• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

hectohertz

Smash Ace
I saw m2k use uthrow->jab on a falco recently at only like 60-something percent. and i thought d-throw->f-tilt doesn't work till 70 something. so i'm just curious what all the best combinations of throws and tilts are. magus?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
did we ever really find out anything about the powershield oos?

i have a theory, but no real way to test it.

ok, so if the initial statement is wrong, then the rest of the theory is probably wrong:

IF the powershield is the little white line that surrounds your shield when it pops up

then does that little white line happen at all when your shield changes size from light to hard very quickly?

each time i've done the ps-oos they were times when i thought i was about to shield drop and suddenly realized i needed to block something. so if my trigger got all the way to lightshielding but not enough to drop it, but then i switched quickly to the hard shield, the white line effect (powershielding) may have occurred, thus appearing to be a powershield oos (or in shield or something).

but if the switch from light shield to hard shield doesn't produce the white line, then lol nvm.

i did it vs dr peepee this weekend and he wtf'd lol.

Pi

Smash Hero
idk but i've had it happen to me since then, i wonder if

YO IJUST HAD A BALLER IDEA

would be so sick if like, you could shield with R right, and then press L when you were getting hit to powershield

lol so ****

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
cause you can jump oos, and before you leave the ground you can shine...thats how i've always understood it anyway.

i guess it works cause shine comes out in one frame?

but doesn't shield come out in a frame?

so please enlighten me...i'm not saying this is the case, but it almost seems plausible.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
jc shine you actually leave the ground then shine and then land again which allows you to do a grounded jump OoS

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
oh. so if you input the shine before he leaves the ground, then the shine wouldn't come out?

so shine oos where people end up still in the air just means they did their shine a little bit too late, but leaving the ground is a necessity...i didn't know that.

so i'm guessing the frames where your shield is coming down before you leave the ground are similar to normal shield drop frames in that no input can be had, correct?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
well your shield doesnt come down, you cancel it flawlessly into the jump animation (ground squat or w/e strong bad will call it). Your jump animation can only be canceled into usmash, upb and grab (for some reason)

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
hmm so we're still not any closer to solving ps oos...

it can't be during shield drop and it can't be during the jumpsquat. it also can't be a lightshield/hardshield trick.

i'm of the inclination that shields don't just randomly powershield once out of every million times they're hit, but i really don't see the mechanism at work here =/

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ precisely why i gave up. I even had it happen once to me recently. I don't remember exactly what happened, but from what i remember i just held the shield button.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
guh. i still feel like if there IS a mechanism involved that can be used, it could be metagame changing. but i guess we just have to keep getting lucky.

OHOIHASLKDG OH. OTHER QUESTION I HAD

can you dash grab after powershields? like if you're running and powershield, would you normal grab or dash grab? cause i think it was dash grabbing, which was extending the hitbox and falco was getting grabbed after i ps lasers from absurdly far away lol.

also, i was gonna see if i could get you guys to do some frame data to look at falco's "hurt"box after he gets hit by a falco laser. i kinda wanna see if he sticks his hand out enough to make a difference. cause i really feel like some of my run in pslaser -> grab approaches were working from a distance that was unexpected, and also at a timing that was unexpected.

thanks.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
when shield comes up u are in a shielding position. not dashing.

im gonna try to look into that power shield thing too, ive had the same thing happen to me....u think possibly its shielding a"phantom" hit?

:phone:

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i had that idea as well but was hoping that wasn't it lol. i thought it was weird, but i guess something has to happen when a hit on shield is tangential to the hitbox. i guess peoples spacing are just now getting to the point where we're even phantoming on shields LOL.

i guess powershield is enough to put one in the shielding position. maybe it is the "hit by laser" effect. cause i swear falco was getting grabbed on frames and at a distance that i did not expect him to get grabbed (it had the later effect as if he was getting grabbed by ganon's dash grab)

Varist

Smash Lord
People always talk about how Pokemon Stadium is a big deal for spacies, especially Fox. Like, I know M2K and Jman and Mango and Lucky have all pushed up the importance of Fox dittos on PS, but where and why did that start? Anyone know why it's super important not to lose a Fox ditto there?

Gracias

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
So, I'm trying to improve in Melee, but the problem is I can't go to SF's, I have a hard time going to tournaments since they are all in Ann Arbor, and I don't play Melee with my friends on a regular basis.

What's the best way to improve without playing humans?

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
Ask Mew2King :troll:

No but seriously, make the effort to go out to those tournaments even if they're far away. It's definitely worth it. 1 day at a tournament is better than a month by yourself.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ that.

actually i played brawl wifi a lot when brawl came out and that helped me get used to the mental aspect of smash. practice your tech skill in short intervals (not too long or you will form bad habits) and after that you need to interact with other people. If you can't do it in melee, debate with someone or play starcraft or brawl or w/e. Just competing against someone else will help you learn things across the board.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Ask Mew2King :troll:

No but seriously, make the effort to go out to those tournaments even if they're far away. It's definitely worth it. 1 day at a tournament is better than a month by yourself.
It's not like I don't want to go to these tournaments because they are far, it's my parents.

Thats the whole reason why I go to more brawl tourneys, because they are closer.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The thing is, parents want their children's happiness and success. If your parents think "i dont want my child to drive that far for some video game" try to explain to them what it would mean to you to go. Possibly make bargins like "i will get an A grade on my next test to prove to you what this means to me". Each set of parents are different in what they value, but they do value something or else they wouldn't say no. Leverage.

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the interruption but I have a short question that need a very short answer :
Is there a not-so-old match-up chart ?
I wanna take a secondary to help my Fox with characters I'm not confortable with...

Thanks a lot !

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The match-up chart is still fairly accurate. Make sure its the one by t3h icy.

Also, fox has no bad match-ups :D

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah. ganon and fox just compliment each other really well.

i guess peach has similar matchups to ganon, but is probably overall a better option. i approve.

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm somewhat doing it wrong but whatever, I feel more confident when knowing that I can reverse the match-up with another character

Anyway, thanks for the answer, I'm gonna study this chart :)

AXE 09

Smash Master
can you dash grab after powershields? like if you're running and powershield, would you normal grab or dash grab?
I know I'm late, but just thought I should answer this.

Yes and no, it depends lol. If you're in your running animation (which means you're in the animation after your initial dash), and you powershield then press A (for a shield grab), then you will dash grab. You will do a standing grab if you powershield and hold your shield for a certain amount of time, then press A.

If you're in your initial dash, and you do a powershield + A, then you will always do a standing grab.

EDIT:

And as for the multiple powershields, I'm pretty sure that if you powershield something and another attack hits you while you're still in your shield stun, then you will powershield that attack as well (a good example is powershielding Fox's Dair)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
that may be true, I know some **** is somewhere around someplace about multi hit moves. I know those for sure guarantee multiple powershields. I wonder if it would work with edge cancel aerials or in teams taking hits from 2 different ppl.

Top Bottom