• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Recommended Rule Set 3.1

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'll try to simplify it the best I can.

Between 7:27 and 7:17 it is extremely likely to flip.

If this happens, you get a type 2 schedule, which means Frigate will spend a LOT of time on phase 2.

From there the prediction is simple. 30-40 seconds after the flip, either the lights go off, or the stage flips again.

If the lights go out, they're off for 30 seconds, then you wait 30-40 seconds, then either it flips or switches the lights again.

If it flips, it is extremely likely to flip back after 25 seconds. Then there's the 30-40 second gap, then another event.

NOTE: Frigate has given me one or two test runs where it basically flipped me off and did whatever the **** it felt like. It's pretty easy to predict, but it likes to screw around a bit.
Many thanks :)

And I would still have to disagree with you about Frigate; due to the rising platform during Phase 1 and the fact that there is no ledge on that side, play usually take place on the small platform to the left. I feel like this gives a pretty big boost to characters with good close range games, and the choices are either A) fight up close or B) risk getting hit off a ledgeless edge.

I may have a bias since I'm one of those tether*****es you were talking about (lol) but I feel like this isn't just for tether characters. Am I wrong in this? Someone??

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
There was a freeze glitch that happened in a doubles match once where Diddy landed his side-b grab on MK off stage, and GaW used u-air just as Diddy jumped off MK, causing MK to be frozen. The vid should be fairly easy to find.
im pretty sure the reason for this is that the game doesnt know how to respond to the action/reaction. Obvi once GW naired mk he returned to his natural state due to how the physics work.

Worse case scenario is the game crashes from something. This kinda thing isnt really that big of a deal thankfully.

i think the biggest question is if it can be repeated

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
im pretty sure the reason for this is that the game doesnt know how to respond to the action/reaction. Obvi once GW naired mk he returned to his natural state due to how the physics work.

Worse case scenario is the game crashes from something. This kinda thing isnt really that big of a deal thankfully.

i think the biggest question is if it can be repeated
I'd like to see if it can be done with Link's boomerang and Mario's/Squirtle's water

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Many thanks :)

And I would still have to disagree with you about Frigate; due to the rising platform during Phase 1 and the fact that there is no ledge on that side, play usually take place on the small platform to the left. I feel like this gives a pretty big boost to characters with good close range games, and the choices are either A) fight up close or B) risk getting hit off a ledgeless edge.

I may have a bias since I'm one of those tether*****es you were talking about (lol) but I feel like this isn't just for tether characters. Am I wrong in this? Someone??
Fighting on the left side of the stage for the first 40 seconds is not unreasonable. Furthermore, Olimar actually DESTROYS people on the second phase, so it's hardly a bad stage for him, especially with proper DI and momentum canceling.

Again, if you don't like it, strike it. It works for FD, so it's fair game for Frigate.

Draconoa44 said:
So Raziek how many different schedules are there for the rotations?
The simplest answer I can give you is 2.

Type 1 involves the stage NOT flipping at the 7:20ish mark, and then flipping back from phase 2 within 25 seconds. Type one spends 50-85% of the time on Phase 1. (From my recorded trials)

Type 2 DOES flip at 7:20ish, and flips back from phase 1 within 25 seconds. Type 2 spends 60-90% of the time on phase 2.

However, like I said, occasionally, the stage will do silly things like flip for the second or third time, and then stay there for an extra minute instead of flipping back after 25 seconds.

Frigate can't be 100% predicted, but you can make some **** good guesswork entirely based on if/when stuff does or doesn't happen.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Fighting on the left side of the stage for the first 40 seconds is not unreasonable. Furthermore, Olimar actually DESTROYS people on the second phase, so it's hardly a bad stage for him, especially with proper DI and momentum canceling.

Again, if you don't like it, strike it. It works for FD, so it's fair game for Frigate.

The simplest answer I can give you is 2.

Type 1 involves the stage NOT flipping at the 7:20ish mark, and then flipping back from phase 2 within 25 seconds. Type one spends 50-85% of the time on Phase 1. (From my recorded trials)

Type 2 DOES flip at 7:20ish, and flips back from phase 1 within 25 seconds. Type 2 spends 60-90% of the time on phase 2.

However, like I said, occasionally, the stage will do silly things like flip for the second or third time, and then stay there for an extra minute instead of flipping back after 25 seconds.

Frigate can't be 100% predicted, but you can make some **** good guesswork entirely based on if/when stuff does or doesn't happen.

Oh you don't have to tell me how good Olimar does on the second part - I know, I KNOW :D

Still, if it ends up being that Type 1 pattern, it seems to me that it starts to favor close-quarters characters over others for the majority of the match. I don't see anything comparable in PS2

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I'd like to see if it can be done with Link's boomerang and Mario's/Squirtle's water
i dont think so simply because the gale boomergang has a hit box on it, and water gun/fluud is similar to just having a wind box moving side ways.

It is possible that MK froze because the diddy was spiking him as GW was blowing them both up.

thanks for this someone was asking me about this today glad to see how it works

basically looks like the geometry doesnt exactly marry itself into the ship so you get a very small mini wall out of it. It seems as tho snakes foot out of the hitstun is whats causing him to get stuck

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Oh you don't have to tell me how good Olimar does on the second part - I know, I KNOW :D

Still, if it ends up being that Type 1 pattern, it seems to me that it starts to favor close-quarters characters over others for the majority of the match. I don't see anything comparable in PS2
Whoah there champ, I never argued it better than PS2. PS2 is GREAT. I'm arguing that it could possibly be better than Halberd or Delfino. Probably Delfino, maybe not Halberd. The only issue with it that I see is that it is pretty likely to be an extremely grounded stage, which throws off the balance. I'd sooner keep Halberd.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Whoah there champ, I never argued it better than PS2. PS2 is GREAT. I'm arguing that it could possibly be better than Halberd or Delfino. Probably Delfino, maybe not Halberd. The only issue with it that I see is that it is pretty likely to be an extremely grounded stage, which throws off the balance. I'd sooner keep Halberd.
I like it when people agree with me and I agree with them and we are in agreement :)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think the MK glitch in Halberd is easily bannable. If it was ever to happen in my tournament, I would tell them to jump out immediately.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well you get no sympathy from Ike so he is free to abuse it as much as we wants.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Well said, Ahvena.
THAT being said, you are responsible to know your character and avoid any glitches bla bla stalling bla bla it's illegal for some reason or another.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Well you get no sympathy from Ike so he is free to abuse it as much as we wants.
That just made my day.

What glitch are you guys referring to, by the way? Is it really that bad? Haven't heard of it before.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think that glitch is actually bannable since it's a somewhat major glitch that degenerates gameplay. It makes you untouchable for long period of time (possibly minutes) and TO's can simply order the player to leave the area if this is to ever happen. Any good TO would do that.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah it's runs under stalling in the same way that the rock/rudder things (they're not really glitches, so yeah, i guess they're just "things") on pirate ship do.

Oh and i'm sure at least a few other characters can do it too, but it's just so precise that it doesn't happen very often.

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
You want to make a Fungame with Brawl. Much people don't like the most of new stages because they are ****, and don't make funny, just with items maybe xD

Be a little bit more original, who wants to play funny games, can play with all stages on, random choice, random characters, with friends, beer and voodka, and lülz a lot x)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Don't bother replying to the last post people.

DE_Desti, this is about playing the game competitively. People find fun in competitive gaming. Your opinion isn't needed/wanted here. Tournaments aren't played with vodka/beer and on new pork city with items on high.

NNID
Budget_Player
Shaya, he's not complaining about that. He's complaining that the BBR ruleset seems to be moving the game in that direction. Read his posts closer, he's complaining about things like the game becoming too random, the hazards on various stages being too insane, etc.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Shaya, he's not complaining about that. He's complaining that the BBR ruleset seems to be moving the game in that direction. Read his posts closer, he's complaining about things like the game becoming too random, the hazards on various stages being too insane, etc.
No, he's trolling. He made another post elsewhere about why PTAD, Green Greens, Pirate are terrible, as well as PS2 and Picto - his reasoning for Picto was that the diagonal line made it "meh" >.>

He's trolling.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Don't bother replying to the last post people.

DE_Desti, this is about playing the game competitively. People find fun in competitive gaming. Your opinion isn't needed/wanted here. Tournaments aren't played with vodka/beer and on new pork city with items on high.
Of all the fun things to do when you play drunk, I've never thought of that one.

Have you done that before??

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah maybe I have...
Make a thread elsewhere (pool room?) if you want to talk about smash + alcohol (be warned that talking about alcohol consumption can be considered against the rules) though.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The official rules are against alcohol due to a very large amount of smasher are underage to drink and stuff.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Um, so yea

I was looking over the new submissions in the Olimar Video Thread to see which ones were worth adding, and someone had submitted a couple videos of a Brazilian Olimar called Kovarish. I was surprised to find out that they have Pirate Ship legal down there when I saw him playing a Marth on that stage, so I decided to watch closely to get tips on how to play Oli best there. And then 1:55 happened.

Opinions? I for one and starting to reevaluate those bombs can pose.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I just loved the fact that the marth either airdodged or left himself vulnerable to 3 bomb shots, and than the olimar whistled a bomb shot, with the greatest of ease.

Kinda like he knew how the stage worked, and it was a good counterpick... or something...

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'll admit the first one is pretty dumb, but on those last two it seemed like he was dealing with pretty limited options. On the second his choice were fall into the water where he could've gotten hit by another bomb before freeing himself or try to get on the ledge, and he missed the ledge. On the third one I really don't see any way possible he could have missed it; the bomb struck as he hit the water, meaning he couldn't have dodged it.

And we're quite used to whistling things :p But imagine if he had been over the water when a bomb was heading towards him - it'd be either whistle, fall in the water, and lose all his pikmin; or try to get ledge invincibility, which is quite bad for tether characters (and I think Pikachu).

I'm not saying bombs aren't avoidable in the majority of situations, but occurences like this don't seem to be far from the realm of possibility.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
On the second his choice were fall into the water where he could've gotten hit by another bomb before freeing himself or try to get on the ledge, and he missed the ledge.
you just answered your own question. he could have waited a bit, upbd to the ledge and been perfectly fine. he got nervous and up bd early, leading to him getting hit. once again, it was him getting blasted by a situation he was unfamiliar with. the mark of a good counterpick.

On the third one I really don't see any way possible he could have missed it; the bomb struck as he hit the water, meaning he couldn't have dodged it.
1. he could have up bd early and been above the explosion.
2. he could have up bd late and tanked the explosion with invincibility frames
3. he could have countered it.

note that in 1 and 2, if he up bd toward the stage, he would have gotten punished by the olimar who was just waiting for said moment, but if he up bd away from the stage, he would have been much too far out in the water for the olimar to even attempt to punish it.

once again, he would have been completely fine. This is why I like brawl so much, its very rare to have situations where you are going to die, no matter what you do, theres always an escape option.

And we're quite used to whistling things :p But imagine if he had been over the water when a bomb was heading towards him - it'd be either whistle, fall in the water, and lose all his pikmin; or try to get ledge invincibility, which is quite bad for tether characters (and I think Pikachu).

ledge invinciblity i thought was amazing because you can hang from the tether and choose the exact moment that you wish to activate said invincibility.
also, if that happened to me and i was olimar, I wouldnt underestimate how far to the right of the main ship you can go. especially when the king of red dragons (the tiny red boat that appears behind the main boat) comes into play

I'm not saying bombs aren't avoidable in the majority of situations, but occurences like this don't seem to be far from the realm of possibility.
occurances where people will die due to not knowing all of the options available to them, due to not knowing the stage well enough? sure, if we allow these borderline stages, that kind of thing is going to be happening, CONSTANTLY.

Top Bottom