• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Pi

Smash Hero
are there any other moves besides jab that send a character who is on the ground into a reset?

is it possible to jump-cancel jab's (so that one could do a jab out of a dash or a shine)? what about up-tilts? what exactly can be jump-cancelled (executed during the jumpsquat animation)?
any really weak move that doesn't knock the opponent very far

like tipman spike (ganon's upair, the last bit of it), roy's aerials (lol), samus bomb, things like that will reset at low %'s

probably not true resets though

afaik, upB and upSmash are the only true jump cancel moves
things like shine, or marth's side b, just cancel your vertical momentum so doing them rather quickly will act similarly to a jump cancel because you'll land back on the ground before the move is over

but then you also have ness, peach, yoshi, mewtwo who have true 2nd jump cancels

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
intentional tumbling is really good for getting to the edge if u wave dash off a platform. u actually will fall off an edge when u normally wouldn't from just a wave dash.

I do it all the time.

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
are there any other moves besides jab that send a character who is on the ground into a reset?

is it possible to jump-cancel jab's (so that one could do a jab out of a dash or a shine)? what about up-tilts? what exactly can be jump-cancelled (executed during the jumpsquat animation)?
anything that does 6.00 damage or less can force getup. it can cause the knockback threshold to where they go up, or are able to roll during it based on % still.

upsmash, upb, grab. that's all.

I don't understand what you're talking about, KAOSTAR.

Varist

Smash Lord
If you're on a platform, and you wavedash backwards off of it, you will not enter a tumble animation. However, if, during the wavedash, before you're going to fall off the platform, you use the other shield trigger button to turn on your shield, you will tumble off the platform, exactly the same as if you were hit off it by another player while in your shield. In this way, you can force tech rolls voluntarily to aid movement around the stage.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I know that. And you can just hold the trigger you used to wavedash with; you just have to stay on the platform for at least 11 frames /and/ leave it after putting up your shield to enter the tumble animation.
u actually will fall off an edge when u normally wouldn't from just a wave dash.
This is the part I'm confused about. Your aerial mobility does not change outside of multijumpers jumps and special moves.

Varist

Smash Lord
from what I can tell you always fall off an edge via wavedash "normally" or otherwise. the only time that wouldn't be true were if you were wavedashing off of it facing forward and you entered the teeter animation before falling.
/shrug

hectohertz

Smash Ace
in perfect dark, he (at least appears to) jab out of shine. is that really a very fast wd in place -> jab?

also, what are the mechanics behind autocancelling?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
when in the vid?

most aerials have frame timings where if you land during those intervals, rather than entering the normal landing lag animation you enter the regular landing animation that you go into if you just land while not doing an aerial. DK's u-air auto-cancels frame 14 for example, even though the aerials animation lasts for 38 frames, so if he lands at any time between frame 14 and 44 during it he won't have the normal 25 (12 l-canceled) frames of landing lag and will instead have the 5 frames of landing lag as if he had landed during regular fall.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
sb thank you for your answers you're amazing
and i'm rewatching in slow-motion, and yes he is just wavedashing out of shine to jab very very quickly

hectohertz

Smash Ace
if you're doing an autocancelled aerial, and you push L at the window where you'd be l-cancelling if this was a shffl aerial, does it do anything?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It does nothing. It is not detrimental outside of unnecessary physical strain on the player.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I know that. And you can just hold the trigger you used to wavedash with; you just have to stay on the platform for at least 11 frames /and/ leave it after putting up your shield to enter the tumble animation.

This is the part I'm confused about. Your aerial mobility does not change outside of multijumpers jumps and special moves.
I just mean that u can wave dash back wards or wave land and run out of momentum. leaving u standing at the edge, if u let your shield pop up u will fall off. also going into the tumble seems to orient your body in a way that sends u farther.

try with fox to just barely waveland off dreamland platforms and then try to grab the edge. if u let your shield pop up u can tumble to the edge hella easier.

I can't really explain it and it may not even be exactly like im saying, but just experiment with wave landing backwards with diff amounts of momentum(when u fall off make sure u are di straight left or right) and see if falling off with or without a shield makes a difference.

ive just noticed im much more likely to fall off if I put the shield up and I can always di far enough to grab the edge no matter how much momentum I fell off with.

again never tested just a theory

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
So I've decided to branch out my limited knowledge of characters and start playing characters other than Falco/Fox/Marth, and I was just wondering how do I:

1. Rising pound with Jigglypuff?

2. Rising down-b with Doc. Mario?

VERY scrub questions, I know.

L__

Smash Master
how do I:

1. Rising pound with Jigglypuff?
Side-b then go up immediately after you do pound

2. Rising down-b with Doc. Mario?
Spam down-b after you down-b

down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b

I can't remember if it was doc but iirc you had to down-b at least 11 times to go even before the animation ended? of course I'm more than happy to be corrected

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Side-b then go up immediately after you do pound

Spam down-b after you down-b

down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b
down-b

I can't remember if it was doc but iirc you had to down-b at least 11 times to go even before the animation ended? of course I'm more than happy to be corrected
Wow, thanks dewde. I feel like an idiot now :awesome:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Many other moves can reset like a jab would. It is based on knockback, strong bad or magus could supply the specifics (or search for it, its been posted before). Notable ones are falco's laser, fox's dair, sheik's needles, puff's dair, ganon's reverse uair toes (kage did this once i guess), ect. Just light taps.

As for jump cancels, you can only do grab, upb and usmash to cancel the jump animation. The last two were to allow room for people to press up and A/B, though i'm not sure why grabs were made to be able to cancel the jump animation. No other moves can cancel the jump animation.

edit- page change LOL

Varist

Smash Lord
@TRLahti, you actually don't have to keep mashing down-b after the initial down-b. You can just mash b. In this way, your analog stick is free to be held to the left/right, so that you gain extra horizontal distance while rising. That was always the most useful function of Doc/Mario's down-b for me.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Many other moves can reset like a jab would. It is based on knockback, strong bad or magus could supply the specifics (or search for it, its been posted before). Notable ones are falco's laser, fox's dair, sheik's needles, puff's dair, ganon's reverse uair toes (kage did this once i guess), ect. Just light taps.
moves with damage of 6.00 or less can force getup depending on its knockback & the opponent's falling speed.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
INSANECARZYGUY 7:14 pm
Sorry im boring right now i've been tuned to logic more than anything else

SveetX 7:14 pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Pi

Smash Hero
no i'm pretty sure he meant melee for 64 as in isai dropped melee for 64

but the technique is walking forward for a frame or so to interrupt your crouch from landing animation (dunno the actual term) which would prevent you from falling through a platform

so basically when you land from certain fall speeds/attacks/something i'm not sure, you will be forced to crouch and then rise slowly (not the standard ~4ish frames of landing lag, but an addition time where you can't drop through the platform), so you walk to cancel that animation, then drop through

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
ftr, in those situations where u have the landing animation you can shield drop which is like 3 frames faster. shield dropping can be done out of initial dash, standing, walking, everything. its harder but imo better to learn cuz overall its more efficient and better technique.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Is the lag when hitting a shield the same when hitting a person? Some people so yes, some say no...

And how does one shield drop? Would it be better to shield drop rather than Isai drop when lasering through platforms?

I main Falco lol.

Pi

Smash Hero
Is the lag when hitting a shield the same when hitting a person? Some people so yes, some say no...

And how does one shield drop? Would it be better to shield drop rather than Isai drop when lasering through platforms?

I main Falco lol.
yea it's the same
there's some video on shield drop...
but i don't think it's any easier than isai drop because to isai drop all you have to do is hold forward then down

Varist

Smash Lord
How come people call Isai "Isaiah". that's not even his real name. is it actually a nickname, or can those people not pronounce words properly?

Top Bottom