• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Actually I have a question too. In my previous post I quoted magus saying that ASDI begins on the first frame after hitstun automatically, but it's the exact same effect as hitting a direction on the first frame after hitstun manually with the control stick.
My question is, wouldn't that mean that quarter sticking might accidentally ASDI after you SDI, and make it harder to tech?
If someone could clear this up, that would be great.
Well the whole point of SDI'ing is to make your character hit the wall. If you miss the SDI, all ASDI will do is make you even closer (just not as much as SDI will).

The only time it will make it harder to tech is the timing. Because ASDI happens after the hitstun has ended, you have to press L 20 frames before the hitstun ENDS (unless you SDI tech it, then you don't have to worry about it at all).

Let's say you're far away from the wall that if you got hit there, you wouldn't be able to tech, but with ASDI you would be close enough to tech. Let's also say you don't know how to SDI at all. If you press L 3 frames before you get hit and then get hit by Samus' fully charged B (17 frames hitstun) and are holding towards with the c-stick, you won't tech. This is because the hitstun + the time it took you to press L is already at 20 frames, so you'd have to press L again exactly when the hitstun ended up Samus' blast. (Unless you can't. I can't remember the limitations on how many times you can tech within a given time period).

I'm not really sure if this answered your question because I'm not really sure what you're asking but hopefully this amount of jargon will hopefully clear it up.

tl;dr : No. (Unless I'm completely wrong about what I just said)

Geist

Smash Master
I can't remember the limitations on how many times you can tech within a given time period
If you miss a tech, you can't tech until another 40 frames.

That sort of cleared my loose ends, but it side-stepped the main question, whether or not quarter sticking to SDI multiple times can activate ASDI accidentally and hinder your ability to tech because of that. (ASDI activates the first frame after hitlag, so pressing the control stick in a direction 1 frame after hitlag gives the same effect as ASDIing.)
Sorry if I didn't word it well before.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
If you miss a tech, you can't tech until another 40 frames.

That sort of cleared my loose ends, but it side-stepped the main question, whether or not quarter sticking to SDI multiple times can activate ASDI accidentally and hinder your ability to tech because of that. (ASDI activates the first frame after hitlag, so pressing the control stick in a direction 1 frame after hitlag gives the same effect as ASDIing.)
Sorry if I didn't word it well before.
If you QCDI and you end up with your control stick top and towards the stage, then yes you will ASDI (assuming you didn't tech during the SDI), but I don't see how triggering ASDI will hinder your ability to tech. As long as your holding the c-stick or controlstick towards the stage, in no way will it make you worse off then if you were to put your control stick in the neutral position.

Geist

Smash Master
I was under the impression that teching is easier to do after SDIing than it was for ASDI
if you learn to press L and do a Smash DI around 15-20 frames later, the tech will be guaranteed :
Instead of waiting for hitlag to end and use ASDI to touch the wall, the hitlag will transfer into teching the moment you did the smash DI.
I thought the windo for teching if you SDI was smaller.
Maybe I'm going crazy.

Either way, that answers it, thanks.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
You are confusing me like crazy.

Think about it this way. After the hitlag has ended, you will ASDI whichever way you're holding the stick. This will be a set amount, but will ALWAYS happen if you're holding the stick whichever way.

For SDI it happens DURING hitstun, so the window isn't really "smaller", it's just more specific as to when you have to SDI.

SDI is much harder, but it you do right you will tech every time.

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
I've got a few questions:

How do you measure a foot in SSBM? I saw in some Magus thread that he was measuring distance in feet and I was just curious?

Does anyone know of a thread that exactly measures how close/ far side blast zones are? I found an O.K. one for ceiling height but nothing for the sides. Maybe I'll just test it myself.

Is there any name for someone who when you're doing friendlies always waits until you pick your character and then picks someone in response. Its pretty annoying having to fight Marth everytime I go Space Pet, ect. You know like John, gut obviously something else...

Luigi's over - B? How does a level 9 get the fireish/ amazingly powerful one? Is there one frame you have to get it or what? I don't play Luigi but I'm just curious.

Thank You.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
mmmm I just kinda figured out the blast zones. And measuring in feet >_<. Just experiment with things and learn the spacing.

Yeah that guy who does that is called a douche. But just learn the matchup and beat him

Luigi's misfire is completely random.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
It's friendlies... just ask him to pick another character. Unless he's a **** he'll probably say yes.

And yes, Luigi's misfire is completely random.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yeah I have no problem with people bumping this thread if it starts to fall as long as its not excessive. (read once a day)

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
:D People need to use this thread!

1 Winged Angel, Maybe update the OP so that some frequently asked questions are on there so they dont have to be asked

Proverbs

Smash Lord
That and please change the name to something with Q&A in the title. "Official Newbie Thread" doesn't quite convey the message clearly, as we've seen with the recent number of quick questions made into individual threads as of late.

Also, I have a slightly n00bish question:

I don't know anything about electronics, so don't make fun, but I just recently got a Gamecube from my friend, the issue is that he lost his power cord, so I bought one from a local Gamestop. Thing is, this power cord is third party. I was just curious if this could affect the game at all. I know it probably wouldn't affect it, and it sounds kinda ridiculous, but I just want to be sure.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
All right, thanks. Like I said, it was kind of a stupid question, but I'd rather have confirmation than not.

Binx

Smash Master
I have a n00b question. I can't find an answer to it.

Why is Eagleland Fourside banned? I'm not against the ban, I'm just curious why.
its banned because of the luck involved with the shape of buildings. Also fox can infinite shine several characters against a couple walls, and the level shape promotes camping, and characters with wall jumps have a huge advantage over characters who can't.

Spife

Smash Master
its banned because of the luck involved with the shape of buildings. Also fox can infinite shine several characters against a couple walls, and the level shape promotes camping, and characters with wall jumps have a huge advantage over characters who can't.
Also, I'd like to think something about the ruling with Ness on SylphCo (forget the actual stage name) from SSB64 would have something to do with it.
I could be wrong, but iirc (never played ssb64 competitively but this rule still makes sense to me) if the pokemon stage came up on random, the ness player could elect to go a different stage/random again cause it's more or less impossible to recover when in between the buildings. I could see that impacting the decision.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Also, the level zooms out really far when a UFO comes in.

Okay, question time.

I know you can buffer spot dodges/rolls (they're SO good), but that one guy made a topic (it's locked) about buffering usmash out of shield.

Now when I first thought of it, I thought that it would be impossible, but after thinking a bit I was wondering if it would?

If you pressed up on both the control stick and c-stick when you were being hit with shieldstun, would you usmash as soon as you got out of shieldstun? I would test but I have no cube OR controller atm

I honestly don't think it would but there's just a tiny bit of a chance that you could do something like this. Can you buffer anything else besides spot dodges/rolls?

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
Smash DI question, and yes, I've read A Guide to DI... more than once.

I understand that Smash DI is movement done during the frames of hitlag, my question is, does your control stick imput have to occur during those frames?

For Example, if on frame X you are holding up-right on the control stick, on frame X+2 you get hit with a charge shot, you continue to hold up right from frame X till X+20 (or whatever), do you Smash DI up-right, or did you need to imput up-right sometime between X+2 and X+20?

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice

I understand that Smash DI is movement done during the frames of hitlag, my question is, does your control stick imput have to occur during those frames?

For Example, if on frame X you are holding up-right on the control stick, on frame X+2 you get hit with a charge shot, you continue to hold up right from frame X till X+20 (or whatever), do you Smash DI up-right, or did you need to imput up-right sometime between X+2 and X+20?
I think you would ASDI up and right (unless the C-Stick were different) and you would need to input up-right again to get the Smash DI.

Binx

Smash Master
Also, the level zooms out really far when a UFO comes in.

Okay, question time.

I know you can buffer spot dodges/rolls (they're SO good), but that one guy made a topic (it's locked) about buffering usmash out of shield.

Now when I first thought of it, I thought that it would be impossible, but after thinking a bit I was wondering if it would?

If you pressed up on both the control stick and c-stick when you were being hit with shieldstun, would you usmash as soon as you got out of shieldstun? I would test but I have no cube OR controller atm

I honestly don't think it would but there's just a tiny bit of a chance that you could do something like this. Can you buffer anything else besides spot dodges/rolls?
That would probably work if up c stick didn't jump when you are in shields, on a side note double tapping up on the c-stick is a quick way to do short hop up airs OoS without moving your thumb around to jump first. But alas no, in melee as far as I know you can only buffer with the c-stick.

Smash DI in Simple terms

Lets say I get hit by a CareBear Stare attack from Lionheart and it has 120 frames of hitstun (or 2 seconds) I can input a direction on my control stick and it will move me a VERY small amount in the direction i pressed during hitstun. This will happen as many times as possible during this hitstun for the entire 2 second or 120 frame period of being hit by Lionheart's carebear stare, that is plenty of time to SDI into a surface for me to tech. Cause I don't know about you guys, but I don't really like Lions and I don't want to love him.

In a real world example, I am recovering vs Marth, lets say I was Fox and I was not at an angle where I could ride the ledge, he tips me with a forward smash when I am OH SO CLOSE to the ledge, lets say that a tippered fsmash has 10 frames of hitstun because I don't know the actual number. So anywhere between 1/10 frames before I get hit by his fsmash that I know is coming, I press L in hard enough to register a tech. Once his attack hits me I press the control stick towards the ledge and I move that direction, if I were superhuman I could theoretically mash the control stick that direction 10 times, once for every frame or 1/60th of a second. But since I am a person I can probably only do it twice, or maybe only once in a 10 frame period.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Smash DI in Simple terms

Lets say I get hit by a CareBear Stare attack from Lionheart and it has 120 frames of hitstun (or 2 seconds) I can input a direction on my control stick and it will move me a VERY small amount in the direction i pressed during hitstun. This will happen as many times as possible during this hitstun for the entire 2 second or 120 frame period of being hit by Lionheart's carebear stare, that is plenty of time to SDI into a surface for me to tech. Cause I don't know about you guys, but I don't really like Lions and I don't want to love him.

In a real world example, I am recovering vs Marth, lets say I was Fox and I was not at an angle where I could ride the ledge, he tips me with a forward smash when I am OH SO CLOSE to the ledge, lets say that a tippered fsmash has 10 frames of hitstun because I don't know the actual number. So anywhere between 1/10 frames before I get hit by his fsmash that I know is coming, I press L in hard enough to register a tech. Once his attack hits me I press the control stick towards the ledge and I move that direction, if I were superhuman I could theoretically mash the control stick that direction 10 times, once for every frame or 1/60th of a second. But since I am a person I can probably only do it twice, or maybe only once in a 10 frame period.
I thought that after going into the neutral position to start SDI, you could just move it (quarter circle DI) around and get multiple inputs of SDI, as opposed to mashing it over and over again?

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
I know this is a specific character question, but no one really steps in that subforum.

So anyways, I was wondering how do you perform the SHBAWD with Doc? I can't seem to get the timing.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Yes, people to go there.

I thnk i know what that acronym is. Backair immediately after you jump, angle your control stick down and to the side then press R for teh waveland.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Yeah, just be faster. I know that sounds like a useless comment, but that's really it. Be faster/learn the timing. One of the two is your problem. I'm sure you knew that, but that's all you can really do. It's just like when people post about not being able to learn the timing for wavedashing. You just need to practice. Tech skill comes with time, but if you don't give it time, it won't develop.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much what Proverbs said.

If it helps, do a full jump and back air as soon as you can, then waveland. This will help you get the hand/finger movement for it. Then progress to something like shorthop backairs, and then eventually SHBAWDs.

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
If you can waveland after an aerial, I'm assuming the only lag you would eradicate is the landing lag from just falling itself. It certainly makes you faster though.

And thanks for the help.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
If you can waveland after an aerial, I'm assuming the only lag you would eradicate is the landing lag from just falling itself. It certainly makes you faster though.

And thanks for the help.
Yeah this is pretty much correct.

If you can waveland AFTER an aerial, it means the aerial has already completely itself and when you hit the ground, it would be as if you just short hopped in place.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
You still have landing lag from the waveland, but the thing is you can use the waveland to space yourself away from an opponents counter attack making it infinitely more useful.

Binx

Smash Master
I don't like the dark stages either, FD and BF mess with my head. Just play on it more and eventually you get used to it, it's my least favorite stage though. And almost none of the characters I use do worse there.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I hate FD. I use the platforms too much in my game I guess so when I don't have them I'm all sorts of screwed.

Top Bottom