• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
I think the best evidence against yoshi is this:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954
i was actually thinking of mentioning that thread's findings, but that has a hole or two in it. like a poster in that thread mentioned, it accurately represents "power" at the top, but once you start heading towards the bottom it becomes clear that that is more of a popularity ranking and less of an indicator of a character's abilities.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Haha. A buddy of mine from jersey was in the top 8 at the Nintendo tourney where the first and second place winners were the Ike players that KingofCereal was referring too.

He told me that every match was played on a laggy HDTV.

Ike does well online due to lag, cuz he can hit with attacks that he normal can't like his smashes. When they went back to the hotel Chu Dat and Dav3 proceeded to **** the second place winner. They CGed the hell out of his Ike with Dedede.

They also owned him with other characters and not just him, but the first palce winner as well.

Know what the second place winner said? "I'm the second best in brawl in the world and I'm losing to CGing. I'm leaving!"

Everyone in the hotel room laughed at him as he walked out.

GG.

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
umm... Ivysaur better than peach, Wario, and Jiggs? yeah, NO.
I agree with you, wario can outmaneuver him, peach can peach bomber the crap out of him, and Jiggs has an easy setup for rest and/or recovery gimping(pound launching him before he can tether).:laugh: yeah IVsaur sucks he has his place though as he gives a fair fight to Yoshi.
EDIT: left this running for a while and when I came back I finished it, sorry if it no longer pertains to the discussion!

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Haha. A buddy of mine from jersey was in the top 8 at the Nintendo tourney where the first and second place winners were the Ike players that KingofCereal was referring too.

He told me that every match was played on a laggy HDTV.

Ike does well online due to lag, cuz he can hit with attacks that he normal can't like his smashes. When they went back to the hotel Chu Dat and Dav3 proceeded to **** the second place winner. They CGed the hell out of his Ike with Dedede.

They also owned him with other characters and not just him, but the first palce winner as well.

Know what the second place winner said? "I'm the second best in brawl in the world and I'm losing to CGing. I'm leaving!"

Everyone in the hotel room laughed at him as he walked out.

GG.

This is too good, really shows how important zero lag is in a combat game. xD

That said, I wonder how many people are basing these lists off of online/wifi play? *Ponders*

It would have a drastic effect on placings, no doubt.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
kiwi: wario isn'r slow, which you seem to think. He also has great approaches due to bike (wheelie), and his great mobility. His f-air>razor leaf, and he can approach with it.
No, I don't think he's slow, but his attacks come with the price of high windup and finishing lag. He gets kudos for his crazy bike, his recovery, and his unpredictable movement. I'll have to admit that Wario is looking better every day with some players, so I guess I stand corrected on the Wario part.

I agree with you, wario can outmaneuver him, peach can peach bomber the crap out of him, and Jiggs has an easy setup for rest and/or recovery gimping(pound launching him before he can tether).:laugh: yeah IVsaur sucks he has his place though as he gives a fair fight to Yoshi.
EDIT: left this running for a while and when I came back I finished it, sorry if it no longer pertains to the discussion!
Peach is worse than Ivysaur. She is outranged constantly, her recovery keeps her totally open to attack (an Ivy fair), and she really can't do much about projectiles except throw a turnip, which everyone can catch anyway. At least Ivysaur can cancel most projectiles with her jab.

Jiggz, seriously? If an Ivysaur is using f-smash or fair, there is absolutely nothing Jiggz can do to outrange it. As for the recovery gimping, Ivysaur just uses one razor leaf early, causing Jiggz to cancel it with pound early, allowing Ivy to tether safely. Rest got nerfed pretty badly, sorry to say. I used to like Jiggz, but this is not Melee's Jigglypuff, please deal with it.

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
No, I don't think he's slow, but his attacks come with the price of high windup and finishing lag. He gets kudos for his crazy bike, his recovery, and his unpredictable movement. I'll have to admit that Wario is looking better every day with some players, so I guess I stand corrected on the Wario part.

Peach is worse than Ivysaur. She is outranged constantly, her recovery keeps her totally open to attack (an Ivy fair), and she really can't do much about projectiles except throw a turnip, which everyone can catch anyway. At least Ivysaur can cancel most projectiles with her jab.

Jiggz, seriously? If an Ivysaur is using f-smash or fair, there is absolutely nothing Jiggz can do to outrange it. As for the recovery gimping, Ivysaur just uses one razor leaf early, causing Jiggz to cancel it with pound early, allowing Ivy to tether safely. Rest got nerfed pretty badly, sorry to say. I used to like Jiggz, but this is not Melee's Jigglypuff, please deal with it.
WOW, Jiggs can't get past much, but saying that it has absolutely NO ways to deal with f-smash from an IVsaur is wrong! Rest may have gotten nerfed but it is still more killpower than an IVsaur would ever even think of, not only that but if you are fighting for your life and Jiggly has 3 more jumps than you do you think that razor leaf is going to save you? Even using a sing(when in range) would KO you! IVsaur uses razor leaf and Jiggly aerial dodges the first hit followed up by his move of choice.:urg: these tactics you're posting make me sick.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
WOW, Jiggs can't get past much, but saying that it has absolutely NO ways to deal with f-smash from an IVsaur is wrong! Rest may have gotten nerfed but it is still more killpower than an IVsaur would ever even think of, not only that but if you are fighting for your life and Jiggly has 3 more jumps than you do you think that razor leaf is going to save you? Even using a sing(when in range) would KO you! IVsaur uses razor leaf and Jiggly aerial dodges the first hit followed up by his move of choice.:urg: these tactics you're posting make me sick.
Ok, so explain why what I said is wrong instead of just saying it's not right. How does Jiggz deal with a sh'd fair? Go from above? We all know that means bullet seed or u-smash.
Don't even try comparing Jiggz' killpower to Ivy's. All Jiggz can kill with is WOP, Rest, and at high percentages, f-smash. Ivy can kill with fair, dair, uair, f-smash and u-smash. And when Jiggz is edgeguarding Ivysaur it's not about stopping Jiggz forever, it's about getting her away long enough to tether the edge. And since when does sing kill in midair bud? Learn to describe situations that are actually physically possible.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I think the best evidence against yoshi is this:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954
Zelda has the same score as Yoshi in that thread.

Zelda for bottom tier?
I hardly see how having a different control scheme can possibly make any character worse or better then they already are.
Ike plays really well online because when it's laggy and dodging isn't as effective his super powerful but slow attacks work extremely well. A similar effect can be reproduced by giving people unfamiliar controls, their movements/dodging are going to be much worse than usual (As well as their reaction times) and a character that can just swing away with no finesse needed to get kills is going to do better than they deserve to based on actual character ability.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I hardly see how having a different control scheme can possibly make any character worse or better then they already are.
If you use the Wii mote, you won't have a C-Stick. the C-Stick is essential for anyone trying to preform aerials with anyone. Otherwise, you HAVE to move in the direction you are attacking. If you use a wiimote and Nunchuk you still won't have the C-Stick. (You may also say B-Stick if that's your thing).

Also, if you use any set-up with a Wiimote attached, you run the risk of having Batteries die on you during a match. I don't want that to happen to me OR my opponent, because it would pause the game in the middle of the match.

The Gamecube or Classic set-up is the best. Fact

bobjamesbob

Smash Rookie
My opinion

Top tier
Snake

High High
ROB

Low High
Marth

High Mid
Toon Link
G&W

Everyone else i don't know enough about or care enough to place them

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@Adam. STFU. It's obvious how playing something with controls you aren't used to will mess you up. If you can't play like you would with a normal controller, and make mistakes, it means you aren't playing to the characters potential...Also, his point was that it was an early one, when most people played like ****

@1HKO: You're over-estimating jiggz. Even if jigz "can deal" (which you never explained), it's still obviously an uphill battle (as YOUR OWN WORDING suggested). So chill.

So IVysaur>ganon, fallcon, jiggz,sonic, peach? Still low tier/top of bottom >_>

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
OK... kiwikomix please cool off a little. I have no intention to start a flamewar 'k I want to make that clear. sorry bout the mistype(misthink) 'twas thinking one word and another one popped onto my post, I meant rollout. Jiggs can kill in the methods you mentioned but a rollout(uncharged sweet spotted or fully charged) can kill also, not to mention at extremely high percents pound will kill them over the top. Do you know that nothing in Brawl is physically possible due to the nature of it being virtual? Roll and abuse the ending lag is what I say to IVsaurs sh'ed fair my personal fav way to do that is roll>fsmash.
@stviers I agree with you totally but this guy is claiming that IVsaur will always dominate jiggs! NOT TRUE

D

Deleted member

razor leaf is better than those stupid eggs. ivysaur isn't the one who needs to approach here. advantage ivysaur.

and since yoshi is so crappy in the air, that's another advantage for ivysaur, what with having bullet seed / vine whip / better aerials.

ivysaur has more range on the ground, too. yoshi is ****ed in this matchup.
Yoshi's nair is better than ivysaurs, his bair is differant, better(sets up for so much stuff, amazing approach, 15 damage if they all hit which is very common), dair is arguable (yoshis can rack up over 20 damage quickly, ivysaurs..i have no clue, uair is better, i guess its arguable but i dunno(can actually combo, lots of range and kill power and doesnt shoot u down).
I honestly dont see how ivysaur has the advantage. U razor leaf, cool i bair through it and my bair hits u and sets u up for an ftilt which leads to all sorts of goodness. Even if i do have to approach, yoshi can do it easily thanks to yoshis bair. I dont see what ivysaur can do, ive played a few pretty good pts, yoshi has the advantage.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
If you use the Wii mote, you won't have a C-Stick. the C-Stick is essential for anyone trying to preform aerials with anyone. Otherwise, you HAVE to move in the direction you are attacking. If you use a wiimote and Nunchuk you still won't have the C-Stick. (You may also say B-Stick if that's your thing).

Also, if you use any set-up with a Wiimote attached, you run the risk of having Batteries die on you during a match. I don't want that to happen to me OR my opponent, because it would pause the game in the middle of the match.

The Gamecube or Classic set-up is the best. Fact
Well... the D-pad can be used as a C-stick, to preform aerials and smashes. Because you can set the pad up to jump, move and do the aerial with three different fingers effortlessly... heck the Wiimote/Nunchuck set up seems pretty good.

FACT.

The only issue I have with the Wiimore/Nunchuck setup is batteries...

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
My opinion

Top tier
Snake

High High
ROB

Low High
Marth

High Mid
Toon Link
G&W

Everyone else i don't know enough about or care enough to place them

vary well thought out it seems you did lots of research and planning to come to this conclusion.

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's nair is better than ivysaurs, his bair is differant, better(sets up for so much stuff, amazing approach, 15 damage if they all hit which is very common), dair is arguable (yoshis can rack up over 20 damage quickly, ivysaurs..i have no clue, uair is better, i guess its arguable but i dunno(can actually combo, lots of range and kill power and doesnt shoot u down).
I honestly dont see how ivysaur has the advantage. U razor leaf, cool i bair through it and my bair hits u and sets u up for an ftilt which leads to all sorts of goodness. Even if i do have to approach, yoshi can do it easily thanks to yoshis bair. I dont see what ivysaur can do, ive played a few pretty good pts, yoshi has the advantage.
you're acting like yoshi's bair is a free ticket to win town. i've played yoshis before, and they all spammed sh bair, and they all lost. telling me that sh bair is your answer to everything is setting yourself up to lose.

good luck getting into ivysaur's range btw. have fun bairing all over the place while i vine whip and spot dodge into bullet seed.

EDIT: or hell, i could even do a sh bair of my own. it's not like you can touch me.

Loyal2NES

Smash Rookie
Besides the C-stick argument presented, there's also the fact that the Gamecube controller simply has 7+ years on any of the other control schemes, and thus has familiarity going for it. It is also by far the most intuitive and easy to grasp - Not only is everything placed so that you don't have to move any of your fingers more than a centimeter at a time (barring C-stick usage), but everything is also conveniently sized.

The Nunchuck is a bit weird to work with, though viable with some tweaking and practice (Melee veterans, I imagine, would probably find it too troublesome to work with when they already have the aforementioned 7 years of GC controls). One shoulder button is for shielding, and the one right next to it is for jumping? I mean you COULD use two fingers back there and solve that problem, but it really just feels like using both feet to work the gas and brake pedals of a car.

I have no experience with Classic controllers, but they do have the problem of batteries.

The Sideways Wiimote is a joke. The game is utterly unplayable on a competitive (or even intermediate, really) level while using that. Double-tapping the directional pad for running or falling through platforms,and really awkward positioning of the Shield button (I for one cannot set my fingers in a way that allows easy access to the button without also risking accidental pushing of it) is ... bad.

IVsaur uses razor leaf and Jiggly aerial dodges the first hit followed up by his move of choice. these tactics you're posting make me sick.
I'm sorry, but anyone who uses Razor Leaf at a range that could be described as "punishable by Jiggly Counterattack" deserves whatever he gets. I don't have much experience with Ivysaur, but I'm reasonably confident enough in his range and priority that he can deal with a medium-range Jiggs without resorting to a laggy projectile.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i still dont understand why you guys are bothering arguing a match that will never happen outside of you guys getting together, or at a low tier tournament. the first thing isnt gonna happen cause if it was, it would have happened already. and the second is possible, but very, very unlikely. so this entire convo is basically moot

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
i still dont understand why you guys are bothering arguing a match that will never happen outside of you guys getting together, or at a low tier tournament. the first thing isnt gonna happen cause if it was, it would have happened already. and the second is possible, but very, very unlikely. so this entire convo is basically moot
It's called Wi-Fi kid. Live a little.

Triforce_Chauzu

Smash Apprentice
At least Peach counters Ivysaur... By own experience eitherway. And worse than Ivysaur? Dunno about that - you take her recovering as an example but c'mon, it ain't that bad - you can recover in several different matters and the floating allows you to attack rather comfortably if it's needed. Ivysaur's recovery is uncomparable to that imo.

Vash_15

Smash Journeyman
Peach is definitely better than Ivysaur imo. Her forward air is amazing her forward smash has 2-3 different variables, her side-b can be confusing, and her upB while recovering can avoid other attacks easily by constantly pressing down up down up to cancel and uncancel, while if she had a spike (I think she does) her floating would definitely give her THE ultimate edge out of any spike/meteor smash

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well... the D-pad can be used as a C-stick, to preform aerials and smashes. Because you can set the pad up to jump, move and do the aerial with three different fingers effortlessly... heck the Wiimote/Nunchuck set up seems pretty good.

FACT.
Uh... no. If you pressed forward and backward on the D-Pad at the same time, you would break it. You can't do an aerial on the D-pad without DIing, even a little, in that direction. That is why the C-Stick + Control Stick is superior.

Fact

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
Peach is definitely better than Ivysaur imo. Her forward air is amazing her forward smash has 2-3 different variables, her side-b can be confusing, and her upB while recovering can avoid other attacks easily by constantly pressing down up down up to cancel and uncancel, while if she had a spike (I think she does) her floating would definitely give her THE ultimate edge out of any spike/meteor smash
peach's fair has nothing in ivysaur's aerials. you couldn't even reach me.

fsmash, like everything else peach has, couldn't touch ivysaur. say hello to jab. or hell, even ivysaur's fsmash would wreck yours.

vine whip bones you in the air. that lame **** all peach players do about floating in and out like it's prom night all over again is completely ineffective when ivysaur has that vine whip.

peach bomber is laggy. dodge and bullet seed.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Uh... no. If you pressed forward and backward on the D-Pad at the same time, you would break it. You can't do an aerial on the D-pad without DIing, even a little, in that direction. That is why the C-Stick + Control Stick is superior.

Fact

Wait, the D-pad on the Wiimote makes you DI? I haven't noticed that at all while I've been doing my retreating F-airs with Ike. All I see is my LEFT thumb pressing away from opponent (to DI backwards), my RIGHT thumb pressing towards my opponent (to Fair) and my LEFT INDEX finger hitting C, to jump. Thats 3 separate fingers pressing 3 separate controls. It equals a perfectly done retreating F-air, as far as I can tell. If the D-pad IS giving any DI, its so negligible I can't even notice it.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
that's useful.

i'm not arguing for ivysaur to be in the top tier. i'm arguing that ivysaur would be mid tier if we count it as a separate character (and you know i don't.)
Well, considering that the three Pokemon have different portraits, movesets, and even win poses, I'd say comparing them to Zelda/Sheik isn't a bad idea. And by your logic, Zelda and Sheik are the same character.
Zeldeik?
But yeah, most tier lists separate them, and place Ivysaur in the low or bottom tier for a reason. Sure, she has range, but her priority is shot. That's also, to a lesser extent, Captain Falcon's problem.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Well, considering that the three Pokemon have different portraits, movesets, and even win poses, I'd say comparing them to Zelda/Sheik isn't a bad idea. And by your logic, Zelda and Sheik are the same character.
Zeldeik?
When you die as Zelda, you don't come back as Shiek. If you play Zelda for 2 minutes, she doesn't lose effectiveness until you stop playing as her for a while.

PT has a more enforced swap, and the characters on the whole seem slightly less complete (To me) on their own than Zelda or Shiek.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
When you die as Zelda, you don't come back as Shiek. If you play Zelda for 2 minutes, she doesn't lose effectiveness until you stop playing as her for a while.

PT has a more enforced swap, and the characters on the whole seem slightly less complete on their own (To me) than Zelda or Shiek.
True. But that doesn't seem to stop people from winning matches using exclusively Squirtle or Charizard. I view the three Pokemon as separate fighters in the same fashion that I view the three parts of a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 team as separate characters. They can be played as stand-alone fighters, but...why would you?

salaboB

Smash Champion
True. But that doesn't seem to stop people from winning matches using exclusively Squirtle or Charizard. I view the three Pokemon as separate fighters in the same fashion that I view the three parts of a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 team as separate characters. They can be played as stand-alone fighters, but...why would you?
What I would do would be to have how each stands by itself, but a combined PT to place how they fare if the player is switching to match the opponent/damage %'s. Since that should be more successful than any of them alone, I would expect it to be of interest to someone considering maining PT to know how much of a benefit being able to utilize all three had over just specializing in one.

Similarily for Zelda/Shiek, given that they have entirely different matchups and strengths/weaknesses, if anyone could gather information from tournament results on players that utilized their switch to react to the opponent that should result in a higher tier placement for the combo than either of them alone (Even if it is just a higher spot in the same tier)

Samus/Zamus would be related but trickier, as the transformation only goes one way.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I wouldn't go for Power Suit/Zero Suit as one character. Zelda/Sheik maybe. Perhaps Zelda, Sheik, and Zelda/Sheik could be rated as three separate fighters, similar to Melty Blood which has Kohaku, Hisui, and Kohaku/Hisui.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I wouldn't go for Power Suit/Zero Suit as one character. Zelda/Sheik maybe. Perhaps Zelda, Sheik, and Zelda/Sheik could be rated as three separate fighters, similar to Melty Blood which has Kohaku, Hisui, and Kohaku/Hisui.
That's what I was thinking, a way to indicate where they place if someone is able to utilize the mid-game switch to gain the advantages of each while minimizing their disadvantages. I would say it's a more important thing for PT because of the enforced switching than it is for Zelda/Shiek, but could still be useful there.

The Samus one is mostly something that I don't think should be entirely ignored but I'm not sure how to take it into account for tier purposes. Basically, it means if someone is good with Samus and Zamus they can start as Samus and if they find themselves in a bad matchup just switch to Zamus and presumably do better (Or at least, no worse) which should impact overall effectiveness. I guess if it shows up anywhere it should raise Samus' position in the tier list slightly, since you must start as her to benefit from this.

BibulousDan

Smash Apprentice
Ivysuar isn't BAD, he's not as good as the other 2 guys but his U Smash is great and probably one of the best in the game. His f-tilt is okay and he does have some good aerials. some. also, whenever I us PT, i only use Ivy to quickly KO my opponents with a dash U smash.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

Fact
uhhh... no.
i think you, as well as many other ppl are completely disregarding the effectiveness of shake smashing, which is just as good as c-sticking in every conceivable way. and with a little tinkering, since you are able to customise your controler. i have mine set in such a way that such manuvers as DIing back and f-airing and hyphen smashing are just about effortless, so IMHO, nunchuk slightly> GC controler.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
uhhh... no.
i think you, as well as many other ppl are completely disregarding the effectiveness of shake smashing, which is just as good as c-sticking in every conceivable way. and with a little tinkering, since you are able to customise your controler. i have mine set in such a way that such manuvers as DIing back and f-airing and hyphen smashing are just about effortless, so IMHO, nunchuk slightly> GC controler.
Except said manuvers are also very easy using the C-stick, while at the same time you have more buttons to customize as you like. The c-stick also allows you to do angled smashes more easily (for those that apply).

GC controller is still winning.

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
Zeldeik?
But yeah, most tier lists separate them, and place Ivysaur in the low or bottom tier for a reason. Sure, she has range, but her priority is shot. That's also, to a lesser extent, Captain Falcon's problem.
wow. strawmen and just plain poor arguments make for a good debate these days i guess. win poses? that's your argument?

zelda and sheik are a completely different situation. do you even play as the pokemon trainer? honestly. do you know what the fatigue system is? do you know how it works? do you know how it affects your character? i ask, because i very much doubt that you know the answers to those questions off the top of your head.

"most tier lists" do not "place ivysaur in low or bottom tier." you have absolutely no idea if that's true or not and you have no way to even gather that kind of data. besides that, i've seen many tier lists place ike in the top tier. are we going with a majority vote on this one? do you really think that's a good decision?

i agree ivysaur has some priority issues. that's what makes it DECENT and not HORRIBLE. ivysaur has enough range on most attacks to rival everyone but ike (and easily beat out anyone who can't do the same). in addition, ivysaur has completely ridiculous power considering it's other capabilities; up air, dair, fair, up b, upsmash, and fsmash are ALL kill moves and most of them (i.e., not upsmash) are fairly quick. ivysaur isn't slow enough to be punished much more easily than many of the higher ranked characters. in short, ivysaur has low priority on some moves, little ability to combo, and a somewhat gimpable recovery. other than that, ivysaur's golden. great power, great range, decent speed. ivysaur is fine. NOT AMAZING. JUST... FINE.

S P I K E

Smash Ace
You know what's hilarious??? Almost none of you have any say on what the tier list will actually be. Smash BR ftw plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom