• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I guess GnW suffers from the problem of 'I know he's gonna wanna get in those smashes, i'll just play campy and mid/long range all day...'

That's just an example. I just mean, his playstyle is very obvious I guess and can be pretty easily predictable.

That said I still find him annoying as heck to deal with. ><

Peachy-Desu

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I understand hes saying it couldve been given a chance, but like you just said, Mewtwo has around 15 viable sets in OU. Take a Poke with higher base stats than every other OU, a Poke with over a dozen options, and a Poke that can literally run a set on almost every position on a team, and its blatantly obvious that OU would revolve all around countering Mewtwo. While its true, you can counter Mewtwo, Mewtwo is WAY harder to counter than any OU due to his plethora of options. So while Mewtwo could in fact be beat in OU, the meta game would be waaaay too focused on Mewtwo to make it a logical choice. So yes, while it IS an opinion, its a flawed opinion.
This sounds familiar... why is MK legal again?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Because MK cant even win Apex.
Your logic is bad and you should feel bad.

By that logic, Parasect > most of Ubers

I mean hey, Theorymon used to dominate with him

If the meta revolves around something to a point people claim that the tier list should revolve around that and ONLY that matchup, AND have a very real argument... There might just be a problem. It's like DP Garchomp - and yes, i was pro-ban.

Oh or everyone's favourite memories, the day Manaphy was allowed in OU for a week. THAT went well.
Or DPP Skymin :D
Do you remember Skymin?
I remember Skymin.
Skymin was the MK of the meta just after Platinum came out.
If you did not have AT LEAST 2 hard counters to it and made sure that you could save one as late as possible, you lost.
Pretty much automatically.
Keep in mind I played primarily hail stall during all of Gen 4 and i still believed all of those should have been banned.
Because y'know what? I had a team comp that logically should have hard countered Skymin to hell and back and it could STILL be effortless ripped through by it with one small misprediction. 120 base power STAB move with 80% chance of sharply lowering Special Defense and a STAB 60% flinch chance move with life orb and the ability to heal itslef... no there was nothing wrong with this. It did not cause the entire metagame to revolve around it AT ALL.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Yeah I think it's almost a given that ZSS and possibly Marth (honestly not sure with him) will rise, ICs might rise but tournament success has been kinda eh lately so I dunno.

But in answer to your question, yes they are working on a tier list v8, just not before they do a MU chart v3 which is currently being worked on now.
Thanks I appreciate the response.

Hearing that a MU Chart v3 is in the works is icing on the cake, great news.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
DMG, I understand and accept / respect your points. We have different points of view on this matter. You think the fact that Mewtwo can run 15 different sets means he is too strong for OU. I think the fact that almost every role can be played better by another Pokemon means that he is potentially acceptable. Maybe you're right, maybe not. There is probably no right or wrong here but most people would agree with you anyway. I think even if every team had a Mewtwo, that alone wouldn't mean that it has to be banned. A lot of people will disagree though.

But to conclude to thing with Jirachi: Jirachi has a couple of practical advantages over Mewtwo. The most important is that it has better defensive type coverage which gives better opportunites to switch it in, especially against physical attacks. In a metagame that favors physical sweepers that's worth something. Despite Jirachi being a special sweeper there is actually no special tank that counters it. Its strongest standard-counters are actually physical tanks [Claydol, Steelix] and a Choice-Band sweeper [Dugtrio] and it completely counters the standard tank line-up of SkarmBliss + Water Tank [usually Suicune] that most teams ran in those days. I definitely think that Jirachi had a profound impact on the metagame that improved the game for the better [although a lot of people felt that Jirachi shouldn't have been lega]l. I think Mewtwo could have potentially been the same because it would have broken the omnipresence of Tyranitar + Zapdos/Jirachi sweeper line-up. Too much for the good of the metagame? I'm not convinced.

People who think I "lost" this argument are silly, especially since they probably don't even understand the 386 metagame well enough to comment.

Jebus, you're right that Shedinja can mess up some uber teams. Keep in mind though, that even in uber teams Tyranitar wasn't a Pokemon you'd necessarily skip over. You'd definitely consider it a possible pick for your team. But it can definitely counter a lot of Mewtwo sets in the uber metagame. Funny how a crap Pokemon like Sheddy can become viable in a much tougher setting.

Shaya, we cool.

:059:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
damn

i'm kicking myself for missing the Pokemon talk

**** mewtwo, he's a tool anyway. we should talk about adding mew to the ADV OU metagame. i've talked to some ADV players, and while most of them scoff at the idea of testing mew (its impossible to kill) some of them are actually interested in giving it a shot. though i think those are just words, i don't think mew will ever get a test, since nobody wants to change the way ADV is played.

but still mew in ADV OU... a man can dream ♪

Skymin was the MK of the meta just after Platinum came out.
We tested Skymin in BW. It got a unanimous (100%) ban, everyone hated that. Playing against it was a practice in futility. If MK is even half as good as Skymin was... I feel bad for you guys, I really do :(

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
He is comparing a game that has 500+ Pokemon to a game that only has 37 characters. Think about it

:phone:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
In the current topic i would guess that theres only really about 60-70 characters that matter, with about 10-15 getting added in each gen. Thats a rough estimate tho

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Comparing pokemon's tier system to brawl is stupid anyway. Their battle styles are completely different.

Also how do you define tournament viable Jebus? :happysheep:

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
60 out of 389 pokemon. 60 is probably an overestimation too. OU only has 30 in R/S and there are probably only like...10-15 pokemon in the other tiers that are relevant. :happysheep:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
60 out of 389 pokemon. 60 is probably an overestimation too. OU only has 30 in R/S and there are probably only like...10-15 pokemon in the other tiers that are relevant. :happysheep:
It's more if you count BL. And its more like 7 for brawl if you only count characters that have won nationals

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Wouldn't we end up excluding a good amount of BL/OU if we counted only pokemon that won nationals though? I would think it would still end up being a lower number percentage wise than brawl.

I'd love to argue this further by my knowledge of R/S is very limited when it comes to usage percentages and W/L stuff. :happysheep:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Yeah, but 60 out of how many?

9/37 is pretty good, lol.
Is it really? In comparison to other games like SSF4 and UMvC3 that's kind of kind of weak...

Didn't melee have way more viable characters? (not trying to dump on brawl btw, 9 out of 37 seems awfully small)

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Melee has like 7-12 characters that are tourney viable. Brawl probably has a bit more than 9 that are viable. Regardless, melee has more characters viable when you consider that it has less characters. :happysheep:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Melee also overall had a better environment for High/Mid/Low tier characters to make a comeback, even despite some of Sheik's MU's vs them.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
What does "viable" mean in melee?

Fox, Falco, Sheik, Puff, Peach, and probably Marth and CF are "viable" in the same way Brawl's 9 characters are "viable." >_>

I don't pay much attention to the melee scene but I do check to see who wins big tournaments and the selection of characters that can do it in Melee seems a little smaller, not bigger, and certainly doesn't contain twelve characters.

Plus, a lot of top melee players use more than one character to cover bad match-ups or match-ups they don't like. Single-character heroes seem a little less common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom