• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Recommended Rule Set 3.1

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Yeah, because you clearly know why the people who ban this stage at tourneys banned it.
...but Raziek does. And he just said it's was because people decided it was annoying.

O_o

I know how you love to pop in places and criticize people with one liners, but this was just trying too hard.

Chuee

Smash Hero
No, it wasn't.
They're assuming that everyone that bans this stage bans it because of it being annoying.
I bet the TOs that ban it have reasons other than "Its annoying" for them to ban it.
EDIT:
BPC lmfao.
I don't use ANY of the characters I played you with seriously.
Not to mention we live halfway across the world from each other.
But you still lost to my snake bro.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
No, it wasn't.
They're assuming that everyone that bans this stage bans it because of it being annoying.
I bet the TOs that ban it have reasons other than "Its annoying" for them to ban it.
EDIT:
BPC lmfao.
I don't use ANY of the characters I played you with seriously.
Not to mention we live halfway across the world from each other.
But you still lost to my snake bro.
No, I'm pretty sure Raziek is talking about why the BR listed it as ban.

Or am I just wrong in thinking Raziek is a BR member?

Chuee

Smash Hero
Raziek isn't part of BBR.
And I highly doubt the BR listed it as ban because "Its annoying".

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Custom stages would solve a lot of problems. If only it was easier for people to practice on them at their own homes...or is it easy? I don't know. But it would be pretty cool to be able to do so.

Hell, even Halo uses custom stages. Granted, it's very easy to gain access to custom maps in that game, but they still do it.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can just build them yourself? It's not like they're going to be massive pictures of link shooting fire arrows that use a bunch of complicated parts.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Actually guys...

GUYS.

PS2's treadmill section gives characters MORE options.

This is my selling point on PS2 in general.
They don't inhibit play like PS1 does, they actually extend it.

Air transformation is one that is ultimately sketchy in that regard.
But do you realise that the air is still good on it? Not even if you can stall!
During the air transformation you fall slowly everywhere; You always have the option to move backwards, ALWAYS. There isn't a limit to how far you can be pushed back in the air. Air transformation actually extends how much commitment a player can have in their movements; the "danger" time is whilst you're naturally rising from your first jump from the ground, someone in the air is outside most character's ground range completely (really, sh with a character, no ones up tilting you or upsmashing you once you reach the apex.. mk shuttle loop is like... the only move... and the move is outright impossible to gimp you on this stage anyway). It's why sonic is really dangerous on this transformation, he can move anywhere in this transformation faster than ANY OTHER CHARACTER. Down, up, left, right; in the air, on the ground. No you're not "optionless", but my god if you aren't scared against sonic on this transformation you're not playing dem sonics.

Eh I've played on this stage a lot recently.
I used to have it banned purely because I and many in my scene found it annoying/didn't like it, etc

I've put a ton of hours playing, researching, and building strategies for this stage. Because of the extent of skill sets needed to play on this stage, it's use as a counter pick is 'silly', you have a noticeable advantage against someone who doesn't know how to use this stage. When you have two players who know how to use it well... I see it as nothing more than one of the most neutral stages in the game.

Let me talk about treadmill options.
1. Any movement you do to get back on stage can then be "ledge cancelled" into something.
If you do a standard get up attack, or get up most of the time you'll be pushed back onto the ledge. However, holding down allows you to by pass instantly grabbing the ledge and you get yourself a free aerial. Get up attack + fair on marth; uber legit unless your opponent outranges it.

2. Commitment in edge guarding on the treadmill results in a general reset.
What's super gay about being on a ledge against MK? Personally... it's forward smash.

From my playing on the stage in general, mk's edge guarding options are pretty much just down air. Anything else requires commitment that you can take advantage of to get back on stage.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Actually guys...

GUYS.

PS2's treadmill section gives characters MORE options.

This is my selling point on PS2 in general.
They don't inhibit play like PS1 does, they actually extend it.

Air transformation is one that is ultimately sketchy in that regard.
But do you realise that the air is still good on it? Not even if you can stall!
During the air transformation you fall slowly everywhere; You always have the option to move backwards, ALWAYS. There isn't a limit to how far you can be pushed back in the air. Air transformation actually extends how much commitment a player can have in their movements; the "danger" time is whilst you're naturally rising from your first jump from the ground, someone in the air is outside most character's ground range completely (really, sh with a character, no ones up tilting you or upsmashing you once you reach the apex.. mk shuttle loop is like... the only move... and the move is outright impossible to gimp you on this stage anyway). It's why sonic is really dangerous on this transformation, he can move anywhere in this transformation faster than ANY OTHER CHARACTER. Down, up, left, right; in the air, on the ground. No you're not "optionless", but my god if you aren't scared against sonic on this transformation you're not playing dem sonics.

Eh I've played on this stage a lot recently.
I used to have it banned purely because I and many in my scene found it annoying/didn't like it, etc

I've put a ton of hours playing, researching, and building strategies for this stage. Because of the extent of skill sets needed to play on this stage, it's use as a counter pick is 'silly', you have a noticeable advantage against someone who doesn't know how to use this stage. When you have two players who know how to use it well... I see it as nothing more than one of the most neutral stages in the game.

Let me talk about treadmill options.
1. Any movement you do to get back on stage can then be "ledge cancelled" into something.
If you do a standard get up attack, or get up most of the time you'll be pushed back onto the ledge. However, holding down allows you to by pass instantly grabbing the ledge and you get yourself a free aerial. Get up attack + fair on marth; uber legit unless your opponent outranges it.

2. Commitment in edge guarding on the treadmill results in a general reset.
What's super gay about being on a ledge against MK? Personally... it's forward smash.

From my playing on the stage in general, mk's edge guarding options are pretty much just down air. Anything else requires commitment that you can take advantage of to get back on stage.
But see that's just my reasoning for why should be further down than a 5 stage starter list: it extends the possibilities of gameplay. I don't have any doubt that it could be a starter, especially when the likes of Delfino and Halberd can be counted as starters, but I just do not think that a stage that extends gameplay to such an extent should reside in a 5 stage list.

What are counterpicks supposed to represent? It is my belief that they are there to give a player who has lost a chance to play on a stage that he or she excels at, and I think that this extends past just the surface advantage of "my character does well there." Counterpicks should be stages not only rely on character strengths, but should be stages in which a greater amount of knowledge on how to abuse the stages unique features give a player an advantage over his opponent. PS2 fits perfectly into this category, yet is also closer to starter material than the others, which is why I say it could be a starter, yes, but only in stater stage lists of 7 stages or more.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i am loving the discussion in this thread.

Its making me think about things I very much took for granted up until now.

Except for chuee, that kid can suck a fat one.

and for the record, I as a TO banned PS2 for no reason other than the people coming to my tourney voiced their minds that they didnt like it and thought it annoying, and I didnt care about it enough to keep it legal in spite of this.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

and for the record, I as a TO banned PS2 for no reason other than the people coming to my tourney voiced their minds that they didnt like it and thought it annoying, and I didnt care about it enough to keep it legal in spite of this.
I like it too :) I don't know why I never joined any discussion on the second ruleset, guess I was just too fresh when I came across it...

lilseph

Smash Ace
The TO for my region (T-Block) ofter argues that PS2 is a very good stage and could very well be neutral. None of us really take him seriously because the first thought that comes to mind is "oh its PS2, ****ty stage because i don't like it." Thats not the kind of attitude we should be taking to this stage, in fact Shaya your post has inlightened me to what PS2 is really like. I'm no expert when it comes to stages but i sure can agree with PS2 as a possible neutral.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I also used to hate PS2 for no reason and I thought it was ******** into the levels of Summit.
After playing a couple or serious matches on it I realized it's a **** fantastic stage for competitive play. Due to the large difference in the mechanics of the transformation, no character has the constant advantage. The air transformation makes both players fall slowly. The ice makes everyone except IC slide more. The treadmills cause everyone to move on them. The ground part has many platforms to avoid the wall ****. And the default stage is just perfect.

NNID
Budget_Player

You really shouldn't do that. If the people coming to your tourney voiced their mind about Falco being stupid and gay and cheap and wanted him banned, would you ban him? No, of course not, because they are merely being whining scrubs. It's your duty not to bow down to them, but to educate them and show them why they're wrong. >.<

Also, why does stage interactiveness even play a role at all in the starter list? When you're looking for the most balanced stage for a matchup and PS2 happens to be very balanced for almost every matchup (even moreso than Smashville or YI), it doesn't belong tentatively in the 7-stage starter list, it belongs squarely in the 3-stage starter list. The number of hazards shouldn't matter, why should it?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
BPC, I'm going to humbly request that you cut the insults in all your future posts.
There was no need to "look down" on him at all. wtf.

Friendly discussion turns bitter with posts/attitudes like that. I'll consider future instances like that just flat out trolling/flaming.

I do agree with what you said though on how starters are meant to work.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
There is a huge difference with Falco being cheap to scrubs and PS2 being awkward to the majority of players.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
For some reason, i don't see BPC changing his ways anytime soon.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
BPC is fine as he is. He is most of the time correct. Everyone seems to be very biased about him. He is a real debater person, throwing real arguments. His weakness is the lack of experience, but he is usually saying the same stuff as you are, except just saying it in a better and nicer way.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
BPC is fine as he is. He is most of the time correct. Everyone seems to be very biased about him. He is a real debater person, throwing real arguments. His weakness is the lack of experience, but he is usually saying the same stuff as you are, except just saying it in a better and nicer way.
Lol. me and BPC hardly ever agree, and when we do his arguments are hardly ... up to standards, and usually involve calling people scrubs and complaining about the community as a whole. That's not a legitimate argument, nor "better and nicer".

Never been given a good way to do so. A little bit of ******* goes a long way, although I did revise my last post because it was going a little too far.
I don't think anyone has ever appreciated it. You get more hate just for how your arguments are phrased and presented than your actual stance on said argument. People would respect and listen to you more if your posts didn't look like giant troll attempts, because right now it would be just as effective if you inserted a trollface picture at the end of all of them.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
He hasn't ever said you are scrubs, he has just pointed out that you are wrong and why.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You really shouldn't do that. If the people coming to your tourney voiced their mind about Falco being stupid and gay and cheap and wanted him banned, would you ban him? No, of course not, because they are merely being whining scrubs. It's your duty not to bow down to them, but to educate them and show them why they're wrong. >.<
You are partially correct. Would it be fair to ban falco with out reasoning because of complaining community? No. Of course not. But as a TO, It is also my responsibility to make sure that everyone in attendance has the best time possible. And if banning a stage that at the time, nobody is going to want to play on anyway is going to help with that, than at the time, it was an acceptable sacrifice.

Also, you have to realise the situation in my region.
I live in Upstate NY, and the closest other region to us is the tristate area. so most of my people were moving closer and closer to trying to adopt the new jersey stage list. Ultraconserative. And I was the guy who would force people to play stages that most people werent open minded enough to even take a look at. Im basically known as that stupid kid that has hanenbow legal in doubles at his tournaments. And Im frequently the one who has to explain the validity of these stages to the majority of my region. When Im fighting with so many people, I cant win every battle.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Run a tournament yourself, itll make it much easier to understand.

Tournaments are events for the people, they are not used as only a means to make money or stroke your ego. So when people say, Im not coming to this tourney unless you take some of the stages off, then you have cater to your entrants and make some sacrifices.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Where did I get that idea then...idk
Probably because I make smart, generally well thought-out posts on a variety of subjects in both tactical and stage discussion. xD

*toots own horn*

Also, I've decided to run PS2 as a starter at my next tournament.

Gonna go with these starters:

FD
BF
YI
SV
Lylat
PS1
PS2
Halberd
Castle Siege

T-block

B2B TST
The TO for my region (T-Block) ofter argues that PS2 is a very good stage and could very well be neutral. None of us really take him seriously because the first thought that comes to mind is "oh its PS2, ****ty stage because i don't like it." Thats not the kind of attitude we should be taking to this stage, in fact Shaya your post has inlightened me to what PS2 is really like. I'm no expert when it comes to stages but i sure can agree with PS2 as a possible neutral.
looooool... sup Kyle <3

I know how it feels, K.I.D. I used to be a lot more adamant and insistent about all of this, being completely stubborn isn't always the best choice, no matter how right you think you are. Balancing act, etc. etc.

BBQTV

Smash Master
i just wanna throw this out there, just because a stage can be picked doesn't mean it will

Top Bottom