• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
The issue is MK has the ability to so radically turn a match around with low percent gimps if the opponent screws up, it becomes very hard to approximate an actual ratio, cuz the MK mains say, "We'll never gimp (character) at low percents," and overestimate the opponent's character, while the non-MKs say, "MK will gimp the living crap out of you," and underestimate their character.

Oh, and I'm just being curious with the rediscussion. Never hurt to ask, right?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Actually it does hurt to ask. Last year mods closed alot of thread and infracted people for discussing it. Its officially not allowed for discussion apparently.

But yea, there are some matchup discussions where MKs will underrate themselves AND the other guys will overate themselves. MK probably IS alot of characters worst matchup. All things considered.

Tesh

Smash Hero
It worked best when they just had one thread for it. It was amazingly cluttered but then they had a legit reason to stop people from discussing it everywhere else.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Well, I think we were a mod(or one of higher authority status) said something to the effect of a rediscussion a year after the last discussion ended. I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure I heard something like that a long while back.
Actually, ignore this, I think I'm trippin' balls or something. I just remembered I was wrong about that.

Instead, I'll just agree with what Tesh said

Anyway, that's why I was curious. Just wanted to know if there were any plans for the future or something.
Anyway, not much to say about MK himself in relation to the tier list. His matchups are wonky skewed in his favor, he wins too high of a percentage of tournament money, and he has the tools to win a match on the ground, in the air, at the ledge, off the stage, in the lead, while losing, down Spook hill, through the woods, between the rocks, around the lake, under the bridge, over the wall, up the tree, in the window, and back in bed.

Most likely staying number 1.

Yamitsuki

Smash Cadet
dont forget the fact for MK to radically turn a match around by simply pressing b more
lol Your troll effort reminds me of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50S5pS0Frbs
It seems ironic to think back upon those two moves. When you know these two moves are going to be coming, they are really quiet punishable. Dsmash has enough lag that a majority of the cast can punish it with a shield drop -> dash attack. And with a little knowledge on the tornado, there are actually many ways to punish it and avoid it. And yet the sterotypes will always continue to persist.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
It seems ironic to think back upon those two moves. When you know these two moves are going to be coming, they are really quiet punishable. Dsmash has enough lag that a majority of the cast can punish it with a shield drop -> dash attack. And with a little knowledge on the tornado, there are actually many ways to punish it and avoid it. And yet the sterotypes will always continue to persist.

I forgot MK has a terrible mix up game.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
lol Your troll effort reminds me of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50S5pS0Frbs

Anything's possible

IF YOU BELIEVE IN YOURSELF

-Mars-

Smash Hero
*Sprays a full can of troll spray on DMG*

He......becomes.......stronger.............*Explodes*.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
*Sprays a full can of troll spray on DMG*

He......becomes.......stronger.............*Explodes*.

I

HAVE

THE

POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Also, yeah you can deal with just about anything if you predict it. 2 frame Uair is nothing if you know he will do it at a bad time and drop kick him in the masked cojones.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
IMO... MK's match up spread is foshizzled sugar coated by the old measure of "how many match ups out of 100".

But MU chart, MK's +1s are somewhat reasonable... Because it isn't the "same" scale.
And like... there isn't enough options to designate how hard MK beats people.

He doesn't +4 many. So you really only have 3 other options.
IMO MK's chart may have been too focussed on "OLD" match up numbers rather than thinking in the scale. People tended to think "okay these characters are easier to beat than those characters, so we must separate them by a number!"

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
If I had to guess, +4 would involve matchups with infinites(excluding ICs infinites) or some really gay gayness that invalidates the victim?

Dedede vs DK
Dedede vs Bowser
ICs vs Ganon
Olimar vs Ganon
Marth vs Ness
Marth vs Lucas
Pikachu vs Fox
Shiek vs Fox
Zamus vs Fox
Zamus vs R.O.B.?
And MK vs some select matchups

Sound about right?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
If I had to guess, +4 would involve matchups with infinites(excluding ICs infinites) or some really gay gayness that invalidates the victim?

Dedede vs DK
Dedede vs Bowser
ICs vs Ganon
Olimar vs Ganon
Marth vs Ness
Marth vs Lucas
Pikachu vs Fox
Shiek vs Fox
Zamus vs Fox
Zamus vs R.O.B.?

Sound about right?
The first 4 yea..
The rest I would say are +3

Zamus vs Fox is really only +1-2 though.

Psychoace

Smash Champion

Dedede vs DK
Dedede vs Bowser
ICs vs Ganon
Olimar vs Ganon
Marth vs Ness
Marth vs Lucas
Pikachu vs Fox
Shiek vs Fox
Zamus vs Fox
Zamus vs R.O.B.?

Sound about right?
Falcon vs. R.O.B.

etecoon

Smash Hero
dont forget MK's ability to turn a match around by simply hitting cstick more

nothing MK does is punishable!

infomon

Smash Scientist
awwww I can't beat MKs, he should be banned, waaaah. but the tournament results don't show it... I know, I'll invent a different matchup number system so that he looks more broken than he is! maybe then people will believe he's unbeatable!! yaaayuhz!

/scrub-diddly-ub

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
awwww I can't beat MKs, he should be banned, waaaah. but the tournament results don't show it... I know, I'll invent a different matchup number system so that he looks more broken than he is! maybe then people will believe he's unbeatable!! yaaayuhz!

/scrub-diddly-ub
Uhh, I don't get what you're saying... Are you saying that the BBR are scrubs that want to ban MK but can't so they made up a new MU rating system to make him look even more broken, or what? o_o

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

/scrub-diddly-ub
All we're saying is that people should be more realistic about their numbers. People don't understand how much the character can abuse.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I just wanted to comment on some things:
Also, aside from allowing zelda mains to play in low tier tournaments, why does she even need her own spot on the tier list? It should just be sheldar, not sheik and zelda and sheldar.

You can argue that, unlike PT, they don't HAVE to transform. But, by the logic we could add nolimar and sopo to low tier because "you don't have to use nana or pluck pikmin". A playstyle shouldn't get a spot on the tier list. Making poor or no use of the best options available to you does not make the character worse. If I don't use tornado or shuttle loop with metanight as a personal decision, you wouldn't add a "tornadoless, shuttle loop free metaknight" to A tier would you?

Also Charizard and Ivysaur needs to be ranked as well then. You don't actually have to use squirtle if you don't want to.
Difference between PT and Sheik/Zelda/Sheilda:

PT: Each stock gone = mandatory character change, so you use all 3 pokemon in a match. Due to the long transform times, even if you transform as soon as you respawn, the pokemon you don't want to use already did something in the match, which was use up your invincibility frames, so essentially you HAVE to use all 3 no matter what. Hence only PT being in the tier list.

Sheik and Zelda: You can choose either at the start of a match, before the match starts, and you can end the match without even catching a glimpse of the other character. Each one has a different moveset, strategy, weakness and strength, specific character traits like fall speed and airdodge lengths, so much so that they can actually be treated as separate characters. The option to transform into the other is there, but since you CAN go solo with either, I think it's a good idea to point out just how well you could do in a competitive setting if you decide on using only one of those two characters in every single match.

Sheilda: This one may be a bit iffy, but it's essentially the combined use of both characters. In theory, what it's supposed to signify is using Sheik or Zelda whenever it would benefit you the most. Enemy is at 120%? Go Zelda and spam usmash. Enemy is a heavy character? Go Sheik and spam ftilt. It depends on the situation and not all people would use the characters for the same scenario, but it just means combined use of Zelda/Sheik. If you want to you can just ignore that character in the tier list, since it's a theoretical placing.

Also, you mentioned something about Solo Popo: You're forced to use him as a consequence for losing Nana while playing Ice Climbers. He's a part of the character and you can't avoid choosing ICs and not seeing him in every match, so he is still considered IC's. Same thing with Solo Olimar (in case anyone would want to bring HIM up).

I wonder, will a rediscussion ever be opened?

I can tell there are so many people who are itching to discuss MK more openly.
John, you must not speak of it. The mods..... are watching...
It worked best when they just had one thread for it. It was amazingly cluttered but then they had a legit reason to stop people from discussing it everywhere else.
It's okay if he asks, no harm done. :)

We don't really mind healthy discussion of any Brawl-related topics in the Brawl forums, but MK discussions ALWAYS degenerate quickly. Trolling, flaming, spamming of off-topic one-liners and needless provoking pics, this has always happened whenever an MK debate has happened for an extended period of time. And with all of this come a LOT of reported posts, and we are always kept busy. Keeping a close eye on the thread for extended periods of time isn't fun, even less so when a member who breaks a rule gets infracted for it, then he bashes the mods for it and other members start joining in as well. See, if the members of SWF could prove that they wouldn't derail the topic with senseless posts like those, then I'm sure we could have some discussion happening.

There's also the fact that there's nothing to talk about. All that would happen can be explained in a flowchart, and since I'm too lazy to make one I'll just do a text-based blueprint:

1) Tournament happens where MK is/isn't dominant
2) Pro/Anti-ban argues he is/isn't too dominant
3) Opposing side says "stop cherry-picking and look at other tournament results".
4) Comparisons to SF2 Akuma and other characters in other games happens.
5) Sirlin is brought up and Sirlin-bashers appear. The scrub word is thrown around all day. BBR bashers and supporters start arguing against the opposing sides.
6) Lots of talk about MK's upB, planking, uair, dair camping, scrooging, (etc) and how it may or may not be affecting his tournament results.
7) Go back to #1.

It's an endless cycle of repeated arguments that goes nowhere, and all it does is create tension, then build it up and explode into a storm of inter-community hate. As the moderating team, I think the smartest solution here is to avoid the problem by preventing the roots from growing.
I think the mods should get over the fact that MK discussion is inevitable.
It's inevitable, MK's brought up in a lot of discussions due to being the best character in the game and all that whatnot. But it doesn't mean we can't stop discussions when they start showing signs of going out of hand. We're not stopping discussions whenever people bring up planking/scrooging/time-outs because discussion is healthy for the community, we're only there to stop things from going to far once a certain line is crossed, people start taking sides and arguments start getting more heated than normal.

Actually it does hurt to ask. Last year mods closed alot of thread and infracted people for discussing it. Its officially not allowed for discussion apparently.
Discussion about MK the character is allowed, else we wouldn't even have an MK sub-forum. But discussion about MK's chances of getting banned or attempts at starting such discussions are stopped before they go too far. History has shown us that it will take a certain route (four different MK Ban discussions and Hylian's "Official MK Discussion" thread).

@ Iblis: I think they go pretty even. Sucks if Fox gets dsmashed though, but assuming that will happen once every blue moon, the MU is actually pretty even.

Flayl

Smash Hero

Dedede vs Bowser
Wow, does somebody have to explain this every 2 months? The Bowser is going to spend the game klaw hopping, grab opportunities won't arise unless the bowser messes up. BAir and edgeguarding are much more of a deciding factor, it's +3 with the infinite. Go ahead ask your Lucario homeboy RJ if picking Dedede against Limit gave him a free win.

ICs vs Bowser on the other hand may actually be +4

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
1) Tournament happens where MK is/isn't dominant
2) Pro/Anti-ban argues he is/isn't too dominant
3) Opposing side says "stop cherry-picking and look at other tournament results".
4) Comparisons to SF2 Akuma and other characters in other games happens.
5) Sirlin is brought up and Sirlin-bashers appear. The scrub word is thrown around all day. BBR bashers and supporters start arguing against the opposing sides.
6) Lots of talk about MK's upB, planking, uair, dair camping, scrooging, (etc) and how it may or may not be affecting his tournament results.
7) Go back to #1.
Isn't... isn't it possible that new data that has been collected may change the cycle? Think about the thread Ripple and I have been working on, as well as Ankoku's thread from 2010, your MU chart(which may or may not change things), and the lack of any videos showing MK trying to plank and getting dead for trying it. Wouldn't that alone break some key aspects of this chain off the cycle entirely or something?

I mean, I understand what you're saying; I was there for the ban arguments and the MK discussion thread, and they do have a tendency to degenerate into flame wars essentially. But I get the feeling a lot of this hostility comes from the anti-ban side, when half of their posts are either some kind of ad hominem or "lol mk isnt going to get banned stop trying" in an attempt to stagnate discussion.

I can also understand why the mods and BBR to some extent would also want to avoid this topic being discussed publicly, because of the aforementioned reasons in the previous paragraph, but I get this feeling a discussion is becoming more and more warranted, because of the aforementioned reasons in the first paragraph.

And therein lies the problem... bring up a topic about a problem and see a roaring ring of fire rise up out of it, or let the problem continue to be a problem and avoid the flames?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Isn't... isn't it possible that new data that has been collected may change the cycle? Think about the thread Ripple and I have been working on, as well as Ankoku's thread from 2010, your MU chart(which may or may not change things), and the lack of any videos showing MK trying to plank and getting dead for trying it. Wouldn't that alone break some key aspects of this chain off the cycle entirely or something?

I mean, I understand what you're saying; I was there for the ban arguments and the MK discussion thread, and they do have a tendency to degenerate into flame wars essentially. But I get the feeling a lot of this hostility comes from the anti-ban side, when half of their posts are either some kind of ad hominem or "lol mk isnt going to get banned stop trying" in an attempt to stagnate discussion.

I can also understand why the mods and BBR to some extent would also want to avoid this topic being discussed publicly, because of the aforementioned reasons in the previous paragraph, but I get this feeling a discussion is becoming more and more warranted, because of the aforementioned reasons in the first paragraph.

And therein lies the problem... bring up a topic about a problem and see a roaring ring of fire rise up out of it, or let the problem continue to be a problem and avoid the flames?
The matter isn't dead, we're not shooting down every attempt to bring up evidence so don't worry about that part. If there's new evidence to be brought up then we'll gladly see it, and we'll of course let everyone else see it and comment on it. Yours and Ripple's thread is very helpful to the community and whatever information it brings forth is always up to discussion, so you shouldn't worry about the BBR not paying attention to that thread either. If it's any consolation, within the BBR there's also a split between pro-ban and anti-ban, but we keep the whole situation hush-hush until we get the "okay" to rediscuss MK's future, so for now I can't say if we are planning on revisiting the whole thing.

However, there's a point where we staff members have to stop all discussion because tension starts to escalate, and we'd rather stop the problem before it happens. The decision has nothing to do with the BBR, it is something the staff decided by themselves. If anything, it's a restriction that also affects the BBR members, even within their private forum. It's not just something directed at the normal member population as you can see, however there's a much higher chance of the BBR being able to rediscuss the topic privately than publicly because of the sheer amount of trolls and flame-baiters in the community.

The problem is still a problem as you can see from the controversial nature of the topic, but so far there hasn't been conclusive evidence that blatantly points out that MK is a powerful problem that is destroying the community.

One quick suggestion, john! I know this will be a LOT of work, but for your project with Ripple, I'd like to see which MK players are the ones earning the most money in tourneys. Your project shows that MK is overused and that MK is winning the most prize money, but it doesn't show if the majority of the prize money is being won by the same traveling MK mainers or by a bunch of random players. If it's also possible, do the same with Snake and Diddy to have something to compare MK's data to. This would definitely help your case! Something no one can argue about is the number of players actually winning tournaments with MK, and so far in any project, we haven't had names of the players who are winning money and we've instead had pools of "overall MK/Snake/Diddy/Falco/blablabla use in tourney". Anonymous bunches of statistics can only say so much about the situation, I hope you understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom