• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

tw1n

Smash Champion
(8:28:38 PM) xroflmaowtfx: I go to play Melee with Axe
(8:28:50 PM) xroflmaowtfx: And the dude says, "You come here all the time! Here's one for free."
(8:29:02 PM) xroflmaowtfx: I said, "MAAAAAAAN! WHAT I LOOK LIKE? A CHARITY CASE?"
(8:29:16 PM) xroflmaowtfx: I TOOK IT AND THREW IT ON THE GROOOUUUUUUNDDDD!
(8:29:20 PM) xroflmaowtfx: I DON'T NEED YOUR HANDOUTS
(8:29:24 PM) xroflmaowtfx: I'M AN ADULT
(8:29:25 PM) xroflmaowtfx: PLEASE
(8:29:31 PM) xroflmaowtfx: YOU CAN'T BUY ME, AXE
Dude.... win!

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
yeah i was hoping i wasn't the only one who noticed that LOLLL

GET REALLY AMAZING
STAY FREE

Corigames

Smash Hero
I started in 06 and dropped out in '08, I'm still paying off loans. Did you play in Cuban's at all in 07? I might know you.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
I actually did play Melee pretty often at Cuban Pete's, but not so much during '07 as I did during '04-'06. I was also pretty famous at the school for pulling all nighters/sleeping underneath computer desks in the computer commons, lol (this was before the dorms were created). While I do not recall seeing you at the school, you did nevertheless look familiar when I saw you for the first time at a Tucson tourney, haha.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm hardly recognizable from the time I was at UAT to how I appear now, though. Well... imo...

More importantly, what Character and tag did you use?
Me: Samus - SA-X

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Back then, I alternated between Luis/Sehm/Card. And Dr. Mario & Pichu were my specialties. :) I was probably like 5th or 6th best at the school while I was there- UAT had a ridiculous amount of skilled players. :o

k9.

Smash Ace
@Xander What kyle did to me is made me want to kick his *** every time i lost until i did it. I didn't have peach practice i just had to think about how i could win in every possible way. Think about his play style/ Situations he sets up and how he reacts to how i approach.

You can get really in to depth if you use your mind, i think at the level your at in this game, its not playing the game anymore its thinking about it. I went threw the same thing, "i need to practice and play the game". Not really just expand your mind a little more.

I watched you play your tech skill is good and your fast that is all that matters. Believe in yourself.

@Kyle your funny as hell and i love you Negro.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
My tech looks good because you're inexperienced. I'm extremely inconsistent with even basic tech, and crumble easily to pressure. I also have pretty Significantly below average reaction time.

All of my problems stem from not playing people who make me feel pressured, and people who aren't able to help me practice my weak points. All of my weaknesses as a player require interraction from someone goose to my skill level, which is impossible.

Hence why I'm saying **** the Arizona community, and quitting competitive play. I've played this game for far too long, expecting experience to make a difference, but this community is such *** that it's not going to matter.

:phone:

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
All I hear are johns. I've gotten better fighting people who were not as good as me. Max is a good example of that. Stfu Xander, you have great tech skill. I definitely think it's your mindset that needs work

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Kyle your biggest improvements come only when you enter tournaments, amd play with me/Chris. Max does close to nothing for you as a player.

You don't understand how to play falco either, so I'd suggest you just keep your thoughts to yourself. You THINK I have good tech, but in reality, I don't. I'm inconsistent.

tw1n

Smash Champion
I just think that you are johning to cover up the true problem. Whether it is denial or just an open faced lie, it doesn't matter. Silly Kyle couldn't just solely be improving from tournament play. Alot of that stems from practice, patience and having the proper mindset.

If you want to quit, then do it. If you want to get better, stop making up excuses. Axe practices his tech skill every day to keep it sharp. Yet even he makes mistakes. Maybe you just need to practice more by yourself.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
The underlying factor behind my inconsistency is because I don't have people to play with who can make me feel pressure, twin. Don't act like you understand my own unique problems with smash.

I want to continue smash, but Tucson has such an awful community, that it's discouraging, and I don't enjoy myself.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Kyle your biggest improvements come only when you enter tournaments, amd play with me/Chris. Max does close to nothing for you as a player.

You don't understand how to play falco either, so I'd suggest you just keep your thoughts to yourself. You THINK I have good tech, but in reality, I don't. I'm inconsistent.
The underlying factor behind my inconsistency is because I don't have people to play with who can make me feel pressure, twin. Don't act like you understand my own unique problems with smash.

I want to continue smash, but Tucson has such an awful community, that it's discouraging, and I don't enjoy myself.

You're completely wrong when you say Max has done close to nothing for me as a player. He's gotten better playing me, and as a result, I've gotten better playing him. Yes, I do improve at tournaments. But I have to practice with someone before I go to them.

I may not "understand" how to play Falco as well as I should, but it doesn't stop me from winning against Falco players. Even with your inconsistency, your tech skill is extremely good. You just crumble under pressure sometimes and your mindset holds you back.

If you don't like the community and you're not enjoying yourself, maybe you should quit and find something that you have fun doing.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Be happy you have a community to practice with Xander, on the real. At least you have "people" to play with in general. I keep up with the community with tech practice, and with playing Seabass (or if someone from Tucson visits) but thats' like once every other month or so.

I know I've told you this before, but I've been able to maintain and keep up with much of the community with little, to no practice from others. Angel is in a familiar boat as well, and his abilities are amazing also.
Just because Max isn't as good of a player that is to "your" liking, doesn't mean he hasn't helped develop Kyle's game. Each player has a unique, different approach to how they improve. Even if I play with a player that may/may not be as good as I am, I always learn more just in terms of spacing.

Seabass isn't quite up to my abilities yet, yet I've learned so much off of him, in terms of spacing, movement etc.. sure bad habits creep around here and there, because they work on "certain players" however that doesn't take away the fact that something was developed..

You yourself Xander, have gotten better, sure you may or may not appreciate it.. and perhaps you're upset that SK has seemed to improve more than you, or that other players can improve with little practice or people to play with etc... either way there's no excuse..and you have to find out what works for you that's all. It's fine that you want/need guidance to help you get there, but don't blame it on others just because you can't find your way to improvement.

Also, maybe you're right you could be at your limit, and will never EVER improve again, and if that's what you wanna believe, then you should do that, I mean it's what you're doing right now, and just blaming others, but hey what would I know, not like i've ever been there...right? Or Tai, Taj, Forward, Axe, Wobbles, or any of AZ's best

I'm very nervous to find out how good I'd have become if I had people to play with, but ever Since Axe moved away, I most likely won't find that out, however I still have to do what I must to keep up with the community, and with the very little practice I get, I still can hang with the best of them.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Kyle, whenever I play you, I are close.to zero.improvement from you. I only see you improve either when me/jackie point out flaws in your play, and you have the opportunity to fix those issues, or when you fight against people at you/me/Tai level, or better.

@Tim: I'm not.you. I get nervous easily, and I don't understand the timings to a lot of things related to shield stun. I also have awful spacing. none of this can be practiced on my own, and the people I play with aren't good enough to force me.in to the situations I'm uncomfortable with outside of Kyle, and okami when he feels like playing gay.

What else do.I have to.do.to make.it.clear that I NEED to play better people, more often if I'm ever going to.get better.
Oh and if I enjoyed other things I probably wouldn't be here. I'm sick of Tucson.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
I get nervous easily, and I don't understand the timings to a lot of things related to shield stun. I also have awful spacing. none of this can be practiced on my own
You can practice shield-stun and spacing **** on your own (well, at least I can). For example, when I want to learn the timing to jump oos after shielding a certain move, I experiment to figure out how to lure a CPU into performing that move on my shield, and then hold C-up when the hitbox connects, that way the jump is buffered and comes out on the first possible frame. Then once I feel like I have that frame timing memorized, I start trying to jump on that same frame using Y instead so I can short-hop, or alternate between C-up and Y to try to get the right timing.

