• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Recommended Rule Set 3.1

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
playing as MK, I uair juggle combo'd a snake into the claw once.

and playing as diddy, I shielded in anticipation for the claw to hit me, and then the opponent came up and grabbed me right before the claw hit, and I died. :urg:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Has there been determined any way to determine which character the claw is targeting?

and @ spelt, you should have spotdodged

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think it was at least the laser that aimed to the losing or winning player (can't remember which) and then the target changes upon contact like a sticky bomb. You seriously, the claw gives 6 seconds of warning, enough to plan out the situation to avoid it. It's what BPC usually says, ADAPTABILITY.

UberMario

Smash Master
I'm digging this new ruleset. I was not a fan of the older method for tie breaking and am glad to see that change. Stage striking becoming more significant is pretty interesting aswell, as is the inclusion of Yoshi's Island, Luigi's Mansion, Distant Planet, and Port Town into a "more legal than they were" counterpick status, rather than teetering on the edge like in the past. Speaking of which, Yoshi's Island didn't really get an explanation for the change-of-heart towards it, why was the stance changed from it being banned to a counterpick status? (I'm for it being a CP, just wondering why it became one after being, for the most part, banned)

Also, excuse me if this was already answered (I didn't look through all fourty pages), but what, exactly is meant by a "a throw with a wind attack"?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
playing as MK, I uair juggle combo'd a snake into the claw once.

and playing as diddy, I shielded in anticipation for the claw to hit me, and then the opponent came up and grabbed me right before the claw hit, and I died. :urg:
Playing as Olimar, I threw someone into the laser once.

Also playing as Olimar, I threw someone into the spikes on Picto once. (Ok, I'm lying - many times.)

That's just using the hazard
I'm digging this new ruleset. I was not a fan of the older method for tie breaking and am glad to see that change. Stage striking becoming more significant is pretty interesting aswell, as is the inclusion of Yoshi's Island, Luigi's Mansion, Distant Planet, and Port Town into a "more legal than they were" counterpick status, rather than teetering on the edge like in the past. Speaking of which, Yoshi's Island didn't really get an explanation for the change-of-heart towards it, why was the stance changed from it being banned to a counterpick status? (I'm for it being a CP, just wondering why it became one after being, for the most part, banned)

Also, excuse me if this was already answered (I didn't look through all fourty pages), but what, exactly is meant by a "a throw with a wind attack"?
Sounds like DDD's Dthrow to me; iirc, it's actually composed of two wind boxes

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Has something to do with doing a throw that is interrupted by a wind hitbox like gale boomerang. Haven't heard of it anyways.

T-block

B2B TST
There was a freeze glitch that happened in a doubles match once where Diddy landed his side-b grab on MK off stage, and GaW used u-air just as Diddy jumped off MK, causing MK to be frozen. The vid should be fairly easy to find.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also playing as Olimar, I threw someone into the spikes on Picto once. (Ok, I'm lying - many times.)

That's just using the hazard
...So you're gonna compare it to a counterpick to justify it being a starter?
You realize how ridiculous that sounds, right?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
...So you're gonna compare it to a counterpick to justify it being a starter?
You realize how ridiculous that sounds, right?
Oh, my B, didn't realize you were talking about it in a Starter sense. It certainly does have the most hazards out of any of the other starters. I think it could be bumped off by PS2

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh yeah, i'm not crazy. I definitely have no problem with Halberd being a counterpick.

BBQTV

Smash Master
There was a freeze glitch that happened in a doubles match once where Diddy landed his side-b grab on MK off stage, and GaW used u-air just as Diddy jumped off MK, causing MK to be frozen. The vid should be fairly easy to find.
i would say, or you could just show the vid, but that would make you say, or you could just find it, so im just gonna say show the video please

BSP

Smash Legend
What does Halberd have that makes it less considerable as a starter than PS2?

Chuee

Smash Hero
Low ceiling, Sharking, lasers/claw, and a really gay MK glitch.
While PS2 has stalling on some transformations (mostly wind), changes physics of game
=/

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
gay MK glitch?

idt stalling on the wind transformation is that big of a deal. Only a few characters can take advantage of it, and they're getting damage the whole time they're doing it.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
^I actually remember a few weeks ago I think hearing about DDD being able to infinite on the ship in Halberd, but I've never actually seen it, or where specifically it needs to be done.

Can I see a video of it, just for curiosities sake?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah i'd like to see videos of these, if anyone knows of any. xD

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You know near the ledges hows there's that "lip" (really small)? [I'm not sure if it's on both sides... the only vids i've ever seen of it have been on the left side only]
This is the main stage though, not the air part.

If dedede is in the right position, when he down throws the opponent won't go past it.
i.e. it becomes a wall infinite.

PS2 is:
1. smaller than the big stage on halberd.
2. Doesn't have Ikillyou qualities.

PS2's transformations, unlike halberd's, can be used by every character in unique and wonderful ways.
Halberd whilst being "neutral" for a lot of match ups (not any more neutral than lets say ... Yoshi's Island Brawl), it's stage features are strongly abused by a set type of character.

tl;dr when would you want to go to halberd over SV/YI, unless you want that "significant" advantage? The type that snake, mk, pit, rob, diddy, dedede, falco can produce.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
-bookmarks that-

Can that fully charged down b glitch be used on other stages?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
it can be on any stage, but nobody has perfected it, because of the exact tilt on the control stick needed to perform it is sooooo exact that it cant be relied on in a battle.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Seems better off learning the inhale trick and weird chaingrab stage nuances, because not many stages are big, your % increases, and afaik jet hammer's not one of DDD's favorite moves.

Even then, Halberd isn't too bad since you always have the option of camping the platform for a little less than a minute.

The claw swings around the person its meant to attack. If you are knocked away or you knock someone away while the claw is out, it will be apparent which person it's aiming for.

Don't think sharking is too bad since there's always a platform above that is low enough to reach at any moment the other person decides to shark so you can run away/prepare in case the opponent goes more offensive. It will draw out the timer a lot, though.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yeah, I could agree with PS2 over Halberd, but then I'd question whether Halberd is worse than Delfino or Frigate.

Luxor

Smash Champion
I think Halberd is better than those two, although the flipside of Orpheon isn't that bad, especially when you consider it spends like 75% of its time there. <3 Raziek.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I think Halberd is better than those two, although the flipside of Orpheon isn't that bad, especially when you consider it spends like 75% of its time there. <3 Raziek.
<3 indeed. Much love for having the guide name in the post. xD

But yeah, if anyone does any programming, Frigate Orpheon can more or less be simulated by a series of nested if -> then statements.

I've actually gotten absurdly good at predicting it WHILE I play.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Yeah, I could agree with PS2 over Halberd, but then I'd question whether Halberd is worse than Delfino or Frigate.
I'd certainly call Delfino more balanced - the mix of the areas balances it out imo. Frigate is a different story, but it's not a starter anyhow

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
<3 indeed. Much love for having the guide name in the post. xD

But yeah, if anyone does any programming, Frigate Orpheon can more or less be simulated by a series of nested if -> then statements.

I've actually gotten absurdly good at predicting it WHILE I play.
Really? Is this in your guide? I saw it, but didn't bother reading it since it was a Marth guide :chuckle:

BSP

Smash Legend
It's good to know what other characters are going to have against you, you never know when that knowledge will come in handy.

Oh wait, when you get CP'd.

If you're one of the unchainable twelve or so, can you wall tech if D3 D throws you and you hit a wall?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
It was added to both the trimmed down, general version (In Stage discussion) and the Marth-specific version. I'll copy/paste the relevant information.

Raziek said:
Ok, so I decided to finally finish up looking at my notes to make a general outline of what to expect on this stage.

Firstly, I believe Frigate can be predicted largely by following a series of If -> Then statements.

The First major split comes at the 7:27-7:17 mark. In the majority of my trials, the stage has flipped at this point. If it does, it is HIGHLY likely that the majority of the time will be spent on Transition 2. If it does NOT flip at this point, my trials show that the stage will follow a pattern based around Transition 1.

The majority of what is going to happen revolves around a simple concept: If one thing happens, the other CANNOT happen for at least "x" amount of time.

Following the first flip to Phase 2, there is a 30-40 second gap before the next event.

After this buffer period passes, one of two thing will happen:

1) The Stage flips again.
2) The Lights go out.

If the lights go out, the prediction is simple. From the time the lights go out, they will be off for exactly 30 seconds. After this, we return to the former pattern of a 30-40 second gap, followed by the same If -> then.

If the stage FLIPS, the prediction gets a little hazier. The grand majority of my trials have shown the stage focusing primarily on one transition, based on whether or not it flips at 7:17. If it DOES flip, you get a type 2. What this means, it that if it flips BACK to phase 1, it becomes extremely likely that it will flip back to phase 2 after 25 seconds. It then resumes the 30 sec Gap -> If/Then pattern.

If it doesn't flip, you get a Type 1, and it does MORE OR LESS the same thing as type 2, just changing the transitions roles. It will usually spend a mere 25 second on Phase 2 if it DOES flip, then it will flip back to phase 1.

Predicting this stage is done simply by making educated guesses based on the timing and transition type, whether you have type 1 or 2. Between the If/Thens and reading the set time gaps, you can play here quite easily.

It is regrettable that the stage still seems to have some inherently random determinants, but by and large, it is quite easy to predict. Just be aware that every once in a while, it might screw you over.

I personally think Frigate is way more balanced than Delfino, since Delfino has numerous walls, walk-offs, water transitions, and other related shenanigans. All Frigate does is flip on a mostly predictable pattern, and has one side without a ledge, that is easy to work around.

inb4tether*****es

Strike it if your character hates the ledge.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
is the turning on frigate random or are the flips on a timed schedule?

I realise it gives a crap ton of warning with the sounds and the zooming out of the camera, so its not of too much consequence but I was wondering.

lol I got ninjad hard

but can you break down that overly wordy explanation into something easier to take in?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
is the turning on frigate random or are the flips on a timed schedule?

I realise it gives a crap ton of warning with the sounds and the zooming out of the camera, so its not of too much consequence but I was wondering.

lol I got ninjad hard

but can you break down that overly wordy explanation into something easier to take in?
I'll try to simplify it the best I can.

Between 7:27 and 7:17 it is extremely likely to flip.

If this happens, you get a type 2 schedule, which means Frigate will spend a LOT of time on phase 2.

From there the prediction is simple. 30-40 seconds after the flip, either the lights go off, or the stage flips again.

If the lights go out, they're off for 30 seconds, then you wait 30-40 seconds, then either it flips or switches the lights again.

If it flips, it is extremely likely to flip back after 25 seconds. Then there's the 30-40 second gap, then another event.

NOTE: Frigate has given me one or two test runs where it basically flipped me off and did whatever the **** it felt like. It's pretty easy to predict, but it likes to screw around a bit.

Top Bottom