• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

.:: Official Brawl Info Thread ::. (Mod's Close)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
WOW none saw this one. I wonder that means like having 3 new characters in one bundle pack. With there own movesets and A moves. Sakurai also said something bad about leaving the pokemon out for to long. What will happen if you do?

Ivysaur is our first 4 legged character!

ssx3master1

Smash Cadet
I thought Fire Blast was the strongest Fire-Type move in Red and Blue? I ALSO thought that in the Blue version, you could choose the name 'Blue,' not just 'Red' for both of them.
It is Fire Blast. I corrected myself in my post. And it does give you the option to choose Blue, but officially, the character's name is still Red.
:psycho:

Sandy

Smash Champion
pokemon trainer?!?! as much as i hate pokemon, this is kinda cool. who ever decides to use the pokemon trainer is going to have a lot of homework to do. THREE POKEMON!!! i thought mastering Zelda/Sheik was hard but mastering Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard!! holy ****ing moses!

and another question, why is Charizard the only cool looking one? like he's the badass of the three while the other two are like the little kids that follow him around to do his bidding. i think it would be way more awesome if it was Blastoise/Venasaur/Charizard. now there is a battle.

but hey, a new character, no matter how lame, is still pretty awesome.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Imagine throwing a pokeball and getting Charizard while fighting charizard... @.@ what?

Playing as Squirtle will be freakin awesome. I'm glad Sakurai made a water Pokemon playable.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I'm curious to see this character on the Animal Crossing stage... Does he push people out of his way or stay in one place, perhaps sitting down and chilling?

SSBMasterFox

Smash Ace
I live in a little place called Strawberry, Arkans
It is Fire Blast. I corrected myself in my post. And it does give you the option to choose Blue, but officially, the character's name is still Red.
:psycho:
Oh, didn't notice you corrected yourself. My bad.

I always preferred the Red version over the Blue version, (don't know why....), but when did Red officially become his name? I'm not being a smart alec, I believe you!! I'm just curious.

M.K

Level 55
He ISN'T Ash, though. That pisses me off, it's NOT ASH DAMMIT. Ash may be one of the default names, but so is Red, John, Bill, etc.!

Ash is a character only associated with the Anime and Pokemon Yellow. Red is from FireRed!

Yeah, and this update is delicious

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I'm curious to see this character on the Animal Crossing stage... Does he push people out of his way or stay in one place, perhaps sitting down and chilling?
it would be pretty cool if he was actually part of the background and mingled with everything.

but this has been brought up before, bit it's a big question. on moving stages like castle seige and rumble falls, what does he do? does he climb up rumble falls, does he jump and fall with the pokemon?

Tromboy

Smash Cadet
When did Red officially become his name? I'm not being a smart alec, I believe you!! I'm just curious.
I think it "officially" became his name in Gold/Silver version when you meet the trainer from Red/Blue in Mt. Silver and he is named Red.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I think it "officially" became his name in Gold/Silver version when you meet the trainer from Red/Blue in Mt. Silver and he is named Red.
Truth. The rival from Red/Blue is also named Blue in G/S.

I've been speculating with a friend that the trainer may ride a Pidgeot around on moving stages.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
He ISN'T Ash, though. That pisses me off, it's NOT ASH DAMMIT. Ash may be one of the default names, but so is Red, John, Bill, etc.!

Ash is a character only associated with the Anime and Pokemon Yellow. Red is from FireRed!

Yeah, and this update is delicious
QFT.I wish it was original Ash.

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
"WTF? WTF? WTF? Are you ****ing serious?! A ****ing Poke'mon trainer in Brawl?! Are you ****ting me?"

^^My thoughts when I first saw the profile. Honestly, I would have NEVER saw this coming, because this was was totally unexpected. Sakurai is great at playing with people's minds though, so I have to give him credit.

I imagine the Samurai Goroh/Deoxys fans must feel like they got slapped in the face. =P

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Ok this stuff is officially weirding me out. What kind of costume design people do they have working on this project? The same guys who had YATTA nakedness? Boooo!! The screen rotation is new at least.

Pokemon trainer is still so generic it hurts. Iconic characters are what you expect, and he is... kinda... but not even having a name is just... :( I'm also disappointed its not charizard venusaur and blastoise, but I guess they didnt want all 3 pokemon to be slow and heavy. Squirtle is fast and light, bulbasaur is medium and charizard is the captain falcon pokemon. Still :'( though.

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
Today's update is intriguing, and it brings to mind some new strategies for casual play. After all, am I the only one who saw this update and thought "Hmm, if I use a character with a move that can stun or immobilise characters temporarily, I can use this guy to set up a free kill!"? Plus, he's from an obscure game, and it's always nice to see classic and obscure characters make a second appearance...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
People living in America, you can forget about using this assist trophy. It's totally going to be removed...
lol, was that a joke?

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be removed. Why would they update the US site, then? Why would Sakurai even bother to make this an update? (I have Tamagon on my Melee trophies anyway...I think he was only removed from the PAL version.)

ssx3master1

Smash Cadet
Ok this stuff is officially weirding me out. What kind of costume design people do they have working on this project? The same guys who had YATTA nakedness? Boooo!! The screen rotation is new at least.
What? I guess your talking about Devil here.

Pokemon trainer is still so generic it hurts. Iconic characters are what you expect, and he is... kinda... but not even having a name is just... :(
They didn't just make Pokemon Trainer. His chacter model is an exact match of the character Red from Pokemon Red and Blue (I linked to the wiki on the previous page). They just didnt call him Red. No idea why.

Pokemon trainer not good enough for ya???? huh???? HUH????

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
mabye the didnt call him red because people who dont play pokemon or know nothing about pokemon would be confused why his names red. while pokemon trainer makes more sense to them.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i think it's because you had the opportunity to name your pokemon trainer whatever you wanted.

i mean say for example a Mii is a playable character. you have millions of names for a Mii, but it would be called Mii, cause that's what it is. same concept for the pokemon trainer

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
If a Mii becomes playable, I will strangle somebody.
To officially put and end to all this ash nonsense, kindly go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_(Pokémon)

The trainer in Brawl is an exact match. It is Red not Ash or anyone else. I have no idea why hes called "Pokemon Trainer"
After reading that link, we might as well just refer to him as Red. At least that's what I'm calling him from now on.

jb254

Smash Apprentice
If a Mii becomes playable, I will strangle somebody.

After reading that link, we might as well just refer to him as Red. At least that's what I'm calling him from now on.
I still think the correct name to call him right now would be Ash. First, because we can't ignore the fact that the pokemon in the Smash series so far have been based on the anime (the anime voice actors providing the voices of the various pokemon, instead of using the 8-bit sound effects, for example). Secondly, Ash better represents the pokemon franchise. And last, Ash was an alternative name for Red anyway.

And those are my two cents.

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
i think it's because you had the opportunity to name your pokemon trainer whatever you wanted.

i mean say for example a Mii is a playable character. you have millions of names for a Mii, but it would be called Mii, cause that's what it is. same concept for the pokemon trainer
I AGREE ENTIRELY AND COMPLETELY
Red is a nice name but ultimately this makes just a wee.... Wii bit more sense...

ssx3master1

Smash Cadet
I still think the correct name to call him right now would be Ash. First, because we can't ignore the fact that the pokemon in the Smash series so far have been based on the anime (the anime voice actors providing the voices of the various pokemon, instead of using the 8-bit sound effects, for example). Secondly, Ash better represents the pokemon franchise. And last, Ash was an alternative name for Red anyway.

And those are my two cents.
First of all, this is not Ash. Ash is a completly different character from this Pokemon Trainer. This is solid fact. You only need to compare the two to see this.

Secondly, about the Pokemon being based on the anime, I agree very much, until now. I felt that the Pikachus in Smash64 and Melee were THE pikachu from the anime. However, when I first saw Pikachu as he appears in Brawl, the first thing I thought was, this looks less like THE pikachu and more like A pikachu. But that's just IMO.

In conclusion, I'm calling him Red.

Edit for grammar.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
Guys your thinking about this way too hard, his name isn't Red, or Ash, his name is "Pokémon Trainer". I'm not saying I mind yous calling him what ever, but i'm just saying the fact is his name is "Pokémon Trainer". It says it on the site.

ssx3master1

Smash Cadet
Guys your thinking about this way too hard, his name isn't Red, or Ash, his name is "Pokémon Trainer". I'm not saying I mind yous calling him what ever, but i'm just saying the fact is his name is "Pokémon Trainer". It says it on the site.
Generally, I would agree with this logic; however, since this character is a carbon copy of Red, and also since Red is much less cumbersome to say than Pokemon Trainer, Red is my name of choice.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
Generally, I would agree with this logic; however, since this character is a carbon copy of Red, and also since Red is much less cumbersome to say than Pokemon Trainer, Red is my name of choice.
That's ok, even I will think of a good name to call him. But we all know that his real name in Ssbb is "Pokémon Trainer".

e.g. If i'm talking to my friends and him, I would call him a name of my own. But if a guy who hasn't played smash wanted to know the name of him, I would say Pokemon Trainer.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
Why do you think that they chose the Pokémon Trainer to look like Red. Why not Ash, Ash is well known. So why not Ash?

Spazznid

Smash Cadet
That's probably the main costume and it was probably chosen because that was a well known look for the default trainer.

maybe...

Star105

Smash Journeyman
mmmm................ did anyone notice that this month seems to have some of the really big month for updates?

anyway nice update it looks awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom