• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Random question, why is matchup argument here?

?_____?;

Sonic isn't nearly as good at punishing as the upper-tiers, and Ike is arguably a better punisher than he is. A good Ike will make Sonic take a good amount of damage upon making any mistake (made better by the fact Ike has superior priority), and because Sonic is light he has to really be afraid once he gets around the 60-70% mark since Ike can take care of him with a good f-tilt or Eruption by then (or even a b-air if it's still fresh). You could say he'll never get hit by those moves, but f-tilt isn't too slow and eruption has SA frames to take advantage of.

Clearly you've never seen a good Ike offstage. Ike's not the best at offstage combat, but he's still fully capable of gimping the hedgehog if he gets a good d-air on him. For recovery Sonic has problems gimping Aether properly (which is what all good Ikes will be using).

Please, continue. All I see from your arguments is that you've never seen a good Ike.
Let me break it down for you.
- Sonic can find/force/get more punishment openings than Ike due to his speed and feints. Ike punishes harder per opening, but the openings for Ike are fewer.

- [edit] This was originally a detailed runthrough on how Sonic responds to Ike's most commonly used moves (jab/jabgrab/f-air/n-air), but I'll abridge it. Sonic's approaches aren't limited to normal attacks and aerials. Shieldgrabs, pshieldgrabs, and feint>disruptor/punishments (dash attack, spindash, grab, tilt) are all momentum starters for Sonic. Do an AAA combo, a non-retreating F-air, or miss an approach and Sonic can start his momentum with one of those.

- Sonic can die from an f-tilt at 60-70%. ...if he's doing downwards DI and is like, standing on the edge of FD. He's about as heavy as Marth, who is still comparably light to other characters, but not too light to die from something like that without being stupid. Not even B-air will kill that ridiculously low. Or un-charged Eruption (which is still pretty punishable, especially after you release it). You don't play any Sonics at ALL do you?

- Ike off-stage is still limited by his reach and recovery. He can only go (and attack) so far, and once Sonic is inside a certain range, which extends further than this off-stage range, Sonic can use spring's invincibility frames then airdodge or whatever to get past Ike's edgeguard, if not attack him and reverse the roles. If Ike is under the stage (say, trying to hit someone on the edge with Ragnell at the apex of Aether), Sonic can just drop a spring and send Ike under the level, or further away. If Aether is used so that Ragnell flies too high, Sonic can just run under it and insta-edgehog, forcing Ike to either drop down to his death or land on the stage and suffer landing lag punishment. Further off-stage, all it takes is a disruptive F-air, early N-air, or even a spring to screw up an Ike recovery if he's too low.

Also, Sonic can recover from Aether Spike unless he's at an obscenely high %, so don't even bring that up `.`;

I've played some horrible and some decent Ikes as Sonic. The decent ones had better mindgames into their moves, and at the best it looked like it could have been a neutral-ish matchup against Sonic.

Of course! The most punishable character in the game (bar Ganon) has a good edge against the character possibly best at punishing. I'll carry on being ignorant.
The fact that when Ike's offstage if Sonic knows what he's doing it's all over also contributes to the ****.

I'd justify more but I can't be bothered. It's painfully obvious as it is.
Ike's jab, retreating F-air, and N-air have shorter openings for punishment, as Ike's most used moves. Bowser's more punishable, IMO.

there's really no point in arguing it here, should have done it in the matchup's thread.

I give up >.>

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Seeing as how her Japanese voice matches that of May's female Bulbasaur from the anime, I'm going to call her female. =/
So?

Peter Pan is always played by a woman in every stage production, does that make him female?

Voice actor's genders are positively correlated with the genders of characters they play, but they do not establish the genders of the characters they play.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
So?

Peter Pan is always played by a woman in every stage production, does that make him female?

Voice actor's genders are positively correlated with the genders of characters they play, but they do not establish the genders of the characters they play.
Ah, but Ivysaur is a pokemon that can be either gender, and there is no indication of Ivysaur's gender by sight.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Ah, but Ivysaur is a pokemon that can be either gender, and there is no indication of Ivysaur's gender by sight.
Which means the default is "he".

Since the voice actor's gender doesn't decide the character's gender, in English we use the default pronoun for something that is gendered but the gender is unknown, namely the masculine pronoun.

So yes, Ivysaur's gender is unknown, but he is properly referred to as a "he".

leelue

Smash Lord
Let me break it down for you.

Sonic can recover from Aether Spike unless he's at an obscenely high %, so don't even bring that up `.`;

I've played some horrible and some decent Ikes as Sonic. The decent ones had better mindgames into their moves, and at the best it looked like it could have been a neutral-ish matchup against Sonic.
^^^I've done it, so it must be true.
I don't understand why there is so much debate on the Ike/sonic matchup in this room.. but i agree that Ike canot possible have more than a nuetural matchup against sonic. I see a lot of talk concerning Ikes recovery here, and yeah, its not pretty. I'll just repeat the glaringly obvious fact that the spring destroys Ike. and in lieu of that sonic can (risky) drop down and get behind/above ike and F/Bair him on the way up.
Its hard, but again, I've done it so it must be true.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
So?

Maybe you didn't read what I said properly.

The voice actor who did Ivysaur's female voice is the same one who did May's female Bulbasaur in the anime. When Ivysaur first appeared in the Japanese version of the anime the voice they used for it was a lot more masculine than the one in Brawl. The fact that they chose Miyako Ito voice Ivysaur in Brawl leans to the Ivysaur being a girl, since May's Bulbasaur (the one Miyako Ito was the voice of) was clearly a girl.

If they wanted Ivysaur to be male, they would've picked the usual voice for it in the anime, but they didn't.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Maybe you didn't read what I said properly.

The voice actor who did Ivysaur's female voice is the same one who did May's female Bulbasaur in the anime. When Ivysaur first appeared in the Japanese version of the anime the voice they used for it was a lot more masculine than the one in Brawl. The fact that they chose Miyako Ito voice Ivysaur in Brawl leans to the Ivysaur being a girl, since May's Bulbasaur (the one Miyako Ito was the voice of) was clearly a girl.

If they wanted Ivysaur to be male, they would've picked the usual voice for it in the anime, but they didn't.
Which is hardly relevant because it doesn't positively establish gender. It establishes the POSSIBILITY of intent (a whole host of other factors could explain the choice) for a specific gender, but it doesn't actually establish gender.

So, we default to the English default, "he", since the gender is unknown. Without an explicit statement of gender, this is the only correct option under English grammar.

BTW, what indicated that May's Bulbasaur was female? My time watching the anime was limited since I never really enjoyed it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
What the hell is this? I'm getting really sick of this site.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqgP-Xgceg

Just because he's your main/secondary doesn't make him a good character. Take my secondary, Ganondorf, I freely admit that he is bottom tier, no ifs ands or buts (unless something amazing changes).

I'm getting really sick of everyone having an intractable bias towards their mains/secondaries.

How about this:

US version: Ivysaur is male.

Japanese version: Ivysaur is female.

Problem solved.
How about this:

US version: Ivysaur's gender is unknown

Japanese version: Ivysaur's gender is unknown.

So, in English, the default is "he" for something gendered that's gender is unknown.

In Japanese, it's "yatsu", which is not gendered when the gender is known anyway.

Again, the point is, we have no clue what the Ivysaur's gender is in either the English or Japanese version.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord

Just because he's your main/secondary doesn't make him a good character. Take my secondary, Ganondorf, I freely admit that he is bottom tier, no ifs ands or buts (unless something amazing changes).

I'm getting really sick of everyone having an intractable bias towards their mains/secondaries.
I have accepted his weaknesses. That was the easy part. I just hate how everyone seems to veiw Captain Falcon as some low-witted, useless crap personality. Theres no respect anymore.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I have accepted his weaknesses. That was the easy part. I just hate how everyone seems to veiw Captain Falcon as some low-witted, useless crap personality. Theres no respect anymore.
Well, somebody has to be the bottom, and being the bottom doesn't make somebody useless by definition.

The fact is, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon are the two worst characters in the game, relatively speaking.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Well, somebody has to be the bottom, and being the bottom doesn't make somebody useless by definition.

The fact is, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon are the two worst characters in the game, relatively speaking.
Mmm. I can agree. I'll just have to ingore all the users who beat on them with jokes and trash talk.

popsofctown

Smash Champion

How about this:

US version: Ivysaur's gender is unknown

Japanese version: Ivysaur's gender is unknown.

So, in English, the default is "he" for something gendered that's gender is unknown.

In Japanese, it's "yatsu", which is not gendered when the gender is known anyway.

Again, the point is, we have no clue what the Ivysaur's gender is in either the English or Japanese version.
I'm gonna back ambrodeus up on this. The trophies for pokemon say "it". Plus, in the games, an Ivysaur owned by any old trainer might be female might be male. The ivysaur in the game is just any old ivysaur, owned by a generic, any old trainer, so it's of indeterminant gender.

It would be fun if we made up a pronoun that replaces the name of a pokemon. Just for smashboards. Anyway, Ivysaur should be represented by the pronoun "he".

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Well my list I am working on now includes order as a factor. I am only including characters from the weekly discussion so that we don't have too many disagreements and can have good discussion on only a few characters placement at a time.
For those that missed it, my list is on page 871. I am going to keep it as updated as possible, and my goal is that once we finish all the characters on the weekly discussion, we will have a pretty solid tier list, and we will be able to see if our list will match the SBR list. It will show that us non-SBR people can develop a proper tier list as well.
I wonder if the SBR is doing the same thing making a tier list with only characters in the weekly discussion thread.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi's gonna be lower now, he's the least used in tourneys out of all the characters, when did this happen? It's sad, really.

Meta Knight has also surpassed Snake finally in tourney rankings...

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Because? This topic might be a mess, but at least try to give reasons for whatever you claim.

I disagree with you by the way. While Kirby is a solid character, he doesn't perform nearly as well as Wario does.
Equal or better recovery.
Better KO game.
Chain grabs are ineffective and/or don't work against him.
Wario gets ***** badly by grab release, Kirby doesn't.
Better at gimping.
Slightly better range overall.
Get's a free 0-48% combo on most of the cast.

Only thing Wario has in his favor is weight and aerial movement speed.

Btw, Chu Dat took second at Esticle yesterday with Kirby.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Take my secondary, Ganondorf, I freely admit that he is bottom tier, no ifs ands or buts (unless something amazing changes).
There was this tech the SBR has been working on that breathed some air in SFR last night called twice jump that defies physics.

I found a possible use for this AT so you can use it to increase your recovery options from the edge.

However, Ganondorf cannot reach the platform with this move, so he undoubtedly has the least options from the ledge as compared to other characters, thus he is bottom of bottom tier.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
kirby is not as good as wario, with or without grab-release. wario has way more tournament success

Chu ***** cuz hes chu
The H2YL tier list has also has Kirby > Wario. In your last post there you agreed with Wario's placement and said the list was flawless.

Snail

Smash Lord
Equal or better recovery.
Better KO game.
Chain grabs are ineffective and/or don't work against him.
Wario gets ***** badly by grab release, Kirby doesn't.
Better at gimping.
Slightly better range overall.
Get's a free 0-48% combo on most of the cast.

Only thing Wario has in his favor is weight and aerial movement speed.

Btw, Chu Dat took second at Esticle yesterday with Kirby.
If Kirby is so superior, I wonder why he's so far behind Wario in tournament rankings.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
If Kirby is so superior, I wonder why he's so far behind Wario in tournament rankings.
The tournament rankings list is not a tier list. It has Luigi in last place below Captain Falcon. You really think Captain Falcon is better than Luigi? Popularity is a factor. Rankings shift. Snake was above Metaknight for a long time, even though everyone knows Metaknight is better than Snake.

Snail

Smash Lord
The tournament rankings list is not a tier list. It has Luigi in last place below Captain Falcon. You really think Captain Falcon is better than Luigi? Popularity is a factor. Rankings shift. Snake was above Metaknight for a long time, even though everyone knows Metaknight is better than Snake.
I know it's not a tier list. It wasn't a rhetorical question, I'm seriously wondering.

To be honest, I have very little knowledge of Wario, so I just can't see why he's doing so well even though he gets infinite grab released by several characters :/ Is it because he does better against MK and Snake than most characters?

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I thought it was because he was only played well by a select few people, rather like Pit (there's only been like 5 people who've contributed to Pit's results at most last time I checked.)
Tournament results > Match-ups > Individual character prowess.
I think makes up the tier list, in that priority.
Unless things pick up Luigi's gonna end up low tier because of his results :\

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I also forgot to mention Kirby's jab lock that can infinite you across stages and against walls. Ridiculous. Or on regular stages you can just jab lock to Fsmash for the kill or edge guard opportunity.

Crank

Smash Apprentice
Does anybody here consider that TL is an easy character to play? A noob has been trying to argue with me that he thinks hes an easy character to play competetively and thats why nobody plays him, which makes no sense because easy characters to play competetively are win.

Snail

Smash Lord
So Wario is doing so well purely because of popularity and Futile? :/ There has to be some other reason, lol.

The jab lock is sorta hard to do because you have to footstool your opponent, fastfall a Nair perfectly and jab repeatedly without accidentally Ftilting even though you have to walk forward. :/ I've never seen it used in a real match anyway...

EDIT: Toon Link isn't easy to competitively play. He's quite technical really... And especially hard to KO with in a tournament setting. So yeah :/

MK on the other hand...

Snail

Smash Lord
this thread is getting crazy...

well, can anyone update me on how the tier list is looking so far?
There is no tier list yet, everything in this topic is just speculation.

We can assume the top will look something like this, though:

Top:

Meta Knight
Snake

Upper:

Mr G&W
King Dedede
ROB
Marth
Falco

The rest varies greatly in most people's tier lists. I suppose DK, Wario, Olimar and Pikachu will be High Tier, but we can't know for sure. Although what I wrote above is the general consensus about the top/upper tiers, even that could change in the official list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom