• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
I was with Tai last night when he asked Rob about tournaments lol, it happened.

Also I think Girku is better than Eef. I played both last weekend and Girku did far better against me.

And I think the easiest way for all parties to solve the argument about rankings is that we have a set number of tournaments you HAVE to attend (like one out of the most recent three or four) to be on the rankings. AND we should extend it to top 15. Will it be a kind of pain for the panelists? Yes. Does that really matter? No.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
When I first started playing Melee, I never would have believed that I would one day make Sean say this:

My #1 priority was to beat Tai. Like he said we agreed to split the $ but it was personal for me and I had to get salty revenge for losing to him at the last tourney.

bubz

Smash Rookie
i think you guys should just keep the rankings the way they are and just continue with your tourneys and when those good players do come, you play them try and take their rank there and if not then wait another few months until they come back. People who dont play at all should be taken off. so that would be chris if im right. i dont think you should take someone off if you know that theyre eventually going to play sometime in the future. Also, happy thanksgiving :)

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm the #1 best Mario Kart 64 player in AZ.
You will never get to play me, so this will always be true.
I will always be #1 until I quit.

bubz

Smash Rookie
well once you have proven that you are on par with those top players in some way then you can debate about their position on the rankings. i dont know why our 14th best is complaining about our top 4 best players being on the rankings. it just sounds like an excuse to get higher placing. until you prove that youre anywhere near their level then i think you better plug in your controller and step into training mode until you do get to their level and theyre going to play eventually anyways...............you all know it too, (except for chris, hes the only questionable one) by taking them off now is just going to cause confusion for when you guys(if you guys) get on to their skill level. If anyone should be complaing about this is tai, because hes the closest one in skill on the PR to them, and hes not even complaining about it so everyone below him should quit this nonsense.

bubz

Smash Rookie
I'm the #1 best Mario Kart 64 player in AZ.
You will never get to play me, so this will always be true.
I will always be #1 until I quit.
For people like you who are always blinded by anger is best to just stay out of the way cause its difficult for you to be open minded and see the big picture.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, I didn't know that only the top 5 people in the state were allowed to levy their opinions on issues without being labeled whiny *****es. I guess all of my ideas and attempts at a well reasoned argument was just a thinly veiled attempt to sneakily put myself as a high ranking player in AZ without putting in any effort. Damn. Foiled.

If you aren't playing, then you aren't a player. Simple. If you want to make an all-time best list, then have at it. I encourage it and would support it in any way that I can. If you want to have a rankings list of the best players in state, then the list should be comprised of people that are active more than once a year. If Brett Favre played in one game per season, would you say that he's a full-on player or still retired?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i'm pretty sure axe is the very last person in arizona who would ever retire from melee. forward has pretty much retired, taj has little to no interest/intent in competing at all at the moment, and neither does GG7.

even before jeff had his surgery, he still played a lot with us. he just needed a month's notice to request the day off for the tournaments, and the tournaments were always announced.... three weeks in advance.

wobbles is a slightly different case from axe. his fire isn't as ever-burning as axe's, but he still has the intent to stay with the game.

bubz

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry, I didn't know that only the top 5 people in the state were allowed to levy their opinions on issues without being labeled whiny *****es. I guess all of my ideas and attempts at a well reasoned argument was just a thinly veiled attempt to sneakily put myself as a high ranking player in AZ without putting in any effort. Damn. Foiled.

If you aren't playing, then you aren't a player. Simple. If you want to make an all-time best list, then have at it. I encourage it and would support it in any way that I can. If you want to have a rankings list of the best players in state, then the list should be comprised of people that are active more than once a year. If Brett Favre played in one game per season, would you say that he's a full-on player or still retired?
just be quiet and go into training mode

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
it may sound too subjective for my taste, but i honestly think intent to continue playing should be a factor in determining who is and is not active.

forward does not intend to keep playing
taj has no intent to keep playing at the moment
gg7 has no intent to make time or keep playing

it may be hard to measure "intent" in a scientific, objective, numerical sense, but not everything in the world has to be ruled by the iron fist of bureaucracy.

right now, it's clear as day that assuming they were to be ranked, wobbles is #1 and axe is #2
they're both planning on going to apex and taking it seriously
they both plan on attending tournaments after that

their attendance recently has definitely been lacking, but their standings in arizona are still so easy to see, so they're not compromising anything in terms of organization. i'm pretty sure (read: 100% sure) that the person directly below axe and wobbles doesn't feel slighted that he doesn't have a chance to prove himself against axe and wobbles because that person understands that it's not quite his time to prove it yet, so we're not doing him any disservice at all by taking away taking away his chance to steal their rankings.

and because they still plan on coming back, they are relevant additions to our PR because they're not down and out. because they haven't actually quit/retired, you can still expect great things out of them in the months/years to come. if someone from out-of-state were to look at our PR, they could see wobbles and axe at the top and expect wobbles and axe to put in mad work at the next big event with AZ attendance.

forward is a good example of who NOT to rank. if we were to rank forward, he would not be a relevant figure on the PR because he is NOT going to attend important tournaments, for the most part, so we no longer have any reason to assign a high-performance expectation from him. if someone from out-of-state were to look at our PR and saw forward, on the other hand, they could very probably be tempted to expect forward to do something big at an upcoming relevant tournament, but the fact of the matter is that forward is pretty much done with the game, and we shouldn't expect him to go out and perform to those standards anymore.

tl;dr: i don't think a PR should be either a list of the best players with very active attendance or a list of the best players of all time. i think it should be something of a forecast of who you should expect high-performance standards from.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I can agree with that.
I just think that there should be a clear cut off for number of major AZ tournies missed or months without tournament play.

And if you edit that one more time Tai, I'll... not do anything.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I can agree with that.
I just think that there should be a clear cut off for number of major AZ tournies missed or months without tournament play.

And if you edit that one more time Tai, I'll... not do anything.
glad that we've come to some sort of agreement :) as for the second part, though, i didn't really think much about that. i'm not sure if i agree fully, but i see your point. although i personally would be really lenient in implementing any sort of cut-off like that because if we WERE to create a "greatest players of all time" vs "best active players" dichotomy/power ranking philosophical spectrum (which is NOT what i am suggesting we do), i would lean slightly towards the "greatest players of all time" side (tl;dr: i don't like taking good players off rankings).

also, i personally think that out-of-state tournaments should at least count for attendance, if not rankings. i don't see how you can call someone inactive when they dropped several hundred dollars to rep your state on the big stage (for reference, G2 was about 4 months ago)

p.s. only one of those edits was important. all of the others were change pronouns, fix subject-verb agreement, and to add the word "that."

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
My favorite part about talking about Forward is that he can't name search :troll:

Lol @ Joey telling other people to watch their anger. Poor Joey feeling lonely on Thanksgiving in NY and posting in the AZ thread. We miss you too Joey.

I entered the tournament, does my DK belong on the ranking yet?

:phone:

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
You have Jeff who can't get a day off because of how anal his work is about requesting days off and then you have Rob who was completely oblivious to that we even have tournaments REGULARLY.

Sounds pretty legit if you ask me. And I'd agree with Tai. That is the exact reason that attendance doesn't ALWAYS mean ****. Just because Sean went to the ONE tournament and because he played Melee with me last night doesn't mean he's going to full time get back into it or that he should matter because he will never travel out of state again or be part of the major scene again. If you guys hadn't noticed in fact Sean only went to win money LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

LOL @ Joey. ****ing Joey goddamn you're the best.

Top Bottom