• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
My favorite part about talking about Forward is that he can't name search :troll:

Lol @ Joey telling other people to watch their anger. Poor Joey feeling lonely on Thanksgiving in NY and posting in the AZ thread. We miss you too Joey.

I entered the tournament, does my DK belong on the ranking yet?

:phone:
you lost to frosty, angel, and silly kyle
so you'll either be #10 or honorable mention
;)

You have Jeff who can't get a day off because of how anal his work is about requesting days off and then you have Rob who was completely oblivious to that we even have tournaments REGULARLY.

Sounds pretty legit if you ask me. And I'd agree with Tai. That is the exact reason that attendance doesn't ALWAYS mean ****. Just because Sean went to the ONE tournament and because he played Melee with me last night doesn't mean he's going to full time get back into it or that he should matter because he will never travel out of state again or be part of the major scene again. If you guys hadn't noticed in fact Sean only went to win money LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
i enjoy this post.

it's a perfect example of what i meant when i said "not everything in the world has to be ruled by the iron fist of bureaucracy."

if we were to be so simplistic and strict about local attendance, then we'd be setting up a bureaucratic system that worked against what you'd want to accomplish. we would end up ranking forward and not ranking axe.... which, if you were to actually evaluate the situation of activity, you'd understand is an absolute joke.

bubz

Smash Rookie
thanks saved me a lot of explaining. i knew you guys wouldnt agree with me just because its me and how i word things. so there i leave this thread now KNOWING that what i thought was right.

Apathy

Smash Apprentice
Very good point. Just practice you guys. Get better and better if you want to get to the top.

I got to where I am now through hard work and practice! Not through natural talent. By no means am I a fast learner. I'm just very determined, and constantly push myself to be a top player and learn as many new things as I can to better myself.
respect

Also I practice just as often as you do, and I've played a year longer than you. That's more proof that it's just impossible for some people.

guarantee your ****ty attitude has a lot to do with it

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
respect

guarantee your ****ty attitude has a lot to do with it
I didn't start out with a bad attitude. It came from being frustrated with long periods of little to no improvement.

Not to be rude, but you really don't know anything about me as a person, and being judgmental is a quick way to make yourself look silly.

Apathy

Smash Apprentice
I didn't start out with a bad attitude. It came from being frustrated with long periods of little to no improvement.
irrelevant

you should research the keys to success. the no. 1 indicator is persistence.

you have to realize your thought processes harbor a lot of energy. you can literally rewire the way your brain is.

sounds like you're stuck in negative thought processes. maybe you even have a subconscious pull towards self-destruction. it's pretty common.

true persistence means you search every nook and cranny for a way to improve. it's you recognizing that improvement isn't a matter of possibility (can i?) but a matter of determination (will i?).

Not to be rude, but you really don't know anything about me as a person, and being judgmental is a quick way to make yourself look silly.
Look at the means which a man employs, consider his motives, observe his pleasures. A man simply cannot conceal himself!
(emphasis mine)

Corigames

Smash Hero
...if we WERE to create a "greatest players of all time" vs "best active players" dichotomy/power ranking philosophical spectrum (which is NOT what i am suggesting we do), i would lean slightly towards the "greatest players of all time" side (tl;dr: i don't like taking good players off rankings).
I still think it would be a cool idea to have that list. It could be a little group project where we place all players that competed in AZ while residents of the state in a single list. That way, I think at least, we could all feel better about having a list of the current bests.
I personally think that out-of-state tournaments should at least count for attendance, if not rankings
Have I not been using Genesis as the last tournament for a lot of people? I think it sucks that a few people don't play unless we WDOoS for a tournament in Cali.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
irrelevant

you should research the keys to success. the no. 1 indicator is persistence.

you have to realize your thought processes harbor a lot of energy. you can literally rewire the way your brain is.

sounds like you're stuck in negative thought processes. maybe you even have a subconscious pull towards self-destruction. it's pretty common.

true persistence means you search every nook and cranny for a way to improve. it's you recognizing that improvement isn't a matter of possibility (can i?) but a matter of determination (will i?).

(emphasis mine)
*Persistence.

Got that. I wouldn't still be playing, if I hadn't.

Jane

Smash Hero
love this. and when you fail, your mindset shouldn't be "i'm not cut out for this." it should be "what did i do wrong? how can i improve?"

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
love this. and when you fail, your mindset shouldn't be "i'm not cut out for this." it should be "what did i do wrong? how can i improve?"
When you go 8 months with zero improvement, it's difficult to keep this mindset.

Just sayin'.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Dammit, I didn't even see this before posting the other comment >_>
if we were to be so simplistic and strict about local attendance, then we'd be setting up a bureaucratic system that worked against what you'd want to accomplish. we would end up ranking forward and not ranking axe.... which, if you were to actually evaluate the situation of activity, you'd understand is an absolute joke.
It's an absolute joke to say that someone who played in a tournament after a long absence, and won without a doubt (even if just for the money) is somehow not honorable enough for the PR, yet someone like GG7 who hasn't played in almost 5 months, hasn't told anyone anything about his plans (at least that I'm aware of), and doesn't even comment here is still up on that list? Nice joke.

These players are amazing. They deserve all the respect/credit/honor they've earned by busting their ***, helping build this community and keeping it together, and for staying in it as long as they have. I want to achieve that greatness, and I'm not doing it by trying to force people above me off. I just want us to be honest with who the competitors in AZ are. I'm probably 20th in the state. I don't belong on the list yet, and it boils my blood to think that everyone believes this is how I want to move up the ranks. It's not. You guys are just being inconsistent with having some great AZ players on there that haven't played in a while just because they are great and keeping others off even though you could say the same thing about them. What a joke.

At Nytelyte 2 last week, I had just gotten back from eating and was playing some friendlies while waiting for pools to get posted. Elvis came over and told me that I was going to be in a pool with Okami (Or Coty) and asked me if I wanted to switch out since I always play them. I thought about it for a minute. I looked at him and said this roughly, "Nah. I don't think you should do it. I really need to just get over the matchup and learn how to beat them. Shiek kills me and it's so frustrating for me. God, it just really really sucks." Then he agreed that it sucked and walked off. Next thing I know, I've been switched out and put in a different pool that didn't have Coty or Rob in it. I didn't know what to do. I told him not to, was I unclear? I tried to ask if they did it, but no one fessed up and some people had already started their games. I felt like **** and made me feel sick for a while because I knew the tournament was rigged in my favor and I couldn't get them to admit that they had. That's bull even though I know they were just trying to help me/do me a favor. That's not fair to anyone else that day that was stuck in a bad matchup for whatever reason. That's not the reputation I want. That's not the circumstance for victory I want.

I don't want to get on the list from technicalities and bull****. I don't want to be best in state because people like me, because I'm charismatic, or something else outside of just being good at the game. That's not what I want. I don't want that. And I'll say it again if you say that's what I'm asking for again. What I'm asking for is that we make a list that shows who the current best, not the all time best, players are. My idea of current is being the big winners at the most recent tournaments. What's recent to you? Do you think 6 months is recent? 7? 10? It doesn't have to be 3-4 like I'm suggesting, I just want something a bit more clear so we aren't giving favor to some people because we feel like it.

I'm also not saying that not being on the list makes you bad. We are going to take Taj off because he asked for it, are we not? Would you not say that he would beat anyone's *** participating in this discussion? Yet, we are taking him down because he's retired/because he asked for it/because he doesn't play in tournaments. It has nothing to do with his ability to play because he, now, doesn't play. You can't be a player if you aren't playing. I'd say you aren't playing if you haven't shown up to tournaments and have no reason other than "not feeling it." I know how much it can suck to get a ride, to call off work, to find the money, to make the time, to put in the effort. It's a huge energy sink to play and you can't always make it to tournies, but being good shouldn't mean that you can flake out because you feel you deserve it. No one should expect you, Kyle, Axe, Elvis, or anyone else to just stop showing up for a good long time without warning, without reason, and without care and still keep your spots like some sort of reserved table hoping you'll come back one day. That's a joke.

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
First on the idea of 'natural talent', I wish it were as easy as saying I agree with Xander and disagree with Jeff, but there are some things that needed to be added for it to make sense. I think for someone like Xander, who has obviously put in a LOT of effort into the game and still not gotten to where he wants to go, it would be unfair to say that he just hasn't been working hard enough.

*Persistence.

Got that. I wouldn't still be playing, if I hadn't.
This is 100% true. Every still-active player that has never been among the 'best' is unfailingly persistent. Jeff, I know you worked very hard to get to where you are, but I have to say I actually laughed at you saying you practiced 2 hours a day. When I was into the game, people were surprised when I put in less than 8 hours a day (I would honestly bet all of my possessions and money that I have way more hours in the game than you), 2 hours is what I put in NOW when I'm bored before bed. At your first big tournament, you beat Jman. I don't know how to tell you this, but that reaks of natural talent. And yes, you work VERY hard for it, I would never try to cheapen that. But I think it is important that you understand that your efforts count for more than the efforts of others does. And I'm happy for you that it does, because thanks to it AND your hard work, you have gone farther than most of us ever will in the game, and it's awesome to watch you play and cheer you on.

PS: Nobody in AZ would be happy if you stopped going to tournaments. We miss you terribly as is.

To Corey. I really don't remember if it was Xander or me (Actually I think I brought it to Xander's attention and he mentioned it to Elvis) who asked Elvis to change the bracket, but I would do it again. You were rather upset after our pool at the last tournament (I distinctly remember a broken controller in my lap), and I don't blame you for being frustrated, but you need to understand that I have no desire to 1. Cause that kind of feeling to someone, 2. Play against someone that is going to suffer from the experience, or 3. Feel guilty for causing someone else pain. I know, I know, it's your problem and you'll deal with it, I would say the same thing were I in your shoes. But I have to deal with my side of things, which is I DON'T want to make people hate the game over me, or to be angry with themselves. The truth is, I really didn't want to play against you. Not in a 'Ugh, I have to play against Corey' kind of way, but in a 'I clearly cause this person pain even though I try to be a good sport, and it makes me feel like a jerk, so I'd rather not play against them'. A few months ago, I was playing with Forward, and he was trying to tell me something I should do, and I said 'Well I don't think that will work because of this...' and he got really upset with me and quit out of the game, and I instantly lost any and all desire to play. A week ago, I got bored with being DESTROYED by Wobbles and said 'eh, I'll play as Peach for funsies' and played like a Peach player, I d-smashed and did dash attacks and what-not ( <3 Kyle) and I 2-stocked him. I was amazed at how angry he got, at himself no less. I could understand his frustration, Peach is a stupid matchup for IC's, and I'm amazed that any IC's ever wins that matchup. He wasn't even angry at me (which I would honestly prefer), he was angry at himself, and again I lost the desire to play. I've felt despair over this game way too many times, I know the feeling very well. I just can't justify causing this feeling to someone else. I know all of the counter-arguments to this, I've made them to myself many times. 'You have to endure these things to get better.' 'You can't expect to have anything but the worst possible bracket and you should deal with it.' Yeah, I get it. But everybody has their limit of misery that they can wade through. I can't tell you how many tournaments that I've been eliminated from by a sub-standard Peach. I'm pretty near my limit, which is why I don't really care how I place (I honestly didn't expect to get higher than 9th, having lost to Jackie and Angel in pools at the last one), but thankfully playing with Tai and hanging out with people at the tournament is still fun for me. If those stop being fun (well really, Tai is my lifeline now) then I'll probably not have any more reasons to play.

AXE 09

Smash Master
When you go 8 months with zero improvement, it's difficult to keep this mindset.

Just sayin'.
If you go that long without any improvement, I have a feeling you might be practicing to "stay un-rusty" rather than practicing to improve. Practice is very important but you also have to have a plan for yourself when you practice. Set goals for yourself, learn new things, become more consistent at things, etc.

This is 100% true. Every still-active player that has never been among the 'best' is unfailingly persistent. Jeff, I know you worked very hard to get to where you are, but I have to say I actually laughed at you saying you practiced 2 hours a day. When I was into the game, people were surprised when I put in less than 8 hours a day (I would honestly bet all of my possessions and money that I have way more hours in the game than you), 2 hours is what I put in NOW when I'm bored before bed. At your first big tournament, you beat Jman. I don't know how to tell you this, but that reaks of natural talent. And yes, you work VERY hard for it, I would never try to cheapen that. But I think it is important that you understand that your efforts count for more than the efforts of others does. And I'm happy for you that it does, because thanks to it AND your hard work, you have gone farther than most of us ever will in the game, and it's awesome to watch you play and cheer you on.
When I say I play for at least 2 hours, that's just NOW, after playing the game for nearly 5 years. For the first 4 years or so, 8 hours was extremely normal for me to EVERY day, but then I moved further away so I basically have to train by myself. But I mean, I still basically live, breathe, sleep, and eat Melee. I think about it all the time, I'm constantly watching videos throughout the day, I always try to think about new movements and new combos that I can try out, etc.

It's funny cuz I would also bet my life savings and everything that I own that I've put in more hours to playing. I would play literally the entire day every day, only stopping for bathroom breaks/food, go to sleep, then do it all over again the next day. On days where I had school, the moment I got out of school, I would just play for the rest of the day. Even during school, I would daydream constantly about Melee and just think about ways to improve and challenges I can give to myself to practice. I even ran a Melee club at my school thanks to Vman just so we could find more Melee players willing to learn.

I can guarantee you, the amount of hours that I've put into Melee is absolutely mindblowingly ridiculous. BUT regardless if I've put in more hours, or you've put in more hours, or Xander has, or etc... What matters the most is if you PRACTICE TO IMPROVE, not practice to not be rusty. If you want fast improvement, you have to practice the "right" way (not saying that there's any particular way to practice that's "right" necessarily, but there are ways to practice things to make 100% certain that you ARE in fact improving, even if it's slowly. For example, you could waveland from the ledge 5 times in a row. Try to beat that record every day to increase that to 6, then 7, and eventually 10, then 15, etc. When you look back on it, you'll see you've become more consistent at it which means you've improved, even if it's just in 1 specific area. But you can set multiple goals at once).

I've done that method of practicing for practically everything I do (quick attacking to the ledge, double shine wavelands, shine turn around waveland bair, wavelanding from the ledge so I don't do that jump thing, pretty much everything) which might be why people consider me a "technical" player. All this might sound kinda obvious but it becomes harder to practice like this the further down the road you go, but I still do it. And because of this, I KNOW that I'm constantly improving even if it's only by 1 specific thing at a time.

TL;DR: Regardless of how many hours you've put in to practicing, I think the most important thing to remember for improving is HOW you practice, not the length of time you practice.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
A few months ago, I was playing with Forward, and he was trying to tell me something I should do, and I said 'Well I don't think that will work because of this...' and he got really upset with me and quit out of the game, and I instantly lost any and all desire to play. A week ago, I got bored with being DESTROYED by Wobbles and said 'eh, I'll play as Peach for funsies' and played like a Peach player, I d-smashed and did dash attacks and what-not ( <3 Kyle) and I 2-stocked him. I was amazed at how angry he got, at himself no less. I could understand his frustration, Peach is a stupid matchup for IC's, and I'm amazed that any IC's ever wins that matchup. He wasn't even angry at me (which I would honestly prefer), he was angry at himself, and again I lost the desire to play. I've felt despair over this game way too many times, I know the feeling very well. I just can't justify causing this feeling to someone else.
This. ^^^

Why was this thread locked?

Of course people want you to play, Jeff.

Also, I played... just not with you guys. If you don't see me play, it means I don't exist apparently.

International tourneys should carry more weight than locals. I was going to start entering locals, but I've once again changed my mind because I don't like where this is going. I just want to play for fun and play with people that WANT to and ENJOY playing with me. IF you're one of those people, keep trying to hit me up, I'll make time for you. I may even be able to teach you a thing or two.
no homo

I'll still host house tourneys for those that want to compete in the Phoenix Metro Area, if you don't show up, that's at your discretion. I'll be messing around with stage and timer rules each tourney as well.

And... I vanished.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
As long as I can play Falco and attempt to be as flashy, stylish, and gimmicky as I can possibly be, I'm down for any rule change.

...especially if it means MK2 and Flatzone are legal.

I'm starting to understand how people feel when they play with me when I get into a particularly whiny mood. It's difficult for me to play when it's obvious that I'm causing bad feelings, either from being better, or for how I play. For Rusty, he can't stand how I have him so thoroughly figured out. For Cooper when he played, he couldn't stand the skill gap. Cori I sandbag subconciously because after a while I only exercise as much effort as necessary to win, which she hates as well. As I become more aware of how.people feel about me from.being in their shoes, it's been helping me learn how to conduct myself, albeit slowly.

Jeff, a problem I have is that I learn differently. I need t be able to grind out matches, or play on infinite time for several hours because of how slowly I learn. I need to be able to.force myself into positions that the thing I'm practicing becomes practical in. Because people don't play me, and when they do, lack the patience to allow me to really PRACTICE, I never improve.

Independent practice only helps in the slightest of fashions. I'm not a particularly smart person, and my spacing is awful, so all of that technical skill becomes a moot point when I'm out thought, and out spaced.

Corigames

Smash Hero
The truth is, I really didn't want to play against you. Not in a 'Ugh, I have to play against Corey' kind of way, but in a 'I clearly cause this person pain even though I try to be a good sport, and it makes me feel like a jerk, so I'd rather not play against them'.
:(
I... I'm sorry. I had a lot of **** go down within 8 hours of being picked up before that tournament and hitting two Sheiks in pools that are both obviously better than me just set me over the edge. I was really expecting to make headway in that tournament and I got shut down, hard. I could tell you my personal issues if you want in a pm, I just don't want to post them publicly since I don't need the extra drama. I'm just sorry that you and, most likely other people, feel that way about me. I've been an *** in the past and I've been a ***** in the present, and that's not the person I am in anything else aside from smash. I just get so mad at my short comings in this game because I expect a lot from myself.

Coty, what I said to Elvis is true. I want to play you. I want to play friendlies with you and practice against you. I want to meet you in brackets and pools. I want to beat you. Please don't feel that playing me causes me pain. I go into matches with you expecting them to be difficult and endearing and I still don't have a strong understanding of what fundamental mistakes I make in the MU to cause my problems or how to avoid them if I do. I'm struggling and I don't mean to take it out on you or Rob because you play hard counters to my character. I love you guys and I appreciate you.

A few months ago, I was playing with Forward, and he was trying to tell me something I should do, and I said 'Well I don't think that will work because of this...' and he got really upset with me and quit out of the game, and I instantly lost any and all desire to play.
I think I do this to you guys a lot when you try to tell me things to do with Samus. I'll be more vigilant in listening to suggestions instead of disregarding them like a brat.

As for practice, I just feel burnt out on training mode. I know my tech skill is low, that I'm slow and incompetent, that I make finger errors all the time, that I kill myself attempting things frequently, etc. I know that I could benefit from sitting down for hours on end repeatedly hammering away at the controller, beating in muscle memory and making my moves more consistent and controlled. I know all of that, but I want to play with people. I want to sit down with someone and learn to stay in control under pressure. I need to learn how to focus on applying pressure, reacting to incoming attacks, edge guarding in different ways, laughing with the person next to me, learning how to not get shield pressured, etc. There are so many things you simply cannot learn from computers or training mode and I want to work through them as well as work on my tech. I also just want to hang out with smashers again like, I feel, we use to do a lot.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
In terms of hours per day, I probably played much less than most of you guys. I have been playing lightly but consistently since 2001. Holy **** I've spent literally a full decade playing this game. Although I still can't waveshine backwards with Fox, my spacing is my strength. Something I feel many players forget is that spacing isn't just your own character's hitbox — it's your opponent's as well. For smash, you really have to know the hitboxes for every character in order to space well.

=================

Xander, you really need to stop blaming a lack of competition for your rate of improvement. Sure, good competition helps. It's not the biggest factor. Take the midwest for example. AZ doesn't have weeklies like Cali or Tristate but we still **** in comparison to everywhere else. You're actually taking your competition available for granted.

=================

Learning to learn is underrated. I wish elementary schools had a focus on teaching children the best way to learn. Observing, absorbing, applying. LEARN TO LEARN FOR YOURSELF. Inspirations help but role models are restricting. Armada never *****ed about dthrow knee or anything really. His brother is alright but Armada trained well with what he was given. He was disappointed with other Peaches and was determined to make something of his own.

So this means that you must think that PP sucks and you gotta blow his methods out of the water :troll:

=================

Of course you need to control your own character but controlling your opponent is ****
, literally too heh
. Learn to pick up your opponent's habits more. You're too focused on your flubbed inputs.

=================

Basically the goal of this post was to minimize your johning. Seriously just shut the **** up and play, no whining about circumstances that you present as beyond your control. If you know your weaknesses and can fix it, then fix it. If you can't, then enhance your strengths. Shut the **** up with this whining. It's getting almost as bad as it was last year. Stop fishing for compliments. Get off this topic and have some ****ing fun with this game for Christ's sake.

I'm going to pull a Tony and stop posting for a while, though I'll be lurking the boards still ;) I've been spending too much time here and I'm going to learn some Chopin ballades
and some sick donkey punch set-ups

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Natural Talent? Drive?

First on the idea of 'natural talent', I wish it were as easy as saying I agree with Xander and disagree with Jeff, but there are some things that needed to be added for it to make sense. I think for someone like Xander, who has obviously put in a LOT of effort into the game and still not gotten to where he wants to go, it would be unfair to say that he just hasn't been working hard enough.

PS: Nobody in AZ would be happy if you stopped going to tournaments. We miss you terribly as is.
Coty, you should get your life savings ready then, I'm sure Axe, will be kind enough to allow you to not have to pay him though.

Axe has practiced WAY, and I mean WAY more than you can imagine, I practically watched him grow into what he is today, and lemme say, it didn't just come "natural" to him... He had to put ALOT of work into his game... I WOULD WILLINGLY bet, he most likely has more practiced than MOST of this state put together... His "Motivation/Determination alone, is probably greater than that of most players as it is...<--- This trait alone is rare as it is, for someone to keep a mindset like this for this long.

Honestly, in the earlier parts of Axe's career, while I was training him/helping him get better etc, his drive, was straight up "unmatched" He would practice things, that you wouldn't even imagine/think would be useful.. He'd practice simple movement options, that would help affect his gameplay... We'd go into matches, and play matches with no C-stick, matches with no shielding, matches with random intentional pausing, to increase mere reaction "We've practiced many "questionable things" I've never seen any player that can sit in training mode like Axe had and for about 12+ hours a day, sit in training mode, and practice mere wavedashing/wavelanding/L cancels, etc... on every stage, (even the ones that don't matter, because they're non-tourney viable) 12+ hours DAILY of simple training mode, practicing just MOVEMENT? this also wasn't just a one time thing.. he was in this phase, for a good month or so.. To have the mental focus of doing this part ALONE is outright outstanding... We'd spend another day, simple practicing "Powershielding" 10+hours, just on "(running powershield<SH,aerial) later nicknamed "SV" then on top of that the "casual practice of doing "friendlies" per day as well.. Simply put his mental focus, is like none i've EVER seen before..(I won't go into detail of everything he's done) but this is a simple example, of his drive, that I don't think people know, give credit about)

Another example I won't get into, but definetely helps (Jeff watches alot, and I mean ALOT of videos, players, habits, ideas etc) not necessarily for him to improve on, as an individual player, but what he actually needs to be aware of and watch out for) This is another minor example, but one I'm not going to note, or post about how long he watches players etc, it serves no real relevance, but it helps his case, and how he learns..

This next part isn't a rant towards any specific person in general alone, but towards players that have told Axe, similar comments, and after a while it's annoying. and yeah THAT'S ALOT OF YOU.

It is a complete insult to him, that everyone thinks that he's naturally gifted, or just has natural ability to just come in and play This is just complete BS, and I take it offensive, and i'm not even the one being targeted I guess Forward, Taj, and Wobbles are NATURAL, and they didn't have to work for anything Who are you all to make assumptions, and judge off of what you don't even know?... The truth is most of you I suppose never got to see him when he was a premature player..I certainly have..

Many of you don't even know this, but Axe was going to give up, many, MANY, MANY, times.. While training with him, all we'd talk about is how we wanted to catch up to Taj/Forward... Taj was a MAJOR inspiration to me, and I wanted to surpass him, and I wanted him to notice me as a player, I wanted to be acknowledged by him, (Mewtwo wise, and as a player) and Forward, was Axe's main goal, as he wanted to be the best player in AZ. It's hard to even remember how many times Jeff had come up to me with doubts in his abilities... luckily I was there to help guide him and believe in himself/his character because IRONICALLY it was HIM, and TAJ that made me realize, that time/dedication/effort/determination etc, can give him, and even myself these goals.. since Jeff's Pikachu was my first loss, when I was advanced. (I had the mindset that MOST of this community has with high tiers) etc... I'm thankful to him, and Taj for realizing that this isn't true. they helped me realize to have faith, and when the time came, I helped him realize, the same lesson he helped me realize.

Most of you don't even know this, but Jeff dropped Pikachu for a good bit, and put his focus on high tier characters, for a few months or so... (Simple self-doubt) causes this... Combine that with his frustration that comes along with it, since he was not able to beat Forward for multiple months, and not to mention frustration for being unable to beat me (his training partner) consistently as well... Sure Jeff's a nice guy, and he won't show it, but he's a competitor as well. (Losing to the person/player you're training with, along with your goal of wanting to become the best) It's obviously going to deteriorate your confidence. Combine the mental focus it requires to play Pikachu/low tier character, and his goal to want to play/prove people that (Pikachu) can be played at top level play. There's a great amount of stress that went through his head. Not to mention half of this state, kept URGING him to play Falco/Fox/high tier character, (many of you and the community still do) and that Pikachu can't do it... Yes, he's going to question his ability as a player. It's like "peer pressure" The players he wanted to overcome, were the same players, telling him he needed to play a better character to achieve success... The other players, that also told him, (that weren't as good as he was) may had told him the same thing, (but that's only because their lack of success as well, and because they may have listened to the better players as well to achieve their own personal form of success. To be blunt in this example, MOST of you other players were a source of Jeff's agony, which only further made his doubts, seem realistic. But i'm saying too much, and even then, most of you probably won't understand.

It is indeed true that some players learn faster than others etc, I dont think anyone can deny that. However, this concept also flirts with how well/detailed someone pays attention as well.. This is what "justifies" who does/doesn't learn fast. With that comes this theory, that people have to use, (topic discussion) to make themselves feel better about their own lack of personal success. (No one can deny it, we've ALL done this in SOME kind of way, whether with education/physical fitness, personal success etc.) at some time in our lifetime. I honestly believe learning faster, than someone else etc, is a mere excuse to discredit another person's ability to learn and pay attention, which is what's being said to Axe atm. In theory, WE ALL have an ability to learn fast, adapt. Just because Axe realizes things/learns things quicker than another is like an insult. Don't discredit his ability to understand. Someone obviously taught him education/morals of life, and many other subjects I can bring in here, that I won't. I think you're all discrediting his ability to understand/learn/adapt about many things, almost down to the detail. Axe's attention to detail is downright amazing as well. (To be blunt he asks questions, and he asks MANY of them, since he'd rather fully understand how it works/doesn't work, rather than risk not knowing it's weaknesses/advantages... Combine that with his "constant practice" No **** he's gonna have good *** results. Minor details like these others don't even pay attention to, or are easily overlooked. This is a "basic' example, and I'd rather not get too deep into it, it's too much to explain, if you don't fully understand the general concept.

I honestly don't know what more I want to put here. I feel uneasy, insulted about many things, and don't exactly know what I want to say, and i'm positive Axe feels this way too, but you all know he won't say anything. He'll let everyone discredit him, without hesitation, since he doesn't wanna bring conflict. I don't even mean harm, at all by this post, towards anyone either... To be real, this is a simple belief of what Axe, and I believe, feel, and have ALWAYS felt this way.... Not to take anything from anyone but NOBODY, knows Axe, what he's gone through, likes/dislikes better than me.. NOBODY is even close... We're not even near anymore, and I STILL know, him better than anyone.. and will understand him better than anyone... I've been there through all of this, not to mention, I'm the guy who helped train him, and have been there for him.

TLDR, (oh yeah it's long) but it needed to be said. No disrespect towards anyone, but I feel.....no, I KNOW Axe feels disrespected right now, and it needs to be noted...and I'm going to stick up for him, cuz it's nonsense, and I know he won't.

~Vman~

EDIT: @Taj - Like I complained months ago, about "certain things" It seems Tony is seeing more what I saw back then. and the relevance/importance of attending our monthlies, is heading towards a "negative" direction, His reasoning(s) may/may not be the same, but I'm sure the general idea, is in the same direction and has been for a while. Some players just don't have the proper mindset, and it's draining/annoying to have to deal with, time and time again... but it's fine. (I'm not the type to repeat, "I told ya so, to a community, as it's pointless and noone will listen...Hopefully, sooner rather than later, understandings can be met, how soon though, I've no idea. This state has enough pride/ego, as it is..

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
It is a complete insult to him, that everyone thinks that he's naturally gifted, or just has natural ability to just come in and play This is just complete BS, and I take it offensive, and i'm not even the one being targeted I guess Forward, Taj, and Wobbles are NATURAL, and they didn't have to work for anything Who are you all to make assumptions, and judge off of what you don't even know?... The truth is most of you I suppose never got to see him when he was a premature player..I certainly have..
That, btw, was an awesome read. Not tl;dr to me at all.

From this and Coty's comment, I think Axe's drive is the same thing as his natural talent. It's like his natural drive and desire to become good at something he loves, which translates to talent as a result of time, effort, and most importantly the heart and soul investment put into it. I've experienced something similar where I was extremely good at something I had basically no practice with, but I excelled at it because I put my whole heart and soul into it. I think one's drive to do what one loves to do and excel in it is their true gift.

Not trying to get into anyone's business, but I just wanted to comment, lurking and all as I may do. :x

Top Bottom