• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Needs more Sia, in my opinion. <333 Sia.

Is there a general rule for what characters Yoshi's eggs are not very useful against? Short? Fast ground speed?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Anyone with decent aerial mobility, a good airdodge, or anyone who can perfect shield it.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Because you played better than a player in a particular set, doesn't mean you are the better player overall simply because of that. Not suggesting either of us are the better player, but I'm simply pointing out the flaw in your logic :p .

However, I was quite impressed with you when you won last time against me. You played really well, and definitely outplayed me that time. Just realize, by no means does winning against someone define who the better player is, it and certainly does not define which character wins the MU for that matter.

At any rate, I've played the MU countless times (oddly enough), and I've always felt my character was at an advantage vs Yoshi. ZSS wins in just about every spot except for long range really, and the camping isn't all that difficult to deal with, ultimately. Its not like a landslide, but I'd say around 6/4 ZSS' favor.
I didn't say either of us was better. I was only pointing out that you had a pretty strong winning record against me up until that point (I was like, 0-4 against you or something).

I'm not necessarily trying to use our set as an absolute for the match up, I just don't think the MU can really be a disadvantage for Yoshi if I just pull a solid win out of nowhere. Of course, it's only been one set, so maybe I did something differently that you didn't adapt to that time, but I don't think I did anything too drastic. We'll just have to wait and see until we play at the next event we both attend, because we ALWAYS have each other first or second round. :awesome:

I feel like ZSS wins in a lot of situations head on, but since Yoshi is so flexible he can get away from the head to head conflicts most of the time and act in more favorable situations. At least, that's how I played it last, since I remember in the past I tried to flat out approach/beat you out in the air and that went AWFULLY. :laugh:

Also, Get Up Attack > 100% is sooooooooo gayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Edit @ Reflex: In general, characters who are short are better against eggs because our ability to hit them is more limited so we don't get as much use out of eggs. Characters with low dashes (like Marth) are also good at getting under eggs, so they're problems too. Fast ground characters make eggs much more unsafe (MK, Sonic). As for air speed, characters with good weave potential are good because they get around eggs very well and then can close space quickly. Wario and Jigglypuff, for example.

Espy, Perfect Shielding eggs isn't the most useful way of dealing with them. They have two hitboxes; all you're doing is PSing the first one and normal shielding the explosion. You still suffer shield damage. Also, PS'ed eggs can bounce, further reducing its use. Eggs are also pretty good at stabbing shields after one or two shielded ones, even if they have been Perfect Shielded.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I've never had a problem with bowsers.
I guess i need to play a legit bowser main. Zigsa/Flayl, when's the next time you guys are comin' to FL :D
SUPER late namesearch!

Pretty much the only time I go to FL is to go to Disney World, haha.

Judo777

Smash Master
Needs more Sia, in my opinion. <333 Sia.

Is there a general rule for what characters Yoshi's eggs are not very useful against? Short? Fast ground speed?
Its actually more so people with good ground speed and a low dash. People can dash under egg toss from a decent distance and punish it.

Also Reflex did i hear you aren't maining PT anymore?

D

Deleted member

Spelt, the album leaked already.

But anyways, off-topic. Gaga ain't on the tier list.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. I like this list better than the previous lists. What would the list look like if CGs were removed/limited? More like the japanese tier list?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Brownys a little monster

It leaked day before yesterday
I was streaming it, let me know if you want to hear it.
I'm sure i I could find it if I wanted to, except I don't want to.

Also gaga must be furious, and I find that hilarious.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Hmm. I like this list better than the previous lists. What would the list look like if CGs were removed/limited? More like the japanese tier list?
Imo no, since D3, Falco, and ICs are still fairly prevalent in Japan (w/ RAIN, 9B, Kakera, etc.), and japan's conservative stagelist empowers CGs since there's less platforms and things to help avoid them since they basically play on only FD and BF.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Its actually more so people with good ground speed and a low dash. People can dash under egg toss from a decent distance and punish it
Yeah, Marth and Sheik excel in this regard. Especially Sheik since she can just outcamp Yoshi anyways.

Imo no, since D3, Falco, and ICs are still fairly prevalent in Japan (w/ RAIN, 9B, Kakera, etc.), and japan's conservative stagelist empowers CGs since there's less platforms and things to help avoid them since they basically play on only FD and BF.
NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Don't take away my chain-grabs. :(

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
She probably knew it was gonna happen.
Nah, she said in an interview a few months ago she was doing everything possible to make sure it doesn't happen.

She's just too busy topping the forbes list, getting 10 millions twitter followers, being awesome, etc to care.
if hitler was still alive, he would be topping it too.
lol @ online popularity contest, gaga is definitely an attention *****, can't argue with that.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Her fame attracts her followers, not the other way around.

It's not like people are going "OMG. you see that ***** with 10million subscribers? she's obviously the best person in the world and i'm going to buy anything she produces because she tweets a lot. **** yeah."

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
....that's not the point. -_- The point is to advertise to those she is already being followed by. Not everyone knows exactly when her CD comes out, when she's touring, if she's appearing on TV, if she's selling some type of merchandise, etc.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Lady Gaga is cool and all but she isn't part of the tier list, if you want to talk about her do it elsewhere in the appropriate forums.

Keep this to the tier list please and thank you.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Nah, she said in an interview a few months ago she was doing everything possible to make sure it doesn't happen.

if hitler was still alive, he would be topping it too.
lol @ online popularity contest, gaga is definitely an attention *****, can't argue with that.
Yeah but she sent it to a BBC radio station to be previewed, so it was already about to be heard by everyone.
It leaked like 3 hours before she was giving it to the world anyways so I doubt she was mad.

Last Gaga post I swear :x

Let's finish discussing Lucario or whatever character you guys were talking about.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
um... pokes sheik has them.
Sheik has hella poker face.

You can't tell what she's thinking behind all that swag.

On another note, I can't help but feel that Mario's weaknesses aren't attributed to just "he's balanced but not broken enough in anything". There's plenty of characters that are similar in that fashion but are better on the list. Imo Mario lacks in the range department often, and while he gets a little more boon from approaching because of fireballs, it doesn't outweigh the fact that unlike Luigi, Mario can't do a whole ton of pressure/"psychological fear" on the characters that matter, as he doesn't have a lot of overwhelming safety or power behind his approach mixups (whereas w/ Luigi, people who try to fisticuffs with Luigi see very quickly the mistake in that mentality). Also, his recovery options imo are okay, but are still rather underwhelming, it almost seems like DK syndrome where both characters only really have sideB to cover them against strong aggro edgeguarding (with the occasional fireball, except this doesn't cover enough of a blindspot to be used when close). Anyone else want to comment who has better knowledge on his gameplay?

V

Smash Ace
I played supatony last tourney and I have a friend with a decent mario. His recovery isn't that bad and if you mistime an edgehog his upB stage spikes very early. In all honesty, mario can only win if his opponent messes up his spacing a lot which high level players don't do. I played mk against him and all I did was PS > ftilt and he literally couldn't do anything to it and then I saved dsmash and SL for kills. He just doesn't have any reliable ways to start a string and get momentum. He gets ledge trapped pretty badly too. He does have a decent edgeguard game but that's all he really does decently. He's low tier for sure.

:phone:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Everything good about Mario is offset by how bad is range is, honestly. And there's a lot of good.

His moves are fast, have strong utility, etc. Fireballs are good as an approach. He has a solution to everything and isn't really lacking in any department (he has all the tools you'd need theoretically, good spacing moves, a projectile, strong kill moves, etc) but none of them are great. He can't kill without a read. Etc.

Mario's recovery is actually pretty decent. Between his low fall speed, long horizontal second jump, cape stall, and admittedly bad up+b, he only has trouble against the game's best edge guarders really. His recovery is just like... a worse Marth's, I guess. Bad but not terrible.

I think playing Mario can teach you a lot, as he gets strong rewards for a read and has a lot of good baiting tools, especially when your opponent isn't familiar with the match-up (lol). SH retreat bair as an example.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I can't help but feel that Mario's weaknesses aren't attributed to just "he's balanced but not broken enough in anything".
Yeah, I hate when people use that logic. Mario is just really, really bad all in all and he only beats/goes even bad characters like Lucario, Ike, ROB, Sonic or Yoshi [Olimar is the only anomaly here because he's actually good]. He has some fine tools at low %, which gives him the edge over a couple of other Low Tier characters but that doesn't really cut it against characters that don't suck. Once you reach a certain % Mario's lack of reliable damage output and his inability to kill without the opponent being stupid becomes just blatant. Honestly, although people say that Mario beats Samus and Link I can't even see that being the case anymore simply because of the reasons stated above ... what are you doing to these characters once they're above 50ish %, you have no reliable set-ups to make up for the risk of approaching them? You're not anywhere near killing them and other than the occasional [stale] bair you can hardly even get a hit in.
I don't even know how many times I had to lose to KillerJawz to understand how little Mario can capitalize on in actuality.

:059:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom