• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

allshort17

Smash Ace
I actually like the jab locks, non-infinite CG's, edgeslip mechanics, and things like that. They may not be the hardest to perform, but they are hard as heck to set up (for the most part) which adds to a different type of depth that Brawl has: Situational depth. They reward either knowing the game or having very quick reflexes, which I see to be healthy for competition. Also, they give the few true combos to a game with a lack of.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
@Jrugs: That's a different story, and that's probably because of the greater imbalance MK lends to the competitive scene. Like, without MK, Brawl is much more balanced than Melee straight-up. Unfortunately, with MK, Brawl is more imbalanced. I mean, look at the top 32 of each game at Apex 2013. :ohwell:

Of course, this is why everyone should just get into Project M. :awesome:
ok.... and now, I'll cry....

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Rco lag punishes a character for recovering and that's pretty lame. The frames for ground teching are also pretty terrible.
RCO is just a character flaw that applies to multiple characters and it isn't even really a big deal (I never really see it affect high/top level matches).
Define terrible. Too easy?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I've seen it affect Marth players vs MK (RCO lag), because it limits the **** out of how you can be safe if you're guaranteed to be lagging.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Random tripping is random and random anything is bad for truly competitive play, IMO.

Also, our game is bad because we implement rules to restrict chars or certain playstyles. If our game was so good, it would be fine naked as the day it was born without all these rules to suffocate it. MK was banned for a time. We implement a LGL unfairly to other chars to justify the extreme LGL we have on MK. With a liberal stagelist, MK destroys the metagame. With a conservative one, the ICs do it instead. There are also a whole bunch of tourneys that ban infinites (and/or MK still).

Life

Smash Hero
Random tripping is random and random anything is bad for truly competitive play, IMO.

Dealing with randomness is a form of skill. Everything in moderation, of course--if the command for walking looked like the command for DACUS that would be excessive techskill, and there's a reason they don't play Lightning Melee or Lightning Brawl--it's just historically been done poorly in Smash and in competitive games in general that aren't card games, so this attitude of "random=bad" appeared as a counteraction. Randomness can be made to work--it just rarely is. Tripping is badly done randomness. Warioware is badly done randomness. I usually hold up Norfair as an example of well-done randomness but people quibble with me on that (objections result from Brawl ledge mechanics and the geysers being very slightly OP). The Pokemon Stadiums are well done (except that the transformations lend themselves to stalling), SV technically counts but its randomness is so subtle that nobody cares... so many near-examples in Brawl, like Sakurai and co are close to figuring out how to do it properly.

Also, "I got sick before APEX, therefore I lost to randomness."

My point is that randomness, in the abstract, is not necessarily anathema to Smash--it is just almost never implemented properly. (Doesn't extend to most other games easily--SF would be terrible with randomness--just talking Smash here.)

....hey guys, I heard something about a tier list?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
RCO is just a character flaw that applies to multiple characters and it isn't even really a big deal (I never really see it affect high/top level matches).
No, RCO is a HUGE deal for most characters that have it, its just that there just happens not to be any top tiers with this problem, hence why you dont see it as a problem often.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
RCO with :wolf: keeps him from landing vs :metaknight: because he can't just land without inputting an aerial or he'll lag and be punished anyway.

:018:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Same goes for Mario and Luigi, two characters I personally use. Its almost impossible to get off the ledge against MK, and dont get me started on actually getting TO the ledge.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Sakurai was going for simplicity with Sonic's moveset, as a means of relating to the way the Sonic games played back on the Genesi, where all he did was spin in a ball and roll into enemies.

If it's a lazy design, it's not on Sakurai's hand any more than Sega's design from the get go.
I can only call it lazy from a visual perspective myself. :applejack:
No i'm pretty sure Sonic was rush job in Brawl, since many of his moves are visual clones of other moves (spin dash) or they reuse assets from other characters (his aerials). Sonic has more than enough moveset potential for Brawl, Sakurai didn't have time to utilize it unfortunately.

BTW this is pure speculation, but he was one of the last characters added to the games data.

"Mario - Average at everything means good at nothing"
I once read something along those lines in a Mario Kart Wiki and it pretty much translates well to Brawl (I'm pretty sure Sakurai didn't really take recovery into consideration).
iunno

he seems to pretty mediocre at everything in brawl

i think Sakurai nailed him in melee, and even smash 64 but he really dropped the ball in brawl

Psychoace

Smash Champion
As pointed out the only high level character it really effects is marth, but for other characters ganon, wolf, falcon, mario, etc. it's still important to have any kind of frame advantage and this puts them at a disadvantage for doing what they need to do to live. As for terrible, Brawl has a tech system where your character can not roll as soon as they hit the ground unless they are a certain distance away from the ground I've heard people mention this as a bug, but whatever the frame window is for it it doesn't feel very fluid to as compared to say melee's.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I don't know what exactly you mean by "doesn't feel very fluid" when referring to a frame window. You're not exactly putting up a good argument for it XD

Techrolling only possible from a certain distance from the ground? I know you can techroll even if you get hit by something while right above the ground (see: 9B vs Nick Riddle game 2). I've also techrolled MK's dthrow plenty of times. I'll test out other distances later. Still doesn't sound like a big deal, really.

Again with the RCO, I don't think it's that big of a deal. And even if it is, I still don't see why this should be labelled poor game design. It's just a mechanic.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Hes basically just saying the time window for tech rolling is smaller in Brawl than Melee lol.

And as for RCO, its not a mechanic or poor game design, its a glitch.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Randomness is not inherently non-competitive, PM is well-done but its devs are living in the past, jablocks are cool, ledge slip mechanics are cool, non-infinite locks are cool.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I disagree so long as the infinite is very situational or hard to set up. It takes a lot of skill to pull off things like that against other good players, so I feel they should be rewarded for connecting difficult locks like a ledge slip to weak nair jab lock, or be rewarded for complex and strict loops like ICs CGs for example.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I disagree so long as the infinite is very situational or hard to set up. It takes a lot of skill to pull off things like that against other good players, so I feel they should be rewarded for connecting difficult locks like a ledge slip to weak nair jab lock, or be rewarded for complex and strict loops like ICs CGs for example.
Completely disagree here, this is a completely illogical opinion. Either they are all ok or all bad, difficulty in execution or set-up is are arbitrary judgements. If a character can infinite another character by pressing A over and over again but another one needs to grab you with a 25 frame tether grab first, they're both either still good or still bad. If they're good, the first character is a better character, if they're bad then both infinites should be banned.

Like, it drives me crazy that people actually think that IC CGs are OK but the Dedede CG on DK is wrong for some reason. Like a judgement of "effort" or "practice" or what other nonsense is adequate in deciding whether or not either are OK to do. If infinties are OP, they're OP. Ban them. If they're not, don't.

When you're in charge of balancing a game (an act we've taken upon ourselves more or less) balancing around "effort" or "skill" in determining if something is too strong is absolutely ludicrous. If it's too strong, it's too strong. If you aren't assuming 100% execution you're just doing it wrong.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Completely disagree here, this is a completely illogical opinion. Either they are all ok or all bad, difficulty in execution or set-up is are arbitrary judgements. If a character can infinite another character by pressing A over and over again but another one needs to grab you with a 25 frame tether grab first, they're both either still good or still bad. If they're good, the first character is a better character, if they're bad then both infinites should be banned.

Like, it drives me crazy that people actually think that IC CGs are OK but the Dedede CG on DK is wrong for some reason. Like a judgement of "effort" or "practice" or what other nonsense is adequate in deciding whether or not either are OK to do. If infinties are OP, they're OP. Ban them. If they're not, don't.

When you're in charge of balancing a game (an act we've taken upon ourselves more or less) balancing around "effort" or "skill" in determining if something is too strong is absolutely ludicrous. If it's too strong, it's too strong. If you aren't assuming 100% execution you're just doing it wrong.
This is why I will never ever ban Marths GR on Ness and Lucas, Dedede's chaingrab on DK and such. Banning them is worse than banning MK by a long shot.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
dabuz, m2k, and salem say zss is top tier

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW

I mean, SFP says so too and he's arguably smarter and better looking than all of them, but their opinions sure do help
M2k has also gone on record to say rob/pika are the best characters in the game too (check the old threads in the BBR). So yea don't jump to conclusions when he says something lol.

Literally after every apex, the stupid masses jump on a bandwagon. First it was snake then falco then olimar and now ZS. Nothing has really changed dude. ONE ZS player doing good things doesn't mean a MU has changed. Now if Salem started winning everything all the sudden then it would be a different story.

:phone:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
M2k has also gone on record to say rob/pika are the best characters in the game too (check the old threads in the BBR). So yea don't jump to conclusions when he says something lol.

Literally after every apex, the stupid masses jump on a bandwagon. First it was snake then falco then olimar and now ZS. Nothing has really changed dude. ONE ZS player doing good things doesn't mean a MU has changed. Now if Salem started winning everything all the sudden then it would be a different story.

Stay mad pls

also your point has been addressed by me and others several times, it isn't a one-tourney bandwagon. zss has done well for a while, winning apex is more like dessert, not the main course. could have moved up past wario a while ago, all i'm saying now is it's probably a sure(er) thing than before, ya dig?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Moving up? Yea sure thats fine. Top tier or top 3? Hell no.

I never said top 3. Nor did anyone else to my knowledge.

I did say the lower part of the current "top tier," which includes B tier: Wario, Pikachu, Marth, and Falco. The name of this tier pretty semantic but, depending on your point of view the tier should be called "high. " That's where I think she goes though. Top 3, uh nope and likely never.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Ok just making sure you didn't go all extremist cause your character did good. That's what happens after every apex.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Ok just making sure you didn't go all extremist cause your character did good. That's what happens after every apex.

That's not at all the case. However, my opinion has still faced a lot of opposition because the current B tier includes all the well-rounded characters that have trouble winning large events for different small reasons. ZSS is in a lot of ways very different from that.

ZSS is a character with mostly high or top tier attributes (damage, kill power, punishes, mobility, recovery, air game, shield pressure, safety) and a few low tier flaws (grab, CQC and pressure/poke vulnerability). In terms of placements and success she's more in line with B tier than C. In terms of judging the moveset, that's always been tricky, but good placement means it's possible to do well. That's really the extent of what I'm saying.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Lets just accept a C tier won Apex and just admit we need to get better. Zss is not B tier.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Compelling evidence!? the ***** goes even with :sheik: and :sonic: .......at the same time. o.O
Shes has great attributes yes but she's no B tier. I feel like brawl players want to stay in their "oh my character sucks" bubble.
And I had Bio, Y.B.M and Dakpo in my state. They practiced Why-fi non stop, showed up and drove like 4 hours across TEXAS to like every tourney and worked hard as hell. That's not B tier thats just hard work. Same as Salem......worked mad hard.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
You missed the part where she's been placing in several top 5's since 2010. Go back and look at the evidence and then we can talk, but for now, it seems like you're arguing without actually knowing what you're talking about. When I'm less lazy, I'll go look up the previous posts, but let's just say that your latest post shows that you're REALLY uninformed.

Edit: Because hard work = not good? Lolwut? :rolleyes:

Ugh, this is no different from any Marvel infinite..... :facepalm:

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Edit: Because hard work = not good? Lolwut? :rolleyes:
No Im saying hard work doesn't = Maruchan's instant B tier.
It means they worked hard with a very viable C tier and got rewarded for it.
Edit: this is like when espy and X topped at MLG and Every niiguh on Why-fi wanted to pick up :sonic:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Was MLG as big as Apex? Was our Brawl metagame as developed as it is now?

If they're good, the first character is a better character, if they're bad then both infinites should be banned.

When you're in charge of balancing a game (an act we've taken upon ourselves more or less) balancing around "effort" or "skill" in determining if something is too strong is absolutely ludicrous.
This is part of why I think Brawl is a "bad" game. So many tourneys DO take it upon themselves to ban infinites, and even more, selectively ban them. Oh, DDD's wall infinite isn't banned, but his ledge one is? Dafuq? So yeah, "we've taken upon ourselves" the job of shaping our game's meta(knight)game. I've talked about this extensively with John12346. Why the heck are our artificial rules so friendly to one kind of camper but extremely detrimental to another kind? Our time limits literally make certain characters viable or at least buff their viability somewhat. If we truly wanted chars to be exposed for what they were, we'd be playing with 99-minute time limits or something. Same goes for planking. So just because MK exists, other chars have to imposed with a LGL, and MK has to be restricted with even more extreme rules? This can't be called good!

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
No Im saying hard work doesn't = Maruchan's instant B tier.
It means they worked hard with a very viable C tier and got rewarded for it.
Edit: this is like when espy and X topped at MLG and Every niiguh on Why-fi wanted to pick up :sonic:
The problem is that :sonic: got a HUGE buff at MLG. At MLG :sonic: had an auto-win stage the same way :metaknight: has when RC/Brinstar are both legal. When Yi and Pictochat were both legal in the same tournament, you NEEDED to win game 1 or it was basically over because you were going to be clocked on Picto/Yi. No other national to my knowledge has ever allowed Pictochat (Except maybe Whobo's) and none of :sonic:'s result could be similar because of the removal of Pictochat.

:zerosuitsamus: has done well regardless of stages used. I only think she should be above :wario: though. She's got the potential to be a regional threat, but I don't think she is a national threat even with Salem's Apex victory.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Was MLG as big as Apex? Was our Brawl metagame as developed as it is now?
No, but our metagame never will be developed(as much as it should be) cuz brawl players always spend time finding excuses instead of practicing. Seriously there has been upset after upset and still brawl players want to blame the game for being bad.

M2k lost to Ocean: nononono M2k doesn't know the MU
Trela & Junebug: who plays lucario?
9B lost to Esam in crews(convincingly): Well japan doesnt really have a pika as good as Esam, and well its just crews
Ryo & san: Well like any one knows the ike mu
Espy and X: Well know one (out of the 100 :metaknight: 's they played) knows the mu
Gluttony vs Atomsk: Well no wario is as good as gluttony
Judo: well shiek is weird
Ed's ZELDA: well you know.......c mon man like any one knows zelda?:urg:
Will vs Rich brown: Well the ledge grab....blah,blah ,blah
Will vs like every hard Mu: Well donkey kong jhon blah blah blah
Every other brawl up set ever: blah blah blah blah, john john john john
And now salem: Even though he practices with like 60% of the apex top 32 players like every tourney he goes to.

so...if you ask me at this rate our metagame will never get fully devolved, were just as a community gonna time out brawl until smash 4 gets released. I mean Olimar went from low tier to apparently the 2nd best in the game only like a few months ago.

Edit: @ seagull picto is not an auto win for sonic, isdr is really gay but its not impossible. especailly when mk can just fly over it and has nado after the first fresh isdr gets staled. even in today's stage list peach can beat up sonic on yoshis.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
She's got the potential to be a regional threat, but I don't think she is a national threat even with Salem's Apex victory.

How does this make sense? What ridiculous cognitive dissonance. :|

The term "national threat" is not reserved for characters that meet your arbitrary requirements or fail to pass your "gut check." ZSS is a national threat, and was clearly a national threat, even if you didn't know it or don't think she was. What a meaningless statement.

And brawl doesn't even have real regionals. There are three types of brawl tournament: local, big local, and international (easier to say Major). There hasn't been a brawl "Regional" since like 2008 or 2009 and there hasn't been a national since like Genesis 1.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Guys, just powershield everything, ZSS has no grab, then just gimp her when she is offstage like everybody did to Salem at Apex... Oh, wait, that didn't happen.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Brawl regional: go to someones house or some comic book store. and like 15 maybe......30 people show up. Then every one goes to eat and get drunk after and say how much every one hates brawl.

Edit: @ bubba ,My bad mid at the very begging and then after a year to B tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom