• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Is the lag when hitting a shield the same when hitting a person? Some people so yes, some say no...

And how does one shield drop? Would it be better to shield drop rather than Isai drop when lasering through platforms?

I main Falco lol.
loooool I was talking about shield drop vs isai dropping. shield drop is 3 frames faster. isai drop is 5 frames easier lol.

if u can shield drop get in the habit of doing that, otherwise isai drop. note that u can shield aka shai drop out of dash and u can't with isai drops.

:phone:

AXE 09

Smash Master
Where can I find a list of the differences between Melee version 1.0/1.1/1.2? The link in "The Official Everything Thread" doesn't work anymore :(

AXE 09

Smash Master
^But there's a lot more differences than the ones listed :( I'm looking for all of them if possible... (that are known anyways lol)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there's nowhere that successfully lists all of them afaik. should probably get on that sometime in the next year or so (?!)

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
How come people call Isai "Isaiah". that's not even his real name. is it actually a nickname, or can those people not pronounce words properly?
Honestly, I didn't have any idea that 'isaiah dropping' as it was said to me actually had anything to do with isai.

But thanks for the help guys, found the shield drop tutorial and I'm incorporating it into my game.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
What was that video with the guy talking in a really EXTREME!!!! voice? I don't have many details, but the guy says stuff like "More canceling than your Gamecube has RAM for!" and "Recoveries much longer than they should be!" Thanks.

I've been having a habit issue of going for an l-cancel from an aerial, but might get hit underneath me just before I land. However, the attack I just get hit by causes me to land on the ground and I try pressing L again to tech it which cancels the ability to tech because I tried pressing L/R earlier for an l-cancel.

So you press L/R once to tech anything in the next 20 frames, you press L/R again in those frames to cancel your ability to tech instantly. So if you press it again, will you renew those 20 frames to start teching?

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
in melee there recovery is weak i think brawl solves are recovery problems but i like melee beacause of mewtwo

AXE 09

Smash Master
I've been having a habit issue of going for an l-cancel from an aerial, but might get hit underneath me just before I land. However, the attack I just get hit by causes me to land on the ground and I try pressing L again to tech it which cancels the ability to tech because I tried pressing L/R earlier for an l-cancel.

So you press L/R once to tech anything in the next 20 frames, you press L/R again in those frames to cancel your ability to tech instantly. So if you press it again, will you renew those 20 frames to start teching?
This is a pretty good reason why it can be good to not press L/R down all the way when you l-cancel ^^

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
mewtwo *****, and like axe said, just don't push L/R down all the way and its good. however make sure you discipline yourself to not hit L/R again if u get hit out of a WD.

Pi

Smash Hero
just l cancel with Z
get accidental grabs all day
unless you don't mess up your z cancels
i should stop z canceling with samus. accidental ledge cancel = aerial grapple & punished

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
explain yourself. I disagree with this advice on so many levels.

Just how i learned to play the game. If you get hit while wavedashing, you dont have to input another L/R input, you simply hold down and you tech. Same thing happens when you are hit while lcanceling.

In my experience, if you happen to not CC tech in these scenarios you can still tech normally in most cases as long as you don't try to press L/R immediately and instead wait until very last part of the tech input window to press L/R.

From my point of view, if i'm getting hit while lcanceling i made a mental error which might be a better thing to focus my energy on instead as i usually don't get forced into missing techs like this.

But, to each their own. I play the game with my input style everyone is free to invent their own.

That's surprising to find out so many ways to cancel landing lag.
So I've been using the captain falcon
character for a while now and I heard there's this move where you can hit people with your knee. How does one excecute this move? =O
Press A. Press A again after the IASA for jab1, then Press A again after the IASA for jab 2. ;)
I thought you don't need to press it all the way to tech?
You do need to press it all the way.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Just how i learned to play the game. If you get hit while wavedashing, you dont have to input another L/R input, you simply hold down and you tech. Same thing happens when you are hit while lcanceling.

In my experience, if you happen to not CC tech in these scenarios you can still tech normally in most cases as long as you don't try to press L/R immediately and instead wait until very last part of the tech input window to press L/R.

From my point of view, if i'm getting hit while lcanceling i made a mental error which might be a better thing to focus my energy on instead as i usually don't get forced into missing techs like this.

But, to each their own. I play the game with my input style everyone is free to invent their own.
yes but uuuu said WD option selects a tech, just press it a second time. thats a terrible way to say what you just said.

yea I agree with your actual explanation because its really the only way to handle techs when getting hit out of WD. and its definitely a reasonable way to handle getting hit out of L cancels. I try to press it lightly because it doesn't effect ledge cancels or techs. im not always successful but it decreases my chances of ****ing up a tech.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Lol i just read my original post, you're right. I was just getting out of bed and didnt sleep and didn't reread my post. In my mind i think i thought it was clear i meant "press it again as late as possible after getting hit if you didn't happen to get the tech the first time"

edit- this reminds me of the full bars incident

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
What is the best way to train for teams by yourself?

Also, Which character is the best to team up with a peach?

AXE 09

Smash Master
Pikachu works surprisingly well with Sheik
And apparently Ganon :)

is it possible if your character has enough momentum to skip the yoshi battle on the first level of adventure mode?
I'm pretty sure this is impossible, but not 100% sure. More like 95% sure though. If it is possible I'm gonna be extremely surprised.

erbanez

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm trying to do some slight fixes on my Gamecube controller (1st Party). Basically, I want it so that my shoulder buttons aren't so "clicky" and loud. I don't have the means to open the controller up, so if anybody can help me with any real quick fixes like clicking the button over and over again or something, it'd be easiest to Private Message me because I'll probably forget to check this thread again. Thanks in advance for the help.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
They are buttons, they will click. The noise isn't from the case, but a combination of the spring inside and the area where the button is fully pressed. To reduce the noise you would literally have to remove the grooves inside the controller so that you wouldn't even feel when the controller was fully clicked compared to not.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
mine don't click. ive never touched my springs. you just have to wear them down thru extreme use. ive got two controllers to stop clicking using this method.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
the clicks are from the final part of the mechanism that differentiates between full press and soft press. Technically its not needed, but its the groove your button slips into when its fully pressed. ICs players use it a lot (or at least i would think so) since you can apply just enough force to the button to not go into that groove and then you get that nice nana lightshield popo nearly-full shield

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
lol typical sell me something I really don't need response from sveet. I know what makes them click, just saying u can wear the **** down enough by lots and lots of pressing.

anyway there is just a rubber pad with a synapse on it that connects with the motherboard. thats how full presses are determined, no differently than any of the buttons on a gc controller. with alot of use u will rip the circular pad making a much smoother press eliminating most of the sound but keeping full function. you have to wear down some other bs in there a bit too but you can cut the pad with a knife to save time lol.

currently my right trigger is a ****load quieter than my left because of the difference in wear.

eventually tho this is one of the causes of random light shields. the center with the synapse on it will fail to retract and inputs shield, my guess is the lightshield is because the position on the sliders is 0.

edit: alot of noise just comes from the sliding of the triggers period, but the "clicking" can be worn away.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
as sheik playing against space animals, at what percent can you u/d throw to u/f tilt? and what is the combination that works earliest?

Top Bottom