I can also practice spacing by setting up a doubles battle with three lvl. whatevers, turning team attack on, and trying to hit the opponents without hitting my teammate. I learned to space my nairs by putting a lvl. 7 Samus on my team ('cause that ***** gets in the way every single ****ing time) and got to the point where I could nair the people she was upBing without hitting her. I'm currently experimenting with practicing Falcon short-hop -> uair with the A button (which I just recently figured out how to do) vs. a lvl. 7 Dorf: I'm trying to figure out if he's upBing me because I'm mis-spacing or because his upB has priority to see if practicing it against him is worthwhile. I'd imagine there's probably some magical CPU at some magical level that can help you practice Falco's spacing, too.

While I admit that I improve the most when I play people at my level, it is possible to practice a lot of things at home, you just have to be really creative sometimes. I improved my comboing with Falcon by using Mario on my friends who are not on my level because a lot of the strategies are similar (like dodging approaches and countering with nair, chaining fair/dair -> jc-grab at low %, chaining uairs, edgeguarding with bairs, etc.) and because playing Mario put me in an uncomfortable and unfamiliar situation. Maybe you could practice things like shine oos by playing Puff and trying to rest oos (which is similar but much harder), or figure out some other combination of input/character selection that helps you practice while making you uncomfortable. Just ... be creative. There are ways out there to practice tons of stuff at home, they just might not be obvious. I may or may not have a great enough understanding of Falco/Melee in general to help you come up with effective practice strategies for a player of your caliber, but I would definitely welcome the chance to experiment with you (and possibly even improve myself), so chat me on fb if you are interested (just not today/tonight, I have hw and class).

Also, no one's gonna play you if you keep telling them that you're sick of them. You're kind of digging your own grave on that front.

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
@ Cori & Frosty

Sean (Forward) B: I bet if you smoke, you'll get really hungry and probably have 'revelations'
Me: Like what? OMG I'll never be good at smash! But I already knew that.
Sean: That's why you gotta play marvel! It has more cheap bullsh*t! :D
Me: Dude, I already play Sheik...

<3

Corigames

Smash Hero
Lol, yesterday at work this lady brought back a defective cookie, so I got to eat it.
Today, my manager bought a sandwich for me for no reason.

I've only been practicing Sheik for a little bit and I'm already getting stuff for free.

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
Win.

Sandwiches are good, especially JJ's. But you still gotta work your way up to a double steak burrito ;)

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
I agree with Xander that shield stun stuff is basically impossible on your own. I also agree that his tech skill is pretty bad LOL. My 1-3 month rusty tech skill is better than his and that's kinda sad.

Xander in all actuality is maddest that I live 5 mins away and don't play.

....>_>

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah wtf, why is xander mad at kyle and rob when they both live on opposite ends of the city (for kyle, multiplied by 2). THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT SPENCER!
sort of jk

Corigames

Smash Hero
Lolol you guys
Xander: you aren't going to guilt trip them into playing with you. Stop trying, it just pushes people away more.
others: why don't you post your schedules so that you cam see when you share some free time.
Coty: train me so that my freeness will rise to all new levels.

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, I neglected all of the other conversation on here.

Xander: Your tech skill is amazing. As a former Fox and Falco main who spent a depressing amount of time working on tech skill, I can say with complete confidence that your technical skill is objectively good. Of course you have a problem with nerves, that is nothing new to you or anybody else (as in, we know you have nerves and a lot of us struggle with them as well). Wanting to quit the game because you don't get the kind of practice you need/want is fair I think, but that hasn't stopped you. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, and I'd be okay with that as long as you still came to tournaments to hang out :) Also, I apologize for not being there for you more at NYTE, I truly did watch a lot of your matches, but from afar. I admit I spent more time than may have been necessary cheering for Tai, but that's because he's like my little brother and I've seen him when he's on his game, it's pretty amazing. I will also john myself out by saying that I don't think my cheering helps anybody because I'm not as intense as someone like Tony lol (but then again, who can compare to Tony in this area? I think none). I was super sad for you when you lost to Brad, not because I wanted you to win over him (I've known him for way too long to cheer against him) but because I know how disappointing it is to SD on your last stock (See my last set with Chris, it's how BOTH of the matches I lost ended
johns

Cori: Nahhh, you don't want to sell your soul, do you? Besides, I'll be playing Marvel all summer :p

New main coming soon, also ;)

Edit:

Spencer: Dude MY tech skill is probably better than yours right now LOL, step the f*ck down

Top Bottom