• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~~Official Link Metagame Discussion~~

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Cool stuff
I'm going to go try this out. :D Seems pretty good for mind games and a quick surprise. And by the description (the original one, not my edited one), I'd say this'll be effective on characters that have multiple jumps. Let us test, shall we?

And edited after testing and doing all of Link's ATs: Dang, I must say, that was pretty sexy. Nice find guys (I say "guys" cuz Blubba also found it but never thought of it >_>)

QingXin

Smash Cadet
I've actually never heard of that Bomb Drop Hug thinger... I think I'll try it out :D

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
HEY GUYS I THINK I MIGHT BE ON TO SOMETHING

Basically a way to edgeguard.. Not sure how effective it can be, but it's pretty safe. Take out a bomb, go off the edge, z-drop the bomb, and hug the edge. lol I dunno, I randomly did this and it looked pretty cool. It could be used to edgeguard ZSS.. like you're edgeguarding with a bomb, and you steal the edge from her, with a possibility that the bomb will stagespike her. It just looks really cool.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone do this, but it's similar to that Peach edgeguard in Melee, where she floats to the edge with a turnip, drops the turnip and grabs the edge.
Don't care about the name.
Bomb Guard Hug Wave Canceling?
Doesn't really need one.
You can probably do this > ledgehopped d-air > ****
Interesting... I will add it to the metagame discussion. As for uses, I think that there are a few good stage spikes, especially against tether recovery characters. It could kind of be like an "ultimate bombguard" if you:

Serial Ledgebomb->Ledgehop Bomb->Bomb Upthrow

and as for a name, Serial Ledgebomb has a nice ring to it. Or it could be called "ledgehop bombdrop", which is a modified version of bomb dropping. This technique also eliminates the opponent's ability to ledge jump, ledge attack, and climb up from the ledge, which only leaves them the option to roll or wait for the bomb to explode. Either way, I forsee this being a helpful technique.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
I'm going to go try this out. :D Seems pretty good for mind games and a quick surprise. And by the description (the original one, not my edited one), I'd say this'll be effective on characters that have multiple jumps. Let us test, shall we?

And edited after testing and doing all of Link's ATs: Dang, I must say, that was pretty sexy. Nice find guys (I say "guys" cuz Blubba also found it but never thought of it >_>)
nah, give the cred to 4serial. i may have knew of it, but i never thought twice about. lol

hmm... IF we name it, i like short, simple, clean names. something like, "Bomb Hug" or something. long AT names are annoying lol

4Serial

Smash Lord
lol just say the link community found it
I was thinking something like that too, Bomb Hugging.

LOL@serial ledgebomb

that is amazing

NintenJoe's my favourite poster

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
4Serial's Bombguard? SerialBombs? SerialBombspike? 4Serial Ledgebomb?

If this works, every time I stage spike someone, I will yell: "ARE YOU FOR SERIAL??!?!?!"

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
4Serial's Bombguard? SerialBombs? SerialBombspike? 4Serial Ledgebomb?

If this works, every time I stage spike someone, I will yell: "ARE YOU 4SERIAL??!?!?!"
Fixed lulz

XD NinteJoe, those names are too good. I'll yell the same thing if I bombspike someone.

And this is how the match goes:

"ARE YOU 4SERIAL?!?!?!?!"

"Will you "Serial-ously" shut up?"

"You're just jealous because I'm more Serial because I main Link."

"Stfu."

"XD"

End of discussion. "Are you 4Serial?" is a new Link joke. Serial-iously. (no offense to you 4Serial XD)

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
D: No one liked it? :( Meh whatever. It was an excuse for a new Link joke lol
Blu-Link, stop messing around and take this discussion Serial-iously, will you?

Now that I posted on this thread, I feel like I should have something useful to say that will contribute to the Link metagame. Unfortunately, I'm not that good, so... uhmm...

...Link has a sword. It... cuts stuff?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
...Link has a sword. It... cuts stuff?
Yes, it does.

I'm going to start testing the 4Serial Bombguard and Gale Return.

P.S. THere are some stupid things I've figured out for myself: If you hold a direction and throw a bomb/boomerang, it covers less distance than when you press "B" and forward at the same time. Short throw boomerangs are good for Boomerang cancelling, long throws are good for returns. Thoughts?

4Serial

Smash Lord
wow guys
it's not serial-iously
it's serially

YOU DON'T BELIEVE I MAIN LINK?! WHY WON'T ANYBODY TAKE ME SERIALLY

yeah NintenJoe, the boomerang is like that
I believe the long-ranged ones Links are used to are Smash Boomerangs. Kinda like how Samus' missiles work, the one that travels streight and fast are called Smash Missiles.
Smash Boomerangs are generally better in all cases, because it covers more space and gives more stage and aerial control. I guess the the short boomerangs could be cool for boomerang canceling d-airs and stuff.

sasook

Smash Champion
P.S. THere are some stupid things I've figured out for myself: If you hold a direction and throw a bomb/boomerang, it covers less distance than when you press "B" and forward at the same time.
I thought this was common sense, otherwise I'd have mentioned it a long time ago lol.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Did you know every character in brawl has this weird AT besides Ivysaur, Link and sometimes Olimar. I having trouble remembering its name....... O yah I think its called recovering or something along those lines.

sasook

Smash Champion
Did you know every character in brawl has this weird AT besides Ivysaur, Link and sometimes Olimar. I having trouble remembering its name....... O yah I think its called recovering or something along those lines.
Okay?....

You're saying Link has a bad recovery. Thank you Captain Obvious. Anything else you'd like to explain to us?

I must say, it was rather fascinating to find out that Link has a bad recovery. I mean, really, I never would have thought of that. I don't these boards understand our character enough. You should explain to us how being off stage with Link is bad. Seriously, enlighten us.

I could say shut up and get out, but I'm just gonna say to please comment with some sort of message that would contribute to the topic/boards, or don't post at all.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Captain Obvious....The name suits you well.

I think I'm just going to call you.........stupid

Get off our board Fatsy.....thats right Fat and Stupid....

Anyways....I recently joined the Ban meta knight group.

I must say. I am having some intresting discussions with some intresting people about what a metagame would be like without meta. A very credible person thinks that a few low tier characters (including Link he said) might rise a little.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Captain Obvious....The name suits you well.

I think I'm just going to call you.........stupid

Get off our board Fatsy.....thats right Fat and Stupid....

Anyways....I recently joined the Ban meta knight group.

I must say. I am having some intresting discussions with some intresting people about what a metagame would be like without meta. A very credible person thinks that a few low tier characters (including Link he said) might rise a little.
Imo, I think Link and Samus both have the potential to get in the bottom of mid tier if a mk ban were to occur.

They both have close to even matchups against Snake(well maybe not Link, but he does decent) and since you'll be seeing a lot more Snake with MK gone, I think this could be a realistic possibility.

Link_hero_Tubs

Smash Rookie
one thing i noticed about the reverse D tilt spike ... i was just messin around today but yea .. the reverse D tilts spike hitbox is actually a lil above links head. if u look carefully he raises the sword above his head slightly before he swings down. As its above his head u can hit someone with the reverse spike hitbox as long as theyre a lil above u. in the sasook video mario is slightly above link from the ledge hop.. anyways i dont have any recording equipment so u guys can just hit up training mode lol .. also sorry if the hitbox location was already confirmed but.. with this location .. is there anyway to actually combo into it lol.

sasook

Smash Champion
one thing i noticed about the reverse D tilt spike ... i was just messin around today but yea .. the reverse D tilts spike hitbox is actually a lil above links head. if u look carefully he raises the sword above his head slightly before he swings down. As its above his head u can hit someone with the reverse spike hitbox as long as theyre a lil above u. in the sasook video mario is slightly above link from the ledge hop.. anyways i dont have any recording equipment so u guys can just hit up training mode lol .. also sorry if the hitbox location was already confirmed but.. with this location .. is there anyway to actually combo into it lol.
Awesome find/info. I'll try this out. Also, put this into the Official Dtilt Spike thread.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
One thing that could prove very useful for this thread would be some frame data. If i'm correct I believe there is none on this board.......I checked. Frame data would be really good for those wishing to take their game even farther. Sure, you already have a basic idea of which attacks are Links fastest, but you also need things like shield drop data and things of that nature....just something I thought i'd point out.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
No worries about the vid man. I got it covered. I can't do slow mo but I can zoom in on it and see whats up. The vid is entitle "SEE IT DOES EXIST! WE'RE NOT CRAZY!" I have yet to edit it. Expect it up on my channel by about Sunday.

I have a thought, what about spotspamming, could that be the future of link, somebody who remembers how it was to fight a melee ness? anyway I just wanted it to get out there.

4 cereal with Milk! and Wafflez.

you called?

Spotspamming as in.......... Pit?
Link's movement spamming is way more cool and it makes people hot
I don't remember fighting Ness like that...

in fact

I don't remember fighting Ness at all.
well everytime i met a melee ness he was spotspamming all the time maybe he was like in panic or something, I remember spotdodge spammers anyhow cause I wanted to ****ing strangle them, lols

EDIT: oh I see i wasnt clear, I meant spamming spotdodges as in trying to be very defensive, as in holding L and frequently push down on control-stick and c-stick like crazy to make it frame perfect. In melee you just needed to hold c-stick down if I remember correctly.

4Serial

Smash Lord
oh, buffering spotdodges
dash dance mindgames > spotdodge spammers lol
but yeah, I really dislike people that just stand there mashing B (pit players, wolf players)........
LIKE HOW THE **** DO YOU HAVE FUN WITH THE GAME WHEN YOU DO THAT **** <_< QUIT LIFE
At least Link runs around when he spams and camps D:

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
DD mgs fo show. I almost always DD before a rang. Keeps em guessing what I'm about to do. I should mix it up and use a DAC. XD

oh, buffering spotdodges
dash dance mindgames > spotdodge spammers lol
but yeah, I really dislike people that just stand there mashing B (pit players, wolf players)........
LIKE HOW THE **** DO YOU HAVE FUN WITH THE GAME WHEN YOU DO THAT **** <_< QUIT LIFE
At least Link runs around when he spams and camps D:

yea but the panic and fear they show as you get closer without being hit is really satisfying, and bouncing off pits arrows with dair for recovery is also very satisfying. they are in a loose, loose situation, either the match is booring cause they play against some noob or they play against someone that can avoid their spam and hit em in the face. I think I will make up a new religion called: Smashism. If you play a cheap character just to win you are going to hell where you have to play smash the rest of your life with only your b-button working. not sure what will happen in heaven though, maybe stripper factorys and beer volcanos like in Flying Spaghetti Monsterism

I barely learned any ATs in my melee days, I only used my reactions, well it work kind of well anyway.

That, my good sir, is very interesting. I dunno if it's old, but it's new to me. Someone should make a "how to recover" guide and have tons of info, including little tidbits like that.
Ive done a lot of research on links recovery so I should know some tricks. lol. Im sorry I didnt post it but its hard to remember what I have told you before and whats new. Its much easier to read a guide and find parts that is missing.

I dunno if anyone else does it (so lets call it the looticforgothisrecovery). Ive been thinking of making a HOW TO RECOVER GUIDE thread, but I dont really can test against which attacks you can zair whiplash recover and which projectiles you can bounce of with dair(due to lack of smashers in my neighbourhood) and english isnt my mother tounge so it not so smart if I make the guide either, since it could become misconceptions easily. But if somebody starts a thread I will give you all my info (which isnt very much actually).

so Im thinking, who can get all the info for the thread? Or should I start it and you make the reasearch for me? I dont want the guide to be halffinished anyway. We have to make a Edgeguard guide too, cause it is really diffucult to choose the correct edgeguard sometimes.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Ive done a lot of research on links recovery so I should know some tricks. lol. Im sorry I didnt post it but its hard to remember what I have told you before and whats new. Its much easier to read a guide and find parts that is missing.

I dunno if anyone else does it (so lets call it the looticforgothisrecovery). Ive been thinking of making a HOW TO RECOVER GUIDE thread, but I dont really can test against which attacks you can zair whiplash recover and which projectiles you can bounce of with dair(due to lack of smashers in my neighbourhood) and english isnt my mother tounge so it not so smart if I make the guide either, since it could become misconceptions easily. But if somebody starts a thread I will give you all my info (which isnt very much actually).

so Im thinking, who can get all the info for the thread? Or should I start it and you make the reasearch for me? I dont want the guide to be halffinished anyway. We have to make a Edgeguard guide too, cause it is really diffucult to choose the correct edgeguard sometimes.
I was thinking about expangind on the recovery section to my guide (there is one currently) and putting a lot more info on into it. So far, my DI section is 5 paragraphs and very complete. IDK how much more info I'd have to put into it, but send me a PM with all your research. Having a new guide for just recovery isn't a bad idea, but comiling into one place is just a better idea.

sasook

Smash Champion
On that note, perhaps you and I should work together to separate the advanced stuff from the basic stuff, NintenJoe? Once/if he sends you the info, that is.

sasook

Smash Champion
Okay, that's no prob, I'm not even up to the recovery section yet in my guide (I'm rewriting it completely). I'm only up to arrow canceling lol

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
We need to further dicuss Link's metagame. I've been investigating Gale Returns and attacks such as Fair, Dair, Fsmash, Spin Attack, Utilt, and Usmash are great for this technique... this leads me to believe the best way to set up a gale return is either by DACing or jab cancelling. Thoughts?

sasook

Smash Champion
Hitting a guy into a returning boomerang so they go literally nowhere is good if you use a nonlaggy move. Meaning like, don't use a spin attack for it. Use maybe an fsmash, because then they'll be "stunned" and you can follow up with something.

Top Bottom