, from what I remember. It's different per character, and sorta tricky to pull off in the sense that it's very situational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom