• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I disagree with the notion that anyone can achieve greatness.

The more I play the more it shows me that I'm not made out for greatness, just a stepping stone for up and comers.

:phone:

Apathy

Smash Apprentice
I disagree with the notion that anyone can achieve greatness.

The more I play the more it shows me that I'm not made out for greatness, just a stepping stone for up and comers.

anyone can achieve greatness if they work at it. 10K hours of practice to become an expert bro.

specialized practice too, not just random ****.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
And in my case, it's just not going to happen. I have played seeral years longer than most people. I've clocked in thousands of hours of specialized training more than just about any smasher, and what do I have to show for it? Absolutely nothing.

It's pretty obvious to me that I've hit my peak. :/

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
what is the point of removing the 4 best players in the state from a list of best players in the state?

it would be silly to make a 1-10 ranking and then attach an asterisk saying that the only reason they have that number is because they weren't good enough to sit at the big kids' table

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
what about the ~5 players that most people agree deserve recognition, and attend tournies more regularly than the legendariegenerally speaking?

if the legends idea gets rejected, at least extend it to a top 15
what about them? i'm one of them. hell, i should be the poster child of them.

i'd be #1 on our PR if we implemented the legends idea
and i'm by far the person most strongly against it

sorry, i don't want to be #1 at the kiddy table

seriously, setting aside an elite four on our PR would make me feel as though there is some innate, intrinsic reason that i am below them. frankly, there isn't. wobbles, axe, and taj are all human, and i don't want to resign myself to perpetual submission just because i'm too much of a starstruck little ***** to even try to get better and join them.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Or you're like me and just don't have the talent necessary to take advantage of playing with good people and dumping obscene amounts of practice in.

Jane

Smash Hero
what is the point of removing the 4 best players in the state from a list of best players in the state?

it would be silly to make a 1-10 ranking and then attach an asterisk saying that the only reason they have that number is because they weren't good enough to sit at the big kids' table
it's not removing them from the list, it would just be transporting them to a brand new area of the list.

what about them? i'm one of them. hell, i should be the poster child of them.

i'd be #1 on our PR if we implemented the legends idea
and i'm by far the person most strongly against it

sorry, i don't want to be #1 at the kiddy table

seriously, setting aside an elite four on our PR would make me feel as though there is some innate, intrinsic reason that i am below them. frankly, there isn't. wobbles, axe, and taj are all human, and i don't want to resign myself to perpetual submission just because i'm too much of a starstruck little ***** to even try to get better and join them.
you'd be number 1 under the proposed system, yes (since chris is innactive). but whether we set the elite 4 apart or not, you are still the de facto king of the kiddy table, haha. its just that now there would be a clear distinction for the world to see. in actuality that would be the only difference--the distinction of the decorated veterans and the rest of the bunch. this doesnt mean that you one day can't join their lunch table. all it would mean is that we would paint a big red line to make the distinction. the big red line is already there, because their distinct greatness above everyone else is acknowledged and praised by most, whether in AZ or not.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero

it's not removing them from the list, it would just be transporting them to a brand new area of the list.
what's the point of creating a new area of the list?

like, what possible reason in the world is there to EXCLUDE counting the top 4 players just because they're a lot better than the people below them? a PR is supposed to be a list of the best players in the region, so why are we removing our FOUR BEST PLAYERS (40% of the PR) from being counted?

all it does is make the numbering system absolutely worthless.

in other words, the only thing it does is inflate everyone's ranking without actually accomplishing anything. sure, i'm #1, but what does that really mean? it means i'm #1 behind the top 4. what's the point of assigning me #1 if my actual standing in the state will always be offset by four?

if you want to cater to the lower-level players by giving them a shot at the rankings, then we should expand the rankings to 15/honorable mentions. we shouldn't destroy the upper echelon of the rankings just to make room for all the fresh meat who want theirs.

AXE 09

Smash Master
To be blunt, they are 4 players that are better than most of us... not 4 players that you can never surpass..
Very good point. Just practice you guys. Get better and better if you want to get to the top.

Xander, you thought you reached your peak a long time ago but even you know that you've improved a lot within the past year. You think I have "natural talent?" I had to work very hard for nearly 5 years, practicing pretty much EVERY DAY for HOURS AND HOURS to get to the point where I am. I don't think I have any natural talent in the slightest. Even today (well not atm because I haven't been able to play since I had surgery, but before I had surgery...) I would practice for AT LEAST 2 hours EVERY day BY MYSELF. If I play with others, then I'll play for anywhere from 4 - 8 hours that day, and still practice by myself the next day for at least 2 hours.

I got to where I am now through hard work and practice! Not through natural talent. By no means am I a fast learner. I'm just very determined, and constantly push myself to be a top player and learn as many new things as I can to better myself. You can do it Xander. Don't give up.

Also as a serious question... should I not enter AZ tourneys anymore?

Jane

Smash Hero
@tai
you'd be excluding 30% of the list, because sean isn't on it right now. but i see your point--degradation of the power ranking. for that reason i would say i now stand behind the idea of expanding the rankings to a top 15.

@jeff
no, you should continue to enter tournies.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
You should enter tourneys.

Also I practice just as often as you do, and I've played a year longer than you. That's more proof that it's just impossible for some people.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Well, it was my idea, but I still stand by having a legends section of the PR.

It doesn't mean that players in the Top 10 will never reach that point, because I want to be on that notable list of people someday too.

I feel like I'm one of those players who has a natural talent for both, I just wish I had the time to practice more.

Also Jeff, you should always go our tournaments. You have no idea how sad I am everytime to not to see you competing.

The top players are the key for us to get to next level. But I will say, it has been nice making money these past couple tourneys ;)

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Also I practice just as often as you do, and I've played a year longer than you. That's more proof that it's just impossible for some people.
There are very, very few things that are possible for some people and impossible for others. Yes, it's probably true that Jeff has some sort of natural proclivity towards being good at Melee, and yes, it might therefore take people like you and me more time/effort to achieve his level, but it's not like he was born able to JC grab and SDI. Competing with Jeff's "natural advantage" is more like competing with a pianist who has fingers 2mm longer than yours: yes, slightly longer fingers are technically an advantage when playing piano, but there's so much more to playing piano that the extra 2mm hardly matters in the long run. Likewise, there is so much more to playing Melee that even if Jeff HAD been born able to JC grab and SDI, it still wouldn't make a huge difference in the long run.

And don't give me any crap about IQ, because IQ can change over time and is kind of bull**** to begin with.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Just gonna leave the fact that I've had zero improvement in the past 8 months, and have played lower than par these last two out for the naysayers to mull over.

kid tipper

Smash Cadet
Jeff you gotta come back down man. I want to see you and taj and everybody at a tourny again and I could bring some more of my bad friends and be like yea thats the best pikachu in the world nbd and they would be inspired

Corigames

Smash Hero
I refuse to believe that I won't get better than Taj, Wobbles, Forward, Light, Axe, Tai, GG7, SK, Ruby, Okami, Coty, Jackie, V3ctorman, or anyone else currently better than me. There are people that they lose to. There are people that those people lose to, and so on. I might not ever be on top, Ken, PC Chris, M2K, Mango... but my aspirations are not mirages nor impossible to achieve.

The PR should be a ranking of the current best players in state. Not the all time best. Not the coolest. Not the one what made the most combo videos. Not everyone in the state. The current, top players. If someone isn't showing, they shouldn't be showcased. If someone is performing and doing well, they should be recognized. That simple. This is what the list needs: Accuracy, up to date; Competition, ability to prove yourself; and Motivation, punishment for absence/low placings.

Tai, you need to deal with being #1. Taj says he's retired, at least for now. GG7 and Axe haven't been to a tournament since Genesis. Wobbles played in Sept and Forward in Oct. If the people that would normally be ranked higher than you stop playing, then, naturally, you will be in first place. Maybe that makes you feel uncomfortable or that it's an honor undeserved, but it's the truth. If there are no competitors above you, you are number one whether you like it or not. Deal with it and stop hatin yourself. You are amazing.
Likewise, Jeff, you don't dare give up on participating in AZ smash. I need to ****ing destroy you with my Samus. I need to. I need to. If you stop now, I won't get that chance. You would take that hope away from me without my consent. You know what that is? Stealing. You know what that does to my dreams? It kills them. Murder. Threatening to stop showing up to tournaments for an asinine reason as the one currently being discussed is repulsive, malicious, premeditated murder. Can you live with that?
Xander. Self ostracizing emo behavior. V_V*

Personally, I think the list just needs to be more regularly updated and should be based more off a pure mathematical algorithm instead of subjective democracy. Voting makes any change difficult since you have to get everyone's opinion. Some people don't even show up to tournaments, some don't watch online videos, some don't even play during times of nomination. Just make the thing factual, that anyone can read and understand, and update it constantly. I don't think anyone would be particularly unhappy about that and the PR could source AZ tournament results threads if there are any ranks in question.

Peace

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
To the above: I feel the same way about when people better than me quit. I don't think anyone knows how upset I am about Forward quitting, or Chris going MIA.

If Jeff quit I'd never be able to get a legitimate win from him, as I'm not satisfied with my current victory.

The dame.goes for V3ctorman quitting falco. The Guy has been my hero since 2009, usurping Forward as my inspiration. When he quit Falco, it really upset me. I worked so hard to become a stylish, technical beast and my main source of inspiration left, leaving me empty.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
I wouldn't blame anyone for losing interest. It's just that the people who lose interest shouldn't be on the PR. There's already a section for them: Currently Inactive Players. What Corey is trying to say (and I totally agree with this) is that players who do not play, regardless of how good they are, should be considered Currently Inactive and should not be on a PR which is meant to showcase Currently Active Players.

Currently Inactive doesn't have to mean Permanently Inactive. Have legit johns for not showing? No prob, we'll give you back your placement (provided nobody has surpassed you) when you attend another couple of tournaments.

And Jeff, you better be at the next tournament. I need revenge for you sandbagging me a few months ago 8D Not that Angel and Jackie aren't great, but I could also use another low-tier character to look up to (I suppose this should also go for V3ctorman).

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Well remember the important thing is if they show up to tournaments at least ONCE. Sean usually isn't ranked so he wouldn't be even though he showed up.

Robbles however could be and considering that he literally 3 stocks everyone to say that he didn't show up to a few tournaments means he isn't better is a blatant lie. The reason people like GG7 and(possibly Tony? idk) should be taken off is because it's hard to know where to rank them because you don't know if others have gotten better than them, etc. Honestly the same goes for Jeff and how good he is, I don't know why he didn't show up to the other tournaments but this last one he was recovering from surgery and that's pretty major.

What the hell are you going to write about Wobbles and Axe if you put Tai at first? Inactive? I just don't think that inactivity makes them not deserves their ranks in consideration to NO ONE passing them up. They are still easily and obviously 1 and 2. Extend the PR to 15 if you want but I don't think there's a point because having it be top 10 only makes it more of a goal to want to get on. Just take off Tony and Chris but leave everything else and then change ranks accordingly or w/e.

Corigames

Smash Hero
"I just don't think that inactivity makes them not deserves their ranks in consideration to NO ONE passing them up."
I disagree. If you aren't currently competing, then you shouldn't be ranked. In what other competition can a person not show up to a few games in a series or miss a few tournaments in a row and not be considered on leave? Otherwise, you might as well have every single person that has ever competed that we somewhat agree was/is good on there. There was a tourney in Sept, Oct, and this month. Unless there was one that took place after June that I wasn't aware of, that means, if you have yet to play in one since Genesis, half of a year has gone by with them on idle. If 5-6 months of inactivity isn't enough, then what is? A year without tournament play? What if they go to one in a single year, are they still active?

Why not just have a list that is constantly changing, moving, and evolving after every tournament instead of playing guessing games with if we should wait for people to return or if some new people will beat them. If they do come back and they are as good as they left, then they'll get their position back lickety split anyway. No one would be dissing AXE for not being on the list. We know why he's not, and I bet as soon as he comes back he'd be right on top again no problem.

It's not disrespectful to put only current players on the list. It's not disrespectful to take inactive or missing players off of it. I'm also not trying to force people off the list either to benefit myself , as they would be bypassing this issue if they had any motivation/ability to even attend. "I worked for years trying to get to X place! Now I've got to climb back up there because I missed a few tournies?" If you dominate like you did before, then you would get your place back. It would be like you were never gone.

What's the problem with that?

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
"I just don't think that inactivity makes them not deserves their ranks in consideration to NO ONE passing them up."
I disagree. If you aren't currently competing, then you shouldn't be ranked. In what other competition can a person not show up to a few games in a series or miss a few tournaments in a row and not be considered on leave? Otherwise, you might as well have every single person that has ever competed that we somewhat agree was/is good on there. There was a tourney in Sept, Oct, and this month. Unless there was one that took place after June that I wasn't aware of, that means, if you have yet to play in one since Genesis, half of a year has gone by with them on idle. If 5-6 months of inactivity isn't enough, then what is? A year without tournament play? What if they go to one in a single year, are they still active?

Why not just have a list that is constantly changing, moving, and evolving after every tournament instead of playing guessing games with if we should wait for people to return or if some new people will beat them. If they do come back and they are as good as they left, then they'll get their position back lickety split anyway. No one would be dissing AXE for not being on the list. We know why he's not, and I bet as soon as he comes back he'd be right on top again no problem.

It's not disrespectful to put only current players on the list. It's not disrespectful to take inactive or missing players off of it. I'm also not trying to force people off the list either to benefit myself , as they would be bypassing this issue if they had any motivation/ability to even attend. "I worked for years trying to get to X place! Now I've got to climb back up there because I missed a few tournies?" If you dominate like you did before, then you would get your place back. It would be like you were never gone.

What's the problem with that?
Your 2nd paragraph makes no sense. First you say why guess on where they should be then you say if Jeff wasn't on you know he'd come back and just be where he was. That's why I'm saying not to move him. Everyone knows they'd get 3 stocked by him so there's no point in NOT putting someone on a list because then it's more of a goal to strive for to actually GET ON because then it makes it harder. Inactivity shouldn't directly effect someone unless their current rank becomes questionable due to others getting better.

This is why I say ONLY Chris and Tony should be taken off. This is not to say that Tai IS better than one or the other(and as humble as Tai is he won't ever say anything regarding stuff like this).

To me a lot of the problem with taking people off and idc if I come off as a douchebag when I say this, but it lets you promote lesser players as being good enough to be top 10 in the state. As I said power rankings should only be kept to top 10 as to decide who REALLY works their *** off to get where they are and it shows for it. Coty is the best example of this. In a nutshell, whoever you are(not just you Corey or w/e) get better than 12th or 14th or whatever the hell you realistically are and stop ****ing whining.

Oh and Jeff idc if you're okay with being taken off because you're nice and yadda yadda. You're a ****ing monster and you are staying on this.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Everyone knows they'd get 3 stocked by him so there's no point in NOT putting someone on a list because then it's more of a goal to strive for to actually GET ON because then it makes it harder.
I think what Corey is saying is that although keeping the list at top 10 is making it a goal to GET ON, taking people off the list for inactivity would make it a goal to STAY ON. If we follow your logic, Wobbles and Jeff wouldn't ever have to come to a tournament to keep their rank. They could basically stop playing, and by the time somebody surpasses them (assuming they didn't play AT ALL during this time) the memory of just how good they were will be fuzzy and questionable and how good they would actually be if they were to not play for that long would be even more questionable. We all know about Jeff's surgery. But we all want him to come back.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
**** Jeff, I want my Timmy back.

Also Forward.

In reality, I actually wish people would stop quitting. I love everyone in AZ.

Corigames

Smash Hero
...you say why guess on where they should be then you say if Jeff wasn't on you know he'd come back and just be where he was. That's why I'm saying not to move him. Everyone knows they'd get 3 stocked by him so there's no point in NOT putting someone on a list because then it's more of a goal to strive for to actually GET ON because then it makes it harder. Inactivity shouldn't directly effect someone unless their current rank becomes questionable due to others getting better.
So I guess Bruce Lee is the best fighter in the world right now. Einstein is the most brilliant scientist of today. Thomas Jefferson is the best president we currently have. If someone is not playing, they are not ranked. You cannot be one of the best at something if you don't actually do that something. Yes, they are most likely better than us when they do compete, but that doesn't mean **** if they aren't going to tournaments and putting that reputation on the line. You cannot be on a current list and not be currently playing. Ken could be the best player in the world in smash this very minute, but he doesn't play so it doesn't matter. If you were to make a list based on recent results, you couldn't even hypothesize his position.

This creates a few situations that I think would be favorable to the community. First, there is incentive to go to as many tournaments as possible in order to maintain your position. This keeps players already in a dominating position still active in events instead of riding out their success by getting there and then coasting. Second, this means that the PR would be more tight with players in constant shuffle between ranks. Someone's success in a single tournament could move them up a rank, a failure could knock them down. It makes the list more intense and active which keeps hype up surrounding placements. Additionally, by keeping the list up-to-date as possible, you provide a more accurate representation of the skill in AZ at that current time which is, generally, the primary goal of a PR. Even if Axe could 4 stock us with his eyes closed using only one hand, it isn't a true representation of AZ talent of he's on top but no one ever plays him and no one out of state hears/sees anything about him.
Some drawbacks that I can think of would stem from the lack of stable PRs. Since the list would be in a constant state of flux, it might be considered to flexible and the positions would begin to lose their significance. Two people could end up flip-flopping on the same position for months as they alternate tourny placements or what have you. I'm not going to say it's perfect or I have foreknowledge that this is a good idea, but I don't see what's wrong with removing people that don't play the game since the only detriment is immediately absolved by them coming back to the game even, possibly, one time.

but it lets you promote lesser players as being good enough to be top 10 in the state.
"Lesser" players are better than a non-player. Let's have a tournament of Taj, Forward, Wobbles, ChuckE, Light, Dark, Vectorman, GG7, AXE, etc. all vs each other. It wouldn't work because none of those people would even show up based off the trend of their recent attendance. How is that something more admirable than a few scrubby shmucks actually putting in the hours and sweat to try and get good? Is it really so insulting to say that maybe people that haven't played since half a year ago should be put on temporary leave even though we still respect and admire them?

In a nutshell, whoever you are(not just you Corey or w/e) get better than 12th or 14th or whatever the hell you realistically are and stop ****ing whining.
Insulting me doesn't make you right, and I don't see how that has relevance here. We are discussing how best to proceed about listing people on the ranking that we can all agree on. Telling me to stop *****ing about something I am giving rational reasons for is just an attempt to discredit me without actually addressing what I'm saying. Cut it out.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
I think what Corey is saying is that although keeping the list at top 10 is making it a goal to GET ON, taking people off the list for inactivity would make it a goal to STAY ON. If we follow your logic, Wobbles and Jeff wouldn't ever have to come to a tournament to keep their rank. They could basically stop playing, and by the time somebody surpasses them (assuming they didn't play AT ALL during this time) the memory of just how good they were will be fuzzy and questionable and how good they would actually be if they were to not play for that long would be even more questionable. We all know about Jeff's surgery. But we all want him to come back.
I'm not saying they wouldn't have to play for awhile. But if it's clear they're still better there is literally no point in taking them off for the time being. Is there a line between being able to not play at all for awhile and just being like "Oh we still know they're better" but because of inactivity they should be taken off? Yes most certainly but I don't think it has been reached yet.

And as stated if we're really going to update it right now Wobbles is still on because of Sept.

But then of course everyone is going to find some problem with that and ***** and whine and moan until they get their way and are on the rankings. Good ol AZ smash.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
yesterday....

Me: Hey, Rob, why haven't you been showing up to tournaments?
Wobbles: ....we have tournaments?

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
yesterday....

Me: Hey, Rob, why haven't you been showing up to tournaments?
Wobbles: ....we have tournaments?
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

10thises.

Anyways ignoring everyone else is anyone really offended by

1. Wobbles
2. Axe
3. Tai
4. Kyle
5. Coty
6. Xander
7. Okami
8. Angel
9. Girku/Eef/Frosty
10. Girku/Eef/Frosty

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
9. Eef
10. Girku

I don't know how they rank themselves personally. Eef's playstyle is more overall better. Girku is more flashy.

Honorable mentions:

Elvis/Frosty/Cori.

Top Bottom