• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Meta Knight
Snake

High
Mr. Game & Watch
King Dedede
Falco
R.O.B.
Marth

Upper Mid
Wario
Lucario
Diddy
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Ice Climbers
Pikachu

Middle
Olimar
Pit
Wolf
Fox
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Toon Link
Peach
Ike
Sheik
Bowser
Luigi

Low
Ness
Lucas
Mario
Pokémon Trainer
Yoshi
Samus
Sonic
Jigglypuff

Bottom
Ganondorf
Link
Captain Falcon

Basically a modified version of the BR list.

Major changes:

More tiers
Marth with his high tier pals
Wolf down
Toon Link down
Bowser down (I like bowser up, but not that up)
Luigi down (see Bowser)
Spelled Sheik's name right. :x
All your "upper mids" belong in high tier....
I don't see why people want bowser down. He's good if you know how to use him.
I really don't see any of you making a better list because it's not like 1 person made this list.
Many people put there opinions on it (as stated by some mods and people with access to back room).

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Has anyone actually come up with legitimate counters for Snake yet? MK is apparently the in thing right now and I keep hearing from people that Snake has a few disadvantageous matchups but I've yet to see them. Right now I don't think Snake has any matchups below his favor and at worst, he has some neutral ones.

Olimar, Pikachu, R.O.B, and possibly Pit, Fox, DK, and MK.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Olimar definitely counters Snake, i've little doubt that DK legitimately does as well. MK counters Snake the way he counters life, but he does have to think.

Sheik actually has an even matchups, because she can keep him in the air and rack well that way. The kill power discrepancy is so huge though.... that it's only neutral.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
All your "upper mids" belong in high tier....
I don't see why people want bowser down. He's good if you know how to use him.
I really don't see any of you making a better list because it's not like 1 person made this list.
Many people put there opinions on it (as stated by some mods and people with access to back room).
Everyone wants him down because the only very significant changes from Ankoku's (I hope I spelled that right) ranking of tournament results and the tier list is Bowser is 10 higher on the tier list then on the other one (Thanks to GimpyFish, I can only assume), and Peach is 10 lower on the tier list.

Otherwise, there are changes, but nothing that significant.

Edit: Also, people are just giving their two cents and how they view the situation. You don't have to be "lol, u r rong and SBR iz rite so stfu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11"

AlexX

Smash Ace
Wait, how does MK counter Snake? Snake has zero lag on a lot of his moves as well on top of a decent projectile game along with actual weight and far, far more killing power. MK has a better airgame, but Snake can force MK to approach.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Everyone wants him down because the only very significant changes from Ankoku's (I hope I spelled that right) ranking of tournament results and the tier list is Bowser is 10 higher on the tier list then on the other one (Thanks to GimpyFish, I can only assume), and Peach is 10 lower on the tier list.

Otherwise, there are changes, but nothing that significant.

Edit: Also, people are just giving their two cents and how they view the situation. You don't have to be "lol, u r rong and SBR iz rite so stfu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11"
lol I went around to the other boards and they're like "yeah, I like where my character is." or "Oh, well, we should be 1-2 spots higher/lower, but the matchup is a little better for them, and they have better tourney results."

Meanwhile, at the Sonic boards, half of them are freaking out at how Sonic's 22nd in Tourney results and 5th worst character :laugh:

Also, it's probably more Sliq than Gimpy, but I haven't been following their tourney records `.`;

-------------------

AlexX - Snake has alot of things to take advantage of. His F-tilt can be shieldgrabbed, and his spacing can be screwed up by running into and shielding them.

I believe ALL his aerials have landing lag unless started while rising or done from a pretty high height. These are things I take advantage of as Sonic. Metaknight, with his priority, attack speed, and kill power... well, it's even worse for Snake.

Adapt

Smash Lord
isn't kishsquared also in the SBR? He's a big bowser player

Gimpy is posting pretty anti-bowser atm, so he's not the reason

viparagon

Smash Ace
Who gives a flying **** about gimpy, it was cool in meeleeeeeee
But seriously, WHO CARES
Gimpy is more famous than pc chris (screwed up)
Give some real brawl playas a chance!!:mad:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I don't think that the SBR is unintelligent people. However right now i think that most of the active backroomers don't seem to represent all geographic areas equally. I think that' part of Bowser's position being so juiced

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
GOD:

Meta Knight

TOP:

Snake
Mr. Game & Watch
King Dedede
Falco
Marth
R.O.B

HIGH:

Lucario
Olimar
Wario
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Pikachu
Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Pit

MIDDLE:

Toon Link
Zelda
Fox
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Peach
Ness
Shiek
Lucas
Mario
Bowser

LOW:

Yoshi
Sonic
Pokemon Trainer
Samus
Ike
Jigglypuff
Link

BOTTOM:

Ganondorf
Captian Falcon

Although I personally think that Yoshi is mid-mid material, I'd be killed If I said that...Wait. Oops.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
GOD:

Meta Knight

TOP:

Snake
Mr. Game & Watch
King Dedede
Falco
Marth
R.O.B
I for one think MK and Snake ought to share a tier, but no one else. This is why: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954

MK has 1,798.4 points at number one, Snake has 1,356.7 at two. Number three is Wario with a measly 604.1. There is no way you could bunch Snake in with people that have such a large gap.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
GOD:

Meta Knight

TOP:

Snake
Mr. Game & Watch
King Dedede
Falco
Marth
R.O.B

HIGH:

Lucario
Olimar
Wario
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Pikachu
Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Pit

MIDDLE:

Toon Link
Zelda
Fox
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Peach
Ness
Shiek
Lucas
Mario
Bowser

LOW:

Yoshi
Sonic
Pokemon Trainer
Samus
Ike
Jigglypuff
Link

BOTTOM:

Ganondorf
Captian Falcon

Although I personally think that Yoshi is mid-mid material, I'd be killed If I said that...Wait. Oops.
WIth the exception of Yoshi (don't let them influence you!), this is the best tier list I have seen.

*Claps for Snowstalker*

popsofctown

Smash Champion
How did SBR put Rob with about 300 points on the same tier as MK who has about 1800 points? it's ludicrous.

@philbobjoe: yes, quite possibly. Though it's not a stretch to lump him with the characters below him, since Snake's popularity is a large factor in his success.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Yet there are some that think this character is going nowhere.

Or something like that, whatever the Hint said along those lines.

j00 just proved it.

Unless your saying to move him up.

In which case pics or it didn't happen (I don't care if it doesn't make sense)
I agree with Snowstalker, I think Yoshi should be in mid mid or low mid, not where he put him in the tier for fear of being flamed.

What the heck does pics or it didn't happen mean in this case? I know you're trying to be funny, but a nonsensical counterargument doesn't mean anything at all...

gantrain05

Smash Master
you really think yoshi deserves mid tier? i think he's decent enough, but not better, than mario, ness, peach, diddy, ZSS, Fox, Zelda or Toon link by any means, i think top of low tier suits him well. at least you yoshi mains didn't go from melee ganon to this CRAP ganon ugh......i will somehow find a way to make ganon good lol.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
You are talking about the rankings list, that isn't a tier list.

Nice list snowstalker.
well the rankings list was their rationale for putting Dedede high, he has a much more mixed bag of matchups than marth.

If you want to go from practice to theory, it's still ludicrous, Meta Knight is much better than ROB

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Yoshi should be upper low, no higher at this point.
When he gets better tourney rankings, then we'll talk.

Edited to make me sound less like a cocky ***hole.

sectorz

Smash Rookie
should toon link be higher than middle?
Seriously, Peach should be higher in the middle tier list. I mean zelda? I know she's got ALOT of buffs in brawl, But peach has advantages over zelda. Peach's D-smash Has way more priority over Zelda And her F-smash is officially avoidable to everybody if u press up (jump) as soon as she performs it. Peach's Toad deal's with zelda's dins fire. And with peach camping with her turnips, zelda wont have the pleasure of using din's fire .Alot of characters have a hard time approaching zelda, but with peach's floating, she has the best chances of approaching zelda out of all the middle tiers. And seriously, Peach>Zelda when it comes to close combat. As i said before, Peach's down-smash has priority over all of zelda's smashes. It great to take zelda off gaurd. Zelda's combat lacks range where as peach's f-smash (especially her golf club) has enough distance to avoid her standard "A" shock and Nayru's Love.

In all my time playing brawl I've Never had any Problems Playing against a zelda when im playing my peach. (I Have 2 friends who main her ) Thats why im a bit skecptical on peach's placment on the mid-tier list. Oh well This list is subject to change anytime soon. We Peach Mainers And all the other Lower Tier Mainers just have to show what were made of.

leelue

Smash Lord
also, realize you are talking about this matchup ONLY. you could make the same argument for Snake vs Meta and say snake is better. Taking other things into account, zelda's got one pro over peach... Killing power. Peach cant Kill a metaknight as easily, or get in for damage on DeDeDe as easily. But i have had more trouble facing peach than i have zeldas in the past...

Personally, i think peach does deserve a higher spot, and i like the idea of putting link under ganon

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
Peach's D-smash Has way more priority over Zelda
Doesn't make up for the poor KO power. While Zelda's on her other hand is an excellent killer because it sends them at low angle.

foward smash is officially avoidable to everybody if u press up (jump) as soon as she performs it.
You'd be surprised at how often people fail to SDI out of it. It's like oh.. I got hit, I better SDI but when you input it, it's too late. Zelda doesn't really need her forward smash though. Up and down smash are better killers.

Peach's Toad deal's with zelda's dins fire. And with peach camping with her turnips, zelda wont have the pleasure of using din's fire
Camping wouldn't work well against Naryu's love and Din's Fire is a much better projectile than turnips. Turnips can be caught and used against you and can't be thrown that far. Din's Fire can hit pretty much anywhere on the basic stages.

Alot of characters have a hard time approaching zelda, but .with peach's floating, she has the best chances of approaching zelda out of all the middle tiers.
Can't air dodge while floating, vulnerable to din's fire. I wouldn't want to approach that way. Good Zelda's will angle Din's fire to the ground so if you hit her while she's using it, it explodes on you.

seriously, Peach>Zelda when it comes to close combat. As i said before, Peach's down-smash has priority over all of zelda's smashes.
It has more priority but it'll never kill. Get hit with Zelda's at a high percentage and you're gone. Especially with Peach's poor vertical recovery. Zelda's down tilt is nasty too. If Peach is floating right in her face then Zelda will have problems since her down tilt and smash will no longer work. Zelda should do her best with Din's Fire to prevent her from getting that close while floating.

Zelda's combat lacks range where as peach's f-smash (especially her golf club) has enough distance to avoid her standard "A" shock and Nayru's Love.
Too bad you only have a 1/3 chance of using it.

In all my time playing brawl I've Never had any Problems Playing against a zelda when im playing my peach. (I Have 2 friends who main her )
They probably aren't that good then. Zelda can be a hell of an opponent to fight, especially one that's good at landing lighting kicks at every opening.

gantrain05

Smash Master
i don't think anybody that says peach has any good ko moves understands peach at all, her Bair, and Fair are very good K.O. moves, and seriously, zeldas Dsmash does NOTHING to peach, sending her at a low angle? oh well too bad she can float all the way back to the stage and recover no matter what low angle you send her at anyway. and no u can't airdodge while your floating, but you can just let go of the jump button and airdodge just as quick as any other character so the airdodge argument doesnt really work. and actually as for naryus love, thats actually one of zeldas weaknesses in this battle, its rediculously easy to throw a turnip while your above zelda and wait for her to use it, and then come in with a Fair while she's still in naryus love. but seriously yeah, zelda is actually one of peaches best matchups.

sectorz

Smash Rookie
i don't think anybody that says peach has any good ko moves understands peach at all, her Bair, and Fair are very good K.O. moves, and seriously, zeldas Dsmash does NOTHING to peach, sending her at a low angle? oh well too bad she can float all the way back to the stage and recover no matter what low angle you send her at anyway. and no u can't airdodge while your floating, but you can just let go of the jump button and airdodge just as quick as any other character so the airdodge argument doesnt really work. and actually as for naryus love, thats actually one of zeldas weaknesses in this battle, its rediculously easy to throw a turnip while your above zelda and wait for her to use it, and then come in with a Fair while she's still in naryus love. but seriously yeah, zelda is actually one of peaches best matchups.
Yes! Somebody who understands the strength in peach's aerials! You got it spot on! Zelda Really is one of peach's best matches. And on another note, Zelda has less defense than peach and she k.o's at more lower percentages than peach. So killing potntial isn't really an argument when peach is fighting zelda. Her fair kills zelda at 80-90% at the lowest. And her bair around 100%. Zelda's recovery is where she fails on. She can only point faeroe's wind in one direction. And it leaves her wide open if she does'nt aim for the ledge. I've seen plenty times when zelda's close to the stage but not close enough so she's forced to use faeroes's wind and leave herself wide open for attack from an aerial or up-smash. And yes i agree with gantrain. Zelda is one of peach's best matches.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
But you are just discussing the Peach vs. Zelda matchup. It has nothing to do with their tier list positioning (sorta).

.Marik

is a social misfit
Hey, I kinda forgot, but when Peach gets attacked, gets damaged and gets sent flying a certain distance, and then you jump and/or double jump, can you float, and while floating, dodge an aerial/ground attack, then continue to float as if nothing happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom