• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Well originally seemingly EVERYONE thought Wolf, Marth, and Toon Link were going to be top tier, and half the time you were scoffed for not thinking so. People thought Snake was too clunky, and MK didn't have enough KO power. The top tier characters can easily change again come two or three months.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
so is there any kind of agreement on a tier list idea yet?
We're not going to see anything about that for a long time. Basically, Grunts list seems to be the most accpeted so I'll say his.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I think Lucario should be high tier, he is a good character and can handle the Top Tier characters very well, save D3 (although that may just be me).
Well he has a neutral matchup with Snake, MK and Falco. the first 2 are top tier while Falco is behind G&W and DDD. I'm not sure about Marth and G&W though he might have a good matchup with them, ROB I'm not sure about him.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Lucario has probs with G&W, Marth, Olimar, Snake and TL according to the Match-up chart. I'm not sure about Snake and Marth - both seem 50:50 to me. G&W is almost guaranteed to own Lucario and I can see Lucario having problems with Olimar and TL, too.

I don't think he has very good match-ups against high tiered characters

Browny

Smash Hater
im pretty sure TL was only listed as a disadvantage because of the whole 'TL is top tier' phase that was going on for the first few months. Olimar and G&W remain a hard fight, but the rest is ok.

im pretty sure TL was only listed as a disadvantage because of the whole 'TL is top tier' phase that was going on for the first few months. Olimar and G&W remain a hard fight, but the rest is ok.
Now could you mind actually proving that instead of just using that as an excuse? I hate it how people just use silly blanket statements to counter an argument.

Browny

Smash Hater
there was practically no lucario vs TL matches played at any decent level at the time that chart was made. There was no basis for the disadvantage in the first place, besides the fact that TL has a good vertical kill move. once again, that was made on the assumption that lucario is a lightweight, which of course he isnt (hes above middlewieght).

I think youll notice a link between characters with great vertical KO moves and thier match-ups vs lucario on that chart, which seems to be about the only common link, hence why TL is there.

and there still is hardly any tourney vids or anything to argue the TL v lucario, while there is plenty of snake, dedede, rob, for example.

Krayn

Smash Apprentice
way to ruin it. o.0

snake, MK
High
D3, Gaw, Falco, ROB, Marth
Hi-mid
Wario, Tink, Pikachu, Wolf, Pit
Mid
Olimar, Lucario, DK, IC, Kirby, Diddy, Fox, Zelda, Luigi, ZSS
Lo-mid
Ike, Lucas, Sonic, Shiek, Ness, Peach
Low
Mario, Bowser, PT, Yoshi, Link
Bottom
Samus, Falcon, Ganon, Jigglypuff
What the hell is Lucario doing mid. He should be in Hi-mid aswell as diddy and dk.

perfectchaoslemon

Smash Rookie
all this talk about a tier list for brawl makes me wonder, I mean I've seen plenty of tournament play vids on youtube, but it doesn't look like CF is completely hopeless against Metaknight, let alone Sonic. Yeah, Sonic's probably going to end up a higher tier than CF, and who knows? The most agreeable tier list probably won't change much either. Sonic is my 3rd main in brawl, so I'm not trying to be biased. He'll probably be low tier, at most mid.

P.S. YOU'RE TOO SLOW! *runs in place*:laugh:

all this talk about a tier list for brawl makes me wonder, I mean I've seen plenty of tournament play vids on youtube, but it doesn't look like CF is completely hopeless against Metaknight, let alone Sonic. Yeah, Sonic's probably going to end up a higher tier than CF, and who knows? The most agreeable tier list probably won't change much either. Sonic is my 3rd main in brawl, so I'm not trying to be biased. He'll probably be low tier, at most mid.

P.S. YOU'RE TOO SLOW! *runs in place*:laugh:
*Spams tornade against Falcon*

*Wins*

Fool's Gil

Smash Apprentice
I'm probably going to get a lot of (expletive) for saying this, but I think it should be said:

Naming Tiers are useless because anyone can get to the top with anybody. You say certain characters are low because "They're slow!" or "They're too light!" or "They just suck for too many reasons!" That's not what makes them low tier. What makes them low tier is they take longer to diminsh their weakness and augment their strengths than others. Who here would rather spend months mastering Ganondorf, then spend weeks mastering Marth, and go to a few tourney's during the same amount of time?

...Exactly. You go for Marth and Metaknight and Fox and badmouth Link and Bowser and Mario, who just need more patience to be considered better. Just wait. Pigs'll grow wings when Pokemon Trainer wins a tournament, guaranteed.

Even though I'll incur even more wrath, I'll leave you with this paraphrased cliche anime comment: "With enough hard work, anyone can take the elite."

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
There, I fixed your post for you.

So what's the deal with Olimar? It seems like not to long ago he was doing extremely well in the tourny scene and people were trying to get him into high tier. Now I see him in mid tier on "the list the everyone agrees on," but yet he still has good tourny results.

Griffard

Smash Ace
I'm probably going to get a lot of (expletive) for saying this, but I think it should be said:

Naming Tiers are useless because anyone can get to the top with anybody. You say certain characters are low because "They're slow!" or "They're too light!" or "They just suck for too many reasons!" That's not what makes them low tier. What makes them low tier is they take longer to diminsh their weakness and augment their strengths than others. Who here would rather spend months mastering Ganondorf, then spend weeks mastering Marth, and go to a few tourney's during the same amount of time?

...Exactly. You go for Marth and Metaknight and Fox and badmouth Link and Bowser and Mario, who just need more patience to be considered better. Just wait. Pigs'll grow wings when Pokemon Trainer wins a tournament, guaranteed.

Even though I'll incur even more wrath, I'll leave you with this paraphrased cliche anime comment: "With enough hard work, anyone can take the elite."
very nice. I think a lot of people either don't know this or have stopped considering this.

off topic: Ganondorf is NOT the worst character in the game. Seriously, do some research, OR try playing with him!

I though everyone liked my list >_>.

Reposting lol.
Top Tier:
Snake <1>
Meta Knight <2>
Mr. Game and Watch <4>

Very High Tier:
Marth <5>
Falco <8>
R.O.B.<7>
King Dedede <3>
Wario <6>
Olimar <10>

High Tier:
Pit <13>
Wolf <12>
Pikachu <21>
Toon Link <23>
Lucario <9>
Zelda <18>
Donkey Kong <11>
Fox <14>

Mid Tier:
Ice Climbers<15>
Diddy Kong <20>
Kirby <16>
Luigi <27>
Lucas <30>
Ness <17>
ZSS <19>

Low tier :
Ike <28>
Peach <22>
Mario <29>
Pokemon Trainer <34>
Bowser <26>
Sonic <24>
Sheik <35>

Bottom Tier:
Link <33>
Samus <25>
Ganondorf <Unranked>
Yoshi <36> (Holy **** finally!)
Jigglypuff <31>
*SPACE*
Captain Falcon <35>

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Where's your latest list, NSS? I always thought you had some of the best.

Edit: Way to make me look like an idiot lol. It does look really good. I might consider moving Fox down a tier, I think he fits better with the Mid-tier characters.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Well. I'm not a big tier junkie, so this might not be as accurate as others, but I might as well give it a shot.

Top Tier
Snake
Meta Knight
Game & Watch

Very High Tier
Toon Link
Wolf
Marth
Falco
Fox
Dedede

High Tier
Olimar
Pit
Wario
R.O.B.
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Pikachu

Middle Tier
Donkey Kong
Luigi
Zelda
Kirby
Ice Climbers
Lucas
Zero Suit Samus

Low Tier
Ness
Ike
Pokemon Trainer
Bowser
Shiek
Mario
Sonic

Bottom Tier
Link
Peach
Samus
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Yoshi
Ganondorf

cutter

Smash Champion

Reposting lol.
Top Tier:
Snake <1>
Meta Knight <2>
Mr. Game and Watch <4>

Very High Tier:
Marth <5>
Falco <8>
R.O.B.<7>
King Dedede <3>
Wario <6>
Olimar <10>

High Tier:
Pit <13>
Wolf <12>
Pikachu <21>
Toon Link <23>
Lucario <9>
Zelda <18>
Donkey Kong <11>
Fox <14>

Mid Tier:
Ice Climbers<15>
Diddy Kong <20>
Kirby <16>
Luigi <27>
Lucas <30>
Ness <17>
ZSS <19>

Low tier :
Ike <28>
Peach <22>
Mario <29>
Pokemon Trainer <34>
Bowser <26>
Sonic <24>
Sheik <35>

Bottom Tier:
Link <33>
Samus <25>
Ganondorf <Unranked>
Jigglypuff <31>
*SPACE*
Captain Falcon <35>
That actually looks very similar to Silverflash-x's tier list on Gamefaqs. It's ok though; I think it's the most accurate tier list to date since he has put extensive research into each character and each placement.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Well. I'm not a big tier junkie, so this might not be as accurate as others, but I might as well give it a shot.

Top Tier
Snake
Meta Knight
Game & Watch

Very High Tier
Toon Link
Wolf
Marth
Falco
Fox
Dedede

High Tier
Olimar
Pit
Wario
R.O.B.

Diddy Kong
Lucario
Pikachu

Middle Tier
Donkey Kong
Luigi
Zelda
Kirby
Ice Climbers
Lucas
Zero Suit Samus

Low Tier
Ness
Ike
Pokemon Trainer
Bowser
Shiek
Mario
Sonic

Bottom Tier
Link
Peach
Samus
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Yoshi
Ganondorf
Red = WTF?

Pieisthebest

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0430-8304-2774
That actually looks very similar to Silverflash-x's tier list on Gamefaqs. It's ok though; I think it's the most accurate tier list to date since he has put extensive research into each character and each placement.
NSS is know as Longhorn on Gamefaqs. He posts his list there aswell. Maybe the two of them work together or something =/

cutter

Smash Champion
Everyone has Pit a little tiny bit too high. He should be placed down one or two... under Falcon.
I still remember when Pit (along with Toon Link) were locks for top tier shortly after the US release. :laugh:

But Pit is definately above average; he has a great moveset, fun stuff to play around with in terms of techniques, good matchups, great projectile, etc.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party

Reposting lol.
Top Tier:
Snake <1>
Meta Knight <2>
Mr. Game and Watch <4>

Very High Tier:
Marth <5>
Falco <8>
R.O.B.<7>
King Dedede <3>
Wario <6>
Olimar <10>

High Tier:
Pit <13>
Wolf <12>
Pikachu <21>
Toon Link <23>
Lucario <9>
Zelda <18>
Donkey Kong <11>
Fox <14>

Mid Tier:
Ice Climbers<15>
Diddy Kong <20>
Kirby <16>
Luigi <27>
Lucas <30>
Ness <17>
ZSS <19>

Low tier :
Ike <28>
Peach <22>
Mario <29>
Pokemon Trainer <34>
Bowser <26>
Sonic <24>
Sheik <35>

Bottom Tier:
Link <33>
Samus <25>
Ganondorf <Unranked>
Jigglypuff <31>
*SPACE*
Captain Falcon <35>
That looks quite good but fox isn't in the same tier as pit and wolf imo. I think fox and IC's should switch. I also think Olimar > Wario and wolf > pit

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Can someone please give a clear definition of a "tier list" or "tier placement" so we can shut up all of the noobs who keep saying their character is top tier?
btw just fyi if you were talking about the whole Yoshi argument, I/they weren't asking/arguing that he should be top tier, we were arguing at least that he shouldn't be bottom, and at least be in low.

yes NSS your list is fine. WAIT, Yoshi got a ranking?! or is that the one that they removed some reason... o well, im gonna check the character rankings list :)

I made my Tier lists WAY before Silverflash started posting his own >_>.

Even he will admit that

mimic_king

Smash Lord
all I know is that snake should be 1 and meta knight 2.

here is a part of the results of the Mass Madness 9:

1: Cort ($435.60) (Snake)
2: PC Chris ($237.60) (Snake)
3: Nuro ($118.80) (Snake)
4: Jinx (Metaknight)
5: Solid Jake (Snake)
5: Darc (Snake)

It's obvious that Snake can easily win tournaments. Meta knight is the only other character on there, which makes him second.

all I know is that snake should be 1 and meta knight 2.

here is a part of the results of the Mass Madness 9:

1: Cort ($435.60) (Snake)
2: PC Chris ($237.60) (Snake)
3: Nuro ($118.80) (Snake)
4: Jinx (Metaknight)
5: Solid Jake (Snake)
5: Darc (Snake)

It's obvious that Snake can easily win tournaments. Meta knight is the only other character on there, which makes him second.
Because one tournament decides everything and this is completely breaking news mirite?

Adapt

Smash Lord
I still think you have pikachu and TL too high NSS... I have yet to see any reason why they are better than DK, Fox or Lucario. Especially DK and Lucario. They are really sucking in placements. Sure we could put it down to not as many people playing them, but you are still moving them up about 10 places... which is a lot.

Here is mine from a few pages back: I haven't really got any negative comments on it yet

Top: Snake, MK
High: DDD, GaW, Marth, Falco, ROB, Wario
Upper: Lucario, Olimar, DK, Wolf, Pit, ICs, Fox, Kirby, Pikachu, TL
Lower: Diddy, ZSS, Zelda, Luigi, Ness, Sonic, Peach, Sheik, Mario, Lucas
Low: Ike, PT, Bowser, Samus, Link, Jiggs
Bottom: Ganon, Yoshi, CF

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I still think you have pikachu and TL too high NSS... I have yet to see any reason why they are better than DK, Fox or Lucario. Especially DK and Lucario. They are really sucking in placements. Sure we could put it down to not as many people playing them, but you are still moving them up about 10 places... which is a lot.

Here is mine from a few pages back: I haven't really got any negative comments on it yet

Top: Snake, MK
High: DDD, GaW, Marth, Falco, ROB, Wario
Upper: Lucario, Olimar, DK, Wolf, Pit, ICs, Fox, Kirby, Pikachu, TL
Lower: Diddy, ZSS, Zelda, Luigi, Ness, Sonic, Peach, Sheik, Mario, Lucas
Low: Ike, PT, Bowser, Samus, Link, Jiggs
Bottom: Ganon, Yoshi, CF
Is lower supposed to be middle? Because if it isn't, then i'd say there's a pretty big error. Just switch DDD with Game and Watch, and it's a great tier list. (Maybe you could move up Luigi to somewhere in the high, but everyone would think that's stupid).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom