• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corigames

Smash Hero
How come there are so many people here who have less than 10 posts commenting on who is the best? You haven't even been playing hard for a month and you want to judge the competitive potential of 35+ characters?

You are twisted.

Bogoron

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bogoron
3DS FC
2406-5420-2675
How come there are so many people here who have less than 10 posts commenting on who is the best? You haven't even been playing hard for a month and you want to judge the competitive potential of 35+ characters?

You are twisted.
I agree with this (even though I'm one of those people with less than 10 posts).

Also, another thing.
When saying a character should be higher, lower or whatever on someone else's tier list, give reasons.

Don't just post things like this:

ike and pt are both too low (up one tier for both imo). lucas, wario, and kirby are all too high.
EDIT: Erg... Then again opinions like these do contribute to a tier list a little.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman

You are twisted.
It's Because this is the biggest thread on smashboards and everyone wants to think that they know who the best are, but know one will be 100% right unless they have a list that matches the SBR's

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
personally I beleive that these people with >10 posts who are posting here are either
a) like me they didn't get an account early on is the SSB series history however they still have experience
b) they are like coreygames said, twisted

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Some people who are new here really aren't new but have been lurking for some time. I started looking around on this page in early '06 and yet I didn't join until a year and a half later. I personally don't mind them posting here unless they come up just to defend their main, saying something like "lawl Diddy is top tier he has bananas!!!!!111!!1". At least contribute to the conversation and don't pretend you're smart if you aren't. I've seen some really good first posts, but it's generally best to know what you're talking about before you get an account.

this one isn't as good as your previous attempts, imo.

ike and pt are both too low (up one tier for both imo). lucas, wario, and kirby are all too high.
Ike and Ness should actually switch places. PT should be just above Shiek but, unfortunately, he still belongs in low tier.
Lucas can escape from cg more easily than ness so he should stay where he is.
Wario is winning a hell of a lot of tournaments, dude. I used to underrate him but I've learned the error of my ways. Respect.
Kirby is a beast in Brawl, and though he's not as awesome as he was in SSB, he will remain at the lower end of high tier.

Rat

Smash Lord
Ok here one of those things which doesn't exist. Best are at the top, then in descending order.

...Profit! Tier:
Metaknight
Snake

The Tier to separate the Tiers Tier:

Oldschool Tier:
Game & Watch
ROB

Good Tier:
King DeDeDe
Pikachu
Marth
Kirby
Falco
Wario

Definately shouldn't win tournaments, but sometimes do Tier:
Donkey Kong
Toon Link
Olimar
Pit
Wolf
Ike

Deserve to be a tier higher Tier:
Zero Suit Samus
Lucario
Ice Climbers
Diddy Kong

Middleschool Tier:
Luigi
Peach
Fox
Mario
Jigglypuff

Yes he is really good, but because he can be utterly (moo?) destroyed by 1 character plus his fanatics overhype him Tier:
Ness

Low Tier:
Shiek
Lucas
Sonic
Zelda

Pokemon Trainer Tier:
Pokemon Trainer

Gimpyfish Tier:
Bowser

Slippy Teir:
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Captain falcon
Ganon

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion

You are twisted.
Well, many of us have been lurking for years, or have had past accounts with more posts (yo).

Yeah, I have more then 10, but 20 is still, like... nothing.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
So what's the final verdict on Lucas/Ness's placement?
The CG has been shown to not be as awful as it was considered at first, at least for Lucas. Marth and PT still chainrape though. I'm thinking maybe one tier lower than they were originally? Thoughts please.

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
I agree with this (even though I'm one of those people with less than 10 posts).

Also, another thing.
When saying a character should be higher, lower or whatever on someone else's tier list, give reasons.

Don't just post things like this:

EDIT: Erg... Then again opinions like these do contribute to a tier list a little.
i sort of agree, but does my post REALLY need to have reasons? that guy put lucas and lucario in top tier. i mean... honestly?

on wario, i'm aware that wario has had some competitive success, but that's mostly because of his awkward style and the fact that he apparently can **** the hell out of snake's recovery. i had a TON of trouble with wario the first few times i fought him, but once you get more experience, he honestly reminds me of ike: a pretty capable character, but very easy to predict. i was torn to shreds by wario's dair until i learned when to expect it. i don't really have too much difficulty with wario any more.

kirby in high tier... i don't really agree with. he's a good character, but there are just too many other characters who deserve to be above him. i'm just not convinced.

pt definitely deserves more credit than most people give him. emblem lord, the guy who claims to be at the "forefront of marth's metagame," has said in the past that charizard could stand up to marth, if only until fatigue gets to him. take from that what you will.

squirtle is just a little monster... i personally am not very good as squirtle, but i have seen squirtles combo people as though their opponents were in the restroom. squirtle's only real problems are his light weight, low running speed, and generally low range (unfortunately, two of those weaknesses directly counteract his strengths, which is what keeps him from being overly strong).

ivysaur, probably the worst of the three, is still mid tier material. his biggest weakness is that he doesn't really have something to just get people away from him, meaning that he takes damage rather easily, and once he's off the stage, he has a tether recovery to save him, which is kind of easy to gimp. other than that, he actually has a lot going for him. bullet seed and vine whip are two of the most abusable moves in the game, good smashes (with his upsmash being the strongest in the game), all-around good aerials, and a high priority projectile. his jab is also ridiculously good. being a jab, it's fast, but it also has a completely unfair amount of range. i've found that people generally respond to my jabs by trying to jump above me, which opens them up perfectly for a vine whip. i see ivysaur as kind of a high-risk-high-reward character. he has the tools to work people over, but also can't really stop it from happening to him.

all around, pt is actually a pretty good character who just gets dragged down a little by (a) the fatigue system and (b) not being able to utilize all of his strengths at once. honestly, the pt character is an easy mid tier when you use him correctly. he just requires too much work to make it to high tier, but he has too much going for him (and any one of his pokemon) to be in low. unfortunately, i foresee pt being a victim of low popularity, which is going to hurt him more than anything in the competitive scene.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Please, dude, don't make the mistake of saying Wario is PREDICTABLE... half his game depends on him being UNpredictable.
Kirby. Who deserves to be above him? Snake, MK, Marth, G-Dub, Wolf, Falco, ROB, Pikachu, Toonie, IC's, Dedede, and possibly Pit. Considering there's 35 characters in the game and I just listed 12, he should be just fine at the bottom of high tier. Have you seen any good Kirbys in action?
And here we go with PT again...
Each character is stellar in one respect. Charizard in strength, Squirtle in speed, and Ivysaur in range. I think what Sakurai intended was for each to work together well. Unfortunately, Pokemon Change takes way too long for this to work, and no character can be used consistently anyway. As such, PT has few really good matchups and will always be extremely weak in certain areas of their game. Upper low tier for sure.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
I think bias need to be taken away to make a fair tier list.

For example. I like all the characters. Even I know that Ike is mid to low tier and sonic is low tier.

I think you guys should take your bias out of the tiers and make an actual good Tierlist.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the planet where ppl can l2p and avoid the z air

and to shark week, ivy's up smash? strongest in game? strongest smash or strongest upsmash? everyone knows that the king of fat penguins has the strongest smash in the game. with the 2nd thing you might have an arguement, of course thats be4 anybody (including me for a little while) remembers that lucas is in this game and his up smash hits you with one of the most powerful things in his game's universe

Ah, I was just about to ask this question.

I say they both move down to Mid, with Lucas ahead of Ness because he's more resistent against this. However, I don't think they'll ever regain their once percived Low High Tier status again unless they absolutely explode on the tourney scene

Hell dude, some people call me biased when I place MK in Top on my Tier list back on Gamefaqs. But many percive it to be a true statement.

Not saying I'm biased, it's just that awkward situations like that occur. Apparently mine and Kiwi's seem to be somewhat accurate (albeit I bet I did moar research >_>)

Lucario2k8

Smash Cadet
somewhere far away think its called hyrule
i reckon if a pro (azen, pc, or chillin would be my favourites) picked up pokemon trainor, trained for at least 3 months, we could be looking at the best character ever to be included in a fighting game. there is simply, (well theortically), no plausable weakness.........but it simply wont happen :( yeah well its hard to say but i reckon:
GOD TIER:R.O.B
HIGH TIER:Snake, Pit, DeDeDe,Marth, Toon link, space animals
Mid teir:pokemon Trainor, Peach, Zelda/sheik, mario, luigi,possibly Ike in the right hands, Pikachu
Low teir: Link, Bowser, Ganan (dont flame, i just hav not seen any out standing performances) Ice climbers, samus, Lucario (a shame he is ****in coolio)
Bottom:Sonic
There is a few more ambigous characters at the moment which i dont think are ready to be catorgorized

well thats my two cent$.:)

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
All the Jigglies being put in Low makes me feel nobody plays 'er enough o.o

If she's so light then wouldn't it just be an issue on just proper spacing and mindgaming that makes her great, or could that apply to any other character?

Mindgames, as awesome as they are, cannot save a character who's just overall bad.

And yes, that can apply to EVERY character. Everyone needs good spacing and mindgames

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
So her airgame and B moves are just gimmicks? :(

I really can't see how she's so bad except for lightweightedness. May I get some more details?

She's my current main right now so that's why I'm bein a little defensive. Sorry ^^

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
So her airgame and B moves are just gimmicks? :(

I really can't see how she's so bad except for lightweightedness. May I get some more details?

She's my current main right now so that's why I'm bein a little defensive. Sorry ^^
I think the issue is that her airgame isn't as useful nor impressive as it used to be in Melee. Airdodging and shielding is far more useful now, so avoiding aerials is possible at almost all times. Also, factor in the fact that there are characters that can do everything she can, but better -looks at Wario- its hard to place her high.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Thanks! Comment though:

Even the attack evasion may be better, she always manages to escape in the air out of their reach before others get a chance to react out of evasions. And even then, shielding against them would make the opponent more susceptible to being grabbed. And how about Wario's recovery not being as good? or does that not matter?

This is strictly from just playing over WiFi though; I'm not sure how well my statement holds up against the real thing.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Not saying I'm biased, it's just that awkward situations like that occur. Apparently mine and Kiwi's seem to be somewhat accurate (albeit I bet I did moar research >_>)
Honestly, I dunno where the bias issue came from. The only biased posters are ones who have just joined Smashboards and think that Diddy Kong is god.

Yeah, you prolly did more research than I did, my research was just lurking around a lot on this board and posting things that, in retrospect, made me sound pretty stupid. Hey, we were all noobs once.

Even the attack evasion may be better, she always manages to escape in the air out of their reach before others get a chance to react out of evasions. And even then, shielding against them would make the opponent more susceptible to being grabbed. And how about Wario's recovery not being as good? or does that not matter?

This is strictly from just playing over WiFi though; I'm not sure how well my statement holds up against the real thing.
Wario's recovery and Jiggz' recovery are two entirely different stories. Wario recovers up and forward diagonally, while Jiggz has a poor vertical recovery that can get her to the edge but takes so much time that it's easily edgeguarded with a spike. Therefore, I don't think they can really be compared... it's like comparing Melee Fox and Brawl Fox's ground games.

Jiggz isn't what she once was, which is lame because I liked her in Melee. Pound is, thankfully, the same, but rest was nerfed and her WOP doesn't seem as impressive now that more characters can do it. In a game where characters seem to die later, Jiggz still dies at the same percentage. She's no good this time around.

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
Based on YouTube, Tournies and my playgroups opinions:
(NO Particular Order Within Groups)

Top Tier:
Snake
Meta Knight
Marth

High:
Wolf
Fox
Falco
Dedede
Toon Link
Pit
R.O.B.

Middle:
Olimar
Luigi
Ike
Pokemon Trainer
Pikachu
ZSS
Peach
Wario
Zelda
Ice Climbers
Captain Falcon
Lucas

Low:
Donkey Kong
Ness
Kirby
Mr. Game and Watch
Sonic
Lucario
Bowser
Mario
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Shiek
Samus

Bottom:
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Link

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
Please, dude, don't make the mistake of saying Wario is PREDICTABLE... half his game depends on him being UNpredictable.
Kirby. Who deserves to be above him? Snake, MK, Marth, G-Dub, Wolf, Falco, ROB, Pikachu, Toonie, IC's, Dedede, and possibly Pit. Considering there's 35 characters in the game and I just listed 12, he should be just fine at the bottom of high tier. Have you seen any good Kirbys in action?
And here we go with PT again...
Each character is stellar in one respect. Charizard in strength, Squirtle in speed, and Ivysaur in range. I think what Sakurai intended was for each to work together well. Unfortunately, Pokemon Change takes way too long for this to work, and no character can be used consistently anyway. As such, PT has few really good matchups and will always be extremely weak in certain areas of their game. Upper low tier for sure.
i'd say EVERYBODY'S game relies on them being unpredictable, don't you?

i'm just not convinced that kirby deserves to be in high tier. and yes, i have played good kirbys. i'm not saying he's low or bottom tier, i'm just saying he's not high.

you're WAY oversimplifying the pt's individual pokemon. charizard has the most strength, yes, but he is also more than fast enough to not get hit out of everything. all of his tilts, all of his specials, up and down smash, all of his aerials, and jab are all actually surprisingly fast. you don't have to fsmash with him all the time, just like you don't have to fsmash with snake all the time.

squirtle is actually the slowest of the three pokemon, so it kind of worries me that you're making that statement (especially when you're berating me in the same post over kirby...). squirtle has so much aerial control and priority on his attacks that he has been compared to melee's jigglypuff. melee's jigglypuff was a speed character?

ivysaur... is mostly based on range, yes. but ivysaur has a lot of power on some attacks as well, so he's not only a range character. ivysaur is also a freaking WALL. razor leaf cuts through or cancels out almost all other projectiles, and vine whip and bullet seed allow ivysaur to completely control the air in front and above him. i could go on and on about ivysaur's aerials and smashes. his tilts are somewhat lackluster though.

i'm not trying to paint pt as top tier. i'm just saying, each of his pokemon is too good for low tier, and pt as a whole is too good for low tier. ivysaur, the worst of the three, is probably the only one who brings the pokemon trainer into "low tier" territory.

the planet where ppl can l2p and avoid the z air

and to shark week, ivy's up smash? strongest in game? strongest smash or strongest upsmash? everyone knows that the king of fat penguins has the strongest smash in the game. with the 2nd thing you might have an arguement, of course thats be4 anybody (including me for a little while) remembers that lucas is in this game and his up smash hits you with one of the most powerful things in his game's universe
strongest upsmash. and yes, it's been tested to be above lucas's. it kills off the top of fd at about 80% for middle weight characters. so no, lucas does not have the strongest upsmash.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
i'd say EVERYBODY'S game relies on them being unpredictable, don't you?
Not to Wario's extent, no. Your opponent can't see your Wario waft coming if you want it to do anything, for example. Also, Wario's bizarre movements make him rely more on mindgames than many other characters: eg, his odd spinning attacks like spotdodge and nair.
The point is, he still should be in high tier because a tier list is based on who wins tournaments, and take a look at Ankoku's character list, which I know is a bit of a popularity contest but still provides the most accurate list we have to date. Besides, it's not like Wario is a terribly popular character.

i'm just not convinced that kirby deserves to be in high tier. and yes, i have played good kirbys. i'm not saying he's low or bottom tier, i'm just saying he's not high.
Yeah, he really is. I'm sure you prolly just think I'm biased because he's my main, but he really is a good character brought down only by light weight and lack of a projectile.

you're WAY oversimplifying the pt's individual pokemon. charizard has the most strength, yes, but he is also more than fast enough to not get hit out of everything. all of his tilts, all of his specials, up and down smash, all of his aerials, and jab are all actually surprisingly fast. you don't have to fsmash with him all the time, just like you don't have to fsmash with snake all the time.
Please don't explain to me how to use PT, I already use him a lot. Charizard is a good character what with his stuff and other stuff, but you can't use him forever, and if you try, he quickly becomes a not-so-good character. That's what brings down PT, that he can't be used consistently. See my last post for the whole thing on why that's bad.

squirtle is actually the slowest of the three pokemon, so it kind of worries me that you're making that statement (especially when you're berating me in the same post over kirby...). squirtle has so much aerial control and priority on his attacks that he has been compared to melee's jigglypuff. melee's jigglypuff was a speed character?
Unlike Melee Jiggz, he can't WOP as effectively, he has crap recovery, and no rest. He's really more like Brawl's Jiggz than Melee's anyway. Also, using Squirtle usually ends up with the turtle dying hella early, like at 80% from a decent smash attack.

ivysaur... is mostly based on range, yes. but ivysaur has a lot of power on some attacks as well, so he's not only a range character. ivysaur is also a freaking WALL. razor leaf cuts through or cancels out almost all other projectiles, and vine whip and bullet seed allow ivysaur to completely control the air in front and above him. i could go on and on about ivysaur's aerials and smashes. his tilts are somewhat lackluster though.
I know all about Ivy. Look back about 50 pages and you'll see me defending her. However, I conceded multiple times that she belongs in low tier, but certainly not bottom tier.

i'm not trying to paint pt as top tier. i'm just saying, each of his pokemon is too good for low tier, and pt as a whole is too good for low tier. ivysaur, the worst of the three, is probably the only one who brings the pokemon trainer into "low tier" territory.
If the Pokemon were separated, which they shouldn't be, Squirtle would be low just because his aerial game doesn't redeem him for his ability to die in two seconds.
Charizard would be mid because he's probably the worst heavy character... Bowser, DK, Dedede, Wolf, and Snake are all better. So he's easily comboed and whatnot, but without as many redeeming qualities.
Ivy would also be low, which you admitted, so I don't really need to debate that.
That seems to average out as upper low to me, I dunno if they teach math where you live.
Plus, Pokemon Trainer, who is a VERY popular character, can't even do well in tournies. That seems like low tier material to me.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Jiggs is fine as she used to in Melee! She makes up for her poor verticle recovery by doing rising pound. Which does work in this game. Jigglypuff has a better verticle and horizontal recovery than Wario does. How do you think Jigglypuff does the reverse hyrule jump? Its more than horizontal, and even if Wario could get all the horizontal recovery he could possibly have he still wouldn't make it unless if he had a fully charged fart. Please, please, don't tell me that Jigglypuff has crap recovery. And last time I checked, Jigglypuff still has rest. And you don't have to combo do hit with it anymore. If you try to smash me and I powersheild it with puff I can rest you and you can't do anything about it. If your above 70 your dead. Simple as that. Most kills don't kill till after 100.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Rising pound gets you there eventually but takes forever and Jiggz can therefore consider herself spiked if she is knocked below the stage.
Wario's recovery: second jump, bike ride, bike jump, fart if possible, upB. He can get back from almost anywhere, don't give me the "wouldn't make it back" stuff.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Rising pound gets you there eventually but takes forever and Jiggz can therefore consider herself spiked if she is knocked below the stage.
Wario's recovery: second jump, bike ride, bike jump, fart if possible, upB. He can get back from almost anywhere, don't give me the "wouldn't make it back" stuff.
Well don't give me the same thing what makes you think that Jigglypuff "wouldn't make it back" Jigglypuff does the same thing that Pit does when he recovers, if your not dumb you won't go strait to the ledge to be set up for a kill. You go around the opponent, if pit gets hit once during his b up hes dead, so he goes out and around to avoid that, so does Jigglypuff. And how would Jigglypuff even get down there, if shes hit off the stages its going to be above the platform so she can always make it back. And even if she does come strait up, what makes you think she can't dodge the spike, shes got jumps to spare so she can either easily move out of the way with a small movment or a pound or air dodge. Wario might not have his bike with him at all times or his second jump, then all hes got his is crappy b up which goes 2 feet.

TehBo49

Smash Ace
In an alternate universe, where Brawl does not suc
Jiggs is fine as she used to in Melee! She makes up for her poor verticle recovery by doing rising pound. Which does work in this game. Jigglypuff has a better verticle and horizontal recovery than Wario does. How do you think Jigglypuff does the reverse hyrule jump? Its more than horizontal, and even if Wario could get all the horizontal recovery he could possibly have he still wouldn't make it unless if he had a fully charged fart. Please, please, don't tell me that Jigglypuff has crap recovery. And last time I checked, Jigglypuff still has rest. And you don't have to combo do hit with it anymore. If you try to smash me and I powersheild it with puff I can rest you and you can't do anything about it. If your above 70 your dead. Simple as that. Most kills don't kill till after 100.
Rest is actually much weaker in this game & with how easy it is to smash DI, its killing power is no longer impressive like it was in Melee.

In terms of recovery, Wario & Jigglypuff are about even. It's just that, like Kiwikomix said, Jigglypuff's is slower & therefore easier to edgeguard.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Rest is actually much weaker in this game & with how easy it is to smash DI, its killing power is no longer impressive like it was in Melee.

In terms of recovery, Wario & Jigglypuff are about even. It's just that, like Kiwikomix said, Jigglypuff's is slower & therefore easier to edgeguard.
Your kidding right? There are many recovery situations where Jigglypuff can recover and Wario can't, and only an idiot would be edgegaurded with Jigglypuff. If you ever fight a good Jigglypuff player in Brawl, your never going to kill them with the abyss. Your comparing Jigglypuff's recovery with a what-if situation with Wario, Wario is indeed better if he has a fully charged fart, a bike, and a second jump, but most of the time he dosn't have that charged fart, or his bike could possibly still be in play on the stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom