• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Matchup Chart v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Pikachu can footstool you off of any uair, and it's not like you're going to be SDIing them all perfectly.
Umm, yeah, any Uair where you are close enough that the Footstool won't end before you touch the ground. Yes, It's more scary when it's random, but if you aren't perfectly SDiing the Uair out of Dthrow, you are bad. Very bad. It's like not SDIing Falco's Dair out of chaingrab when he is putting you offstage, or Marths GR Dair on MK.

Also, have you ever even played a Pikachu? Lol my practice partner and doubles teammate for the entirety of brawl is a piachu

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
And yours is a dog. Oh, and it has fire.

Damn, nobody's ever done that before.
Wait.
WAIT.
An elemental animal in a game about elemental animals?
you might be onto something here.

1st gen pokemon creators did

OH SNAPPPP
fox =/= dog, last i checked.

"It's automatically better because it's the original/what I grew up on!"
Nah, growlithe automatically better because ... he is.
being 1st gen has nothing to do with it.

btw, your avatar is a spirit in a household appliance.
obviously the definition of originality.

Umm, yeah, any Uair where you are close enough that the Footstool won't end before you touch the ground. Yes, It's more scary when it's random, but if you aren't perfectly SDiing the Uair out of Dthrow, you are bad. Very bad. It's like not SDIing Falco's Dair out of chaingrab when he is putting you offstage, or Marths GR Dair on MK.

Also, have you ever even played a Pikachu? Lol my practice partner and doubles teammate for the entirety of brawl is a piachu
Not sure why i need to fight a pikachu to be able to realize SDIing something 100% of the time is unrealistic.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Not sure why i need to fight a pikachu to be able to realize SDIing something 100% of the time is unrealistic.
If you don't have experience with something, you can't really accurately judge it.

Again, I don't perfectly SDI all Uairs, but I basically never fail to SDI Guaranteed ones. And without a setup, it isn't reliable. How hard to understand is this?

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Wait.
WAIT.
An elemental animal in a game about elemental animals?
you might be onto something here.
If you gave an eight year old male child a pen and paper after explaining the concept of a game about elemental animals, I'd venture to say it's nearly guaranteed that he'd draw you a flaming dog.

fox =/= dog, last i checked.
"Fox is a common name for many species of omnivorous mammals belonging to the Canidae family." --Wikipedia

You're beat, sons.

Nah, growlithe automatically better because ... he is.
being 1st gen has nothing to do with it.
So if Growlithe came out in 2010/2011 instead of 1998, he'd be just as cool to you as he is now? Probably not. It's only natural for people to display bias toward things from their childhood.

btw, your avatar is a spirit in a household appliance.
obviously the definition of originality.
When you put it next to Sparky the fiery puppy, sure.

He's saying that after a dthrow, you should just do the SDI inputs anyway in case he uairs because there's no better option.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Why do you consider Falco to be worse than MK/Fox out of curiosity?

I'm a bit curious about ICs only being -1, along with DK being 0.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's ****ing 1st gen Doom. If you can't admit that the best gen was either 1-2, then yeah you gay and like the peepee.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
*shrugs*

It's understandable, but I didn't think the bombs would pull it that close to even. Sure he has bombs and in theory boomerang to disrupt the ICs, but I couldn't think of much else in the way of tools.

Guess it's kinda the same boat as Ike vs ICs where Ike/Link have a few tools that really screw over the ICs. Except Ike has more. Cool.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Why is Fox so bad for Link compared to other characters you listed in -2? I'd think the hyrulian shield alone can block Fox's lasers. And hurricane boomerange I'd think would **** up a bunch of ****. And he is very heavy.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Actually I agree with most of his numbers for Link. The -2 vs Yoshi is the one I can't understand.

:059:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Why is Fox so bad for Link compared to other characters you listed in -2? I'd think the hyrulian shield alone can block Fox's lasers. And hurricane boomerange I'd think would **** up a bunch of ****. And he is very heavy.
We outspeed him, gimp him like Fox was MK, shield blocks only for so long, he probably dies from Usmash around 110%, boomerang sucks, arrows suck, he isn't TL so his bombs don't work as effectively, super slow in the air, and ground.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Point is that using this match-up chart to justify a match-up number or solidify it as "accurate" is just dumb, Polt. It's not even about bashing the project.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Can you come up with a better way of doing this, then? This project involved the top players of each character (for the most part) who know about their characters and their match-ups inside out. Therefore, this chart should represent match-ups as they are in top-level play. Sure, there may be some inaccuracies, but I don't think it's justified to call the entire chart "awful."

Laem

Smash Champion
lmao @ fox being worse than d3 for link and iblis apparently defending that statement.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
This project involved the top players of each character (for the most part) who know about their characters and their match-ups inside out. Therefore, this chart should represent match-ups as they are in top-level play. Sure, there may be some inaccuracies, but I don't think it's justified to call the entire chart "awful."

Ignoring the fact that almost all of the characters in this game don't even have a top level player to begin with [and if they do it's usually the wrong characters like Sonic, ZSS or Ike] I doubt that they know everything about their character or his match-ups. It's the entitlement of this chart to represent top-level play yet the vast majority of players who were discussing or used as reference for this chart are nowhere near "top" level play.

I'm not even complaining about the chart's inaccuracy. It's a solid effort based on various sources focused together in this project. But don't go around pretending that "numerous top level player" or "top players for each character" were involved because these players do not exist. It's a weak attempt to justify the flaws of this chart by merely referring to the players involved. I'd be a lot more pleased if you actually had the guts to admit that 50% of the match-ups you just flat-out had no clue about because the best players who represent the match-up aren't even that good at this game.

And if there actually *is* a good amount of data involved with high- and top-level player like Fox vs MK you choose to disregard this and proceed to assign an incorrect number anyway.

You can refer to this chart of the beginning of something that could possibly - and hopefully - become a good piece of work but you can't use it in its current state to justify an inaccurate match-up number [which I believe to be the case regarding Yoshi vs Link].

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Two things I don't understand with that post:

Ignoring the fact that almost all of the characters in this game don't even have a top level player to begin with [and if they do it's usually the wrong characters like Sonic, ZSS or Ike]
First, you say that almost all the characters in this game don't have a top player. However, you then contradict yourself by saying that there are some top players playing the wrong characters (as if they should be focusing on only the top characters or something). Do you not want these characters to have top players? :confused:

You can refer to this chart of the beginning of something that could possibly - and hopefully - become a good piece of work but you can't use it in its current state to justify an inaccurate match-up number [which I believe to be the case regarding Yoshi vs Link].
Which is the original point I didn't get. Yoshi vs. Link is solidly a +2 for Yoshi... >.>

In any case, this is a V1.0 for a reason. It'll be improved in the future. As it stands, though, this chart serves as a good reference point for discussing match-ups.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
It's ****ing 1st gen Doom. If you can't admit that the best gen was either 1-2, then yeah you gay and like the peepee.
Dude, I ****ing love the peepee.

Gen2 is my favorite designwise, I'd say, followed by 1/3/5 in some order, then gen4. Regardless, just because it's my favorite doesn't mean it's the best. :p

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
First, you say that almost all the characters in this game don't have a top player. However, you then contradict yourself by saying that there are some top players playing the wrong characters (as if they should be focusing on only the top characters or something). Do you not want these characters to have top players? :confused:
You are not this stupid.

You know what I mean.

Which is the original point I didn't get. Yoshi vs. Link is solidly a +2 for Yoshi... >.>
And what do you base this on other than theorycrafting?

It'll be improved in the future.
Good

As it stands, though, this chart serves as a good reference point for discussing match-ups.
No

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
We outspeed him, gimp him like Fox was MK, shield blocks only for so long, he probably dies from Usmash around 110%, boomerang sucks, arrows suck, he isn't TL so his bombs don't work as effectively, super slow in the air, and ground.
links that can DI (aka any link) doesn't die from usmash until 125ish. it's crazy just how good link's DI really is. if his recovery wasn't balls he'd be SOOOO much better. but it's just so easy to gimp the poor *******....

Tagxy

Smash Lord
If you don't have experience with something, you can't really accurately judge it.

Again, I don't perfectly SDI all Uairs, but I basically never fail to SDI Guaranteed ones. And without a setup, it isn't reliable. How hard to understand is this?
Wat.

Theres like, one pikachu in existance who can do this.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
also on the whole yoshi vs link, tbh perfectly honest there may like, 1 near top level link in the US. all the best links are from europe. so unless they come over here and you play them polt, honestly there is no valid claim of link in the US being a top level player and thus the true match up numbers for link are unknown on a lot of MUs

quote myself and pulse131 on a fine summer's day, "if you lose to link, regardless of how close the match was, you got *****"

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
also on the whole yoshi vs link, tbh perfectly honest there may like, 1 near top level link in the US. all the best links are from europe. so unless they come over here and you play them polt, honestly there is no valid claim of link in the US being a top level player and thus the true match up numbers for link are unknown on a lot of MUs

quote myself and pulse131 on a fine summer's day, "if you lose to link, regardless of how close the match was, you got *****"
What? All the best Links are from Europe? Who? Izaw? The guy who only posts up matches Link can win against? I never see him vs high tiers like D3, Snake, Diddy, or Mk. Yet, we have Legan and Kirinblaze playing some hard *** bull**** matchups and prove themselves in tourney.

You always say things never backed up by anything and without thinking everytime lmao.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The only one in EU who can be argued to play Link at top level is Mr-R imo. I wouldn't be surprised if his Link was better than anybody else's in the USA to be honest.
I think that Smasher from Japan has the best Link overall.

I do agree with your core message though: *If* there is somebody who plays Link at top level in the USA and *if* there is somebody who plays Yoshi at top level in the USA and if they have played the match-up against each other numerous times only then you can rightfully claim to have a solid basis for your match-up. Throwing out statements like "Yoshi beats Link +2 because of XY" means nothing out of the mouth of a Yoshi player who possibly doesn't even know what a really well played Link looks like.

Edit: Izaw's Link is pretty good but he doesn't play Link that much anymore I think [at least in tourney]. It's no wonder you won't see him playing vs S- and A-Tier characters because no Link plays them. Why do you think Legan doesn't use Link mainly in tourney anymore? For the same reasons Izaw doesn't. What amazing win does Kirin have with Link? I thought he was mainly known for his Mario [which I believe to be the best in the USA at least].
Asking for the accomplishments of a Link player is like asking a beggar about his income.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
*shrugs*

It's understandable, but I didn't think the bombs would pull it that close to even. Sure he has bombs and in theory boomerang to disrupt the ICs, but I couldn't think of much else in the way of tools.

Guess it's kinda the same boat as Ike vs ICs where Ike/Link have a few tools that really screw over the ICs. Except Ike has more. Cool.
Basically, except Ike is a much better character than Link lol. Link would win if wasn't such a generally bad character, but alas...

Wat.

Theres like, one pikachu in existance who can do this.
Just because somebody can't travel doesn't mean they don't exist. Never seen someone who is really good with their character, but bad a brawl (think all not top Diddy/ICs mains)? That's my friend lol

Also, gen 2 is the best, although 1 can be argued as well.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Actually Link's recovery isn't his only problem. His camping is very beatable and doesn't do much damage, his OoS sucks because of his slow jump and horrible grab, almost all of his moves (except Zair) are unsafe on shield and his close range combat is also pretty bad because of his lack of quick enough moves. Link just sucks because he's too slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom